Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 131530 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #1085 on: August 21, 2021, 10:43:34 AM »
I love the reviewers that call this album metalcore and immediately lump it in with other generic metalcore bands and dismiss it, therefore giving it a 1 star rating.  :lol

Between the Buried and Me has never been generic metalcore, nor have they employed any "metalcore-isms" since Alaska.  :facepalm:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1086 on: August 21, 2021, 11:13:29 AM »
Finished listening to the entire album all the way through in one sitting.

I think they succeeded in making a fantastic follow-up to Colors. I like this way better. It's like everything they learned put into one massive album, while also keeping true to what forms the original Colors. There are call backs, and there are moments where they appear not in the notes themselves but in the structures of the songs. This album has it's own identity to it and flows just as good as the original Colors, the transitions feel more smoother and more well thought-out as well. I have this on in the background and never noticed a drastic change, or break, in the transitions and flow the album has. Although, it does have the same issue I had with Colors, and that is that track break begins on the final word of The Future Is Behind Us, so the previous song just suddenly ends, it's a small issue and does not hinder how great the music and album is.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1087 on: August 21, 2021, 02:13:05 PM »
My best friend and I took the day off work yesterday and dedicated the whole day to BTBAM. We listened to Colors II together and then went off to the show in Chicago. LOVE the album, it’s some of the most creative work they’ve done so far. Needs repeated listens to peel back the layers though.

As for the show, it was my 10th BTBAM show and first show back from the pandemic. It was easily the best show from them cuz we’ve been waiting literally years for them to do the ‘Evening with’. The band was tight, heavy and crystal clear, and the energy from the crowd was electrifying! It made me feel the most alive I’ve felt since the pandemic. Since it was the release day show, they made 75 hand print posters that say ‘Colors II release show, Chicago IL’ and we were lucky enough to get one. So that was cool. It was an epic day for sure!

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1088 on: August 22, 2021, 09:09:39 AM »
After 3 spins, the only track that doesn't click with me is Double Helix of Extinction. The rest is top notch, could become my favourite BTBAM album.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1089 on: August 22, 2021, 09:36:27 AM »
This entire album really slays! It has such a strong 2nd half, I never skip after Never Seen/Future Shock. With every listen, it gets so much better too, what a fun album.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1090 on: August 22, 2021, 12:25:06 PM »
OK, Revolution in Limbo is amazing, but is Tommy saying "my nuts on this trout" at the end?  :rollin

It's "monotonous drought" but I'll never be able to unhear it as that. :lol I think that dethrones "we will throw puppies everywhere" from Alaska.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1091 on: August 22, 2021, 01:23:17 PM »
"we will throw puppies everywhere" from Alaska.
:rollin

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1092 on: August 22, 2021, 01:57:46 PM »
Well, this album exceeded expectations in some ways, and confronts me with the same issues I always have with a BTBAM album, in others.

There is no denying this album is an AOTY contender. It is a dense, sprawling piece of art, that demands multiple listens. I'd already checked out the singles a few times, on the run up to the release, but didn't think they were anything special. I'm loving Revolution in Limbo now though, after a few listens to the album.

For such a long record I feel the pacing is really good and it has not yet felt like a chore to get through. My main issue, and the thing that has always been a barrier to BTBAM becoming one of my favourite bands, as opposed to one I just like, is the vocals. I don't really know any of the names of the band members, but the vocalist just feels like the weak link (and this is just my personal opinion). Both his harsh and cleans leave me cold. There are moments where they aren't too bad, but when the music is as good as it is on this record they kinda stand out even more.

I'm on my third listen right now and it I feel pretty certain this will make my top 10 of the year, but I know it could never be my #1. I also went back and spun Colors a few times, and I feel like I appreciate it slightly more than I had. In short, a record I am currently eager to keep spinning, so I will roll with it while it lasts.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1093 on: August 22, 2021, 02:05:28 PM »
OK, Revolution in Limbo is amazing, but is Tommy saying "my nuts on this trout" at the end?  :rollin

It's "monotonous drought" but I'll never be able to unhear it as that. :lol I think that dethrones "we will throw puppies everywhere" from Alaska.
You're welcome!  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1094 on: August 22, 2021, 04:37:08 PM »
As long as were talking about misheard lyrics:

I always thought in Alaska he was screaming “GRAPE APE GRAPE APE GRAPE APE!!!” For some reason.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1095 on: August 22, 2021, 06:31:19 PM »
Not that I need validation for loving this new album, but you gotta love the reviewers on RYM that first proclaim they don't like Prog or Metal/Metalcore and then proceed to give the album half a star out of 5. Why did you listen to this then??

Truth is, they probably didn't and are purposely review bombing it.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1096 on: August 22, 2021, 06:52:32 PM »
Not that I need validation for loving this new album, but you gotta love the reviewers on RYM that first proclaim they don't like Prog or Metal/Metalcore and then proceed to give the album half a star out of 5. Why did you listen to this then??

Yeah, that's just absurd. I can understand listening to something from a genre you don't like to give it a chance, but the couple of negative reviews on RYM for Colors II make it seem like they didn't bother listening to it more than once. That "random songwriting" will probably sound a lot less random when you actually absorb the album across multiple listens and get used to it...

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1097 on: August 22, 2021, 08:55:22 PM »

Yeah, that's just absurd. I can understand listening to something from a genre you don't like to give it a chance, but the couple of negative reviews on RYM for Colors II make it seem like they didn't bother listening to it more than once. That "random songwriting" will probably sound a lot less random when you actually absorb the album across multiple listens and get used to it...
They are probably expecting the same shallow songwriting as the majority of top 40 pop. It's like comparing Kraft Mac n Cheese to a Wagyu Steak dinner made by a 5 star chef.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1098 on: August 23, 2021, 12:23:08 AM »
“YES! GRAPE APE!!”
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1099 on: August 23, 2021, 01:31:50 AM »
Didn't even know what RYM is but saw Parallax II got 3.61 overall 🤮 Someone said that the main idea with reviews is to find someone or some place that you feel share your own opinions so you can get great suggestions. Maybe this is crystal clear and doesn't need to be said but a good reminder at least. So RYM is a def a place I won't be going to haha. Progarchives might have some issues with the audience as well but at least that's a place where you can find good progressive metal music by looking at the scores. There's usually a reason why some album get > 4.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1100 on: August 23, 2021, 04:13:41 AM »
3.61 is a good average rating at RYM. It's like IMDB or whatever, people with all sorts of different tastes and interests rate albums and it produces averages. So because albums get heard by lots of different people, naturally the averages aren't usually that high - the absolute most popular albums on the site the ones with both wide appeal and beloved by genre fans, and even those are only a little over 4 stars on average. The vast majority of albums widely considered to be good (in general or within genre) come around the 3.4-3.9 mark.

And to Puppies point, I'm not sure why a handful of silly reviews matters at all, Colors II currently has easily BTBAM's highest rating at 3.89 (although I'm sure it'll come down and settle lower after a few weeks).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1101 on: August 23, 2021, 04:51:46 AM »
Yeah I quickly realized as well that it seemed to have similar relative ratings that I would expect between albums :smiley: Maybe it's a fun service actually. If there's albums with > 4 or even 4.5 that should indicate it's an album that no matter what genre you like it's pretty damn good! I guess finding each sites strength and how to use them is important  ;D

Actually interesting to see that Pink Floyd does indeed have a high score on the legendary albums here as well. OK Computer by Radiohead is supposedly something I must listen to 😁

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1102 on: August 23, 2021, 04:55:15 AM »
If there's albums with > 4 or even 4.5 that should indicate it's an album that no matter what genre you like it's pretty damn good!
I wouldn't go that far. :lol Most of the highest-rated albums on the site (that I've heard anyway) I'm not especially interested in.

Personally I find it useful for two main purposes:
 - Tracking my own ratings of every album I listen to.
 - Getting a sense of relative ratings for a specific artist. I often don't agree, but it's useful to understand what other people think about an artist's catalogue, and especially if I'm checking out a new artist, it's useful to get a sense of which albums to try out first.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1103 on: August 23, 2021, 07:19:28 AM »
Haha yepp, I listened to OK Computer and quickly realized my logic didn't hold up that well 😁

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1104 on: August 23, 2021, 07:32:42 AM »
And to Puppies point, I'm not sure why a handful of silly reviews matters at all, Colors II currently has easily BTBAM's highest rating at 3.89 (although I'm sure it'll come down and settle lower after a few weeks).

Yeah, that's too high of a RYM score for this album. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1105 on: August 23, 2021, 07:56:15 AM »
I don't really care much what others think because opinions are subjective but something like RYM you definitely gotta take with a pinch of salt.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1106 on: August 23, 2021, 04:06:03 PM »
I've listened to Colors II three times now. Still digesting it. It's a lot to take in, even by BTBAM standards. In some ways it's their most chaotic album ever.

I can definitely say it's better than the Automatas, though that's a pretty low bar for me. Seems about on-par with Parallax II and Coma Ecliptic. Not as good as TGM and nowhere near as good as Colors.

It makes sense that they'd call this Colors II; all the tracks flow together in the same way, and with how famous (relatively-speaking, anyways) Colors is, it's one hell of a marketing gimmick. That said, I'm not sure if calling it Colors II was the best decision in terms of what that means for the expectations and critique for it.

I think most people would agree that constantly comparing a band's new albums to a hallmark album of theirs they released years and years ago isn't very productive. Time has passed, the band isn't in the same place as they were back then, and while the new album may be special in its own way, nine times out of ten it won't compare to the best album the band ever made. It's best to judge it as its own artistic statement, rather than to compare it to an existing statement from over a decade ago. With this album that's basically impossible.

It's not just the name or the songs flowing together. The music here clearly wants to remind you of the first Colors pretty frequently. There's lyrical callbacks sprinkled throughout, but the structural parallels for certain songs are what I want to focus on. Right from the first few seconds of the album, it's already started in the exact same way as the first Colors. Granted, piano and soft clean vocals isn't too strong of a connection, but any doubt that this wasn't intentional is shattered as soon as the second track comes in. The beginning of this song and The Decade Of Statues are practically identical, with the combination of the initial fast riff with squealing, dissonant harmonics transitioning directly into a slower, chugging riff with Tommy screaming over both. Clearly this song is being presented as The Decade Of Statues II. So... does that matter?

I'll tell you why this matters to me: White Walls. If you ask me, it's the best song the band has ever made, by a pretty wide margin. It's one of my favorite songs ever, and that's largely due to the amazing extended finale. It's hard to think of a better way to end an album. So, you can imagine what's going through my head when Human Is Hell starts in exactly the same way. 16th note odd time signature riff over toms and a steady kick. Snare comes in after a couple bars. Transition into the lead melody with the snare on every downbeat. Exact same drum switchup halfway through. Unsurprisingly, I'm loving it. I had very little expectations for the song going into it (as I always try not to), but now I can't help but hope it at least comes close to White Walls. How could I not when that's clearly what the band is trying to make me think.

So, this song's going to have an amazing finale, right?

Nope. It's pretty lackluster. It's just the intro of the song again. They didn't even try to reproduce the finale of White Walls. And of course they didn't have to. If they tried, there's no way it would have lived up to it. But now everyone who listens to this song who's familiar with White Walls is going to be expecting it. And I can't imagine I'm the only one disappointed as a result. Human Is Hell ain't a bad closer, and it's probably one of the best songs on the album. But presenting it as White Walls II is almost embarrassing, and my opinion of the song is somewhat soured because of that.

As for the album as a whole, I think the aspect of Colors this new album most clearly fails to reproduce is the sense of energy and momentum it had. Colors has a somewhat slow start, but things start ramping up throughout Sun Of Nothing, and the exact moment that the album goes from good to one of the best albums of all time is the transition into Ants Of The Sky. From that point onward, it's a fucking rollercoaster of an album that never drags or reaches a lull. Ants Of The Sky is a sprawling, wonderful journey, Prequel To The Sequel picks up right where it leaves off and perfectly sets up the final leg of the album, then Viridian and White Walls bring it home. Smooth as a river of butter.

By comparison, the first half of this album is pretty solid. The sequence from Revolution In Limbo to Never Seen / Future Shock replicates that flowing energy of the first record quite well. But I find that the second half of the album really drags... the whole run from Stare Into The Abyss to Turbulent just feels very directionless and low-energy. I can't think of many memorable moments in that stretch and it doesn't feel like it's moving the record towards a goal in any meaningful way. Bad Habits might grow on me a little, but the rest feels pretty throwaway.

...well that was a rant and a half. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised I have that much to say about a sequel to one of my favorite albums. God help you all if Dream Theater ever makes Octavarium II. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1107 on: August 23, 2021, 04:46:43 PM »

Yeah, that's too high of a RYM score for this album. :lol

the RYM cycle:
metal album gets upvoted to the 3.8-4.0 range by metalheads
metal album charts on the yearly charts, hipsters who don't understand metal listen to it and downvote spam it with 0.5 star ratings
album score plummets to like 3.3-3.4 because of the filibustering by people who should never be rating the album to begin with
rinse, repeat, etc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1108 on: August 23, 2021, 05:13:04 PM »
I enjoyed that post Buddy.  I haven't listened to the album yet and haven't really given much thought of what I'm expecting in relation to Colors 1.  To be honest though, I'll take the album for a new entity.  Even just by looking at the tracklist and times in relation to Colors 1, that alone makes it feel like a newer BTBAM album, not a throwback to Colors.  That's just an early observation though.

I don't think anything will ever compare with White Walls though, no matter how hard they try.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1109 on: August 23, 2021, 05:28:29 PM »
Oh, those reviews don't matter to me at all. I just find them amusing. Like I said, I don't need validation for anything that I like. Nor do I care if what I listen to is loved by other people. It's nice to have people to talk to about shared love of different music, but not necessary. Hence why roulettes are so fun.......SOMEONE START A DAMN ROULETTE ALREADY!!!!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1110 on: August 23, 2021, 06:36:56 PM »
Oh, those reviews don't matter to me at all. I just find them amusing. Like I said, I don't need validation for anything that I like. Nor do I care if what I listen to is loved by other people. It's nice to have people to talk to about shared love of different music, but not necessary. Hence why roulettes are so fun.......SOMEONE START A DAMN ROULETTE ALREADY!!!!

You start another one and don't make it Rush-themed this time! :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1111 on: August 23, 2021, 07:03:49 PM »
Don't make me start one, cuz it will finish once Covid is over :neverusethis:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1112 on: August 23, 2021, 07:38:06 PM »
Don't make me start one, cuz it will finish once Covid is over :neverusethis:
So, never!  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1113 on: August 23, 2021, 07:39:04 PM »

You start another one and don't make it Rush-themed this time! :lol
I'm thinking of doing an EP only roulette. 4 or 5 rounds, with super relaxed rules.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1114 on: August 23, 2021, 08:49:53 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 01:15:12 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1115 on: August 24, 2021, 03:01:54 AM »
I don't mean to come off sounding like I'm defending those people not being into metal, listening to BTBAM and rating it low, but I can kinda see both sides of it. For my own music exploration, I often turn to the RYM charts to see what's new and what has people talking. An album with a high rating in a genre I'm not familiar with is interesting and might have me check it out - but there's obviously times when it doesn't work for me and I end up feeling underwhelmed. Simply because you can't like everything and some things won't 'work' for you.

But for me the key difference is you don't need to give something a 0.5 or 1 star rating just because it's not your thing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1116 on: August 24, 2021, 04:25:49 AM »
I don't mean to come off sounding like I'm defending those people not being into metal, listening to BTBAM and rating it low, but I can kinda see both sides of it. For my own music exploration, I often turn to the RYM charts to see what's new and what has people talking. An album with a high rating in a genre I'm not familiar with is interesting and might have me check it out - but there's obviously times when it doesn't work for me and I end up feeling underwhelmed. Simply because you can't like everything and some things won't 'work' for you.

But for me the key difference is you don't need to give something a 0.5 or 1 star rating just because it's not your thing.
Agreed. I've rated over 4,000 albums on RYM and only once ever given something 0.5 stars.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1117 on: August 24, 2021, 05:18:42 AM »

Agreed. I've rated over 4,000 albums on RYM and only once ever given something 0.5 stars.

Intrigued to know what that album is.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1118 on: August 24, 2021, 05:39:53 AM »

Intrigued to know what that album is.
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/true_symphonic_rockestra/concerto_in_true_minor/

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1119 on: August 24, 2021, 06:01:35 AM »
 :lol

I liked your short, to the point, cutting review.