Author Topic: Friday Night Tykes thread (link to episode inside)  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Friday Night Tykes thread (link to episode inside)
« on: January 21, 2014, 08:19:44 PM »
This show fascinates and scares me.  I seriously wonder what the hell I wrong some of the adults and Texas.  I love football, but the level of seriousness, intensity, and pressure they put on the 8 year old kids is over the top.  And some of the parents should be lobotomized for the betterment of society.  This show is a train wreck of humanity and I can't turn away.  Anyone else watch?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:50:02 AM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Friday Night Tykes thread
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 06:49:35 AM »
Never heard of it.  I assume it's on TLC?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 07:32:23 AM »
This show fascinates and scares me.  I seriously wonder what the hell I wrong some of the adults and Texas.  I love football, but the level of seriousness, intensity, and pressure they put on the 8 year old kids is over the top.  And some of the parents should be lobotomized for the betterment of society.  This show is a train wreck of humanity and I can't turn away.  Anyone else watch?

my son played mosquitos (one level up from tykes) for the first time last year. He is a late year baby (december) and is still the biggest of all his friends. But, in football. Oh no. At age 10 5'2 and 120 lbs, he was middle to small on the team. As he was a complete rookie they tried to hide him on the D-Line. Average starting O-Lines he faced usually averaged...AVERGEDED 185lbs.

He told me most games (when he got to play) it was like pushing a firehydrant.

That being said. The coaching. WOW. The commradery the team work. If I knew now what I knew then, this Canadian father would never have put skates on his son. He'd have been playing football from age 5.

It makes better men.
Better humans.
In my opinion.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 07:48:03 AM »
Never heard of it.  I assume it's on TLC?

No, it is on Esquire, which is a new channel so that is why I think most people aren't aware of a show on a channel they aren't aware of.

YBS, have you actually seen the show?  I played football up until my freshman year of college and then got into coaching.  I think football is wonderful for life lessons and is well worth the risk.  But the things they show in the show take things too far: making 8 year olds run until they puke and then making them run more, having message boards that are probably as active as DTF criticizing the coaches and players, radio broadcasts of games, the coaches swearing at kids, and some of the parents behavior.  They are still kids.  It seems like for everything some of the adults do right, they do about three things that just make you go WTF.  They've had some good level headed adults, but they tend to be just the parents and not the coaches.

Here is a preview of the show:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFXpqZzFgy4

Actually, you can watch the show on the channel's website.  First episode: https://tv.esquire.com/videos/70989-friday-night-tykes-episode-1-weakness-leaving-the-body