Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 131086 times)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #315 on: April 03, 2015, 10:48:32 AM »
A lot of it just seemed proggy to be prog. Didn't mind less harsh vocals as I agree with Jammindude, Tommy's aren't the best, but it just felt like they were running through multiple ideas.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #316 on: April 03, 2015, 10:52:29 AM »
I feel like I'm in the minority that really loves Tommy's vocals, granted BTBAM was the first band with "harsh" vocals I listened and got into.

Online Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #317 on: April 03, 2015, 11:13:59 AM »
I quite liked this song. It's not Colors or Alaska, but it works for what it is! :metal :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #318 on: April 03, 2015, 04:51:33 PM »
Holy crap what an amazing song.

Took about 6 listens to figure out but its actually quite cohesive, more than one would initially think on first listen. Good flow, good riffs, Tommy's melodies are stuck in my head!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: April 03, 2015, 04:54:24 PM »
Don't want to pass judgement on one listen.  I don't know what to think about this song to be honest, although, I too was a little underwhelmed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #320 on: April 03, 2015, 07:26:51 PM »
Just heard the song properly for the first time, and my god guys. It was the most euphoric listen to a (metal) track I've had in months. This shit is fantastic.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:35:18 PM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #321 on: April 03, 2015, 07:46:06 PM »
Granted I'm almost two minutes in but they've finally succeeded in becoming Dream Theater. I miss the rawness of the older stuff.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #322 on: April 03, 2015, 07:56:31 PM »
This song - to me - sounds like they got rid of the completely random sounding stuff. I've always loved the band, but there were always some parts I had to sit through to get to the awesome stuff. Now it just all sounds like awesome stuff to me. And to top it off, this song has been produced to be incredibly nice and warm sounding. I never liked their production, but man have they gotten their tones right this time. Good production in metal is rare these days.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #323 on: April 03, 2015, 08:01:20 PM »
The production still sounds like compression hell to me. The tones are tight for the most part but they don't breathe at all.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #324 on: April 03, 2015, 09:05:43 PM »
ive been meaning to ask for a while what everyone thinks we'll get from these guys as far as a change-up goes with the next album(s)...

I was thinking i'd love to see them add a gues spot / extra member for the next record. would love to hear them include a violin or something to the mix and not just for a little moment here or there. I might be subconsciously leaning towards violin cuz of my love for unexpecT, but really it could be anything; strings, brass, whatever.

anyway, i dont think that's gonna happen, but based on this excerpt from a recent interview with Danny boy Briggs, I have a feeling theyre about to shake things up and change the direction of the band moving forward:

Coming back to BTBAM, ‘Parallax II’ was out in mid-2012, so it’s been almost two years. What’s the plan for the next one?

I’ve got so much on my plate right now. I’m in the middle of mixing a record for my band Orbs, and in the first week of April I go into the studio with my other band Trioscapes which is a fusion group. We’re going to recording our next album, and I’m going on tour with that band in May. BTBAM might be doing something in the summer and will probably start writing in the fall. I’ve already started writing and I probably have 3 or 4 things that have started to get a little bit developed that haven’t been shared yet. We’ll do that closer to the end of summer. You need time to decompress out of this whole Parallax world before you really settle into starting something now. I feel like it’s still pretty fresh with us, and the stuff that at least I’ve been writing is different. Doing the concept record format was so great and I’m really curious to try and take that next step further. I’ve been listening to a lot of The Who, the ‘Quadrophenia’ and ‘Tommy’ records. I love the rock opera format. It’s so cool. The stuff that I’ve been writing is kind of more over-the-top super big thematic, and I think we’re really interested to take some leaps and bounds in different directions. We’ve done this thing pretty solidly for a couple of records and we’ve got to see what else is out there.

interesting stuff. no matter what they do, im confident theyre gonna kill it.  :metal

well I can't speak for everyone here, dudeman, but I for one am expecting some crazy new territory (possibly subconsciously expect it based on the Briggs quote you've provided)...I'm thinking maybe they'll sound at varying times like Queen (on steroids), Muse (on steroids), The Smashing Pumpkins (on steroids), Oingo Boigo (on steroids),  King Crimson (on steroids), Candiria (on steroids...if that's possible), Porcupine Tree (on HGH), and Closure In Moscow (on roids AND acid), amongst others.

sorry it took so long to get back to you, dudeman...I meant to, then put it off, then forgot a few times. You know how it goes. Regardless, I'm surely as stoked as you are.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #325 on: April 03, 2015, 10:27:07 PM »
I gotta disagree with PixelDream and orcus on one thing...I'm still hearing quite a bit of pretty sick randomness.   There is a cohesiveness to it, but I don't think any moreso than Parallax.   The change is mostly just in the styles they are throwing into "the blender".    It's true that it may not be quite as "raw", but I like the more balanced feel of it.

I think comparing it to Dream Theater is WAY off.   They may have achieved a Dream Theater-like balance of melody and harsh...light and heavy...but I've never heard DT do the completely out of left field change ups that BTBAM is known for...and I still hear them here. 

It's not like this is a "sell out" album or anything.   If you weren't a fan before, I doubt this is going to change your mind.   This is some pretty sick stuff.

BTW, in case you were wondering, I just heard it for the first time, and it's my favorite BTBAM "single" I've ever heard.   :metal
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #326 on: April 04, 2015, 03:24:18 AM »
I have my fears that this album could turn out hilariously bad, because most friends who are fans of BTBAM have been very negative about the song. I'm holding off myself until the whole album comes out. I'm hoping for another good album, but initial buzz scares me.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #327 on: April 04, 2015, 07:43:19 AM »
I'm diggin the new song. Very obvious DT vibe.

Somebody play the song for Opeth. Give them an idea on how to change their sound properly.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #328 on: April 04, 2015, 07:49:10 AM »
Withholding judgement until I hear the entire album. First impression though is that it's BTBAM with the rough edges filed off, if that makes any sense.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #329 on: April 04, 2015, 08:12:44 AM »
Kinda digging the new song though did anyone else notice how... different Tommy's screams/growls are? They sound much higher pitched.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #330 on: April 04, 2015, 09:25:19 AM »
Yeah I don't see a "BTBAM going DT" vibe at all.

Kinda digging the new song though did anyone else notice how... different Tommy's screams/growls are? They sound much higher pitched.

They do sound a little different now that I think about it.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #331 on: April 04, 2015, 09:40:46 AM »

I noticed this too. Hate to say it, but they sound weaker. Wonder if his age is catching on?

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #332 on: April 04, 2015, 09:45:40 AM »
This is going to be a polarizing album for sure.

I think the biggest change is going to be Tommy's vocals. You can tell in the new song that he's trying out a bunch of new styles for him... whether or not he has to voice to pull it off is up for debate.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #333 on: April 04, 2015, 10:04:52 AM »

I noticed this too. Hate to say it, but they sound weaker. Wonder if his age is catching on?
After only one song, I think it's too early to make that claim. He could just be trying something new. It sounds less guttural and a bit less... refined maybe?

Not sure if I like the change yet. I'll have to see how he sounds on the other tracks before I pass final judgment.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #334 on: April 04, 2015, 10:06:14 AM »
New track doesn't do a ton for me, but it always takes BTBAM albums forever to really click for me, so I'm not too worried at this point.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #335 on: April 04, 2015, 02:29:23 PM »
I love the way Tommy's growls sound. They seem... idk how to describe it really. More breathy and real. Throaty. He's been sounding like this live since the touring for Future Sequence and I'm really glad that it transferred over to a studio recording. Unique sound!

Here's some (official) live audio from a couple years ago where he started growling like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aliHf4NTg4

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #336 on: April 04, 2015, 03:07:03 PM »
This song is really clicking for me. Love it.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #337 on: April 04, 2015, 09:14:25 PM »
After a few more listens, I am really liking the new single. I'm stoked for the concert tomorrow! Luckily, no one in my family celebrates Easter, so I do not have to miss out on anything.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #338 on: April 05, 2015, 04:08:27 AM »
Holy shit that was underwhelming.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #339 on: April 05, 2015, 07:08:22 AM »
After a couple more listens, I think my main dissatisfaction comes from the first half of the song. It starts to pick up after that. As a whole, still a good song, but I don't think it'll be one of my favorites off this album when it comes out.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #340 on: April 05, 2015, 02:41:24 PM »
I read a comment defining Memory Palace "Dream Theater on astral steroids" - it's actually pretty accurate  :lol

Anyways, I really like the song, and the direction they're going for.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #341 on: April 05, 2015, 03:13:31 PM »
I read a comment defining Memory Palace "Dream Theater on astral steroids" - it's actually pretty accurate  :lol

Dream Theater is the last direction I wanted this band to head. Now they're just part of a bunch of other bands that sound like Dream Theater.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #342 on: April 05, 2015, 09:24:02 PM »
I just got back from the show, and...well...damn. It was my first time seeing them, and they played what was essentially my ideal set list.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #343 on: April 05, 2015, 10:11:11 PM »

Dream Theater is the last direction I wanted this band to head. Now they're just part of a bunch of other bands that sound like Dream Theater.

This single sounds nothing at all like Dream Theater.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #344 on: April 05, 2015, 10:12:52 PM »

This single sounds nothing at all like Dream Theater.
I think it sounds a ton like DT style wise. Obviously it sounds like BTBAM but it sounds like they're stylistically becoming a heck of a lot like DT. And I love DT but I was hoping BTBAM would steer away from that.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 10:55:00 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #345 on: April 05, 2015, 11:06:01 PM »
DT found a nice balance between the heavy and the light....the fractured and the melodious.   Beyond that, I  hear no similarities. 

People who hear DT in this (IMO) are simpletons who are making snap judgements based on a 2 second phrasing.     I guess I can get where they are getting it from if I squint.   But it's such a stretch that they become like those people that think the moon landing was fake and wrestling is real.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #346 on: April 05, 2015, 11:10:32 PM »
Well IMO your opinion is full of snottiness. I've given the song a couple of listens and I looove both bands, I'm not somebody making rushed judgements. I wish I could explain it better but there's those moments where an instrument will have a quick little solo'ish lick or something that's trying to sound tasty, something Dream Theater does a lot when they're getting heavy into the instrumental part of a song and there's a bunch of points in the song in which BTBAM do it and yuck.

Other non related to the above gripes I have is that the sections in this song are so disjointed and and the song has almost no flow, until the end when it recoups a tiny bit.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #347 on: April 06, 2015, 02:51:00 AM »
You're saying that like it's a new thing. BTBAM has always had those moments, certainly since Alaska anyway.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #348 on: April 06, 2015, 02:57:10 AM »
I'd say the DT shadow looms large over The Great Misdirect, only BTBAM are pulling it off slightly better. But yeah, not really a new thing IMO, it's an element that has kinda been in their music for the last couple of albums.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #349 on: April 06, 2015, 05:20:10 AM »
It's been there but this song is the tipping point for me. It's also a wreck of a song and probably has INO Tommy's weakest harsh vocals I've heard.