Poll

How much would you be willing to pay to see MM vs. MP in an hour long drum battle?

$20 - $40
$41 - $60
$61 - $80
$81 - $100
$100 +
$0 - $19

Author Topic: The most amount of money you would pay to see a Mangini vs. Portnoy drum battle?  (Read 4795 times)

Online TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Don't think this has been asked yet. Very curious to see how interest people would be if this happened. :biggrin:
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
In before teh locked

Hey Jay, what about if they dueled in penguin costumes and threw krill at each other?

Online TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Interesting, I was expecting a little more interest. No matter, let's see where this all ends up. :)
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
In before teh locked

Hey Jay, what about if they dueled in penguin costumes and threw krill at each other?

Still meh.

I love Mangini. I love Portnoy. I just don't love drum duels/solos/battles/percussivemasterbation.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Need an option for $0.00 - $0.00  :lol

I love both of them as drummers, but in my world the drum solo portion of the concert was designed to allow me to pee without missing anything worth seeing.  ;)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Need an option for $0.00 - $0.00  :lol

I love both of them as drummers, but in my world the drum solo portion of the concert was designed to allow me to pee without missing anything worth seeing.  ;)

You need a Urinater Deviater.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I am pretty sure you'd have to pay me to watch something like that, because, really, who cares?  Drum solos are boring as shit 99.9999% of the time.

Offline jakepriest

Drum solos and battles are pretty boring to me, even as a drummer.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Drum solos and battles are pretty boring to me, even as a drummer.
Same here, especially battles. Drum solos are nice at drum clinics but even MM can't interest me with a solo that's over about 15 minutes. MP has said that he doesn't like doing drum solos anymore, and I didn't really like his drum solos that much anyway.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
A cheap alternative would be finding a bootleg of the DT show where they did a drum duet in 2002 :P

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
A cheap alternative would be finding a bootleg of the DT show where they did a drum duet in 2002 :P

When Mike & Mike Unite

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
I'd say $5-10

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
None
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
If it was a friendly and fun event, it would be kinda cool.  But I think some fans would be inclined to pick sides and it would become more of a competition, which would be a turn off for me.  They are both part of the DT family, and I wouldn't want them to compete.  But I'd shell out some $$$ for a fun battle that served as a fundraiser for a charity or something like that.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Yeah, they should call it WMPAMMU.   :\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ErHaO

I like drum solos in context of a show or in the midst of a song if well incorperated. But I have absolutely no interest in attending a drum-only battle, even when both are some of my favourite musicians.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Where's the option for $0?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Where's the option for $0?

Every DT drummer must be called Mike - the same as every Six Stringer must be called John ;D

Offline The Letter M

When Mike & Mike Unite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFCaNWeXH9E

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline son_ov_hades

I would pay for Mangini to stop doing drums solos. Drum solos are boring, even Neil Peart's can't hold my interest.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
But I'd shell out some $$$ for a fun battle that served as a fundraiser for a charity or something like that.

I'd give money to the charity and skip the event. I can't even describe how little this idea appeals to me.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lithium112

I would pay for Mangini to stop doing drums solos. Drum solos are boring, even Neil Peart's can't hold my interest.

Watching Mangini is the only time I've honestly enjoyed a drum solo in a concert from beginning to end. Something about the way he structures his solos manages to keep my interest for the whole however many minutes. His solo on LALP was AWESOME!

Now the next thing I wanna see is a JM/MM jam.  :metal

Offline PROGdrummer

Seriously? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJe8CyYggzo

Offline Madman Shepherd

I would pay the cost of a concert ticket so long as there is a dream theater concert around the 5-10 minute drum battle. 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Meh on the battle. I wouldn't mind them collaborating or duetting, or whatever the equivalent is with a drum set. I don't think there is a need for a battle though, and one wouldn't really interest me.

Offline son_ov_hades

Yeah one minute in and I turned it off. Rush is my favorite band and I love Peart's playing, but just drums is always boring to me.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member

Rush with Neil is awesome but his drumsolos are not that great imo. The malletcat section is just...why? But back to the topic. I would pay exactly 0$ for something like that. Nothing that interest me the slightest to be honest.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

When Mike & Mike Unite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFCaNWeXH9E

-Marc.

Oh I am well aware of that show.  The name of the bootleg for said show is When Mike and Mike Unite.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
And I was at that show suckas!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm a drummer and I appreciate a good drum solo and I hated Neil Peart's Time Machine solo. Especially the electronic section. WTF.

Literally anyone can sit on an electronic kit and randomly fire samples off...

Plus I really don't like his technique - he looks really awkward like he will fuck up at any moment :p

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
$1

I already know what each guy is capable of and brings to the table.