Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 129155 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #1190 on: September 24, 2021, 01:35:26 PM »
Funnily enough I remember this forum being pretty divided on TGM back when I first joined around 2010/2011 and now it's pretty widely considered to be one of their best. :lol

Was it divided cause of the music or the vocals though? I remember back when I joined this forum there were similar discussions about Opeth. Some people will never warm up to harsh vocals, others grow to appreciate them.

@Elite I agree, Swim to the Moon is the best on the album and for me it's one of their best longest songs (say 10 mins over)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1191 on: September 24, 2021, 01:41:04 PM »
Funnily enough I remember this forum being pretty divided on TGM back when I first joined around 2010/2011 and now it's pretty widely considered to be one of their best. :lol

Was it divided cause of the music or the vocals though? I remember back when I joined this forum there were similar discussions about Opeth. Some people will never warm up to harsh vocals, others grow to appreciate them.

@Elite I agree, Swim to the Moon is the best on the album and for me it's one of their best longest songs (say 10 mins over)

Not the vocals; the divisiveness seemed to come from people already a fan of the band so that wasn't really a factor. I just seem to remember a lot of people complaining about the song structures being too meandering / disjointed / all over the place. Swim To The Moon got a lot of flak for that in particular. Which like, yeah, the songs don't have much structure, but it's fucking BTBAM. Lack of song structure is one of their most defining elements. :lol And compared to Colors I think most songs on TGM actually have more structure.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1192 on: September 24, 2021, 04:02:29 PM »
I still think The Great Misdirect is one of their weakest. Mirrors and Desert of Song are great, and the others have great parts, but as a whole they're kind of sloggy and there's not much to grab onto. Colors and the Parallaxes (and Coma) are way better.

I do still enjoy it overall, but I wouldn't consider it anywhere near being their best.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1193 on: September 24, 2021, 05:58:06 PM »
I listened to Coma Ecliptic. It's really much better.

The main "problems" are "controlled". Harsh vocals are used in a better and more balanced way. And the crazy moments of the songs too. It doesn't feel like an endless artificial collage of pieces of music (which is my perception about the debut).

It doesn't mean that the experiments and unusual mixtures of styles and structures sometimes don't go a bit over the edge (The Ectopic Stroll, the middle part of Memory Place), but that seems to be the band's style and overall it was done with more care and intelligence here. The record doesn't drown the listener in it.

In addition, there are several interesting and captivating moments. Lots of cool melodies, nice keyboards etc.

And it's curious, because in the same song there are extremely exaggerated things (where is the producer to cut?  ;D) and beautiful things (Memory Place is a good example, the final part is great).

I hear echoes of Mars Volta, Steven Wilson (vocals in Nodes remind me of SW), Haken ....

I think the favorites were Dim Ignition, Famine Wolf, Turn of the Darkness and Life in Velvet.

I won't say I like it 100% and I felt like I was a little tired at the end of the audition (maybe because it was the first contact with the album), but in the end it's a pretty good record  :).

So, are there more palatable things in discography?  :biggrin:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1194 on: September 24, 2021, 06:18:49 PM »
automata is pretty much in line with coma except maybe sliiightly heavier idk
i liked it way more than coma

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1195 on: September 24, 2021, 06:20:58 PM »

This except I liked it way less. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1196 on: September 24, 2021, 06:52:37 PM »
And the vocals improved 1000000000000000000000000000000%. I checked out on the wiki and it's the same guy! Wow!

And this is exactly why I said it would be a good idea to start at the beginning to really get an appreciation for how the band improved and progressed in almost every conceivable way. But I get not wanted to slog through music you know you won't enjoy. Or maybe you will, who's to say....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1197 on: September 24, 2021, 07:22:02 PM »

Found a picture of Tim listening to Between the Buried and Me

I believe I was yelling at some kids to get off my lawn when that pic was taken. ;D

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to hit the third album tonight.  Working on Ariich's roulette.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1198 on: September 24, 2021, 10:35:55 PM »

This except I liked it way less. :lol

Automata 1/2 are literally my favorite albums from them.

I personally think those should be the next albums you listen to.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1199 on: September 25, 2021, 12:54:23 AM »
I too really like the Automata's. I also think The Great Misdirect is a top 3 album of theirs but think Come Ecliptic is my least favourite of all their albums!

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1200 on: September 25, 2021, 03:28:46 AM »
So, are there more palatable things in discography?  :biggrin:

I'd recommend Colors II next. Coma Ecliptic is the easiest to get into for prog fans. Colors II is IMO their best executed album in years. What you enjoyed about Coma Ecliptic is still there, but their crazy side is more present again. However, the usage of harsh vocals and the quality of the heavy riffs are top notch.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 03:57:17 AM by me7 »

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1201 on: September 25, 2021, 05:59:24 AM »
My rankings of every BTBAM album (except Colors II, I've only heard it once so far):

1. Automata II
2. The Great Misdirect
3. The Parallax II: Future Sequence
4. Colors
5. Automata I
6. Alaska
7. Coma Ecliptic
8. Between the Buried and Me
9. The Silent Circus

My Top 3 are all interchangeable, I absolutely love all three of those albums.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1202 on: September 25, 2021, 07:45:38 AM »
Updated one for me:

Parallax II
Colors
The Great Misdirect
Colors II
Automata
Coma Ecliptic
Alaska
The Silent Circus
BTBAM

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1203 on: September 25, 2021, 10:30:08 AM »
Automata 1/2
Parallax 1/2
Colors
Alaska
Misdirect
Coma

Don’t own the first two and haven’t heard Colors 2 yet.

It should be noted that all these albums are so great that it’s difficult to put anything on the bottom. There is no “worst”, only “least best”

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1204 on: September 25, 2021, 05:40:57 PM »
Onto Alaska tonight...

All Bodies-This is already making me feel better than The Silent Circus. Lots to digest here. Pretty frantic tune.

Alaska-What a great intro! Then WTF happened? This kind of blows.

Croakies And Boatshoes-Some cool riffing going in in this song. Every now and then, they hit on a nice part and then they blow it all to hell.

Selkies:The Endless Obsession-Another great opening. Nice tune. Once you get past the growlie part, it's quite melodic.

Breathe In Breathe Out- Ear cleansing time.

Roboturner-More mid to late 80's hardcore. The song chills a bit halfway through, but there's not much there.

Backwards Marathon-The first minute of so is fucking useless. Love the groove underneath at 2:00. Then the song rules basically from that point on. Excellent...except for the first minute or so.

The Primer-Not bad. 3:36 is fantastic. Nice closeout.

Autodirect-Love the opening thrash riff. Ugh the rest.

Laser Speed-I don't get it. Why is it here? Is this a B-side?

Ok..The only decent song is Selkies, oh, and Backwards Marathon, and even then, I'd like to chop off the first minute.
The vocals fucking blow. I can't say that enough. Similar to The Silent Circus, the vocals over the frantic jarring musical bits equates to nothing but noise, honestly. My ears hurt.

The first album has an innocence about it that I found endearing. Alaska is the best sounding album so far.

1. BTBAM
2. Alaska
3. The Silent Circus

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1205 on: September 25, 2021, 06:25:02 PM »
I listened to the Automatas; Automata I yesterday before bed and II today.

My perception is that they are the natural continuation of the CE.

Automata I: I don't know if I was a little tired and if it affected the audition, but I don't have any specific points to comment. To be honest, nothing caught my attention. In general I found it inferior to CE.

Automata II: This one I found very interesting and possibly the best of all. All four tracks have beautifully crafted and captivating moments. I still think some of the heavier and more extreme moments appear kind of gratuitously, as if they needed to fulfill a goal. But overall it's a lot of fun. Special highlight for Voice of Trespass, even more being preceded by the climatic Glide.

1. Automata II
2. Coma Ecliptic
3. Automata I

4. BTBAM

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1206 on: September 25, 2021, 06:56:00 PM »
idk if coma would ever be my least favorite because i just don't know the first two albums at all/don't really care to either  :lol
but it's my least fave of their alaska-onwards output

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1207 on: September 26, 2021, 12:46:07 AM »

GRAPE APE GRAPE APE!!!!

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1208 on: September 26, 2021, 01:29:31 AM »

GRAPE APE GRAPE APE!!!!
I hate you...  :rollin

I can't unhear it now.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1209 on: September 26, 2021, 03:14:32 AM »
Loving your writeups Tim.

Never really got into this one myself either, bar Selkies of course.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1210 on: September 26, 2021, 09:09:59 AM »
All Bodies kicks immense amounts of ass. They've never done their metalcore sound better than on that song.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1211 on: September 26, 2021, 09:53:26 AM »

GRAPE APE GRAPE APE!!!!
I hate you...  :rollin

I can't unhear it now.

YES GRAPE APE!!!!!

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1212 on: September 29, 2021, 07:19:54 PM »
So tonight I listened to Colors. Overall, this is an excellent album. The vocals still stand in the way a bit, but this album is way more mature..more musical.

Track by track..

Foam Born A. The Backtrack- Interesting opening. I like the flowing keys on this. The song builds quite quickly, but feeling natural at the same time.

B. Decade Of Statues-Not a fan of this opening. I like when the clean vocals come in. There's a cool bit about 2:05 right before the second verse. The little part at 3:37 right before the short mellow bit is really cool.
The second half of this tune is much better than the first half. The first half is too in your face for my liking.

Informal Gluttony- Very cool opening. When are they going to ruin it?? Sounds a lot like Home. Really badass grove before the vocals start. That first verse is tough. If you could clip 1:50-2:10, this song would be amazing. So many great bits and spots throughout the rest of the song, I couldn't possibly timestamp them. Great tune, save for those 20 seconds.

Sun Of Nothing-OK, can I just pretend those first two minutes never happened, despite some awesome bass playing? Yay, more circus music.. Love what's being played under the vocals at 4:17.
Enjoying the mellow part for sure. Love the change of pace at 8:53. Real driving.. Love the Dream Theaterish outro for sure.

Ants Of The Sky-What an opening lick! Pressing pause at the 1:10 mark-WOW, fantastic so far. OK..
Really cool keyboards staring around 2:05 behind this next part. Really Dream Theaterish through the 3 minute mark. Groovy part under the vocals follows. At 3:45, this reminds me of..Beyond This Life, is it? Transitions to Carry On Wayward Son for a bit at 4:16.
This is all great as it goes along. The change at 5:39 is really cool. Wow some clean vocals even.
The ending starting at 12:20 is glorious.

WOW! Best song in the catalog so far.

Prequel To The Sequel-Wow, the first minute and a half is amazing. These vocals are not good. But at least they're not all accompanied by blastbeats. That's a great musical line at 4:57 leading into the circus music. Don't mind this at all. GREAT riff at 6:50 right before the song gets completely fucking hijacked. Finally, an outro from heaven at 7:40. Nice clear bass here. Really good track except for the vocals.

Viridian-This album's ear cleansing is brought to you by some badass bass.

White Walls-Another frantic opening. Musically it's fantastic. Interesting change of pace at 2 minutes. the song meanders here a bit in its heaviness.  Musically starting at 4:40 is absolutely incredible.
The harsh vocals come back around the 10 minute mark but briefly, as the band shows their chops. This is nothing but fucking goodness from here on out.

Coincidentally, I had two of these songs submitted in The TAC Anonymous Roulette v.3 Opposites Attract

In the Sun/Moon Round I got Sun Of Nothing.

Here is my writeup and my First Impression in italics..

5. Cyril...Between The Buried And Me - Sun Of Nothing

"I'm glad someone sent this band. I liked it the more it went on. "

This song as a whole is a bit much to digest. I could honestly skip the first 5 minutes of this. Kind of like Kardashev in the last group. Love the mellow part around 8:00 mins in, and the outro is great. I would've loved to have heard a lot more of that kind of instrumentation rather than the onslaught of vocals.

In the Black/White round I got White Walls..

8. Wolfking-Between The Buried And Me - White Walls

"Musically, this is so fantastic. Musically"

I'm honestly not in love with the growls, but this is musically this is technically amazing. But this song is really missing a hook to keep me engaged. The last four minutes of this are beyond words, but it feels like such a long and arduous journey to get there. Still, this stood out in a rather weak field.

I was Stack Ranking 12-1 so Sun Or Nothing came in 8th place and Whitewalls came in 5th in their respective rounds.

Rankings so far..

Colors
BTBAM
Alaska
The Silent Circus

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1213 on: September 29, 2021, 07:29:57 PM »
Ants Of The Sky and White Walls are so fucking good. If it weren't for Octavarium, White Walls would have a death grip on my "best outro of all time" award.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1214 on: September 29, 2021, 08:00:33 PM »
Ants Of The Sky and White Walls are so fucking good. If it weren't for Octavarium, White Walls would have a death grip on my "best outro of all time" award.

Indeed.  It's fucking gold.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1215 on: September 29, 2021, 08:04:17 PM »
That's a detailed and fair assessment of Colors. The quality jump from Silent Circus--->Alaska--->Colors is indeed massive.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1216 on: September 29, 2021, 08:22:40 PM »
Nice writeup Tim.  Completely forgot I sent you WW, but sounds like you may be appreciating it more now which is a win.

I wasn't sure on these guys at the start, but they grow and  become very addictive and you end up feeling the need to put on an album like Colors and just embrace it from start to finish.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1217 on: September 29, 2021, 09:53:33 PM »
Nice writeup Tim.  Completely forgot I sent you WW, but sounds like you may be appreciating it more now which is a win.

I wasn't sure on these guys at the start, but they grow and  become very addictive and you end up feeling the need to put on an album like Colors and just embrace it from start to finish.
I did just that today. It was glorious! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1218 on: September 30, 2021, 07:48:28 AM »
I don't usually listen to Colors since it's such an intense experience but when I put on White Walls I'm always like :2metal: :2metal: :2metal:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1219 on: October 05, 2021, 04:28:56 PM »
The Great Misdirect..

Mirrors-Interesting opening. Starts off pretty mellow, and it literally has my eyes hiding behind the couch waiting for the impending onslaught, but at 1:42, it gets The Love Boat theme instead.

Obfuscation-Nice opening lick, and here come the vocals..Love where this goes at 1:01. You can just hear the amazing musicianship underneath. These are not good vocals. Interesting change of pace at 2:31. I wish they explored this longer than they do. Oh, it does come back though a minute and a half later. And there it goes... This song goes up and down. Love the bass at 5:05. Sounds like Rush here for a bit, or maybe New Millenium. 7:33..such goodness!
I like this song a lot. I would love it if it weren't for the vocals.

Disease, Injury, Madness-I hate this opening. The music is fucking incredible but geez. Wow a mellow part. I didn't need it to get this mellow, I just wanted the "singing" to stop. Some clean vocals. Like Opeth, why do the cleans have to be so bland? The female? singing in between the vocal lines is a nice touch. OK, the cleans do improve the second time through. I'm trying to place the acoustic at 4:28. Rush again? DT? From 6:35 until the harsh vocals near the end is fucking class!
Again, great tune except for the harsh vocals. I know I keep saying that, but it's true.

Fossil Genera-OK, these first two minutes. Not sure how I really feel about it. Feels like it's going to set up the inevitable suckfest of heavy harsh vocals. That little bit from 2:01-2:05 is really cool. Other than the cool bit from 4:10 -4:25, the next few minutes are largely skippable.
I love the groove under the vocals at 7:20. Another mellow section and very nice outro on this.

Desert Of A Song-Other than the very nice solo at 4:03, I really don't have anything to say about this. It's just kind of there and pretty bland.

Swim To The Moon- The intro after the percussion reminds me a bit of ITPOE for a little. Really DTish, and I love it! The entire two and a half minute intro is excellent.
Typical harsh vocal section to start the main part of the song. At 4:40, I wish they could've incorporated more melodic clean vocals like this part in other parts of the album.
Ooh drum solo!
The whole musical part from 10:00 to about 14:30 is excellent. Tough part that follows it though. Another excellent outro.

So..I can see how Colors and The Great Misdirect really set themselves apart from the first three albums. They just sound cleaner, and by that I mean that there's a smoothness to it, even in some of the heavier parts. These guys are great musicians, and they make it sound like it's easy for them. They can do pretty much anything, and often do, in a single track.

But..they seem to start off each song with an almost unlistenable vocal part, and then offset it by a nice melodic mellow part. and then back and forth again. Not calling it a formula, but it does seem a bit predictable. Still, the music and the playing while executing these parts is top notch.

Not sure if I prefer Colors or TGM, but without listening to both again, I'll stick with Colors, but it's very close. 

Colors
The Great Misdirect

BTBAM

Alaska
The Silent Circus

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1220 on: October 05, 2021, 05:22:26 PM »
I can't tell whether this is TAC's redemption arc, or his villain one. Either way it's awesome :lol :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1221 on: October 05, 2021, 05:57:17 PM »
Nice writeup again.  I'm a bit surprised you are so against Tommys vocals Tim, but I guess I can kind of see why due to his style.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1222 on: October 05, 2021, 06:28:15 PM »
Man, I think Desert of Song is easily the best song on the album. And how can you not love the funky ragtime bit at the start of Fossil Genera? Madness.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1223 on: October 05, 2021, 07:01:13 PM »
Nice writeup again.  I'm a bit surprised you are so against Tommys vocals Tim, but I guess I can kind of see why due to his style.

I don't like them.

I can deal with some harsh vocals, but not all. Same when it come to clean vocalists. There's really no rhyme or reason to it.

I'm really enjoying my deep dive here. Looking forward to see if and how the vocals progress.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1224 on: October 05, 2021, 07:04:02 PM »
Man, I think Desert of Song is easily the best song on the album. And how can you not love the funky ragtime bit at the start of Fossil Genera? Madness.
Yeah, all of Fossil Genera is just a tour de force! Love that song!

I actually did a complete BtBaM album run through over the last week, thanks to Tim's current run through. I will say starting with Coma Ecliptic up to now (Colors II) I think Tommy has figured out the perfect balance of harsh and clean vocals. I also think his clean vocals have gotten better with every album. They weren't great in the beginning, that's for sure!

I predict Tim won't like Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues and Parallax 2 as much as Colors or The Great Misdirect. I also think Coma Ecliptic will be his favorite or possibly Colors II.
aka Puppies_On_Acid