Author Topic: VOYAGER: Australian Melodic/Prog/Gothic/Metal Band Thread  (Read 22598 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: VOYAGER: Australian Melodic/Prog/Gothic/Metal Band Thread
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2019, 04:35:34 PM »
I think it's something about this band that just doesn't click on first listen.  A few people have commented about that before with other albums and I know when I first gave them a listen, I wasn't into it at all and it slowly grew on me until they finally really won me over with their live show.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2019, 11:57:07 AM »
Ghost Mile clicked with me immediately, Colours however is a slower burn.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2019, 08:23:12 AM »
The album arrived yesterday and I've been listening all morning.  So far, so good!  By the way, I didn't realize Daniel Estrin is a lawyer  Check this out: https://estrinsaul.com.au/staff/daniel-estrin/
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2019, 08:54:07 AM »
Oh got his number now, should give him a call  :lol

That's actually really cool

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2019, 07:52:56 PM »
Just was watching this, timestamped for awesomeness https://youtu.be/qOK5_h1x9CI?t=142

Offline Lethean

« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2019, 10:04:19 PM »
Their whole set is on youtube (or at least it was) and it's awesome.   

Colours is a great album.  It look a bit of time to sink in, and it's still growing.  I'd love for them to bring it to the US and tour some of the new songs.

Daniel is an immigration attorney I believe.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2019, 05:54:38 AM »
The album is quite a grower. Wasn't impressed initially but now I keep coming back to it.  :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2019, 07:20:36 AM »
I think it's something about this band that just doesn't click on first listen.  A few people have commented about that before with other albums and I know when I first gave them a listen, I wasn't into it at all and it slowly grew on me until they finally really won me over with their live show.

I mentioned this to Scott on the interview I did with him last Saturday (it's yet to be published). He said he feels the same about the new album - he was actually worried because he himself didn't connect with the album on the first listen, and it's not a good feeling when you're the one who created it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2019, 07:33:53 AM »
A great album. Ghost Mile is a little bit too serious for me, the fun vibes of Voyager are much better preserved on this Colors.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2020, 04:39:30 PM »
Finally decided to check this out.  I didn't really like V or Ghost Mile at all really but up to Reconnected and holy moly this is some amazing music.  Great songwriting, musicianship and performances.  Wow, I'm very impressed so far.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2020, 04:41:17 PM »
Finally decided to check this out.  I didn't really like V or Ghost Mile at all really but up to Reconnected and holy moly this is some amazing music.  Great songwriting, musicianship and performances.  Wow, I'm very impressed so far.

:2metal:

My #3 album of 2019; still an incredible record. Reconnected is my favorite at the moment.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2020, 05:07:50 PM »
Will listen to the second half on the way home from work.  They found a sweet spot in their sound on this one that I've missed since Meaning of I.  I think this will make me ho back to those other albums though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2020, 01:39:33 PM »
The second half loses a little bit of steam, but not too much.  Great album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2020, 01:46:41 PM »

This is why I didn't love the album.  First half is very good and the second half is very forgettable, the final song is good but the album just loses steam

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2020, 01:58:21 PM »

This is why I didn't love the album.  First half is very good and the second half is very forgettable, the final song is good but the album just loses steam

Yeah that one and Sign of the Times I think it was called are good but the couple in between weren't as quality as the first half.  That's only after one interupted listen though so may change.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2020, 02:04:56 PM »
No way... first half is killer, but second half is killer too. Now Or Never is awesome, continues the trend of short but sweet and memorable tunes on their records. Water Over The Bridge, Runaway, Reconnected, Sign of the Times - all killer imo.

I'm biased though. Shit, this might actually match Ghost Mile in the long run, and Ghost Mile is one of my favorite records ever. CITS is freaking phenomenal. Best band in the prog scene imo.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2020, 02:22:29 PM »
No way... first half is killer, but second half is killer too. Now Or Never is awesome, continues the trend of short but sweet and memorable tunes on their records. Water Over The Bridge, Runaway, Reconnected, Sign of the Times - all killer imo.

I'm biased though. Shit, this might actually match Ghost Mile in the long run, and Ghost Mile is one of my favorite records ever. CITS is freaking phenomenal. Best band in the prog scene imo.

Hmmm.....I might try Ghost Mile.  I have a pysical copy of V but didn't really like it but didn't bother with Ghost Mile.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2020, 02:29:37 PM »
V was a grower even for me - it took well over a year before that one clicked (beyond the first 3 songs). Ghost Mile was an instant hit though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2020, 03:51:34 PM »
I'll find my copy of V and source Ghost Mile.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2020, 05:10:09 PM »
They found a sweet spot in their sound on this one that I've missed since Meaning of I.
Yeah, there's a lot of whimsy here, not just djenty highway tunes.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2020, 03:59:08 AM »
Listened to both V and Ghost Mile.  I don't know why I thought the band had changed their sound since Meaning of I.  I also don't know why when I brought V, I didn't like it and never played it again and then ignored the band for Ghost Mile.  Both were really really good.  Can't remember much from either but V especailly had some cool stuff going on.  I think the newer one is probably going to end up better than both but still, very good.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2020, 05:34:35 AM »
I think there has been a change. I love V but it feels much more serious and less wacky/random than TMOI. Ghost Mile was fine, but everything it did, V did better.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2020, 06:00:48 AM »
That's interesting. I never thought there was much of a difference in mood between TMOI and V. Certainly would never describe TMOI as either 'wacky' or 'random.' Huh.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2020, 06:31:58 AM »
I don't know how else to describe it! It's not as big of a difference as it is between Bilateral and later Leprous albums, but it's there for me, and I distinctly remember listening to V and thinking of it as the beginning of a new prog metal continuity, with The Meaning Of I being a sort of transition point from the first three albums that have varied influences. Around 2009ish in my circles we called them a "progressive" band because their sound was progressing somewhere, and when Scott Kay joined they actually started writing those sleek prog metal riffs and structuring the songs in a more traditional prog metal way, which culminated in V and Ghost Mile. Colours, to me, has both of these qualities.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2020, 06:50:41 AM »
Hmm, from that perspective, I could understand that. I would use different words to describe TMOI, personally, but yeah, there's definitely a change in sound. The last three records, especially since the lineup has been completely stable since Ash joined, all have a very similar sound to them, a real beefiness in the rhythm section. I gotta say Ash is my favorite progressive metal drummer out there currently. The whole band has this electric chemistry with one another that is really cool to see. They've found their sound, there's no shortage of ideas, and they're on fire. Can't be happier for them.

And the further into the deep end they go with the synthpop stuff, the more I love them.  :biggrin:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2020, 08:47:11 AM »
I gotta say Ash is my favorite progressive metal drummer out there currently.
And the further into the deep end they go with the synthpop stuff, the more I love them.  :biggrin:
Yeah, Ash is very underrated compared to people like Baard Kolstad - who is correctly rated, don't get me wrong, but that love needs to go around a bit as well!

And I totally hear you, I'm glad they're actually saying the words "synthpop metal" now too. See what a mess this thread title is?  :lol And that used to be the shortest way to describe them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2020, 02:28:11 PM »
I can actually see where you are both coming from there to be honest.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2020, 06:12:16 PM »
Ash was super impressive live.  When they played I only knew a few songs, but the drummer stood out from the first song to me.  Loved his style and aggressiveness.  That was such a killer set they did at ProgPower.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2020, 03:21:23 PM »
bump

Listening to Colours In The Sun again and my god it's just so good. Reconnected has become one of my top 10 - maybe top 5 - Voyager songs ever.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2021, 12:15:09 AM »
I stumbled into Colours In The Sun on Spotify this week. I love me some 80s pop and this is just delighting me.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online nick_z

« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2021, 06:43:12 AM »
I stumbled into Colours In The Sun on Spotify this week. I love me some 80s pop and this is just delighting me.

Good stuff! My favorite Voyager albums are The Meaning of I and Ghost Mile, but this has definitely grown on me over time.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2021, 03:56:59 PM »
I mean to go to Ghost Mile next. I really love this particular mix of styles.

Online nick_z

« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2021, 05:08:20 PM »
The re-issued version of Ghost Mile has 3 excellent live bonus tracks. The last song, Lost (from their I am the reVolution album), has an interlude where they play "Sandstorm", from techno/trance DJ Darude. It's brilliant ;D You might recognize the song as you hear it...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2021, 09:43:48 AM »
The re-issued version of Ghost Mile has 3 excellent live bonus tracks. The last song, Lost (from their I am the reVolution album), has an interlude where they play "Sandstorm", from techno/trance DJ Darude. It's brilliant ;D You might recognize the song as you hear it...

This was pretty awesome to see live

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2021, 12:39:17 PM »
I often find I like the sound and impact of something new but discover enough things I dislike soon afterwards that it ends up in the (enormous) "not quite" pile.

Happy to say that the opposite is true of Colours In The Sun. I find more and more I like about it as I go. Really, really great.