Author Topic: It's a battle of wills....  (Read 4941 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: It's a battle of wills....
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2014, 01:17:27 PM »
Gary, I don't know how or if this applies to children, but I had a pretty long discussion with my doctor on the topic of multivitamins (I have a couple of deficiencies that are common among people with HepC) and he told me flat out:  Don't waste any more of your money on supplements.

When I asked him why, he referred me to this.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2014, 01:27:16 PM »
That was absolutely the BEST OP that I have ever seen in my time here at DTF!  :lol
Awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2014, 01:46:35 PM »
I remember having these issues and I was such a hard ass. I was much tougher with my step kids because they were my first
and I really regret forcing them to sit there and eat things they didn't like. I eased up with my daughter. Some of the battles of
will lasted for hours. So many ways life could have been better spent. I'll never do this with grandkids.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2014, 02:10:20 PM »
Gary, I don't know how or if this applies to children, but I had a pretty long discussion with my doctor on the topic of multivitamins (I have a couple of deficiencies that are common among people with HepC) and he told me flat out:  Don't waste any more of your money on supplements.

Interesting.  I wonder, though I admittedly have not researched it, how many many many more studies are out there that say otherwise.  I'm sure a zillion studies have been done on the efficacy of vitamins.  Three new studies saying "Nah, don't bother" seems a little odd.  Again, I am speaking from a place of lack of information on the matter, but this just seems odd.  I suppose that a serious prolonged deficiency in certain vitamins and minerals does cause legitimate health concerns (i.e. scurvy from vitamin C deficiency), but they're saying that going the other way and having the full complement of necessary vitamins and minerals doesn't offer any majorly discernible benefits.  Seems counterintuitive.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2014, 03:10:26 PM »

That is interesting. I'm taking that to heart more for myself than anything. It's not like we have them dosed up on non stop Multi vitamins though.....it's your pretty basic 'Flinstone' type kids supplements.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2014, 05:56:09 AM »
i still go through this ( not food) but other things with my 2 oldest boys 19 & 17...whereas they question my authority at all times

bottom line for me is I provide the roof over there head, I pay the bills, I buy the food..you will do as I ask not as you please...

Once they are out in the world on their own than they can live by their rules

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2014, 09:44:14 AM »
They should learn that complaining is bad.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2014, 09:51:13 AM »

But at $9.99 (or less) for a years worth of daily multivitamins, I think the minimal cost is worth even the minimal benefits....especially for those with really poor diets.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline jsem

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2014, 04:34:58 PM »
I would not agree with this. If people did not have the innate ability to complain about circumstances, not a lot of progress would ever be made.

A toddler will scream when its needs are not being met. Without complaining about circumstances by screaming and crying, how would the toddler communicate the will to be fed, or cared for?

i still go through this ( not food) but other things with my 2 oldest boys 19 & 17...whereas they question my authority at all times

bottom line for me is I provide the roof over there head, I pay the bills, I buy the food..you will do as I ask not as you please...

I don't agree with this either. They did not choose to be there, they do not have to choice to go anywhere else and are under your rule involuntarily.

Furthermore, is it so strange that they question parental authority? There are plenty of parents who impose rules on their children, and they do not follow these rules themselves. Sometimes they don't even notice that they are not following the same principles that they are demanding of their children, and children see right through this.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2014, 04:39:10 PM »
Well, if they're technically adults, then it's not involuntary.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2014, 04:40:17 PM »
I reiterate, it's also about helping kids to realize that they aren't the center of the universe, as they typically tend to believe they are:

Plus, when it becomes a matter of a CHILD telling a PARENT what they are going to do....when it's in direct defiance of what the parent has instructed them they will do....you have to make a stand as a parent and make it a point that they understand that they don't call the shots. Especially young children.

Right.  And there's greater value in establishing their place on the totem pole for them.  If you cannot keep order in your own house and make your child understand that they are to respect you as their parent and do as they are asked, then you're going to have an even greater difficulty in getting them to do the same for their teachers, their college professors, their bosses, or anybody else that they'll eventually have to answer to at some point in their lives.  If they understand early on that there's a pecking order and that there aren't a ton of times where they're going to be at the top of it, it will set them up for a better chance of working within social structures going forward (with notable exceptions, i.e. you are not at the bottom of the totem pole under the bully at school, etc.).

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2014, 04:49:15 PM »
I would not agree with this. If people did not have the innate ability to complain about circumstances, not a lot of progress would ever be made.

A toddler will scream when its needs are not being met. Without complaining about circumstances by screaming and crying, how would the toddler communicate the will to be fed, or cared for?

I don't agree with this either. They did not choose to be there, they do not have to choice to go anywhere else and are under your rule involuntarily.

Furthermore, is it so strange that they question parental authority? There are plenty of parents who impose rules on their children, and they do not follow these rules themselves. Sometimes they don't even notice that they are not following the same principles that they are demanding of their children, and children see right through this.

When I mean complaining, I mean "But Mom, whhhyyy do I have to dooo iitttt", and "I don't waaannntt to do the dishes". I guess I mean whining more than complaining. I agree with you on your other point.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin