Author Topic: VOYAGER: Australian Melodic/Prog/Gothic/Metal Band Thread  (Read 22645 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: VOYAGER: Australian Melodic/Prog/Gothic/Metal Band Thread
« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2021, 12:54:56 PM »
I didn't love their latest album, but that song Colours in the Sun is very good.  I do really enjoy that style.  I just felt the album kind of faded as it went along.  Not bad by any means, just didn't keep up with the high level it starts off with.  I should probably listen again, it's been awhile besides some songs coming on random shuffle occassionally.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2021, 04:52:53 AM »
This record has settled in with me now. I completely love it.

I've read the comment from many sources that it fades as it goes along but I don't see it. The penultimate track is slightly less successful than the rest, I think, but not a skipper for me.

The weakest part for me is Einar's guest vocal, funnily enough. Great singer but doesn't quite fit here. I still like the song but if l had a magic wand I'd take him off it.  :)

The combination of lush 80s melodies, keys and Meshuggage is so deftly balanced. And that kind of thing is so hard to get right. Wonderful.

I've not looked at their others really yet as have a few great new releases going on but i sure will in time.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2021, 09:34:13 AM »
Listened to Ghost Mile today. Another excellent album, by the sounds of it!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2021, 09:49:19 AM »
LOVE Ghost Mile!

It's all good, but there are certain tidbits that are just great - like the almost Type O Negative sounding chorus in the middle of the title track (not the first time Voyager tips their hat to Pete Steele's band...they have a tribute of sorts on Meaning of I)...and the closer, "As the City Takes the Night", where the beat under the chorus subtly changes every time, becoming more and more urgent.

Good stuff.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2021, 02:08:10 PM »
Ah, loving those tidbits. Excited about digging into it more.

They're listenable, have complexity, are unique (at least to me so far). Feels like a golden find!

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2021, 04:32:52 AM »
LOVE Ghost Mile!

It's all good, but there are certain tidbits that are just great - like the almost Type O Negative sounding chorus in the middle of the title track (not the first time Voyager tips their hat to Pete Steele's band...they have a tribute of sorts on Meaning of I)...and the closer, "As the City Takes the Night", where the beat under the chorus subtly changes every time, becoming more and more urgent.

Good stuff.

Yes, that last chorus on ATCTTN is absolutely banging. Coming after those lush vocals too.

What I LOVE about this band is that they are DIFFERENT. And that is SO rare.

But what I love most of all, they are putting the SONG and vocals first. The production is really bold and colourful. It's almost a keyboard-equipped metal band playing 80s pop songs but it's not, as it's more metal and djenty than that. But the emotional impact and presentational balance is weighted toward that 80s pop side, which I just adore.

I'm gushing a bit here but those last few tracks of Ghost Mile are still ringing in my head.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2021, 03:35:51 AM »
I've been an off and on listener to Voyager for since around The Meaning of I... just a song here or there, now and then. Suddenly over the course of the last few months Colours In The Sun has just blown my mind... I am infatuated with this album. Incredibly interesting melodies throughout. Have started to go back through their catalogue but I feel like CITS is going to be impossible to top for me. It's just a perfect mix of various elements that I've not run across in many similar bands.  :metal

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #147 on: October 05, 2021, 01:37:06 AM »
+1  :)

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #148 on: October 05, 2021, 09:08:26 AM »
I love Ghost Mile as much now. I'm daily listening to one, the other,  or both at the mo. :)

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #149 on: October 05, 2021, 10:45:50 AM »
Ghost Mile is ma favourite of theirs.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2021, 12:25:51 AM »
My Spotify 2021 summary had Voyager as my 3rd most listened band (under Survivor and Chvrches  ;D ).

A quick check of their Twitter page today shows them as 'In the studio.'  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: January 20, 2022, 09:54:09 AM »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #152 on: January 20, 2022, 10:49:34 AM »
Very cool! It says it's their entry for Eurovision - I didn't even know they were going to do that.

Anyway, super-catchy tune, I like it.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2022, 11:40:47 AM »
I should absolutely love this band, but I don’t.

All the ingredients are there but it just doesn’t click for me and I can’t pinpoint as to why.

I’m glad others can enjoy it though.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2022, 04:25:41 PM »
I love this band's last 2 albums. Looking forward to cranking that tomorrow!

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #155 on: January 21, 2022, 05:10:54 AM »
It's good. Hope they get chosen.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2022, 08:07:31 AM »
When is the new album coming out?

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #157 on: April 12, 2022, 06:35:47 AM »
You mean we’ve had a Voyager thread this whole time and I didn’t know?
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2022, 12:07:50 PM »
New single, Submarine. First listen impression: great.  :tup

https://youtu.be/BWrcdYp7W-0

Offline romdrums

« Reply #159 on: July 14, 2022, 12:43:53 PM »

:metal :lol :metal
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #160 on: July 14, 2022, 07:17:04 PM »

Liked the song very much, on first listen...what's with the bass player "reveal"?  :lol Is that him singing that part? Sounds like he could be Devin Townsend's younger brother!

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #161 on: July 18, 2022, 01:43:15 PM »
I've only just watched the video. Listened on Spotify before. Interesting. Assumed that part was Daniel pushing the boat out but no!

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #162 on: July 18, 2022, 08:30:24 PM »

Liked the song very much, on first listen...what's with the bass player "reveal"?  :lol Is that him singing that part? Sounds like he could be Devin Townsend's younger brother!

Yes, that’s Alex singing. He’s had a lot of the real strong vocal parts over the years since V.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #163 on: July 19, 2022, 02:18:23 AM »
As much as I dug Dreamer I was a little concerned our home lads were going to deliver an album worth of 'em but Submarine has confirmed they're still the old Voyager ;)  I Am The ReVolution remains my personal fave but they're all cool.

Think they have a live album due next month so not sure if a new studio album is due also but Submarine would suggest so!?

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2022, 03:33:02 AM »
Think they have a live album due next month so not sure if a new studio album is due also but Submarine would suggest so!?

The eighth Voyager album finished mastering at the end of June, I believe. However, I was talking to their drummer and visual artist, Ash Doodkorte, a while before that and he indicated the final release of the album may not be until early next year due to slow production of CDs and Vinyl. As it is, the live album was originally streamed last year and then “being worked on” for ages, which could’ve been Ash tinkering a lot with the artwork, or remastering the audio and visual stuff (including the old music videos that are included on the Blu-Ray) but also could’ve been code for “vinyl takes ages, we’ll announce something when we’re close to having product to sell”.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2022, 05:30:23 AM »

Yes, that’s Alex singing. He’s had a lot of the real strong vocal parts over the years since V.

Ha! I didn't know that...thanks for the info  :tup

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2022, 03:03:54 PM »
Same here. Ta.

I only really listen to the last two albums (not sure why). What album should I go to while waiting for the new one?

Offline nick_z

« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2022, 04:34:56 PM »
Same here. Ta.

I only really listen to the last two albums (not sure why). What album should I go to while waiting for the new one?

The Meaning of I is a personal favorite of mine. Absolutely brilliant.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2022, 06:56:14 PM »
Same here. Ta.

The two before that, Meaning of I and V

Offline nick_z

« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2022, 07:30:48 PM »

The eighth Voyager album finished mastering at the end of June, I believe. However, I was talking to their drummer and visual artist, Ash Doodkorte, a while before that and he indicated the final release of the album may not be until early next year due to slow production of CDs and Vinyl. As it is, the live album was originally streamed last year and then “being worked on” for ages, which could’ve been Ash tinkering a lot with the artwork, or remastering the audio and visual stuff (including the old music videos that are included on the Blu-Ray) but also could’ve been code for “vinyl takes ages, we’ll announce something when we’re close to having product to sell”.

I take it you are close to the band? They were one super-cool discovery from the last few years, as far as I'm concerned.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #170 on: July 20, 2022, 11:48:10 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

V is on right now and loving it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 01:25:39 PM by DoctorAction »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: July 20, 2022, 02:54:55 PM »

They are making a live album out of the live stream they did last year?  That's of no interest to me sadly.  I watched it, it was fine and all, but I would much rather a live album of an in person concert, not something I already paid and watched and is on youtube for free now. 

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #172 on: July 20, 2022, 05:36:20 PM »

I take it you are close to the band? They were one super-cool discovery from the last few years, as far as I'm concerned.

Relatively, yes. Living in the same city, in the same music circles and I’m in their Patreon as well. All DEFINITELY helps.

And I’ve got their drummer doing my EP Artwork.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #173 on: July 21, 2022, 01:20:44 AM »
I'm in the Voyager Patreon as well! Well worth the money, especially if you use Discord. Deadeye, I just realized why your name rang a bell to me lmao

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #174 on: July 21, 2022, 04:16:31 AM »
I'm in the Voyager Patreon as well! Well worth the money, especially if you use Discord. Deadeye, I just realized why your name rang a bell to me lmao

Wait… you’re in there too? Who are you over there?