Jersey Mikes
4 (11.1%)
Potbellys
1 (2.8%)
Charleys
0 (0%)
Jimmy John's
5 (13.9%)
Other (or specify in comments and I will add to poll)
12 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Sandwich Shops  (Read 3153 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Sandwich Shops
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 01:49:48 PM »
Tom + Chee were on Shark Tank :metal
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2014, 06:05:27 PM »
Harvey Gough was our soup nazi. You Yelp Goff's and you'll see all kinds of great stories. Since 1971 he steadfastly refused to serve hippies, so I never got to try one of his burgers (you walked in the door with long hair and he'd throw your ass out immediately, with pepper-spray if need be). He also had a 12' statue of Lenin in front of the place. Never explained why.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2014, 07:50:50 PM »
I'm partial to a Southern chain known as McAlister's.

And speaking of sandwiches, the Philly crowd here needs to weigh in on a side point for me:  I'll be in Philly for a business trip in a few months, so the obvious question is which place has the best cheesesteak???   ???

Definitely Jim's on South Street.  Pat's and Geno's get all the press...and while those are OK, and perhaps worth a visit for the tourist factor of being able to say you went there, Jim's at 4th and South is definitely the way to go. 

...And then walk 3.5 blocks up and visit Brauhaus Schmitz for some amazing German beers :) :)
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2014, 07:55:16 PM »
My friend has been writing a sandwich blog for some time now, always on the hunt for an amazing sandwich- he's from the Philly area originally but now lives in L.A.

https://thedangersandwich.blogspot.com/

I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2014, 08:21:13 PM »
Definitely Jim's on South Street.  Pat's and Geno's get all the press...and while those are OK, and perhaps worth a visit for the tourist factor of being able to say you went there, Jim's at 4th and South is definitely the way to go. 

...And then walk 3.5 blocks up and visit Brauhaus Schmitz for some amazing German beers :) :)
I blew off the whole cheesesteak nonsense, but I did hit Brauhaus Schmitz's RTM spinoff for a Bavarian. Thought they used the wrong paprika in the goulash, but the sandwich was bad ass. Took half of it back to the hotel to enjoy after the TA show, but it got waterlogged in my ice bucket. Broke my fucking heart.

Helpful hint from Barto: Never stay in a hotel without a fridge in the room. Someday it might cost you a damn fine sandwich you had your heart set on eating.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2014, 08:35:10 PM »
There's a place called Epic Deli that's sorta close to where I live and work. Not close enough that I will go there all the time but close enough that I can swing by on my commute. It has some absolutely fantastic sandwiches, but they will kill you if you eat there too often.

There's also a place down in Chicago that I've been wanting to go to for a while called Kuma's Corner. They have burgers named after metal bands and one of my friends said the food is awesome. Maybe on my birthday I'll convince my friends we need to go down there. ;)

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2014, 09:07:16 PM »

I blew off the whole cheesesteak nonsense, but I did hit Brauhaus Schmitz's RTM spinoff for a Bavarian. Thought they used the wrong paprika in the goulash, but the sandwich was bad ass. Took half of it back to the hotel to enjoy after the TA show, but it got waterlogged in my ice bucket. Broke my fucking heart.

Helpful hint from Barto: Never stay in a hotel without a fridge in the room. Someday it might cost you a damn fine sandwich you had your heart set on eating.

All of this is sound advice.  Thanks, guys!!  :tup

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2014, 11:10:24 AM »
There's also a place down in Chicago that I've been wanting to go to for a while called Kuma's Corner. They have burgers named after metal bands and one of my friends said the food is awesome. Maybe on my birthday I'll convince my friends we need to go down there. ;)

Kuma's is A+.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2014, 11:16:20 AM »

My friend Emmett whom you met in NYC lives for the Roast Pork, provolone, roasted red peppers, and broccoli rabe sandwich  from some famous place in Philly. Can't remember the name of the place but he says its light years better than the Philly Cheese steak. I have personally never had either of them in Philly.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2014, 12:12:44 PM »

My friend Emmett whom you met in NYC lives for the Roast Pork, provolone, roasted red peppers, and broccoli rabe sandwich  from some famous place in Philly. Can't remember the name of the place but he says its light years better than the Philly Cheese steak. I have personally never had either of them in Philly.
D'Nicks in RTM. Voted best sandwich in America by some TV show nimrods. To be honest it didn't look real interesting to me. They make another sandwich that looked better, but I opted for the Bavarian a few stalls down, instead. Besides which, now that it has the whole Pat/Geno's level of notoriety it's pretty hard to get one of them. They sell out early.
E.F. Benson

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2014, 05:46:48 PM »
Zingerman's in Ann Arbor.

/thread.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2014, 08:07:13 PM »
I believe Pat's and Geno's are both open 24 hours- although I could be wrong.  I've never heard of either one of them "running out," and as for that line around the building?  That's pretty common place no matter what time of the day you visit.  Jim's can get like that too depending on what time of day you go.  It's par for the course of getting a cheese steak :)

I'm not sure about the other roast beef creation of a sandwich- but I know there are tons of Italian style delis and I'm sure any of them could whip you up any amazing sandwich of your choosing.

If you have time go visit the Italian Market on 9th Street- delis, bakeries, butchers, spice shops...you name it. 
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2014, 10:12:12 PM »
I don't care much for chain subs. We had an actual Italian guy a few years back that had top-notch prosciutto imported from Italy, and I really liked that. Bummer the whole corner burned down because of an electrical fire.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2014, 10:48:48 PM »
I believe Pat's and Geno's are both open 24 hours- although I could be wrong.  I've never heard of either one of them "running out," and as for that line around the building?  That's pretty common place no matter what time of the day you visit.  Jim's can get like that too depending on what time of day you go.  It's par for the course of getting a cheese steak :)
I assume you were replying to me since I referred to Pat's/Geno's and running out. I was referring to D'Nicks running out now that their pork sandwich is famous. The fact that P/G won't doesn't surprise me. With regards to restaurants that do one particular thing, the good ones stay open until they're dry and then they're done for the day. The cheaper ones have an endless supply. Down here you'll often see BBQ places where the hours sign says something like "11am - 'til the meat's gone."  Invariably they kick the living shit out of the normal places with standard hours, since they'll only buy briskets that they know are top notch and leave the rest for the other guys.

Mr. Pickens there is very happy while the people behind him are sweating a little. This is also almost certainly before noon at this particular establishment.
E.F. Benson

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2014, 11:36:13 PM »

Offline Arry

• Only the good die young...
  • There is only one Um...
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2014, 01:28:13 PM »

Dickey's BBQ is opening up down the street from Jim's. Last time we were there, it was open yet. But they have some awesome BBQ Sandwiches, and my fave the pulled pork baked potato...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2014, 01:42:46 PM »
They make subs at Publix?  Didn't know that.

YES! Amazing subs!

I'll have to remember that next time I'm out there.  There's one a few blocks from my mom's place that I always walk to when I'm there.  I never felt compelled to get a sub there because I didn't know it was a thing.  I'll have to change that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2014, 02:08:04 PM »
In Huntington and Seal Beach, CA

John's Philly Grille - The absolute BEST Cheese steaks and Hoagies in SoCal.   I LOVE Hoagies and Italian subs and am constantly trying to find the best.  John's has been on the top of my list for almost 20 years now.

https://www.phillygrille.com/home.html