Author Topic: Seriously Cool Pictures  (Read 58434 times)

Offline crazy climber dude

Re: Seriously Cool Pictures
« Reply #350 on: June 12, 2022, 03:20:40 PM »
CCD I really enjoy your pictures. I like Nature shots a lot and those Sand Dunes look really, really amazing.

Thank you. The Great Sand Dunes are really amazing...so I give them all the credit! I have quite a few cool shots of that area.

I will post more later if people want to see, but don't want to monopolize the thread here.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #351 on: June 12, 2022, 05:18:57 PM »
I hope others will post more photos....so mine won't seem so gratuitous!

Please post as many as you want, been enjoying your pictures. I will have to go through my files, plus I wouldn't call my pictures "Seriously cool" but here are two I have readily available. This is one I took in 2018 of the famous 3 bells of Fira, with the Caldera/Volcano in the background.

This one is a dramatic sunset (Phone shot). What I like about this one is the divide between red light and white light with the clouds.

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

« Reply #352 on: June 13, 2022, 09:27:30 AM »
We can get some pretty unusual/spectacular sunrises/sunsets where I live....

Front Range sunset over Equalizer Lake in Loveland, Colorado by Mark Curtis, on Flickr

Windsor Lake Thanksgiving morning by Mark Curtis, on Flickr

« Reply #353 on: June 20, 2022, 05:51:56 PM »

Online faizoff

« Reply #354 on: June 21, 2022, 10:28:20 AM »
Excellent shots as always CCD, I need to take some landscape shots, go on hikes, etc.

@Vmadera00 those are awesome shots. Is the 2nd one from a plane?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

« Reply #355 on: June 21, 2022, 12:19:38 PM »
Excellent shots as always CCD, I need to take some landscape shots, go on hikes, etc.

Thanks. And, yes....you do.

« Reply #356 on: June 26, 2022, 12:31:20 PM »
I took this mind bending shot in 2012. It's a reflection of a beaver lodge in a river....then flipped 180 degrees in post processing to create an even "cooler" effect.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #357 on: June 26, 2022, 01:29:17 PM »
That's cool,

I had a bad photography session last night. I went to my favorite stargazing place, tried to take a couple Milky way shots and I attempted to do the same as your image. I was trying to reflect the night sky on the lake, but for the life of me I couldn't get a good shot. I'll try again next time I'm up there.

Also, I had a face palm moment when I realized I charged everything except my tracking moment  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 02:15:33 PM by Vmadera00 »

« Reply #358 on: June 26, 2022, 07:00:11 PM »
That's cool,

I had a bad photography session last night. I went to my favorite stargazing place, tried to take a couple Milky way shots and I attempted to do the same as your image. I was trying to reflect the night sky on the lake, but for the life of me I couldn't get a good shot. I'll try again next time I'm up there.

Also, I had a face palm moment when I realized I charged everything except my tracking moment  :facepalm:

How far away from where you live is this place?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #359 on: June 26, 2022, 07:09:57 PM »
With no traffic, a little less than 2 hours.

I'm part of an amateur astronomy group, and we have a permit to use the area, but it's only one weekend per month (whatever weekend is closer to new moon). I live in NYC, so option under 2 hour drive are rare or not as good  :'( I'll post one of the pictures I took when I get to my computer

Online faizoff

« Reply #360 on: June 26, 2022, 09:20:31 PM »
I took this mind bending shot in 2012. It's a reflection of a beaver lodge in a river....then flipped 180 degrees in post processing to create an even "cooler" effect.

Amazing composition!

@Vmadera00 that sounds really cool. I'm sure the pictures will be great regardless.

Curious about the gear you guys use, any use mirrorless cameras that seem to be the trend now? I'm sure I asked it before and the answers are buried somewhere in the thread. I have a Nikon D7500 that I bought due to a price mistake on Best Buy. Came with two lenses 18-55mm and 55-300mm. Got the whole thing for $800, sold my old kit (Nikon D5200) for about $450 so overall didn't cost that much. I thought I had pics of it stored somewhere, but I don't so will take some tomorrow and post here.

I also have an 8m fisheye lens along with two prime lenses (35mm & 50mm), I absolutely love taking shots with all of them. Thing is 90% of my 1000s of pics are of my kids and each lens captures really unique situations.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

« Reply #361 on: June 27, 2022, 05:15:46 AM »

Amazing composition!

@Vmadera00 that sounds really cool. I'm sure the pictures will be great regardless.

Curious about the gear you guys use, any use mirrorless cameras that seem to be the trend now? I'm sure I asked it before and the answers are buried somewhere in the thread. I have a Nikon D7500 that I bought due to a price mistake on Best Buy. Came with two lenses 18-55mm and 55-300mm. Got the whole thing for $800, sold my old kit (Nikon D5200) for about $450 so overall didn't cost that much. I thought I had pics of it stored somewhere, but I don't so will take some tomorrow and post here.

I also have an 8m fisheye lens along with two prime lenses (35mm & 50mm), I absolutely love taking shots with all of them. Thing is 90% of my 1000s of pics are of my kids and each lens captures really unique situations.

Thank you. I am glad people enjoy these enough to comment.

Yeah, my gear is very basic. I have two mirrorless cameras...both Sony. Both great values. An A6000....which I think is the highest selling mirrorless camera ever. And an NEX-6....which is not a whole lot different. Then, just the 16-50 and the 55-210. I keep the wide angle on the A6000 and the long zoom on the NEX. Their batteries and lenses are interchangeable, which is a big plus.

I think the latest iteration of the A6000 base model is the A6400. I am not all up on what makes it better, but I'm sure there are a parade of things. Not sure about other manufacturers either...I used to keep up on that stuff when I was in the market for purchasing. But since I bought these I am very content for the time being.

I started off with point and shoot (Sony W1), then a hybrid/bridge (Panasonic FZ5). Finally taking the splash into the DSLR world....with an entry level Pentax in the early 2000's (*istDL). Then bought a Pentax Kr and Kx. Perhaps the best overall camera I had was the Pentax K5. But it was a TANK to carry around. So I went mirrorless and sold all my DSLR bodies and lenses. Best choice I have ever made in photography.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #362 on: June 27, 2022, 06:41:23 AM »
Yeah mirrorless are good cameras, and probably what my next purchase will be whenever I decide to upgrade.

I have a Canon T7i with 18-55mm lens and a 24mm f/2.8 lens. The 18-55 I use for daytime photography while the 24mm I used for night sky. Every so often I mount the camera to a travel scope (70mm) if I want to shoot the moon or a wide area in the sky. Then I have a ZWO ASI224 for deep sky imaging (still learning how to use this one).

When using the travel scope for imaging, I use the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer tracking mount.

Online faizoff

« Reply #363 on: June 27, 2022, 08:55:42 AM »
CCD I'm debating going the same route and getting a mirrorless set. I might get a used mirrorless camera to dip my fingers into that world and see how it plays out. If I like it I'll just get rid of the Nikon though I really like my lenses. I feel like I'm missing out on excellent 4k video features and while the D7500 takes great 4k video, the autofocus sucks, it's auto cropped by 1/3 and has barely any stabilization. I find myself taking more and more videos of the kids and wished the camera would take capture better video.

« Reply #364 on: June 27, 2022, 12:44:01 PM »
CCD I'm debating going the same route and getting a mirrorless set. I might get a used mirrorless camera to dip my fingers into that world and see how it plays out. If I like it I'll just get rid of the Nikon though I really like my lenses. I feel like I'm missing out on excellent 4k video features and while the D7500 takes great 4k video, the autofocus sucks, it's auto cropped by 1/3 and has barely any stabilization. I find myself taking more and more videos of the kids and wished the camera would take capture better video.

The clincher for me was that I do a lot of hiking/biking.....so both volume and weight GREATLY favors the mirrorless bodies/lenses. And what I discovered in the process (spent a $100 on a cheap Sony mirrorless the NEX C3 to experiment).....I was getting the same quality shots from the mirrorless bodies/lenses as I was the DSLR's.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #365 on: June 27, 2022, 02:17:53 PM »
There is a photography thread to which this type of discussion may be better suited.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=9168
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online faizoff

« Reply #366 on: June 27, 2022, 02:56:33 PM »
There is a photography thread to which this type of discussion may be better suited.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=9168

Completely forgot that thread and I took part in it quite a bit too. Thanks for the heads up.

Online faizoff

« Reply #367 on: June 28, 2022, 02:39:25 PM »
Nothing exciting or cool, had taken a shot of the supermoon a few weeks back on the 15th morning (~1 am)

I was too sick to get up early and see the five planets align that happened last week.

The photo doesn't do it justice, it was so bright that night, same night of the Coldplay concert I went to and could see this in the background but alas couldn't take my DSLR there.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #368 on: June 29, 2022, 06:04:02 AM »
I was too sick to get up early and see the five planets align that happened last week.

Technically 7 planets  :P

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Posting the link because the site has labels for the planets (The image doesn't).

Online faizoff

« Reply #369 on: June 29, 2022, 06:08:14 AM »
That makes me feel even worse.

Side note, I've tried taking those 360 shots and have failed miserably. I think I should try it again sometime soon.

« Reply #370 on: July 01, 2022, 10:35:57 AM »
I took this sunrise shot over the Arkansas River....on a photo taking trip in southern Colorado. Hopefully cool enough on its own merit...but remembered I had used a DT song for the title.

« Reply #371 on: July 27, 2022, 07:36:00 AM »
Just got back from a photo trip. I took this at dawn from Inspiration Point at Bryce Canyon National Park in southwestern Utah. If so desired, you click on the photo, and it will take you to the site where the photo is posted....and you can see it full size.

Like minded enthusiasm by Mark Curtis, on Flickr
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 07:41:31 AM by crazy climber dude »

Online faizoff

« Reply #372 on: July 29, 2022, 10:59:05 AM »
That is just breathtakingly beautiful.

« Reply #373 on: July 30, 2022, 06:49:17 AM »
That is just breathtakingly beautiful.
Thank you. It's an incredible place! I'll have a couple more from there I will post in the coming days.  :tup

Online faizoff

« Reply #374 on: August 01, 2022, 02:48:32 PM »
Been meaning to ask if that picture was a composite and stitched together? I see on the page the specs show that it's shot at 16mm. Was it that wide to capture the entire Canyon/valley? Either way it looks gorgeous on my giant 32" 4k monitor.

« Reply #375 on: August 01, 2022, 09:24:06 PM »
Been meaning to ask if that picture was a composite and stitched together? I see on the page the specs show that it's shot at 16mm. Was it that wide to capture the entire Canyon/valley? Either way it looks gorgeous on my giant 32" 4k monitor.

Cool, man.....glad it looks good on that 4K. I have a 29"" curved monitor (though just 1080), and those panos look spendid on full screen. 

To answer your first question.....yes....and no. It IS a composite and it is stitched together. However, it was all done in camera. Most commonly, panos are done in post processing with a series of conventional sized photos...with often mixed results (ha, ha). But the Sony cameras have the Sweep Panorama mode, and most times it works well if you can move the camera at a consistent pace (and level) across the field of view. They have this feature on most of their mirrorless line of cameras...going back several years/models. I have an NEX 6 that only cost me $250 used (but with very low shutter count) that features this mode, but this particular shot was done with the A6000 and 16-50, practically pancake, kit lens. I paid about $700 new for the whole kit and kaboodle (pun intended).....including the 55-210 zoom as well (smoking deal :hat). It's really an astonishing feature....and the best part is----no stitching necessary by the photographer later.

So the 16mm is just the widest setting on the lens....so that is how it's showed in the EXIF. Obviously it's much wider in the context of the entire scene....without the barrel distortion that comes from an often considerably more expensive, super wide/fish eye prime lens. Although, yes....the extra "width" on the pano here is just that...wider on the horizon. A wider angle lens will capture the vertical larger as well. And no, it's not National Geographic quality. But considering you can buy this lens for about $100 on Ebay, it's a tremendous value. Plus, these are just JPEG's, so not a gigantic file size like a RAW would yield.

Now, I say there was no post processing, and there wasn't on the stitching. I do, however....have a series of level adjustments I make in post processing on most every photo I take. The A6000 puts out quite decent photos with in-camera processing, but I like to tweak just enough to capture the scene....as much like I witnessed it in person as possible. I do not do "photoshopping"....beyond cloning out some lens flares or sensor spots. Most I might do to alter (more than just minor level adjustments) is apply an HDR filter (post processing)....and then I always share that info in the spirit of transparency (pun NOT intended!). Then, yes....I do add the frames and watermarks/titles. So there is altering in that regard. But typically nothing to change the overall integrity of the scene. An exception might be the mind bending shot I took with the reflection in the water, but really....it is merely (or in this case "mirrorly";D) flipped 180. So it creates the effect of something shopped, without going there.

And so, yes....to capture the entire (well.....a mighty portion therein) span....of this part of....the canyon/valley. It's such an amazing place, but....this is just the amphitheater....the vast majority of the park is not in this scene.

I try to put the viewer vicariously in my shoes, but there's really no substitute for experiencing this in person. You will be in awe. In lieu of that.....I will have a photo to share in a few days that shows more of the lower parts of the amphitheater....and at sunrise. I think you will find it also separating you from your oxygen.  ;)

« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 09:37:17 PM by crazy climber dude »

Online faizoff

« Reply #376 on: August 01, 2022, 10:17:33 PM »
Thanks for the awesome write-up! I understand what you're saying about the in-camera stitching. Very cool feature that you mention on the A6000, I may have something similar on mine, but I never use those extra features on the camera. I have an 8mm Rokinon that I love using whenever I get the chance. I took this almost 7 years ago back when I didn't know how to adjust properly. all I did was crop these pics a little. These aren't very well exposed and could've used a faster shutter speed. The curves throw off the picture a bit as well, lol not that great shots when I think of it but somehow I really like the look of how wide things are.

« Reply #377 on: August 02, 2022, 06:47:00 AM »
That Rokinon is a manual focus, correct? Yes, 8mm creates that fisheye effect....very cool shots!

Online faizoff

« Reply #378 on: August 02, 2022, 07:27:46 AM »
Yes it's a manual focus lens, though it only works on two settings 1 m and infinity. So that makes things kinda simple.

« Reply #379 on: August 03, 2022, 07:29:59 PM »
This is one of the shots to which I was alluding. The Seriously Cool Picture godz were definitely looking out for me on this fine morning. This is not from the conventional Bryce Point "overlook" spot with the understandable but annoying fence all around. I took my camera gear and walked several hundred yards south of there (on a trail)....no fence....no people....and I think a perfect vantage point for this grand scenic. To fully appreciate, you may want to click on the photo, then click again on the Flickr site version for full size. If you do so and linger a bit......you might not need any cardio work for awhile.  :heart   

First sunhit on the amphitheater by Mark Curtis, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 07:36:12 PM by crazy climber dude »

Online faizoff

« Reply #380 on: August 03, 2022, 07:41:19 PM »
Beautiful shot again and I get to really appreciate it looking on a large screen. The sun hitting the canyon with several different shades of red/orange gives a gorgeous contrast.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #381 on: August 04, 2022, 01:50:57 PM »
Since we are positing our own photos, I took this one today, and I find spiders cool:

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

« Reply #382 on: August 15, 2022, 12:58:10 PM »
Beautiful shot again and I get to really appreciate it looking on a large screen. The sun hitting the canyon with several different shades of red/orange gives a gorgeous contrast.

Thanks, I thought it turned out quite well.

XJDenton, that is an awesome, hairy spider!

« Reply #383 on: August 15, 2022, 01:08:02 PM »
This was taken just after sunrise near the south entrance to Yellowstone. I actually took this with a Sony point and shoot, over 16 years ago. My friend had his Canon DSLR with multiple lenses....he was still digging them out when I snapped this shot.

The most interesting part was that this very old bison actually stayed in his lane for the entire time we could see him. We watched him walk at a VERY slow, labored pace until he disappeared into the fog on the other side. It was just him and the two of us for many miles....we didn't see any other cars or bison for almost an hour. A very surreal moment to be sure. Plodding along, alone...it seemed like he might have sensed his own demise.  Yellowstone Park by Mark Curtis, on Flickr

« Reply #384 on: August 15, 2022, 02:40:56 PM »
This was taken just after sunrise near the south entrance to Yellowstone. I actually took this with a Sony point and shoot, over 16 years ago. My friend had his Canon DSLR with multiple lenses....he was still digging them out when I snapped this shot. He kicks himself to this day.

The most interesting part was that this very old bison actually stayed in his lane for the entire time we could see him. We watched him walk at a VERY slow, labored pace until he disappeared into the fog on the other side. It was just him and the two of us for many miles....we didn't see any other cars or bison for almost an hour. A very surreal moment to be sure. Plodding along, alone...it seemed like he might have sensed his own demise.  Yellowstone Park by Mark Curtis, on Flickr