Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 129157 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #770 on: January 17, 2018, 02:16:05 PM »
I dont really spin Coma Ecplitic. But I enjoy it a lot when I do. So I consider it good.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #771 on: January 17, 2018, 02:34:01 PM »
So pumped for a new album.  This band just doesn't disappoint.

Well I'd argue that Coma Ecliptic was a disappointment. That might just be me though.

I'll definitely be giving the new one a spin though, bring it.

I was lukewarm with it at first, but it's grown into one of my favs.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #772 on: January 17, 2018, 03:44:09 PM »
Well I'd argue that Coma Ecliptic was a disappointment. That might just be me though.

Same here. Nowadays I listen to it more often than Great Misdirect and Parallax.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #773 on: January 17, 2018, 04:25:19 PM »
EDIT: Old news.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: January 17, 2018, 06:39:35 PM »

Same here. Nowadays I listen to it more often than Great Misdirect and Parallax.

Colors, Parallax 2 and Coma are the three I rotate a lot more than the rest.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #775 on: January 17, 2018, 07:20:43 PM »
Of the 4 latest albums, TGM is by far the most underrated.

That being said, Parallax II is my favorite album (if only it had TGM’s production)

Online faizoff

« Reply #777 on: January 17, 2018, 07:59:26 PM »
short clip
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/953725385862144000/pu/vid/1280x720/IozqXStsrFyAiJed.mp4

Awesome, can't wait for the new album. I personally loved Coma Ecliptic. Will definitely have to try and catch them in Orlando this year.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #778 on: January 18, 2018, 08:19:19 AM »
So I have to say I don't love the idea of splitting the album into two releases. Seems like a cash grab to me.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #779 on: January 18, 2018, 08:29:09 AM »
So I have to say I don't love the idea of splitting the album into two releases. Seems like a cash grab to me.

Agreed. They’re also catering to people with short attention span

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #780 on: January 18, 2018, 09:02:50 AM »
The snippet from the upcoming single makes it sound like a blend between The Great Misdirect and Alaska kind of, if that were the case I would be reaally excited.

Same sentiments about that double album idea. Looking at the track lengths, the first part totals about 35 minutes (don't know if the tracklist for the 2nd album has already been revealed?).

Cause it hasn't been posted I figured I'd link to the tracklist of Automata I

1. Condemned to the Gallows (6:35)
2. House Organ (3:41)
3. Yellow Eyes (8:45)
4. Millions (4:43)
5. Gold Distance (1:02)
6. Blot (10:27)

Condemned to Gallows seems to be the single they're releasing tomorrow.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #781 on: January 18, 2018, 09:33:15 AM »
If the first part is only 35 minutes, assuming the other one is equal in length.. just put it out as a normal album? Their other albums are ~60-70 minutes anyways.

When a band like BTBAM says they're putting out two twin albums, you expect both to be at least 45-50 minutes.

Online ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #782 on: January 18, 2018, 09:36:04 AM »
35 minutes is a little short but honestly I find most modern album lengths to be exhausting so I'm fairly happy with it. It would be nice if it was a little cheaper though.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #783 on: January 18, 2018, 10:26:18 AM »

Can't please everyone right.

Anyways I'm excites for the albums. It all depends on how it sounds.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: January 18, 2018, 12:59:13 PM »
You'd expect part 2 to be longer, ala Parallax 1 and 2, hopefully.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #785 on: January 18, 2018, 01:02:04 PM »
Of the 4 latest albums, TGM is by far the most underrated.

That being said, Parallax II is my favorite album (if only it had TGM’s production)

Is it really though? I feel like Coma Ecliptic gets the least love out of the last 4 by a wide margin and most of the fans on board with prog-BTBAM (there's still the purist fanboys who only like up to Alaska) seem to like TGM a lot.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #786 on: January 18, 2018, 01:37:34 PM »
I find like 75% or more of the music they've written/released since The Great Misdirect has had far too much extended/long-winded sections that don't go anywhere for me.

Whereas Silent Circus-Colors really has very little to none of that.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #787 on: January 18, 2018, 05:46:18 PM »
I haven't even heard the first two albums because it has been my understanding that Alaska was a dramatic shift in a more progressive direction and that SC was a bit more straight forward death metal.     I used to be big into death metal, but I actually find it fairly one-dimensional (in most cases...not all).   I only got into BTBAM because they were so dramatically different.   In fact, while I do *LOVE* Alaska and Colors, I find myself liking them more with each album because they've grown to where they have 10 different styles in a blender instead of just 4 or 5.   I heard someone describe Coma Ecliptic as "Between the Buried and Queen Theater" and I think that's pretty accurate.   I feel they are becoming even more diverse than they ever have been, and it's amazing.   

So....is SC a pretty much straight forward hard core album?  Or does it have the same "chaos with melody in a blender" qualities that Alaska does?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #788 on: January 18, 2018, 08:09:36 PM »
If you like Alaska you'll like SC.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #789 on: January 18, 2018, 10:10:57 PM »

Online ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #790 on: January 18, 2018, 10:50:45 PM »
If you like Alaska you'll like SC.

Incorrect. Alaska is one of my favorites and Silent Circus is bottom of the heap, I think it's garbage. I do like the debut though

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #791 on: January 18, 2018, 10:52:12 PM »
my opinion on the new song:

yeah, it's ok

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #792 on: January 18, 2018, 11:34:02 PM »
After the first listen, I dig it a lot! Kinda continues the style of CE, only a bit heavier.

I also like how they broke the tradition of the last 3 albums of opening the album with a short, soft track.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #793 on: January 19, 2018, 12:26:55 AM »
The new track has everything I love about BtBaM in one track. If the rest of the album is like this, I'm pretty sure it will be another album of the year contender. Perhaps I'm just incapable of disliking anything they have done since Alaska...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: January 19, 2018, 04:42:34 AM »
Not much to say about the new song, but yeah, it's BTBAM.  But I fucking love this band so much everything they do IMO is insane.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #795 on: January 19, 2018, 07:19:27 AM »
Just downloaded the new song. Will give it a listen soon.

Has anyone else surprised by BTBAM's fan base? Every concert of theirs I've been too the people there are mostly comprised of hipsters. Never seen more plaid shirted, long bearded men, drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon than I have at a BTBAM show.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #796 on: January 19, 2018, 07:36:41 AM »
Just downloaded the new song. Will give it a listen soon.

Has anyone else surprised by BTBAM's fan base? Every concert of theirs I've been too the people there are mostly comprised of hipsters. Never seen more plaid shirted, long bearded men, drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon than I have at a BTBAM show.

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest, actually. I've never even been to one of their concerts, and I already guessed that it would be half-'n-half metalheads and hipsters. For the most part, that's pretty much the demographics of the people I know irl who like BTBAM.

Honestly, that song is kind of boring imo. It feels a little bit like vanilla prog a lot of the time and doesn't really feel like it's saying anything new. The lead guitar parts are really cool tho, probably the highlight of the song for me.

Also, don't know if it's been mentioned in either thread, but The Dear Hunter and Between the Buried and Me are apparently doing an exclusive split 7" vinyl EP where TDH covers "Rapid Calm" and Between the Buried and Me covers "The Tank". It'll be available exlusively to those who purchase The Tour Upgrade Bundle at the merch table before the show. Said bundle includes Act V, Automata 1, and a poster signed by both bands. You'll then get the EP mailed to you and a digital copy e-mailed to you. Then, to actually listen to the EP, you have to travel across Hyrule to reunite the Three Pieces of Triforce, rescue Princess Peach from her castle, defeat The Elite Four, Mark Ishtar, and Sephiroth, and then catch all 807 Pokemon. Weird way of doing things, but who am I to judge?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #797 on: January 19, 2018, 07:45:54 AM »
I liked the song, but with out hearing the rest of the album to put it in context it's hard to judge. Honestly, BTBAM is one of the few bands that I find I have to listen to the whole album, not just a song here and there to really enjoy. This is one reason why I don't love the idea of splitting the album.

The idea of two touring bands covering each other is pretty cool. I'd say BTBAM and TDH are two of my top 10 bands now and to seem them at the same show would be amazing. Not sure I'm going to be able to pull it off though.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #798 on: January 19, 2018, 10:40:06 AM »
New song is solid.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #799 on: January 19, 2018, 10:46:47 AM »
New song is solid.

Solid indeed. Didn't blow me away, but I dig it.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #800 on: January 20, 2018, 08:49:36 PM »
Sounds awesome but different  :metal

Last album didn't really cut the mustard (perhaps how it followed up one of the greatest prog concept albums ever written?)

The song name is REALLY cliche though  :-\  :millahhhh
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #801 on: January 20, 2018, 09:48:14 PM »

The song name is REALLY cliche though  :-\  :millahhhh
Probably because it's also the name of a Voivod song.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #802 on: January 21, 2018, 09:08:49 AM »
I'm going to attempt something difficult with these releases.  I really don't like this model of releasing two 30 minute chunks VS a full album experience, so I'm going to try to wait until the full thing is released and listen to it in sequence, Automata 1+2. 

New song is okay. It seem's like theyre intentionally trying to write short songs these days. I like their music better when they just didnt give a damn and did whatever they wanted for 10 minutes at a time. It seems so forced now, imo. But I'm sure they got tired of having a 60 minute set and only getting to play 5 songs for their live show.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #803 on: January 21, 2018, 04:01:44 PM »
Love it. Hits all the points that I like to hear in a BTBAM song. It won't be my favorite but it did get my excited to hear what they have to offer for the album itself and definitely for Part II.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #804 on: January 24, 2018, 10:29:44 AM »
35 minutes is a little short but honestly I find most modern album lengths to be exhausting so I'm fairly happy with it. It would be nice if it was a little cheaper though.

I guess you mean prog albums, because in the rest of the styles the average length it's no much longer than 35 minutes..

Can't please everyone right.

Anyways I'm excites for the albums. It all depends on how it sounds.

Agreed and agreed..

UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)