Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 131407 times)

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #245 on: January 13, 2015, 02:42:02 PM »
Only took me about 45 minutes to read it.

Still not sure whats going on.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #246 on: January 13, 2015, 05:16:12 PM »
I remember reading that about a month or two before I actually got Parallax II. In a reddit Q&A, someone asked about how certain songs from past albums tied into the concept. Intrigued, I looked into it, and read that. So I actually knew the story before my first listen.  :lol

Honestly, I do not feel that familiarity with the story changed my listening experience in any way. The songs themselves are great, and the story they tell, while interesting (and admittedly a trainwreck), is more of a bonus.

Speaking of BTBAM and concept albums: I have heard Colors referred to as a concept album on multiple occasions, but can find nothing elaborating these claims. Does anyone know more about this?
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #247 on: January 13, 2015, 05:18:46 PM »
I think musically Colors was written as one piece, but lyrically the songs are not connected.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #248 on: January 16, 2015, 01:48:58 AM »
Posted on their FB page yesterday: “I’m very proud to say that we are now recording a brand new BTBAM record. We have really pushed and challenged ourselves more than ever with this material. It is a perfect representation of where we stand as musicians and as people. This is our voice in the current age of music. Evolution is a must. We now enter the coma and we will see you on the other side… hopefully.“

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #249 on: January 16, 2015, 09:01:12 PM »
I think musically Colors was written as one piece, but lyrically the songs are not connected.
I don't totally buy that either though, because they mentioned Ants of the Sky being the first song written for the record in some interview. It definitely seems more like a collection of songs with seamless transitions written between them rather than a single song. The only ones that feel like a complete song together are the Foam Born songs, which are quite obviously meant to be together.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline jammindude

« Reply #250 on: January 16, 2015, 09:07:19 PM »
I don't totally buy that either though, because they mentioned Ants of the Sky being the first song written for the record in some interview. It definitely seems more like a collection of songs with seamless transitions written between them rather than a single song. The only ones that feel like a complete song together are the Foam Born songs, which are quite obviously meant to be together.

As much as I love Colors, it often feels more like a collection of hundreds of cool riffs thrown in a blender.  For a long time, I couldn't make sense of it at all, and I still can't make sense of much of it.     Veridian/White Walls definitely sounds like one complete piece of music that I would actually call "a song", but the rest of it is so freakin random that it is often overwhelming.

My love of Colors mostly comes from a place of having a deep love of "puzzle box" music.   Music that makes me go, "What in the actual **** is going on here?"   There is a certain joy in solving puzzles...and I sometimes find joy in trying to figure out what on earth the artist is even doing, even if it takes multiple listens.  (as a matter of fact, *especially* if it takes multiple listens)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: January 17, 2015, 02:58:42 PM »
Yeah, Colors is a total mindfuck. It takes like 40 listens to comprehend it, but it literally never gets old. None of the riffs or sections stick around long enough to get boring.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #252 on: January 17, 2015, 05:43:41 PM »
Yeah, Colors is a total mindfuck. It takes like 40 listens to comprehend it, but it literally never gets old. None of the riffs or sections stick around long enough to get boring.

Colors is definitely one of the hardest albums I've ever gotten into. The first 10 listens or so was a mix of jarring, "all over the place" and just very hard for me to latch onto anything. The vocals took a lot of time to get used to, and their very jazzy approach to progressive metal (basically an ever-evolving approach where the songs really have no verse/chorus structure) also took time to get used to.

But it totally paid off. Colors is one of my all time favorite albums and I still get a fresh experience whenever I listen to it. While I really like their other albums as well, none of them are on the same level as Colors IMO. TGM and Parallax are amazing IMO, but they felt easier to latch onto, and repeated listens didn't give me AS much as Colors. Still amazing, but Colors.. wow.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: January 19, 2015, 11:12:52 AM »

Colors is definitely one of the hardest albums I've ever gotten into. The first 10 listens or so was a mix of jarring, "all over the place" and just very hard for me to latch onto anything. The vocals took a lot of time to get used to, and their very jazzy approach to progressive metal (basically an ever-evolving approach where the songs really have no verse/chorus structure) also took time to get used to.

But it totally paid off. Colors is one of my all time favorite albums and I still get a fresh experience whenever I listen to it. While I really like their other albums as well, none of them are on the same level as Colors IMO. TGM and Parallax are amazing IMO, but they felt easier to latch onto, and repeated listens didn't give me AS much as Colors. Still amazing, but Colors.. wow.
Yes. All of that. Colors has a certain intangible quality to it that I don't think they'll ever achieve again.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #254 on: January 19, 2015, 05:18:47 PM »
I try to enjoy Colors but the entire time I'm thinking "this would be a lot better without these awful -core vocals."

I'm not a huge fan of death growls but they don't hurt my enjoyment of the music. Core screams certainly do.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: January 19, 2015, 05:38:35 PM »
I don't think the vocals are that bad, and I hate -core vocals of any kind. The only vocals on Colors that I don't care for are the guest vocals on Prequel to the Sequel.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #256 on: January 19, 2015, 06:00:48 PM »
The vocals takes some time to get used to, but they add a lot to the heaviness of the music. My enjoyment of BTBAM would probably have dropped quite a bit if it was all clean vocals.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #257 on: January 19, 2015, 06:15:50 PM »
I don't think the vocals are that bad, and I hate -core vocals of any kind. The only vocals on Colors that I don't care for are the guest vocals on Prequel to the Sequel.

Shit, those were guest vocals? (I'm assuming you're talking about the ones towards the end)
I like those a lot, actually. The band's harsh vocals are really lacking in variety, so when they do something different like that it's really nice.

The guest vocals at the start of Swim To The Moon are pretty terrible though.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #258 on: January 19, 2015, 06:30:24 PM »
I too find Tommy's harshes to be a weak point which I've gone into detail before. He has moments but I would love for him to focus on his cleans and get somebody with more diversity in their harshes, obviously won't happen, but you wouldn't see me complaining.  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhlịujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #259 on: January 21, 2015, 11:41:46 AM »
Colors I like but a lot of the heavy heavy stuff has never been up my alley, I get a lot more from the proggier, overall lighter TGM.

Future Sequence I found not very interesting though, was nothing new that it brought to the table and I still can't remember what most of the songs sound like

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: January 25, 2015, 08:21:20 AM »

Shit, those were guest vocals? (I'm assuming you're talking about the ones towards the end)
I like those a lot, actually. The band's harsh vocals are really lacking in variety, so when they do something different like that it's really nice.

The guest vocals at the start of Swim To The Moon are pretty terrible though.
Yeah, the ones in Prequel are the dude from Fear Before IIRC. The ones in Swim to the Moon though...jesus.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #261 on: February 03, 2015, 12:57:59 PM »
Saw them open up for Coheed and Cambria and was very impressed. Just picked up colors which is my first album by them, can't wait to hear more.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #262 on: February 03, 2015, 01:19:42 PM »
Sun of Nothing is still my favorite of theirs.

Couldn't really get into Future Sequence, although their's great moments. 

I think I enjoy their softer parts more. "I am floating" from SoN is a good example.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #263 on: February 03, 2015, 01:28:24 PM »
Ants of the Sky is my favorite. That clean part around the 8-10 minute mark that starts with the "Sleep on, fly on" part is just epic.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #264 on: February 03, 2015, 01:34:33 PM »
Between the Buried and Me and The Atlas Moth are touring together in April.

If you can make it to this you should by all means go. Obviously Between the Buried and Me but also The Atlas Moth are a fucking fantastic band that could use more exposure! (Also their first album's cover got me banned for a week a couple of years ago so you know they're gnarly)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #265 on: February 03, 2015, 02:10:49 PM »
Ants of the Sky is my favorite. That clean part around the 8-10 minute mark that starts with the "Sleep on, fly on" part is just epic.

That's the best part of the song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #266 on: February 03, 2015, 02:17:36 PM »
That's my favorite part of their discography. It's the reason I bought Colors and got into the band to begin with.  :metal
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #267 on: February 03, 2015, 02:40:40 PM »

That's the best part of the song.

Everything after the hoedown in Ants In The Sky is my favorite section of music ever.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #268 on: February 03, 2015, 03:16:31 PM »
Everything after the hoedown in Ants In The Sky is my favorite section of music ever.

God yes. Dat soloing is just marvelous. Really hard to beat, and I think it's just barely matched by the last few minutes on White Walls.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #269 on: February 03, 2015, 04:29:24 PM »
Really enjoying the album so far and the diversity of compositions/styles is off the charts. Very cool band

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #270 on: February 03, 2015, 05:58:43 PM »
Your band is going to do one stop in Florida.  Do you hit: A) Jacksonville, the largest city  B) Tampa/St. Petersburg/Orlando, centrally located 3rd, 4th, and 5th largest cities, and within an hour of each other  C) Miami - the second biggest city with lots of other well populated cities or D) A town that is close enough to LA to not pull in much west of it and too far away from the larger population centers of the state.

If you chose D, you have brain damage, and are probably the shitty booker for this tour.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #271 on: February 03, 2015, 07:03:02 PM »
Between the Buried and Me and The Atlas Moth are touring together in April.

If you can make it to this you should by all means go. Obviously Between the Buried and Me but also The Atlas Moth are a fucking fantastic band that could use more exposure! (Also their first album's cover got me banned for a week a couple of years ago so you know they're gnarly)

I saw Atlas Moth play in Brooklyn a few years ago and they broke not only their main guitars but their backup guitars. Halfway in the middle of the set they said "so we ran out of guitars, shows over guys".

Offline Randaran

« Reply #272 on: February 03, 2015, 07:15:03 PM »
Hmm... Asheville, the closest date, is 'only' 6 hours away, and the concert is during Spring Break. I may be able to go to this one.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 07:22:57 PM by Randaran »
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline Randaran

« Reply #273 on: February 07, 2015, 09:47:41 AM »

Ants of the Sky is a close second behind White Walls, but I find it amusing that you mention that part. It is likely my least favorite section of Colors, though everything from the clean part after this to the end of the song is godly.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #274 on: February 07, 2015, 10:01:40 AM »

Ants of the Sky is a close second behind White Walls, but I find it amusing that you mention that part. It is likely my least favorite section of Colors, though everything from the clean part after this to the end of the song is godly.

Does not compute.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #275 on: March 17, 2015, 10:11:05 AM »
Coma Ecliptic will be released via Metal Blade Records July 7th!
More about our new album:
"Once again, the band has returned with an ambitious concept album. This time, the story follows the wanderings of an unidentified man, stuck in a coma, as he journeys through his past lives. Each song is its own episode in a modern day, sort of The Twilight Zone-esque fashion. The unidentified man enters each world and is offered a choice: stay, or move on to the next in search of something better, something more "perfect." Vocalist / keyboardist Tommy Rogers spoke with Revolver Magazine for their upcoming issue, which will be on newsstands everywhere March 31st. Pick up the magazine for an exclusive first look at the album's recording process and concept. New music and pre-orders bundles will be launched on April 3rd, 2015."

:metal

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #276 on: March 17, 2015, 10:13:09 AM »
Concept doesn't really interest me much but color me excited!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #277 on: March 17, 2015, 10:14:39 AM »
Concept-part sounds really generic, but they are probably the best progressive metal band at the moment and I'm still really excited for this.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #278 on: March 17, 2015, 10:15:25 AM »
Yeah, I don't care about the concept that much. I still don't know what the fuck is happening in Parallax. :lol

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #279 on: March 17, 2015, 01:01:46 PM »
I still don't care what happens in Parallax, the music is what interests me :metal