Poll

How much would you be willing to pay to see MM vs. MP in an hour long drum battle?

$20 - $40
$41 - $60
$61 - $80
$81 - $100
$100 +
$0 - $19

Author Topic: The most amount of money you would pay to see a Mangini vs. Portnoy drum battle?  (Read 4794 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Someone would have to pay me to go and see it.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
Where is the $0 option?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Sadly there's no $0.00 dollar option, and even if you paid me I probably still wouldn't care.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
I selected $80, but I would pay that as an addition to it corresponding with an actual show.  Like an intermission or something.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I'm not a fan of drum solos or battles, but I'm sure they'd make it entertaining so $6:00.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
On a Christmas morning?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
On a Christmas morning?

It's the thought that counts, right?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
If they combined the drum battle with playing the AAA suite in its entirety ... I would probably poop in the venue entrance.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
In that case, I'd pay up to $1000 to watch a drum battle, plus the AA Suite, plus Rumbo pooping.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
Can I just pay a thousand bucks to get a vid of rumborak pooping at the venue entrance of a DT concert? Gotta keep filming till the cops show up, too. Lemme know, because I'll start the kickstarter ASAP.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
I think everyone else has pretty much covered it but I'll just add a giant WtF to this thread.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
In that case, I'd pay up to $1000 to watch a drum battle, plus the AA Suite, plus Rumbo pooping.

And hold it in either Germany or Japan. Then you'll easily set out a stadium.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline adastra

I'd pay for MP to play and MM to not play..
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

I´d pay a regular concert ticket price.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Well I'll say, those of you who keep trying to make the "where's the $0 option" joke, it wasn't even funny the first time, so try to come up with something original.

Other than that, I find it very interesting that a lot of you have a strong opinion about who is better bla bla bla, but if the time came for them to actually duke it out behind the kit just to see who would be more creative, you wouldn't care to see it… (although I'm sure if the time actually came, a lot of you would all of sudden gather a lot more interest)

And I also find it interesting how many of you are saying that you think drum solos are boring. I wasn't expecting that.

Anyways, mods feel free to lock this since no one has anything really constructive to say and they'd rather post negative comments as some sort of way to be a smart ass toward me, instead of just not saying anything at all.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
So.... Where is the $0 option?  You should give people all options possible.  What if I wanted to pay $19.99?

:neverusethis:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Just because we have an opinion on who is a better drummer doesn't mean we want to subject ourselves to endless drum solos.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by
(although I'm sure if the time actually came, a lot of you would all of sudden gather a lot more interest)

But it seems vaguely insulting. Do you really think we're just pretending not to like drum solos, but secretly it is our greatest desire?

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
I'm saying that right now it might not matter because it's a hypothetical situation, but if you actually had the chance to see it happen, it might become more appealing.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Ah, I see. That makes more sense. :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I don't think such a thing would prove anything about which is a better drummer.  In fact, I don't really understand the proposal at all.

But whatever.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

Well you know Germans and their crazy fetish videos.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LTE3

It's a mute point, and not very interesting. Portnoy has admitted he is not a great soloist, and mangini has made a living out of doing it. Of course it would be fun to see, but they did play together on Mike P's kit back in the day when he invited Mangini up to play with him during a DT show.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline The Letter M

It's a mute point, and not very interesting. Portnoy has admitted he is not a great soloist, and mangini has made a living out of doing it. Of course it would be fun to see, but they did play together on Mike P's kit back in the day when he invited Mangini up to play with him during a DT show.

Being drummers, they don't really have to speak, the drums do that for them. So yeah, I guess it would be a mute point.

:neverusethis: :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
Or a moo point

Lately I've been watching too many Friends reruns.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Cruithne

I'd pay between $20 and $40 to watch them beat one another senseless with drum paraphernalia.

I have no interest in watching the two try and outdo one another playing drum solos. I have better things to do, such as trying to use a brillo pad to get the floaters out of my eyes.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
You can't. They're in the viscous fluid inside your eyeball - not on the surface of your eye.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I don't think such a thing would prove anything about which is a better drummer.  In fact, I don't really understand the proposal at all.

But whatever.

If you're judging drummers by solo spots instead of fitting the songs, you're doing it wrong! :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
They could throw signature drums at each other in something akin to a pokemon battle. I'd consider parting with some serious cheese to see that.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
I would pay a grand total of $0.00 to see that. Drum solos and drum offs can be cool, but progressive drummers are really boring, and predictable. Give me Thomas Pridgen and Tony Royster Jr., and I'm there.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Is Pridgen the one that was playing with them for those Yahoo! sponsored live videos? If so, that dude was incredible.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I would pay a grand total of $0.00 to see that. Drum solos and drum offs can be cool, but progressive drummers are really boring, and predictable. Give me Thomas Pridgen and Tony Royster Jr., and I'm there.

Yeah. While we're all always debating the pros and cons of a small set of drummers, essentially implicitly treating as the best drummers out there, occasionally I will see a video of a jazz or fusion drummer and think "whoa". Metal drummers are often one-trick ponies; they can't play a shuffle to save their lives.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
This so called "battle" could finish in a blood bath!! :omg: :lol
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
I would pay a grand total of $0.00 to see that. Drum solos and drum offs can be cool, but gospel chops drummers are really boring, and predictable. Give me Benny Greb and Jojo Mayer., and I'm there.
 :P

Thomas Pridgen and Tony Royster Jr. are awesome!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Need an option for $0.00 - $0.00  :lol
This, not interested.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
but progressive drummers are really boring, and predictable. Give me Thomas Pridgen

... isn't Pridgen a progressive drummer?