Author Topic: Is there one band that defies your music catalog?  (Read 5698 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Is there one band that defies your music catalog?
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2014, 08:57:44 AM »
Pet Shop Boys

Even though they are still recording to this day, most probably think of them as 80s music, and while my love for 80s music is no secret (see: my 80s Song of the Day thread!), most of those 80s songs I have nostalgic love for, are by artists I either have only one album by (like a greatest hits or something) or none (meaning, I bought those old hits from amazon or iTunes for a buck).  But in the case of Pet Shop Boys, I own, I think, 5 or 6 of their physical CDs (and most of the others on mp3).  That is by far the most music I have by any artist that would be described as synth pop, electronic, or dance.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2014, 09:54:41 AM »
I've got a handful of bands/albums from my teenage years that would defy what I listen to now...

Mr. Mister - Welcome to the Real World
Prince & the Revolution - Purple Rain
Gowan - Great Dirty World, and Strange Animal

More recently, No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom would probably fit the bill.  Love that album.

Oh, and being a good Canadian, I love me my Shania.

And everyone should have Abba!

There are some older (American Idol) albums in my library I had originally for iPod listening in the car for the kids that I don't mind... Adam Lambert, David Cook, Bo Bice, Carrie Underwood.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »
Not really, if I like something I usually find at least two or three more bands in that vein.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2014, 11:06:49 AM »
I listen to German rap. That should suffice for this thread :lol

Must have link! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2014, 11:11:25 AM »
Pet Shop Boys

Even though they are still recording to this day, most probably think of them as 80s music, and while my love for 80s music is no secret (see: my 80s Song of the Day thread!), most of those 80s songs I have nostalgic love for, are by artists I either have only one album by (like a greatest hits or something) or none (meaning, I bought those old hits from amazon or iTunes for a buck).  But in the case of Pet Shop Boys, I own, I think, 5 or 6 of their physical CDs (and most of the others on mp3).  That is by far the most music I have by any artist that would be described as synth pop, electronic, or dance.

I never was into the synth of the 80's but I di appreciate their pop sensibilities.

I've got a handful of bands/albums from my teenage years that would defy what I listen to now...

Mr. Mister - Welcome to the Real World
Prince & the Revolution - Purple Rain
Gowan - Great Dirty World, and Strange Animal

More recently, No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom would probably fit the bill.  Love that album.

Oh, and being a good Canadian, I love me my Shania.

And everyone should have Abba!

There are some older (American Idol) albums in my library I had originally for iPod listening in the car for the kids that I don't mind... Adam Lambert, David Cook, Bo Bice, Carrie Underwood.

I love Mr. Mister and Prince when he wants to can tear it up on guitar.  I do own a greatest hits that I took the songs I love on my I-pod.

Tragic Kingdom is a fantastic album and I was lucky enough to see them on that tour with Weezer.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2014, 11:12:48 AM »
Pet Shop Boys

I have to confess - I was never a PSB fan aside from owning "Very" on CD - as much for the fancy packaging as the songs.

I was always an Erasure fan. I found Vince's synth sounds and Andy's voice much more palatable.

If we're talking about bands and albums  that had a huge affect on me - i'd have to say :

• REM - Out of Time / Automatic For The People
• Therapy ? - Troublegum
• Green Day - Dookie / Nimrod.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2014, 11:25:47 AM »
Michael Jackson probably. His music is so much different than everything else I listen to. Also, CéU would be another for the same reason (she's amazing. HIGHLY recommend). Not to mention the classical music I periodically listen to.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:31:47 AM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2014, 11:33:27 AM »
Serious answer = Macklemore
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2014, 11:54:30 AM »
Pet Shop Boys

I never was into the synth of the 80's but I di appreciate their pop sensibilities.

I was actually never that big a fan of West End Girls, even back in the 80s when I was knee deep in 80s music 24/7 :lol, but I loved What Have I Done to Deserve This?, and I didn't really dig deep into PSB catalogue at all until the last five years.  I was shocked when I discovered how many good songs they have.  Who knew?! :lol :lol

I was always an Erasure fan. I found Vince's synth sounds and Andy's voice much more palatable.

I was never able to really get into their stuff, aside from the first five songs from The Innocents, all of which are ace pop tunes.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2014, 12:44:41 PM »
Janelle Monae, she has some great music and concepts.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2014, 01:00:15 PM »
Eminim.....really can't listen to Rap/Hip Hop  but for whatever reason alot of his lyrics click with me
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2014, 01:07:41 PM »
I think my catalog defies my catalog. I've got just about everything from classical, ragtime, django-jazz, metal, pop, new age, punk, etc, etc. It's all over the place. I probably have very little modern pop because I dont think very many newer artists that fit that definition are very talented. But I love music. Not much into rap, but I'm open to just about anythng if it's good music.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:14:29 PM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2014, 01:09:29 PM »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2014, 01:19:26 PM »
a couple I guess

Alabama
Beastie Boys

I have multiple albums/artists for pretty much all the other genres I listen to.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Xersiz

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2014, 03:07:29 PM »
Spock's Beard probably, they have their heavy times which i love with Dream Theater,Haken and such,they have their ballady,pop times which i love with genesis 2.0 or really proggy times where it fills its spot with genesis or yes or king crimson or rush or like any other prog band in 70s,SB is just great

Offline jsem

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2014, 03:11:29 PM »
Spock's Beard probably, they have their heavy times which i love with Dream Theater,Haken and such,they have their ballady,pop times which i love with genesis 2.0 or really proggy times where it fills its spot with genesis or yes or king crimson or rush or like any other prog band in 70s,SB is just great
Defies, not defines.

Offline Xersiz

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2014, 03:13:50 PM »
oh...gotta renew my glasses than  ;D :P :P

Offline jsem

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2014, 03:57:21 PM »
:lol

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2014, 04:08:14 PM »
Maybe Dave Matthews Band and Radiohead. Most everything else I have is either prog, jazz, or film score.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2014, 04:50:20 PM »
letlive.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2014, 06:14:31 PM »
Eminim.....really can't listen to Rap/Hip Hop  but for whatever reason alot of his lyrics click with me

I can understand that, seeing that he is probably the best lyricist hip hop has ever seen. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2014, 06:24:51 PM »
Probably there was a mix up at the Post Office or sumthin.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
Defies, not defines.

I think several people made that mistake.

The one that always throws people through a loop after they learn I'm a metal head is that I love Ben Folds & Ben Folds Five.  Neither prog nor metal, but all kinds of awesome.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2014, 08:09:46 PM »
I simply read it as 'defines'...the difference in definition is pretty obvious but it's an easy typo to make considering it's one letter off and if the brain thinks it's there...it puts it there. Re-read my post and I got it right but...that's funny; that kinda shit gets me every time. SURE BRAIN, JUST READ WHAT ISN'T THERE.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2014, 06:24:16 PM »
Going through my list I would have to put down Linkin Park. I don't usually listen to rap-metal but for them I made an exception.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2014, 06:28:17 PM »
D e f i e s ....

In that case my first post still kinda stands.

I like Slipknot and Metallica but I also have a Mark Knopfler CD and some Erasure and Dodgy ( folksy indie rock ).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2014, 06:29:15 PM »

I was never able to really get into their stuff, aside from the first five songs from The Innocents, all of which are ace pop tunes.

My fave three albums are :

1.Chorus
2.NightBird
3.I Say, I Say, I Say...

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2014, 06:33:41 PM »
I also read it as defined at first, but after reading people's posts I eventually figured it out. Weird that so many people could read it another way.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2014, 06:49:03 PM »
Oh wait....oh fuck, so you mean...it was MEANT to be defies!? My mind was just blown. I thought it was a typo...ohhhhh SHIT! THE SMOKE MONSTER ISN'T REAL!

Damn.

Welp. I feel like my brain has been raped. That is fucking hilarious.  :rollin :lol

Hrrrmm...in that case... the closest thing that would 'defy' all the other shit I have is Counting Crows. Considering that I absolutely, vehemently abhor anything even remotely country, and they seem to have a bit of a country-sound at times (though I would definitely not call them country as a genre, while defining the band), that's probably it. Other than that, there's really nothing that stands out as weird or 'defies' my catalog because it's pretty damn diverse, from progressive-death-metal to old-school hip/hop, literally the only genre I don't listen to is country and I never will.

Wow man...I'm still laughing over that. I cannot believe that shit. It's like someone told me my hair is actually blonde.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2014, 08:11:16 PM »
You are all my bitches now. :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2014, 08:00:16 PM »
I generally don't limit myself if I like it...

I don't know.

Slim Whitman?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2014, 08:11:39 PM »
Get out!  Now I want to know if you have any Zamfir?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2014, 09:03:49 PM »
Get out!  Now I want to know if you have any Zamfir?

No Zamfir, but does my "The Beatles On Panpipes" CD qualify?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2014, 06:52:53 PM »
 :lol

It sure does!

Offline MS394

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2014, 01:59:09 AM »
How about some Carpenters. Great songwriting and Karen Carpenter had a unique voice IMO.