Author Topic: Is there one band that defies your music catalog?  (Read 5699 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Is there one band that defies your music catalog?
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
Don't forget the Jeff Beck album, Flash, as well.  People Get Ready, which features Rod Stewart on vocals, is probably Beck's most well-known song. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2014, 12:14:28 PM »
Need to add Lilly Allen :heart
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2014, 06:09:49 PM »
I have no norm.

There are some things I listen to less than other stuff, but I have no general norm.

Nowadays, when people ask me what type of music I listen to, IDK what to say. I don't want to say cheesy stuff like "Oh, I can listen to anything" because I don't want to be associated with others who make such replies but don't actually have very varied tastes (IMO). I tend to list my main listening interests over the last few years though instead of saying that I like everything.

Agreed 100%

I've got season tickets to the opera and a ticket to my first Dream Theater concert.

Currently shuffling:  Bootsy Collins,  Gustav Mahler, Brand New Heavies, Chicago, B-52s, Wagner, Heart, Mary Jane Girls, John Coltrane, Out of Africa soundtrack, Pink Floyd, Dariush, Haken and Eric Clapton.

It's all good!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 01:27:57 PM by sueño »
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2014, 02:31:49 PM »
I would say my two Rod Stewart albums. I got a best of and his unplugged. What can I say, I dig the guy. Handbags and Gladrags is one of my all time favorite songs.

Unplugged and seated is AWESOME.  The only Rod album I have.  My favorite unplugged album... ahead of Five Man Acoustical Jam.

:comeatme:

Yeah... we just gotta differ on that one bro.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2014, 06:39:04 AM »
Justice, the French electronic music duo.

The vast majority of stuff I listen to falls within two camps: 'prog/rock/metal', and 'classical'. But I've been listening to Justice since around 2008 pretty heavily (despite their having only two studio and one live album!) and they're not really much like anything else I'm into. I mean, I love Daft Punk's Discovery as much as the next person but I'd say Justice are in my top 15/20 artists. I think what I love the most about them is their percussion/rhythms/drums/groove and I seem to be more into the drums in most of the stuff I listen to than any other instrument (I'm always stopping people mid-conversation to tell them to listen to this fill or whatever), possibly because they're where the time signatures live, and I love a good groove... and Justice have that in spades.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2014, 06:44:39 AM »
I listen to German rap. That should suffice for this thread :lol

Must have link! :lol

I love this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD0A2plMSVA
I don't know about the rest of the world, but 'Haus am See' was HUGE in the Netherlands.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2014, 07:01:50 PM »
Definitely CHVRCHES.

So good.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2014, 07:30:09 PM »
Probably going with K.I.Z., if anyone knows them.

If no-one knows, I'm still going with them. :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2014, 02:40:36 AM »
I guess for me, the closest to a defiance is probably Dutch Uncles, but then it could equally be Ahn Trio... or Tricot... or Tunng... Or Merzbow.

I guess I have a lot of stuff which just sits in the "not quite like anything else I have" zone.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2014, 05:10:05 AM »
Definitely CHVRCHES.

So good.
That and Grimes.
(My personal text probably says enough about CHVRCHES.)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2014, 08:32:58 AM »
Out in my rightfield?  Would have to be Barbara Streisand.  One of the, if not the greatest female vocalists of all time for me.  Love me some Babs!  She's definitely on the outside looking in at my discography.  :lol