Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 131492 times)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #1050 on: August 11, 2021, 07:26:14 AM »
BTBAM broke my concert dry spell since March 2020 last night. It was pretty great - I've seen them a bunch of times, but this might have been the best.

Every album had one song played from it (except for TGM obviously, and 2 from Automata if you consider both parts to be the same album) - they even played More Of Myself To Kill from the debut which I had never heard before, and it sounded pretty awesome.

The one-two punch of Swim To The Moon / White Walls at the end was insane... can't think of a better way to end the show!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 07:32:11 AM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1051 on: August 11, 2021, 07:34:07 AM »
BTBAM broke my concert dry spell since March 2020 last night. It was pretty great - I've seen them a bunch of times, but this might have been the best.

Every album had one song played from it (except for TGM obviously, and 2 from Automata if you consider both parts to be the same album) - they even played More Of Myself To Kill from the debut which I had never heard before, and it sounded pretty awesome.

The one-two punch of Swim To The Moon / White Walls at the end was insane... can't think of a better way to end the show!

It’ll be the same for me next Friday in Chicago. The Colors II release show.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1052 on: August 11, 2021, 07:40:47 AM »
I forgot Colors II was coming out so soon. :metal
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1053 on: August 11, 2021, 08:41:56 AM »
Saw them in Richmond last Wednesday. Also my first concert since March of last year, and damn it was awesome. The Great Misdirect is the album that got me into the band so it was great getting to see that live in full.

Looking forward to Colors II, which comes out the day after my birthday  :metal

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1054 on: August 13, 2021, 08:45:13 AM »
Colors II is out on 8/20 on all formats right? Cuz I preordered the CD on Amazon and it says ‘released on October 8th’. Was wondering what’s up with that….

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1055 on: August 13, 2021, 09:00:09 AM »
Colors II is out on 8/20 on all formats right? Cuz I preordered the CD on Amazon and it says ‘released on October 8th’. Was wondering what’s up with that….

Oh, I think they announced the physical versions were getting delayed due to manufacturing difficulties. The album is still getting released digitally next week though.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1056 on: August 18, 2021, 05:42:36 AM »

Oh, I think they announced the physical versions were getting delayed due to manufacturing difficulties. The album is still getting released digitally next week though.

Well that sucks. I had no clue and was wondering why I hadn't gotten a 'shipped' email yet.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1057 on: August 19, 2021, 07:45:09 PM »
I saw BTBAM on August 15 and it was fucking amazing and basically breathed a second wind of life into my lungs. Already bought tickets to see them again in North Carolina on the last night of the tour because the setlist is that damn good on this tour. This is basically a once in a lifetime kinda setlist for them.

Before Colors II comes out tonight, I decided to rank my Top 25 BTBAM tracks. Just because I guess.

25. Aspirations
24. Mordecai
23. Shevanel Cut A Flip
22. Alaska
21. Disease, Injury, Madness
20. Turn On The Darkness
19. All Bodies
18. Blot
17. Lay Your Ghosts To Rest
16. Autodidact
15. Condemned To The Gallows
14. Lunar Wilderness
13. Prequel To Sequel
12. Memory Palace
11. Voice of Trespass
10. Augment of Rebirth
9. Extremophile Elite
8. Mirrors/Obfuscation
7. Melting City
6. Yellow Eyes
5. Ants of The Sky
4. Telos
3. Swim To The Moon
2. White Walls
1. Fossil Genera (A Feed From Cloud Mountain)

I’d be curious to see anyone’s at least Top 10. For some reason I’m insanely excited for this new album :).  I think seeing them perform so many of my favorite songs live the other night put me in a really good mood.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1058 on: August 19, 2021, 08:38:31 PM »
It's tricky to think of a Top 25, but here's what my Top 10 would look like. 1-7 is solid, the rest could be interchangeable with a few other songs.

1. Silent Flight Parliament
2. Prequel to the Sequel
3. The Proverbial Bellow
4. Melting City
5. Voice of Trespass
6. Telos
7. Bloom
8. Fossil Genera (A Feed From Cloud Mountain)
9. Augment of Rebirth
10. Shevanel Take 2

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1059 on: August 19, 2021, 08:54:44 PM »
1: White Walls
2: All Bodies
3: Swim To The Moon
4: Ants Of The Sky
5: Selkies

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1060 on: August 19, 2021, 09:49:05 PM »
Cool to see All Bodies ranked that high! That was my introduction to the band. It was a complete WTF moment in my life. I'd never heard anything remotely like it. This was shortly after Alaska came out, I want to say early 2006 maybe. Changed my musical life!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1061 on: August 19, 2021, 10:35:08 PM »
Colors II just popped up on Tidal! Listening now!!!!! Let's GO! :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1062 on: August 19, 2021, 10:57:11 PM »
OK, Revolution in Limbo is amazing, but is Tommy saying "my nuts on this trout" at the end?  :rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1063 on: August 19, 2021, 11:04:01 PM »
Oh ho ho ho, the riffing at the beginning of Never Seen / Future Shock is soooooo good!!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1064 on: August 19, 2021, 11:15:22 PM »
Only 5 tracks in, this is album of the year! Doesn't matter what Dream Theater has cooked up, they won't even come close.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1065 on: August 19, 2021, 11:42:12 PM »
Shit this is out already?  Damn time flies.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1066 on: August 19, 2021, 11:47:12 PM »
Shit this is out already?  Damn time flies.
Yeah, just released about 2 hours ago. I'm almost through the whole thing once.

I gotta say the whole band is on point here, but I really think Tommy steals the show, in more ways than one.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: August 19, 2021, 11:50:33 PM »
this is kicking my ass

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #1068 on: August 19, 2021, 11:52:20 PM »
Ahh the suspense is killing me! Great to hear this early praise. My vinyl copy won't get here until October  :'(

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1069 on: August 19, 2021, 11:55:58 PM »
Ahh the suspense is killing me! Great to hear this early praise. My vinyl copy won't get here until October  :'(
It will be worth the wait!
I'm listening to the master recording on Tidal. Sounds really good. Production is on point.

Human is Hell (Another One with Love) is just jaw droppingly amazing! It's like they took White Walls and Swim to the Moon and turned everything up to 11 and beyond. What a way to end the album.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: August 20, 2021, 12:32:56 AM »

Seems like the CD won't be available in Australia until October too. Bah!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1071 on: August 20, 2021, 12:38:41 AM »
OK, just started listening. Is it weird to say that only 1.30sec in Monochrome I can already tell this album is going to be awesome.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1072 on: August 20, 2021, 01:23:42 AM »
Oh wow. Just finished my first liten. Since I am working (it's playing in the background) and I have a 1½ year old daughter I don't have the luxury to sit down and focus on albums in the way I did before. For that reason I can't fully connect every piece of music to a specific song or piece yet. But let's say that this is the best album they released since Parallax II. I can't imagine that changing over time. And yes, Parallax II is a masterpiece in my book.

This album feels like one of the most creative and inspired albums from BTBAM yet, which is saying a lot. It's consistent yet using tons of colors (pun intended) to paint the music and staying consistent to the BTBAM vibe. A bit amazed how mature this band is in their writing and production and how they are able to actually made a sequel to Colors I and seemingly getting away with it. It's like DT doing a Scenes From a Memory 3. Well relatively at least  ;D

Edit: When I hear all these super cool transitions and quirky sounds from BTBAM I tend to wish DT would do the same to a degree. DT has been kind of stuck into a specific sound and plays it quite safe. It's something I often like but damn I wish they would do more crazy stuff.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 01:41:08 AM by Pettor »

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: August 20, 2021, 01:26:12 AM »
fantastic record!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1074 on: August 20, 2021, 03:16:17 AM »
i liked it but it's not better than the original, which is not better than tgm
will need some time to sit with it

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1075 on: August 20, 2021, 03:45:18 AM »
Colors II is a pretty good album! I think there's a lot more variety here than the original, though whether I prefer the prequel or the sequel better will have to be determined with future listens of this one.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1076 on: August 20, 2021, 04:34:41 AM »
I’m not feeling it straight out of the gate, which probably means this has replay value and will end up being a favorite. It’s sounding very chaotic which is definitely a quality Colors had too. This will need a proper moment for me to sit down with it and blast it out loud.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline billboy73

« Reply #1077 on: August 20, 2021, 07:23:36 AM »
This band never ceases to amaze! I just love what they do, and Colors II is great.  I will spend some quality time digesting this album, but after a listen, it is solid.

Also, Hopefully they will film one of the shows from this tour for release.  It is such a great set.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1078 on: August 20, 2021, 07:29:58 AM »
Cool to see All Bodies ranked that high! That was my introduction to the band. It was a complete WTF moment in my life. I'd never heard anything remotely like it. This was shortly after Alaska came out, I want to say early 2006 maybe. Changed my musical life!

All Bodies kicks serious ass. Usually their more metalcore-focused tracks don't go over too well for me but the heavy sections are just done so well on that song. I also quite like Roboturner for similar reasons, though that's not one of my favorites or anything.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1079 on: August 20, 2021, 09:23:59 AM »
Absolutely amazing so far. I'm loving the musical parallels between Monochrome/Double Helix and Foam Born A/B. Tasteful, classy, and most of all fun as fuck. Can't wait to listen to the rest of the album beyond the 2 tracks they've pre-released.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1080 on: August 20, 2021, 10:40:13 AM »
So, I tried marijuana for the first time in my life last night, and listened to Colors II a few hours into the trance. Laying on the couch, covered my whole body and face under a blanket, all the lights off. Total sensory deprivation other than my airpods and the album.

I started at Never Seen/Future Shock and let the entire rest of the album to the end play without opening my eyes, pausing, or looking at the track names, so I don’t even know where songs start and end, I was totally lost in the vastness of the black void, onslaughted by rainbow worlds in a vortex.

I can’t describe how unique the experience was. I haven’t felt that elevated by music since i listened to Scenes From A Memory for the first time. Absolutely best thing theyve done since Parallax II.

What I heard went beyond music. I could feel the music. I honestly felt like I was being launched into space in the final moments. I was surrounded by a color spectrum I cant describe.

Really trying not to sound like a stereotypical stoner moron but I think now I understand how people in the 70s felt smoking up while listening to Dark Side of The Moon and such.

I feel like this is one of the greatest albums of all time. Prog, metal, or otherwise.

I don’t want to listen to it again until I can replicate the atmosphere again.

I dont remember all of it, but all morning I’ve been getting flashbacks of snippets. I remember the album being very keyboard centric and catchy as fuck. This is BTBAM at their poppiest but it works amazingly well. So fresh. No other BTBAM album sounds like this one, post Fix The Error at least (the singles are very standard fair for the band but i feel like every thing from Never Seen onwards is just a completely new experience).

I’m going to digest this album verrrrry slowly. Its still so fresh and I’m not gonna play it to death.  Never felt this way about an album before....

Just wow.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1081 on: August 20, 2021, 12:28:14 PM »
That’s awesome dude. I can relate, I’ve had many amazing experiences with music and the mary J. The first thing that gets bypassed is my critical ear, comparing to other music and having certain expectations. I can let it be and experience the music with my total undivided attention.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1082 on: August 20, 2021, 12:32:57 PM »
I've not gotten around to this album quite yet, but it seems everywhere I've been reading about it today, it's been nothing but positive!

I'm far from a huge BTBAM fan. I only really love Parallax II, and I find Colors really overrated. That being said, I am looking forward to giving this new one a spin, I just don't think BTBAM do it for me like they do for so many others.

Going into this new album, I'd rank their albums as follows:

Parallax II
Automata I&II
The Great Misdirect

Coma Ecliptic
Colors
The Silent Circus
Alaska

I guess we'll see where Colors II stacks up in a few hours. You guys are really selling it so here's hoping.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1083 on: August 20, 2021, 12:42:23 PM »
I'm on my second listen of Colors II and my first impression is that is indeed amazing. Musically I'm sure references are buried to Colors all overall. Some are quite obvious, others will require some deep listening.
Amazing for sure. YouTube Music at least sounds really good too. It should suffice until the CD arrives.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1084 on: August 21, 2021, 06:54:18 AM »
First spin of Colors II and while it's not up there with the first one, I would say it feels like a worthy sequel and possibly better than anything they have made since. (And I still really like those albums)