Author Topic: It's a battle of wills....  (Read 4942 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
It's a battle of wills....
« on: January 23, 2014, 06:24:19 PM »
I'll give him credit, he's put up a better fight than both his older brothers have when they've tested the. "Your not leaving his table until it's gone" fight...we are about an hour and 15 minutes in. I'm undefeated at this point but I think he's getting a second wind, and I've exhausted all tactics that have rendered him and his brothers to submission in he past. As I type this he's chanting 'I'm not going to eat it...I'm not going to eat it..' I've gotta dig deep.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: It's a battle of wills....
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 06:25:15 PM »
Haha... good luck! Reminds me of my boys.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 06:25:44 PM »
I remember being there when I was younger. I think it was a baked bean for me, though. :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
Victory......

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 06:42:58 PM »
Just a question for future reference, for whenever I have kids. And I ask this in all seriousness,

is this scenario about him getting the proper nutrition that he needs or is it about establishing dominance as a parent. Because if it was just about proper nutrition, I would just go with a flavored multi-vitamin or something and avoid the vegetable scenario all together.

and I'll be the first one to admit that I know nothing about parenting, so I'm just curious.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 06:53:59 PM »
A bit of both actually. I have two boys that refuse nightly to touch their veggies and fruits.... It's a constant battle to get them to eat 'good'. My oldest will choose an apple over a Snickers every time. He's always eaten well.

So 'the point' behind these battles is first off 'your' eating the food we put in front of you and second I am your Father and 'you' WILL listen and do as I say. It's not a power trip...it's a responsibility to establish that understanding. Kids can't make decsions for themselves. So they need to understand when their Mom or I imstruct them it is for their benifit. Plus, it does establish that when it comes to a battle of wills....they will not prevail.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 06:55:11 PM »
My mom used to do this to me to the point where I wouldn't leave the table unless I literally stuffed my face full of things I didn't like, and all that because I was "eating too slow". I still dislike those foods, and I haven't got the healthiest relationship with food or eating, just saying.

I know he has to get his nutrition, but the fact is most of us have been avoiding or hating greens until high school or something, so even though it's a reasonable approach, it's really done nothing for my generation, and me in particular. I do eat healthy now, and I'm a vegetarian, but what's going on in my mind during the endless "don't think about eating"/"EAT TOO MUCH OF EVERYTHING" cycles is not nearly as healthy as my diet, and I'd rather have the capability of intuitive eating instead of what I got.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 07:06:16 PM »
Just a question for future reference, for whenever I have kids. And I ask this in all seriousness,

is this scenario about him getting the proper nutrition that he needs or is it about establishing dominance as a parent. Because if it was just about proper nutrition, I would just go with a flavored multi-vitamin or something and avoid the vegetable scenario all together.

and I'll be the first one to admit that I know nothing about parenting, so I'm just curious.

I will add to that....

To me, it's also a matter of respect.    I went through this with my son.   He is now 21, and when he is a guest at someone's home, he always eats what he is given, even if he doesn't particularly care for it.    I raised him that this is showing respect to the person who has given you the meal.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 07:30:26 PM »
Plus, when it becomes a matter of a CHILD telling a PARENT what they are going to do....when it's in direct defiance of what the parent has instructed them they will do....you have to make a stand as a parent and make it a point that they understand that they don't call the shots. Especially young children.

Now, I can envision as my boys grow older and begin to understand things/life etc better that on some of the things I'll ask them to do they may have a perfectly good reason they don't want to or can't. I'd expect that as they begin to reason better and articulate their views and points that the 'my way or the highway' parenting tactic will become less and less effective....but I know I'll never settle for the "reason" of simply not wanting to do something. It'd better be good and convincing for me to reverse course.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 07:55:06 PM »
Just checking in to brag about eating chocolate, nachos, and beer for dinner.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 08:03:17 PM »
Just checking in to brag about eating chocolate, nachos, and beer for dinner.

Now listen here Mr. , you get back over to that table and eat your broccoli......

The toughest part for me is actually having to eat the food I don't like because I need 'lead by example'.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 08:13:53 PM »
You can't find vegetables you like?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 08:26:23 PM »
You can't find vegetables you like?

It's the broccoli and Brussels sprouts I have to power through. Corn, Grren Beans, carrots, califlower....all good there.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 08:40:50 PM »
I'm no nutritionist but I'd imagine a combo of tolerable veggies with kids multivitamins would be perfectly fine for them.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 08:44:39 PM »
Brussels sprouts and broccoli are probably my two favorite veggies to eat as sides.  Need a stand in?  :lol

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 08:57:14 PM »
After a certain age of endurance through foods we didn't like (though I was lucky enough to have parents that actually made good food  ::)), if we didn't like something, we had to make our own food. Obviously this doesn't work with a child who is 5 years old, but I think you should attempt at trying a bunch of foods that the child might like. I still hate green beans to this day. Sweet peas are good for kids, and are generally liked by them. Broccoli depends on how it is cooked, I recommend steaming (not boiling, because mushy broccoli is nasty.), then using some butter and seasoning (Aromat all-purpose works wonders). Let your children snack on baby carrots and fresh broccoli or cauliflower. (the little ones) Bagged lettuce is also really great, especially if it's sweet and crisp (I used to be a glutton with lettuce and carrots.). When it comes to meats, chicken tenderloins, broiled and seasoned (also with aromat) are really great. Rice is really good, and you can do a ton of stuff with rice.

Some ideas  ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:12:39 PM by Lucien »
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 09:04:26 PM »
Good on you, pops. I see too many kids these days parenting the parents. It's pretty fuckin' sad. Plus they're fat little fucks AND brats. Who wouldn't thunk it...

If the world ever has the misfortune of having the devil-spawn of me forced unto the omniverse, it will at LEAST eat healthy and have respect.

...then it will commit the very first humancide. D'awwww! :xbones

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 09:07:06 PM »
Good on you, pops. I see too many kids these days parenting the parents. It's pretty fuckin' sad. Plus they're fat little fucks AND brats. Who wouldn't thunk it...

If the world ever has the misfortune of having the devil-spawn of me forced unto the omniverse, it will at LEAST eat healthy and have respect.

...then it will commit the very first humancide. D'awwww! :xbones

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 09:30:48 PM »
I'm no nutritionist but I'd imagine a combo of tolerable veggies with kids multivitamins would be perfectly fine for them.

We give them multivitamins also. One with dinner every night.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 09:54:41 PM »
If so, then I don't think it's critical to force the issue with specific veggie types. Just give 'em whatever's affordable, healthy, and appealing to them. I was a very obedient, meek child who was a glutton and would eat nearly anything in front of me, veggies included, but it was a horrifying experience every time I had to spend a week by my grandpa's. His pot roast was fucking amazing but a lot of his stuff would literally trigger my gag reflex or come close to it. I hate most of the young kids I see these days and I hate their paents ten times as much for failing so abysmally at parenting so I sincerely commend you on making an effort to avoid contributing your own DNA to this new generation of entitled demon spawns. I just think since taste buds can trigger nausea, your energy would be better spent in other areas as long as they're getting a favorable combos of veg'n'vitamin.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 10:31:26 PM »
The gag reflex (when it comes to food) is really a mental thing.   I had a harsh gag reflex to beer for a VERY long time.   It wasn't until I was probably 25 that I learned to appreciate it as an "acquired taste".    So...to a reasonable degree....I think being firm (but not harsh or demeaning) can be a life lesson all its own.    Sometimes (sometimes not) we learn that things may not turn out as bad as we used to think.

Some things I made my son eat, he ended up loving after years of getting more familiar with it.    Other things....not so much.    But I am proud of him for finding his own "taste" now that he's older.    And I'm also proud of him for being gracious to anyone that may be serving him food. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 10:35:13 PM »
When I was a kid, my parents would sometimes pull the "you can't leave the table until you finish your whole plate, most of your plate, etc." routine, although they oddly have zero recollection of it now :lol, and if it was something like spaghetti, and I was done eating, but I hate to eat more, I'd simply shove a massive amount of it in my mouth and then go heave it into the trash with my excuse being that I took too big of a bite and didn't want to choke on it.  Amazingly, that worked, although I think my parents knew better. :lol :lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 10:37:20 PM »
The gag reflex (when it comes to food) is really a mental thing.

Perhaps for you. Until I was well into my twenties, onions or copious amounts of mayonnaise did it for me every time. You're generalizing your experiences to all others.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 10:41:27 PM »
Any of these food battles I've had with my kids is really less about they need it for nutritional purposes. I mean, look at the pic I posted tonight....I was asking him to eat TWO green beans. The food battles begin when they decide to tell me or their mother THEY ARENT eating it and that they are leaving the table anyway.....when they know the rules are they DO eat it and they ask to be excused.

We don't put the rules in place to be mean or have some power trip to have control over someone....they have to be taught (as jammindude alluded to) respect and that until they are adults they LISTEN to what we say. Period. No questions....they do not have a choice in the matter, especially as young as they are.

A side note is also...thier Mother is in Mexico on a vacation and to be at her sisters destination wedding. This was also about him testing the waters to see if old Daddy was gonna budge on some rules. And, his two older brothers were certainly watching to see if I buckled or not. Ask any parent what happens when you give an inch.....especially when your outnumbered.  :rollin

My boys for the most part are good kiddos who listen and obey but they are also 'kids'....and moments like tonight reinforce my authority and helps remind them that I'm the boss. Even if it's as something as trivial as eating two green beans....had I given up 20 minutes into it when the real sad eyes and crying were going strong he'd have learned there's a weakness out there to be had in future battles.....parenting isn't for cowards I tell ya. Ask any of them out there....you find yourself saying and doing things you never thought you would and worrying and caring about things/emotions/circumstances you never knew existed.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 10:45:47 PM »
^ I'm not a parent, but this is a good post.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 10:50:49 PM »

Perhaps for you. Until I was well into my twenties, onions or copious amounts of mayonnaise did it for me every time. You're generalizing your experiences to all others.

Come on, bf.   Do you really think I'm *THAT* narrow minded?   You don't think I've met several people who have had the same experience?   I did give the caveat of sometimes yes/sometimes no.

You should know me better than that.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 10:53:17 PM »
Brussels sprouts and broccoli are probably my two favorite veggies to eat as sides.  Need a stand in?  :lol

Brussel Sprouts and Broccoli are the shit. I'll join in!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 10:54:04 PM »
Seriously... I honestly believe that anyone is capable of learning to like ANYTHING.    Hell...some people eat monkey brains.   Am I capable of learning to like monkey brains?   Yes...I am.   Do I want to?    Not in a million freakin years.     Learning to like something that disgusting is just not that important to me.    But I am capable.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 10:54:31 PM »

Come on, bf.   Do you really think I'm *THAT* narrow minded?   You don't think I've met several people who have had the same experience?   I did give the caveat of sometimes yes/sometimes no.

You should know me better than that.

You're right. I did steep your earl grey twins like a champ despite your two-day separation from most recent shower :heart

Offline jammindude

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 10:59:51 PM »
ROFL!!!! :heart

On the subject....some people eat, and actually LIKE this crap.   Although, I tend to believe it's more for bragging rights than taste...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 11:00:57 PM »
Seriously... I honestly believe that anyone is capable of learning to like ANYTHING.    Hell...some people eat monkey brains.   Am I capable of learning to like monkey brains?   Yes...I am.   Do I want to?    Not in a million freakin years.     Learning to like something that disgusting is just not that important to me.    But I am capable.

There is no way I could ever or will ever like peanut butter.  It is freaking disgusting.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 11:03:25 PM »
Out of curiosity, do you like peanuts?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 11:03:45 PM »

There is no way I could ever or will ever like peanut butter.  It is freaking disgusting.

IDK....in my mind, I'm capable of learning to like Surströmming...but WHY?   Why would I learn to like ROTTEN FISH?   I guess it's just something with me.   I acknowledge that I absolutely will not...but it's a choice.   I'm capable making a different choice if I want.   I just don't want to.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 11:04:48 PM »
Choosing to eat something is entirely different from choosing to like something.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 11:05:43 PM »
Out of curiosity, do you like peanuts?

Yes.

I think with peanut butter, it is the smell.  I hated the smell as a kid, and as an adult, it is just as bad.