Author Topic: The Official 2013 NFL Thread  (Read 347321 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Official 2013 NFL Thread
« Reply #4655 on: February 21, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »
YOU look stupid that large.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #4656 on: February 21, 2014, 11:09:12 AM »
I grew up with the "creamsicle" uniforms, and I thought they were the most badass uniforms in all of football.   

But then again, I guess I just always liked things that were so very obviously different from "normal"...

You're not the only one who liked them.  I might have felt different though if the Bucs were my team.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4657 on: February 21, 2014, 03:40:36 PM »
This is one crazy story that you SF fans should be pissed at your ownership.  When you read it you'll know what I mean.  Heard about his on the ride home on sports talk in Boston.

https://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/report-browns-almost-traded-for-jim-harbaugh-022114
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #4658 on: February 21, 2014, 03:58:13 PM »
Best part of the story - Browns don't deny it.  Niners call it "completely false."

It's funny when people blatantly lie in public.  Except that it's not.
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4659 on: February 21, 2014, 04:03:39 PM »
???  I'm not seeing what S.F. ownership did that should have fans pissed. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4660 on: February 21, 2014, 04:09:47 PM »
Really?!  Jim Harbaugh, has got this team to 3 NFC Championship games and 1 Superbowl.  Sure that picks would be fine but you don't let a great coach leave so early on this run.  Fans Should be upset.  I just think a coach is that important.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4661 on: February 21, 2014, 04:30:06 PM »
Of course he is.  But where does 49er ownership even enter this picture?  I'm not following you.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4662 on: February 21, 2014, 04:36:58 PM »
Yes I know the GM is the one pulling the trigger but in the end, the ownership has to sign off on it but it was to the point that it was in Harbaugh's hand to leave or not and I personally think that is a BIG mistake that ownership would have taken the heat so the onus is always on the ownership when the blame game happens.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4663 on: February 21, 2014, 04:40:46 PM »
I don't see that anyone signed off on anything.  I think you are reading too much into this.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4664 on: February 21, 2014, 04:42:41 PM »
Not in that piece but Mike Florio, who wrote the original piece was on local sports radio and he said it was in Harbaugh's hands if he wanted to leave. I should have stated that with the link or found the original piece.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4665 on: February 22, 2014, 09:00:30 AM »
Harbaugh is smart to stay in SF.  Even if another team offered him more power and/or more money, why leave the great team you already have? 

Along those lines, I remember being surprised when Mike Holmgren left GB for Seattle, just because they gave him more power.  I've always wondered how different NFL history would be had he stayed in Green Bay, as he was the one coach who could reign Favre in while still allowing him to play free.  It's no coincidence that Favre became more turnover-happy after Holmgren left.  Plus, Holmgren was already a god in Green Bay, but he left more power.  I guess the egos of great coaches often makes them want more.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4666 on: February 22, 2014, 09:20:39 AM »
I get the feeling that this is mostly just a bunch of smoke because Harbaugh is negotiating a new contract.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4667 on: February 22, 2014, 09:29:15 AM »
Harbaugh is smart to stay in SF.  Even if another team offered him more power and/or more money, why leave the great team you already have? 

Along those lines, I remember being surprised when Mike Holmgren left GB for Seattle, just because they gave him more power.  I've always wondered how different NFL history would be had he stayed in Green Bay, as he was the one coach who could reign Favre in while still allowing him to play free.  It's no coincidence that Favre became more turnover-happy after Holmgren left.  Plus, Holmgren was already a god in Green Bay, but he left more power.  I guess the egos of great coaches often makes them want more.

I can imagine it would be an EXTREMELY frustrating situation to be *the coach* of an NFL team (really, the face of the team on the field) and then constantly being told you have to do many things differently than what you think is best for the team. 

So many people out there see the burden of decision as being on the coach...it's his head on the chopping block if the team doesn't win... but if the GM wants something done differently, he can simply pull rank.   And while sports nerds may know better, most people will view those bad decisions as being on the coach's head.     I can't imagine a more maddening scenario.   

I don't know exactly what Holmgren's situation was with upper management, but I can't imagine he would have been tempted by the GM offer unless he felt stifled somehow.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline dparrott

« Reply #4668 on: February 24, 2014, 01:28:02 PM »
The No Fun League now wants to penalize any player who uses the N-word.  Good luck stopping players from using a word that they have probably grown up saying. 

They want to get rid of this racial slur, but not the bigger racial slur that the Washington DC football team uses.....
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #4669 on: February 24, 2014, 01:33:31 PM »
INB4 people actually try and defend Washington's racial slur name.  :\

I mean, yeah it's frustrating they're still doing nothing about the Washington Slurs, but at least they're taking action against another racial slur.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4670 on: February 24, 2014, 01:37:02 PM »
Redskins is NOT a bigger slur than the n-word.  Not saying it isn't a slur, but as bad or worse than the n-word?  Sorry, but no.

As for players saying a word they grew up saying, sorry, but that is no excuse.  I grew up in a neighborhood where the majority of the kids called bottle rockets "n-word chasers," but once I got old enough (early teens), combined with my parents always telling me that that word was wrong to say, I knew better.  In other words, a learned behavior can always be unlearned.  Besides, no one should be using that word, so while I think trying to police it on the field with penalties will be difficult, I think the possible rule comes from a good place.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4671 on: February 24, 2014, 01:53:33 PM »
As for players saying a word they grew up saying, sorry, but that is no excuse.  ...  In other words, a learned behavior can always be unlearned.  Besides, no one should be using that word, so while I think trying to police it on the field with penalties will be difficult, I think the possible rule comes from a good place.

I completely agree with you.  BUT, the biggest issue I see is that I doubt the rule will have the desired effect, simply because I think non-Black players who use it probably fall mainly into two categories:  (1) Those who know better than to use it; or (2) Those who might actually be racist enough to use it, but know better than to use it publicly.  For group 1, it isn't an issue.  For group 2, good luck actually catching them.  The bigger problem is the group of Black players that use it among themselves and don't treat it as a racial slur.  IMO, that is the group most likely to run afoul of the rule.

Washington Slurs

And since that is not relevant and I have already warned people in the thread not to go there, consider this a formal warning.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #4672 on: February 24, 2014, 03:44:18 PM »
The bigger problem is the group of Black players that use it among themselves and don't treat it as a racial slur.  IMO, that is the group most likely to run afoul of the rule.

That was my point.  I wasn't referring to the insulting term, I was referring to the friendly term.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4673 on: February 25, 2014, 10:56:08 AM »
Does anyone else not give two shits about the combine?  I mean, who cares how much these guys can bench press?  Or how fast they can run the 40?  How often do any NFL players in games run 40 yards in a straight line?  Seriously.  Okay, you might see WRs run a few fly patterns a game, but that's about it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4674 on: February 25, 2014, 11:02:54 AM »
I think of myself as a nutty NFL fan but I have never watched a combine or checked in on one ever.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4675 on: February 25, 2014, 11:10:49 AM »
As a fan, I couldn't care less.  But I can see the value for the scouts.  You have to have some current data to be able to rank these guys against each other, and the combine is a data mine. 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #4676 on: February 25, 2014, 11:23:52 AM »
Does anyone else not give two shits about the combine?  I mean, who cares how much these guys can bench press?  Or how fast they can run the 40?  How often do any NFL players in games run 40 yards in a straight line?  Seriously.  Okay, you might see WRs run a few fly patterns a game, but that's about it.

I agree totally.  As far as I can tell, combine performance has no correlation with performance in the league.
Over and over again

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4677 on: February 25, 2014, 11:43:55 AM »

I agree totally.  As far as I can tell, combine performance has no correlation with performance in the league.

I agree too.  In fact, hasn't it been statistically shown that the draft doesn't have much affect on performance in recent years either?  Didn't the number of undrafted free agents reach an all time high this past year for players on teams reaching the post season?  So yeah.....I think coaching is the key in this league.  There is a lot of potential out there that really isn't totally revealed in combine situations.  The combine only really scratches the surface of a player's ability.  The real question is:  Are players coachable or not?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4678 on: February 25, 2014, 11:48:21 AM »
Yeah, I don't nearly love the NFL enough to care about the combine at all.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4679 on: February 25, 2014, 11:52:35 AM »
Yeah, I don't nearly love the NFL enough to care about the combine at all.

Bingo. I don't even follow hockey to that level. Who the hell knows who the Niners or Flyers will end up drafting. I look into those players after it actually happens.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4680 on: February 25, 2014, 11:59:53 AM »
I can certainly see how some of the tests matter. Bench presses would matter for linemen. A WR who couldn't jump 2' off the ground wouldn't be much use. The 40 times seem meaningless, particularly when half the players are within .2 seconds of each other. The cone drill don't seem to make much sense, either.

But in answer to the question, no. Couldn't care less.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4681 on: February 25, 2014, 12:55:58 PM »
Agreed with everyone else. I also don't watch the draft past the first round but I don't follow college ball to know the players well at all. Just interested in what positions my team selects.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #4682 on: February 25, 2014, 04:30:17 PM »
I can certainly see how some of the tests matter. Bench presses would matter for linemen. A WR who couldn't jump 2' off the ground wouldn't be much use. The 40 times seem meaningless, particularly when half the players are within .2 seconds of each other. The cone drill don't seem to make much sense, either.

But in answer to the question, no. Couldn't care less.

It's not unimportant, but it's not nearly as important as actual game play ability.

There's a great moment in the Bengals hard knocks where one of the coaches is showing a reserve defensive lineman how to break through a blocker.  He bodies up the defensive lineman then pushes him away almost instantly like nothing.  He says "I'm old and I still got you."  Your ability to maintain a good stance and use your hands is more important than your raw strength.

With WRs, your ability to catch and make good decisions is more important than your leaping ability.  Wes Welker is short and not very physically imposing, but he knows what he's doing.

The only thing the combines are good for, I suspect, is to show work ethic and coachability.  Someone who shows up and listens to direction/sweats for every inch is useful to a football team, no matter what his numbers.
Over and over again

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #4683 on: February 25, 2014, 05:24:51 PM »
Does the NFL Combine matter?  Two words:  Tony Mandarich.  I'll give you two more words:  Robert Gallery.  :lol

Scouts loved them at the combine, total busts in the NFL.  It's overglorified and overvalued.  And no, I would never bother watching it. :tdwn

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4684 on: February 25, 2014, 05:28:28 PM »
Can I add,  Brian Bosworth &  JaMarcus Russell?! :lol

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #4685 on: February 25, 2014, 05:31:49 PM »
Can I add,  Brian Bosworth &  JaMarcus Russell?! :lol
Yes, you may!  :biggrin:  Those glorified at the Combine who ended up being busts probably grossly outnumber the ones who actually were studs in the NFL.  This could be a long list.....   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4686 on: February 25, 2014, 05:32:48 PM »
I don't dare post Tom Brady's picture and his 40 time. :lol

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #4687 on: February 25, 2014, 05:35:14 PM »
I don't dare post Tom Brady's picture and his 40 time. :lol
:rollin :rollin

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4688 on: February 25, 2014, 08:31:24 PM »
The combine is just another piece of the puzzle. Game film trumps all, but if two players are neck and neck, it can be the deciding factor. Also, the medical tests and interviews are perhaps the most important part of the whole event for teams.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #4689 on: February 25, 2014, 11:06:12 PM »
As a Raiders fan, seeing Russell's name made me cringe. 

Baseball starts tomorrow.  Football is in the rear view mirror until August.