Author Topic: 2014-01-23 - Gran Teatro Geox - Padua, ITA  (Read 4539 times)

Offline Awake77

2014-01-23 - Gran Teatro Geox - Padua, ITA
« on: January 25, 2014, 03:42:28 AM »
Hi everyone,
I created this thread as I attended the concert and I wanted to give you my impressions.
Nothing really new in terms of information, but just the confirmation of what was been said on the Italian shows!
The setlist was of course the same, luckily everything went smoothly and no songs were dropped.
The venue is not very big but it was quite full of people, the atmosphere was very good and there was a great interaction between the band and the audience. James asked us many times to join him and a couple of times left the audience to sing alone, parts of BAI and FF.

Some random thoughts (of neat disorder…)

- TSF: it's one of my least favorite DT songs, but it worked great live, especially the strong beginning and the build up. The sound was a bit muddy at times, but this was true for the first 3-4 songs and then it got better. All in all it's a good choice to give a taste of the 12 steps suite.
- EM: it was another highlight for me, the playing was great, the visuals entertaining, the audience was singing along to some of the parts (not bad considering it's an instrumental…) and the interplay between MM and the audience during his solo was great
- BAI and OTBOA: I had seen them live two years ago, but I really enjoyed this performance, very tight and strong
- the Awake songs: Awake is my favorite album, especially the second part, so hearing it altogether was incredible, in the middle of Scarred I was in total bliss. Most of it was due to James nailing every part and getting really close to his delivery on the album!
- SDV: I love the song, but I was skeptical about the live performance. I was wrong! I think it's great that they stayed loyal to the original version for the first part but decided to give new strength to the final part. The heavier arrangement and raised vocals really worked well for me.
- IT: A great song and a really great live experience. There's not much more to say that hasn't been said!
- Jordan: he was very active, inviting the audience to participate when he was not playing, and entertaining when he was soloing with the keytar in front of us.

But the real highlight of the show for me was James. He was absolutely incredible, I was speechless to hear his delivery, so great even in the most demanding songs. I was expecting some problems since the concert was the 4th in a row, but he proved stronger than ever. He didn't sing the F on IT, preferring to slightly alter the melody, but on all other parts he impeccably sang the original lines even adding a few more high notes. And the high notes sounded good, precise and strong.
I think all of you who are going to hear him in the next days are in for a treat!

Last note: the video during the intermission was worth the admission ticket alone!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: 2014-01-23 - Gran Teatro Geox - Padua, ITA
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 03:56:24 AM »
Really glad to hear that! I was in Florence and the show was a marvellous experience! It's very nice to hear that the band is managing to keep the performance level this high with such a consistency.   :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 04:11:03 AM »
Can I just say that from the videos I've seen on Youtube, the Italian shows all had awesome audiences! :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 04:34:05 AM »
Really glad to hear that! I was in Florence and the show was a marvellous experience! It's very nice to hear that the band is managing to keep the performance level this high with such a consistency.   :tup

All of this. Thank you for the great recap, Awake77!!!

Also:

Can I just say that from the videos I've seen on Youtube, the Italian shows all had awesome audiences! :tup

You can say it LOUD Blob!!!!!!!!!!!!! =DDD

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 04:42:04 AM »

About time for a Live DVD in Italy, maybe?  :tup
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 04:43:31 AM »

Well it looks like Boston will probably get that honour this tour, but from what I've seen, I'd be happy with an Italy live DVD!

Not as happy as with an Australian one of course. :biggrin:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 08:18:27 AM »
Yes, clearly not for thid time. But they would have to choose a better venue. Those they have been so far have never been famous for their good acoustic.
- Marco

Offline Awake77

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 08:24:25 AM »
A DVD Live in Italy would be great and a great tribute to Italian fans! Many times during the night James has said that every time they come to Italy, they know the audience will be very supportive and sing along with him.
Moreover, Italy is constantly among the countries where their new albums chart the highest, so it would make sense.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 08:53:21 AM »
I wish DT would play more than one show per tour in Finland as well :sadpanda:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 08:55:05 AM »

Too cold to stay there any longer.
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 09:13:01 AM »
Too cold to stay there any longer.
That doesn't explain why they play 2 shows in Russia :P

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 01:39:28 PM »
They should also do a DVD in Italy because Petrucci and Mangini are italoamerican  :biggrin: But I think they have to do a DVD in Canada first.

Well it looks like Boston will probably get that honour this tour, but from what I've seen, I'd be happy with an Italy live DVD!

Not as happy as with an Australian one of course. :biggrin:

Is it confirmed it is going to be a proper DVD? I haven't heard a word about it. For what we know, we could be getting an official bootleg.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 03:29:30 PM »
It's gonna be an official release.

I'm 95% sure.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 09:48:53 PM »
Is it confirmed it is going to be a proper DVD? I haven't heard a word about it. For what we know, we could be getting an official bootleg.

Nothing confirmed that I'm aware of, so for now that's just an assumption. Petrucci did mention in an interview that there would be a DVD of this tour, and I don't think they'd get a string section and choir and not release that officially, as it will probably be the definitive show of the tour.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 03:43:48 AM »
Is this video from this gig?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTEREgVgxAU

Awesome IT performance!

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 05:20:10 AM »

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 06:32:28 PM »

Nothing confirmed that I'm aware of, so for now that's just an assumption. Petrucci did mention in an interview that there would be a DVD of this tour, and I don't think they'd get a string section and choir and not release that officially, as it will probably be the definitive show of the tour.

Yup, I read that one, but I think that while the occasion seems proper for recording a DVD, it's weird that they didn't state or from the very beginning, considering they did say that the show will be recorded.  I hope it's recorded on that night because I'd love to see that special occasion in a fulfilling release, but I'd still wait for it to be absolutely confirmed,  because the guys have stated  wanting to record DVDs in other places (Montreal comes to mind first) and they could just release the Boston show as a bootleg and give some other show the nod.  Again, I'd like it to be on the Boston show.