Author Topic: DT's families  (Read 21248 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
DT's families
« on: February 02, 2014, 09:09:25 AM »
Not that this should descend into prying into people's personal lives, but I think it's kinda interesting that I can't remember any talk about their families, or who they even are. JP's wife Rena is probably the most known person, and I know one of MP's kids name is Melody (terrible name, sorry).
What about the others though? JM, JLB, JR? For all I know one of them could be gay, or a lifelong bachelor.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT's families
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 09:20:23 AM »
JLB and JP both occasionally retweet stuff of their sons and daughters doing music stuff. John's son Reny posts a lot of songs on Youtube.

But, dude, you haven't heard of Max Portnoy's band? He's gonna be on the prog cruise! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2ofO61iwzM   :lol
(obviously, the band is a work in progress)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 09:34:40 AM »
Although it seems that way, I really doubt that you're not aware of JP, JM and MP all being married to members of this all-girl metal band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_BxB4qYrPk (JP and MP snapped up the two guitarists, JM picked up the bassist)

Also, Jordan's wife is surprisingly hot, as seen on this 24 year old picture, posted on JR's Facebook:

You can see MP wave to his family somewhere at the beginning of Score and allegedly his son fell asleep not long after.

They also mention in Lifting Shadows that JLB was married when he got into DT, which was a good fit, since they were all together with their soon-to-be-wives girlfriends (except for Kevin Moore who was forever alone, but at least he got to sign boobs).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 09:45:21 AM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:47:01 AM »
Although it seems that way, I really doubt that you're not aware of JP, JM and MP all being married to members of this all-girl metal band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_BxB4qYrPk

Also, Jordan's wife is surprisingly hot, as seen on this 24 year old picture, posted on JR's Facebook:

You can see MP wave to his family somewhere at the beginning of Score and allegedly his son fell asleep not long after.

They also mention in Lifting Shadows that JLB was married when he got into DT, which was a good fit, since they were all together with their soon-to-be-wives girlfriends (except for Kevin Moore who was forever alone, but at least he got to sign boobs).

She looks a little bit like Sarah Brightman.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 09:56:40 AM »
You know your women. :lol

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 09:58:59 AM »
All of them always put their families in their "thank you" notes on their albums, so while they don't go out of their way to discuss their families in interviews, the are widely known. JLB talks about his kids quite a bit, and they were even present at the VIP signings in Toronto last time around. At least Chance was.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 10:05:15 AM »
Rena Petrucci is shredding away in a JP (Judas Priest in this case) tribute band these days: https://youtu.be/f4ZuX6o417g?t=2m29s

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 10:10:24 AM »
I was a little confused today because I decided to do an instagram account and one of the first followers was Chance Labrie, James' son! That was great but really unexpected!  :tup
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 10:25:25 AM »
You know your women. :lol

I'm a mimbo. It comes with the territory.   ;)

Rena Petrucci is shredding away in a JP (Judas Priest in this case) tribute band these days: https://youtu.be/f4ZuX6o417g?t=2m29s

I've been curious about checking them out.   

Just some useless info, Rena and I share the same birthday (though different years).  I only noticed becayse JP wished her a happy birthday on his page that day.   ;D

Offline eosforum

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 11:54:51 AM »
So rumborak, you have 20something thousand posts in a DT forum and you don't know if one of them is gay or bachelor? All their family members are mentioned in all CD/DVD booklets and every once in a while they will mention them in interviews or tweets. Especially MP and JP.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 11:57:46 AM »
JP said on a recent interview Reny is studying in Berklee. I have never seen any of his videos, but that seems really cool.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 12:02:30 PM »
In "Lifting Shadows" JLB talks quite a bit about how he and his wife grew up in the same rural part of Canada and made the conscious decision to continue living there to raise their kids.  As I recall, he and his wife have at least 2 kids.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 12:54:22 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPclSqkwdJc

Chance and Chloe LaBrie doing a Rhianna song in (what I'm assuming is) their basement.  They have two other songs on their channel.  They posted all three within a few weeks of one another so I was thinking it would be a regular thing but this was a while ago.  Hopefully they post more. 

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 01:04:56 PM »
Chloe and Chance also said they were going to do a DT song, and there was also supposed to be an interview with them, but it never happened. I'm surprised the OP hasn't seen all this, I always thought the DT guys were relatively open about talking about their families.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 01:14:14 PM »
JP said on a recent interview Reny is studying in Berklee. I have never seen any of his videos, but that seems really cool.

Here you go:
Reny Petrucci:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCqGECrRM0Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AvMf5wCeBM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvrLRkNZXnk

Samantha Petrucci:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTd6GEeQG0I
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 01:27:06 PM by YtseJamittaja »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 01:57:56 PM »
She should go on American Idol and sing The Spirit Carries On. 

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 02:17:43 PM »
She should go on American Idol and sing The Spirit Carries On.

Oh no, remember her dad's performance  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:21:02 AM by YtseJamittaja »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 07:57:08 PM »
Chloe and Chance also said they were going to do a DT song, and there was also supposed to be an interview with them, but it never happened.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. 

I think someone posted on here about going to a Dream theater afterparty backstage and one of John Myung's kids was running around taking pictures of everything. 

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 08:59:46 AM »
Funny story.  In May 2011, I was attending Jordan's solo show in West Nyack to benefit Japan, and I called to secure a VIP ticket and meet JR after the show.  When I called, his wife answered.  Apparently, she was handling the VIP passes for that show or something.  It was around the time when we were eagerly awaiting the announcement of the new drummer, and I asked if she could give me a hint.  She said no, but she said Jordan was actually talking to him on the phone in the next room at that very moment.  She was really nice and the show was great.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 11:57:48 AM »
I met Jordan Rudess's mother like 2 week before she passed. She was very sweet.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 01:26:34 PM »
Relevant:

Thats top line: Tour Manager, unknown, Jordan Rudess, Danielle Rudess, Karen LaBrie, James LaBrie, Frank Solomon (DT's Manager), Mike Mangini, Bonnie Mangini, John Myung, Lisa Myung, Rena Petrucci, John Petrucci.
Bottom line: Ari Rudess, Kayla Rudess, Sami Petrucci, Reny Petrucci, Kiara Petrucci, Chance LaBrie, Chloe LaBrie
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:37:55 PM by noxon »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 01:28:58 PM »
I saw that photo once before.  They all have beautiful families!  Awesome photo!  :tup

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 03:46:25 PM »
I've always wondered if they have ever been over to each others houses, like since they all got nice big houses and live far apart.  Weird thing to wonder I know. 

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 03:48:40 PM »
I wonder what sorts of musical tastes their children have...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 03:54:53 PM »
I've always wondered if they have ever been over to each others houses, like since they all got nice big houses and live far apart.  Weird thing to wonder I know. 

I thought I read that the original core members (Petrucci, Myung, and Portnoy) grew up in the same neighborhood, or have houses in the same neighborhood.  They and Kevin Moore grew up together, so it would make sense that they'd been to each other's houses, though maybe not the houses they live in now.

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 04:13:59 PM »

JP's daughter likes Lady Gaga, that's what I heard. His son is slightly better. At least makes some music containing the "feels"

JLB's son and daughter like DT, but saw videos of them making covers of some pop songs. Though they were going to do some DT too.

No idea about JR, JMX and MM. Though Portnoy's son, Max has his band and it's really cool! ;D

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 04:15:51 PM »
Lady Gaga is awesome, n00b.

j/k

(about the n00b part, not the Lady Gaga being awesome part)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 04:28:11 PM »
Not that this should descend into prying into people's personal lives, but I think it's kinda interesting that I can't remember any talk about their families, or who they even are. JP's wife Rena is probably the most known person, and I know one of MP's kids name is Melody (terrible name, sorry).
What about the others though? JM, JLB, JR? For all I know one of them could be gay, or a lifelong bachelor.

I was thinking about this today, I remember MP had a signature range of stack cymbals called Max Stax or something.  There was also something named after Melody (which is a pretty sweet name imo) iirc, but I can't think of what it was.

Lady Gaga is awesome, n00b.

also, this.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 04:29:24 PM »

I remember reading on an MP interview, don't know if it's just my memory or something making up stuff, that JMX lives on the same street as MP. Don't know if either of them has moved, but that interview (again, if it's not something my memory is making up) happened after MP left the band.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2014, 05:30:46 PM »

I thought I read that the original core members (Petrucci, Myung, and Portnoy) grew up in the same neighborhood, or have houses in the same neighborhood.  They and Kevin Moore grew up together, so it would make sense that they'd been to each other's houses, though maybe not the houses they live in now.

Well thats what I meant.  It would make sense that they have been over to JP's house because I believe he lives maybe 30-60 minutes from Cove studios.  But has anyone ever been to James's house?  Have they ever been like, "Hey why don't you and the family fly up to Canada and we'll go ride a moose?"  As good as they all get along, it seems like it is mostly professional.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 06:52:20 PM »
That's an awesome photo.  It really shows what a family DT is.  I can picture them having backyard barbecues.

Also, I suddenly have the idea to mate a Petrucci and Rudess child to create a super musician.   :metal
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 07:02:27 PM »
This conversation just got reeeeeally creepy. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 07:06:47 PM »
This conversation just got reeeeeally creepy. 

This^

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2014, 07:27:24 PM »
Also, I suddenly have the idea to mate a Petrucci and Rudess child to create a super musician.   :metal

That very thing is actually going to be accomlished three separate times in the future.  The resulting offspring were so superhumanly potent that upon birth, they instantaneously time traveled back in time and became known as Chuck Norris, Jack Bauer, and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., respectively.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 12:28:12 PM »
Well played,