Author Topic: Crown Lands (Rush Fans?)  (Read 1743 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Crown Lands (Rush Fans?)
« on: March 14, 2021, 11:23:06 AM »
New band from Canada, who are unique in some ways being just a DUO.

Their singer Cody does have some of the early Geddy Lee wailing at times.

The 2 newest singles seem more Rush and progressive than the S/T debut album, which also isn't bad, but more Blues and Hard Rock.

Context: Fearless Pt. I:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOsOXLixWoY

Right Way Back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3b8n56ABz4

Debut Album on Spotify
https://open.spotify.com/album/5Zy5ogGBnewL6E1EUsShKN

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Crown Lands (Rush Fans?)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 12:09:07 PM »
Saw them as an opener for...I forget who...damn memory.

They were awesome. I bought their album and don't listen to it hardly at all. Partially because I don't listen to music as much as I used to and partially because I remember their album not being as good as they were live. Would definitely see them again.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 06:07:04 AM »
Just discovered them this weekend and I'm hooked to those 2 new songs. Maybe it's the use of the Taurus pedals.  :metal
They wear their influences on their sleeve, that's for sure. Lot of Zeppelin.
Some of the older stuff sounds like the Black Keys, which I'm not fond of...

Online HOF

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 08:44:06 AM »
Just listened to this. That was pretty awesome. They do sound like Rush, and the singer has some early Geddy-ness to him, but he also sounds a lot like Andrew Wood from Mother Love Bone (and probably other people of that era, that's just the name that popped in my head).

Also, why are the videos so gory?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 09:14:44 AM »
King pimped these guys on me last week.  Gotta get around to their debut, but I liked what I heard out of Fearless.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 10:47:56 PM »
I bought their self-titled CD last year. I can definitely hear Signals-era Rush in one of the songs. The remainder of the songs have a kind of Wolfmother vibe.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 05:41:34 AM »
I'm so into these guys right now. Just got tickets to see them in June in Toronto.
My cover band are even playing their song "The Witching Hour".

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 07:52:38 PM »
I'm so into these guys right now. Just got tickets to see them in June in Toronto.
My cover band are even playing their song "The Witching Hour".

Nice. I really like the White Buffalo EP. 

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 09:47:00 PM »
I saw these guys open for the Hu in Santa Ana, CA back in late 2019.  Here was my thoughts.

Crown Lands was an interesting opener to me.  They looked like guys that is part of the group of young bands that looks to emulate classic rock bands (see Greta Van Fleet and Dirty Honey).  However, the band they choose to wear their influences on looked to be Rush, particularly 70s Rush.  They are from Ontario, Canada and they choose Closer to the Heart as their intro tape music.  There was only two guys, a guitarist and a drummer and the drummer is the vocalist.  The vocalist sounded and made gestures like Robert Plant as well in one particular song and I thought to myself, "Did I somehow magically go back in time 45 years ago?  Because, I know I'm not in 2019 with this certain lighting of the stage and all."  Oddly enough, for some reason, the drum sound was shockingly on the low end of the volume during a song and the roadie acted fast to make sure that gets fixed and the band didn't break stride at all. They kept playing as well as they could have in that spot and the crowd cheered when the drum volume was fixed and the crowd liked their set.  I liked it a good amount as well.  Nice to see a more younger band pick Rush as one of their influence.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2023, 06:09:46 AM »
https://www.loudersound.com/features/best-prog-albums-2023?fbclid=IwAR2htSLeeW2-w9YJfqzObxpLBK3PP2T2geRbjnTieqrQoG-REkJxbWWMZ2U

Someone in the Big Big Train FB Group posted this list and as I was going down it, I read of Crown Lands for the first time and checked out their 2023 album Fearless on their bandcamp.

Wow, they weren't kidding when they said they sounded like Rush. I hear TONS of 70s/80s Rush sounds from these two, from the obvious vocals to the proggy writing but also the guitar and bass tones, the drumming, and even production and mixing. Apparently they've also worked with Terry Brown and Nick R. , so they've definitely earned a sort of "Canada's New Rush" title. I may have to buy the CD of their new album and spin it some more but WOW, what a discovery! I'm surprised not more folks are talking about this new album of theirs!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 07:55:55 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2023, 06:20:45 AM »
Definitely. Chad got me into them on their QST album a few years ago
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2023, 06:21:29 AM »
This just never connected with me. Some of the Rushisms were...uncomfortable.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2023, 06:25:36 AM »

You're uncomfortable. Lol. Love ya, Tim.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2023, 06:32:58 AM »

You're uncomfortable. Lol. Love ya, Tim.

:natalieportman:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2023, 03:40:51 PM »
Yep, their last album was talked about a couple of times here on DTF. I believe it got a MP shoutout on social media too.

I enjoy it a fair bit. I mean, a lot of it really does sound like lost bits and pieces of Rush tunes circa 1977-79, in an alternate reality  :) But there are also some nice, more general classic rock influences in the shorter songs and and it's overall an engaging listen.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2023, 12:03:19 AM »
I forgot to add their recent album on my Top 2023 albums. It's not quite Top 10 but definitely Top 20 for me. Dreamer Of The Dawn would have made my Top 10 songs of the year.

Yeah, the 70s Rush comparisons are sometimes a bit "too much" but overall it's not a dealbreaker for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.