Author Topic: Disney park geeks--I need your help!  (Read 11724 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: Disney park geeks--I need your help!
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2016, 01:27:39 AM »
Bosk! I should be working on the Disneyland segments for the ABC Christmas Special around the time you will come visit. Would be cool to meet you in person.

My favorite hotel on property is the Disneyland Hotel. The rooms are really nice, and has a cool special effect on the headboards, and it evokes nostalgia of classic 1950s Disney.

A few hotels to look at that are non-Disney and are walking distance that I recommend are the Anaheim Plaza, Red Lion, and Hotel Indigo. I have had friends that stayed in those, and didn't have any problems.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2016, 12:07:48 PM »
I'd love to meet up.  I will PM you our dates. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2016, 06:29:31 PM »
Anything in particular that you guys liked, especially things that are not obvious or are off the beaten path?

We were only there for 3 days. We never really got off the beaten path. Was pleasantly surprised how reasonable the lines were. My family loved the California Screamin'. And Cars Land was a huge hit.
I think my wife loved the overall quaintness of the parks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2016, 12:46:49 AM »
Sister worked at Disney World, and is going back after she graduates college this year. What do you need to know?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2016, 09:05:54 PM »
Sister worked at Disney World, and is going back after she graduates college this year. What do you need to know?
There isn't anything specific.  I've been there many times.  Just always looking for new things to learn.  I know people experience the parks many ways, and that there is a lot to dig into. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline oh8wrx

• The Sassy Lass from Sassafrass
  • I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2016, 04:08:29 PM »
Heading to Disneyland tomorrow and saw Splash Mountain is closed... what the hell! I swear that ride is always closed. I went earlier this year (Feb) and it was closed then too. Any ideas why?
Beer: the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2016, 04:11:26 PM »
Not sure.  I have been pretty lucky all the times I have gone and not really had to deal with many closures.

Offline Cable

---

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2017, 05:17:57 PM »
Just saw an article saying that Disney is planning to implement a new gondola transportation system.  That's cool.  Good idea to re-incorporate something like this (they used to have similar systems).  Then I took a closer look at the picture in the article, and it made me laugh.  I mean, if it is something that is in the works, obviously the picture in the article couldn't be of the new version.  My immediate assumption was that it was probably a picture of the old one they used to have at Disneyland (or one of the other Disney parks).  But then I noticed an obvious tell that it isn't--in fact, it isn't from a Disney park at all.  I know this because I know EXACTLY where it is from.  Anyone else know?

https://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/New-Gondola-System-Disney-World-43447923

(and no fair reading the comments if someone happens to post where the pic is from!)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2017, 08:39:09 PM »
My ex's daughter was down there with her family a couple of weeks ago and ran into a certain Disney fan. This isn't the first or second time I've known him to be there.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2017, 12:22:08 AM »

(and no fair reading the comments if someone happens to post where the pic is from!)

I'm going to throw this out there and say LEGOLAND perhaps?? Although there isn't one in Legoland Florida....

Lots to consider here, especially with the thunderstorms Florida is known to have, especially in the summer to the beginning of Fall....August and September is Hurricane season. However, if they can safely pull this off, it's going to be rad. WDW has mastered transportation in a resort that is twice the size of Manhattan. Not only would having Gondolas be fun, it would be efficient transportation.

My ex's daughter was down there with her family a couple of weeks ago and ran into a certain Disney fan. This isn't the first or second time I've known him to be there.

I believe I posted about in 2008, but when I worked at The Great Movie Ride at Disney's Hollywood Studios, he was in the second row of my vehicle, and I somehow managed to make an off mic joke to about In The Presence of Enemies in the Gangster Genre scene area  :lol. It was a lame joke, and he chuckled and knew I was a DT fan. He also did not have a Guest Relations Tour Guide with him, which many celebrities or people with money take advantage of.

EDIT: I find it very amusing he's enjoying a Mickey Pretzel. I don't know why. I just makes me smile lol
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:27:17 AM by Accelerando »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2017, 04:01:58 AM »

I believe I posted about in 2008, but when I worked at The Great Movie Ride at Disney's Hollywood Studios, he was in the second row of my vehicle, and I somehow managed to make an off mic joke to about In The Presence of Enemies in the Gangster Genre scene area  :lol. It was a lame joke, and he chuckled and knew I was a DT fan. He also did not have a Guest Relations Tour Guide with him, which many celebrities or people with money take advantage of.

EDIT: I find it very amusing he's enjoying a Mickey Pretzel. I don't know why. I just makes me smile lol

Same here. I joked with her because every time we all used to go to Great Adventure, it was tradition for me to get a pretzel to get my salt fix. :lol

That's awesome that you saw him there. It must have been quite an experience working there. My best friend's parents worked there for a while. His father worked security and had lots of great stories.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2017, 05:37:42 PM »
Of the dozens of times I've been to Disney World, I ALWAYS had my eyes peeled for any of the DT guys! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2017, 05:57:54 AM »

I kind of like Bob Weir with the grey; the dye job doesn't do him justice.   

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2017, 10:15:50 AM »
What is that he's wearing on his left wrist?

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2017, 11:31:45 AM »
What is that he's wearing on his left wrist?
Disney Magic Band

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2017, 12:46:22 PM »
I have a house literally 5 minutes from Disney. I have seen Mr. Petrucci there a few times.
and yes a Magic Band on his wrist'basically u don't have to carry cash whatsoever. Just swipe ur wrist to pay for anything at the Resorts
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:59:50 PM by The Trooper »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2017, 01:41:27 PM »
Just saw an article saying that Disney is planning to implement a new gondola transportation system.  That's cool.  Good idea to re-incorporate something like this (they used to have similar systems).  Then I took a closer look at the picture in the article, and it made me laugh.  I mean, if it is something that is in the works, obviously the picture in the article couldn't be of the new version.  My immediate assumption was that it was probably a picture of the old one they used to have at Disneyland (or one of the other Disney parks).  But then I noticed an obvious tell that it isn't--in fact, it isn't from a Disney park at all.  I know this because I know EXACTLY where it is from.  Anyone else know?

We used to have one of those things at our local amusement park. It was a nice way to chill. It would take you to the end of the place and back to the pick up point. Its a small place but it is fun too...

They got rid of it though, which sucks, but what can you do.

That place is called Cliffs Amusement Park in Albuquerque.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2017, 02:09:33 PM »
Yeah, a lot of places used to have them.  The one Disneyland used to have was a lot like the one in the picture.  It went right through the center of the Matterhorn. 

That picture is actually from Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (which is the setting for much of the movie, The Lost Boys).  The giveaway is the cavewoman in one of the gondola cars.  They have a few of the "Santa Cruz cavepeople" in a few of the cars.  They still have it just like that today.  I had a lot of fun times on those as a kid.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2017, 05:15:37 PM »
Of course it is! That Caveman kinda looked like a Lego figure. I have yet to visit Santa Cruz since I made my way to the Golden State.he refurb =

Bosk, did you notice the crashed Skyway cars the Imagineers added to the Matterhorn when they did the refurb in 2015?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2017, 08:28:51 AM »
Before this last visit, it had been awhile since I road the Matterhorn, so there were a lot of things that were new.  I did not notice the crashed skyway cars, but having passes that need to get used, I know we will be back, so I will be on the lookout for them.  That's a really fun and cool touch to add.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:42:36 AM by bosk1 »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2017, 08:31:48 AM »
I've got plane tickets and 7 nights at a hotel booked. Can't effing wait!

:heart :heart

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2017, 09:27:30 AM »
All that just to see Yes?

(That looks a lot like their stage set for the "Tales From Topographic Oceans" tour). 

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2017, 09:37:30 AM »
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:45:53 AM by TheSilentHam »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2017, 10:07:40 AM »
Hammy,

Whatever picture you're trying to show us is located on a secured server. The image doesn't show on the board and if I copy the image address into a different address box, it asks for my username and password.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2017, 04:27:15 PM »
Hammy,

Whatever picture you're trying to show us is located on a secured server. The image doesn't show on the board and if I copy the image address into a different address box, it asks for my username and password.

THanks man, will try to fix it

Offline Cable

« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2017, 06:57:26 PM »

(That looks a lot like their stage set for the "Tales From Topographic Oceans" tour).

:lol :tup
---

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2017, 07:07:02 PM »

..or Whoopi.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2017, 03:34:16 AM »

:lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2018, 06:55:36 AM »
Bump

The GF and I booked our flight hotels and rental for a 7 day journey around Florida at the end of May (over the course of Memorial Day weekend).  Going in/out of Jacksonville (where my parents now live) and then spending two nights in Orlando before we head down to South Beach Miami.  So we will have two full days (will make the 2 hour drive from Jacksonville on a Wednesday morning so hoping to arrive when the parks open regardless).

Our plans for these two days are not set in stone, but we booked a hotel that's on Disney's property so there's access from the hotel to the Disney Parks.  However, our thought was for the first day to do Universal Studios, then the Thursday do the Magic Kingdom during the day and head over to Epcot later in the afternoon/evening until close.  I haven't been to Disney World in like 15 years or so when I was a kid.  I'm sure there's been so many changes that what I remember is not going to mean much.  So do my tentative plans sound alright?  Can I hit those three parks in two days?  Should we do something else in stead?  Best rides?  (I'm not a roller coaster person actually, but I did enjoy Space Mountain as a kid (which I understand is hardly a coaster, but just to gauge my thrill level))  Any other suggestions?   Is there any way to get discount Disney tickets?  Damn I never realized how expensive it is to do more than one park!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2018, 06:59:18 AM »
Bump

The GF and I booked our flight hotels and rental for a 7 day journey around Florida at the end of May (over the course of Memorial Day weekend).  Going in/out of Jacksonville (where my parents now live) and then spending two nights in Orlando before we head down to South Beach Miami.  So we will have two full days (will make the 2 hour drive from Jacksonville on a Wednesday morning so hoping to arrive when the parks open regardless).

Our plans for these two days are not set in stone, but we booked a hotel that's on Disney's property so there's access from the hotel to the Disney Parks.  However, our thought was for the first day to do Universal Studios, then the Thursday do the Magic Kingdom during the day and head over to Epcot later in the afternoon/evening until close.  I haven't been to Disney World in like 15 years or so when I was a kid.  I'm sure there's been so many changes that what I remember is not going to mean much.  So do my tentative plans sound alright?  Can I hit those three parks in two days?  Should we do something else in stead?  Best rides?  (I'm not a roller coaster person actually, but I did enjoy Space Mountain as a kid (which I understand is hardly a coaster, but just to gauge my thrill level))  Any other suggestions?   Is there any way to get discount Disney tickets?  Damn I never realized how expensive it is to do more than one park!

The best ride on Earth, not just at Disney, is The Flight of Passage at Animal Kingdom. I'm not just saying that as a stupidly huge fan of Avatar. That ride is without question the most awesome experience I've ever had at an amusement park. We went on it 4 times.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 07:10:20 AM by Chino »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2018, 07:04:42 AM »
Expedition Everest, also at Animal Kingdom, is incredible as well.  For me, I don't care for Universal at all.  If I had two days to do theme parks in Orlando, I would make it two days of Disney.  For one day, because Animal Kingdom has shorter hours of operation, I would hit Animal Kingdom, and then pop over to Epcot or Magic Kingdom in the evening.  I haven't seen the Flight of Passage attraction, but it is supposed to be amazing.  I would hit that, Expedition Everest, and the Safari for sure.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2018, 07:09:59 AM »
Expedition everest and the safari were really fun.

We went down like 4 days after the hurricane last September and right after school went back into session. We didn't wait more than 15 minutes for either everest or the safari and the longest we had to wait for Flight of Passage was 80 minutes.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2018, 07:21:03 AM »
Cram, which hotel are you staying at in Disney?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2018, 07:28:58 AM »
Bump

There's this ride at Disney that you have to go on... insane special effects, and music that you'll be hoping you can get on CD from the gift shop.  It's called "It's A Small World".