Author Topic: 2014-01-25 - Gasometer - Vienna, AUT  (Read 5427 times)

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
2014-01-25 - Gasometer - Vienna, AUT
« on: January 20, 2014, 06:44:06 AM »
Well, I'll be there with three friends. One of them is a DT virgin who probably won't know what hit him until a few days later. :biggrin:

Very much looking forward to the great setlist (my excitement level maxed when I saw the Portugal list, I'm only missing my DT12 favorite TBP), the great visuals by Blob and Thomas, and a great time of course.

Anyone else from DTF?

Greetings...
Nef

Offline 92Hours

Re: 2014-01-25 - Gasometer - Vienna, AUT
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 07:32:28 AM »
First Post  ;D

I'll also be attending the concert in Vienna (Meet and Greet incl.), my second DT show after Vienna 2012. Setlist looks great and I'm over the top excited.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 10:04:24 AM »
It's very possible that I'll be there, as long as there's enough of us interested to travel from Serbia to Austria. But if the people bail on me, I'll activate plan B, which is Zagreb. Hopefully it will be Vienna, though, it lines up perfectly with my exams and it's also Saturday.

Offline Nefarius

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:19:50 AM »
Vienna will be great as usual, just like the last couple of times I've seen them at Gasometer.

It's the 9th show of the tour, so I think they're pretty tuned in to touring mode and confident and comfortable playing the set while still being early enough to feel fresh and challenging. Also they have a day off on the 24th (JM's birthday) which should provide an opportunity to relax and have a good time. All good signs for an epic show.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 12:06:33 PM »
I'll be there as well. Since I don't know anyone else who listens to Dream Theater, I'll be going there alone. Pretty excited nevertheless ;D

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 09:37:36 AM »
Hey Nef,

Are you still going to make the double sided sign with JLB's laughing face on it?

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=39096.msg1681886#msg1681886

I still think it's a great idea and you've only got one day left.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 11:01:47 AM »
Hey Nef,

Are you still going to make the double sided sign with JLB's laughing face on it?

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=39096.msg1681886#msg1681886

I still think it's a great idea and you've only got one day left.

You have to do that and sing Happy Birthday loudly to JMX and record that.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 12:25:13 PM »
I'll be there as long as long as we don't get stuck somewhere because of the goddamn snow that's supposed to fall tonight.  ;)  ;D

Offline Nefarius

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 02:07:10 PM »
Sorry, no signs, way too lazy to prepare anything. Other than the seemingly insurmountable task of coordinating four guys and one car from Graz to Vienna and back. But very nice to see someone remembering that idea. I guess it's still open for someone else to carry out along the road ride.

Today was the first real day of snow in Graz and other lowland areas in Austria this winter and I really dislike snow. But it shouldn't be much of a problem tomorrow. Well at least I hope so.

If you want to say hi, I'm the big musician nerd guy in black with a beard somewhere in the front center area. :yeahright

Probably the only one with a bright orange bandana though, so I guess I'll be somewhat easy to spot.
And singing about the same amount of lyrics JLB has to sing.

I'll try to start some "Happy Birthday John Myung" chant.

Greetings...
Nef
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 02:17:29 AM by Nefarius »

Offline igySK

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 09:32:14 AM »
I can't wait! And yeah let's sing some Happy Birthday for John Myung
"Neil Peart doesn't wish to be a god, a god wishes to be Neil Peart"

Offline TobiGuitar94

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 05:06:39 AM »
Show was awesome! By far the best of their 3 recent concerts in Vienna (2011,2012,2014).
Already wrote some review of Labrie`s performance in the main thread. Man, he was just great.
Also the setlist was 200 percent better than the the last 2 vienna concerts.
Can`t wait to see them again!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 06:01:06 AM »
That was just amazing.

I already can't wait for the next time.

Highlights:
- James LaBrie. I was slightly worried during the first three songs before he warmed up, but he freaking nailed all the tricky high bits in Trial of tears as well as the Awake stuff, I was so impressed. I couldn't keep my eyes off him during some of the songs where he needed to deliver, and he delivered big time.
- Space-dye vest. I believe this song got the biggest applause, so that's saying something.
- Enigma machine. It is so much fun live, and Mangini blew us away.
- The stage was terrific, I think this was the best looking stage ever since I started attending Dream Theater concerts in 2009.  Quite a lot of thought went into it, so many wonderful details.

We traveled through the snow from Serbia to Vienna for about nine hours, and then the same amount of time back. I'm fucking exhausted, but it was absolutely worth it.

I saw you while we were standing in the queue to get in Nefarius, I had no idea that's really you on your avatar.  ;D

Offline LightCurves

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 06:42:45 AM »
Great, great show. Fantastic setlist and DT at their most musical. Have to agree that its their best set-design yet, stage looks amazing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 08:45:30 AM »
That was just amazing.

I already can't wait for the next time.

Highlights:
- James LaBrie. I was slightly worried during the first three songs before he warmed up, but he freaking nailed all the tricky high bits in Trial of tears as well as the Awake stuff, I was so impressed. I couldn't keep my eyes off him during some of the songs where he needed to deliver, and he delivered big time.
- Space-dye vest. I believe this song got the biggest applause, so that's saying something.
- Enigma machine. It is so much fun live, and Mangini blew us away.
- The stage was terrific, I think this was the best looking stage ever since I started attending Dream Theater concerts in 2009.  Quite a lot of thought went into it, so many wonderful details.

We traveled through the snow from Serbia to Vienna for about nine hours, and then the same amount of time back. I'm fucking exhausted, but it was absolutely worth it.

Awesome M!  :tup

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nefarius

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 10:32:47 AM »
Agreed, great show. But then again they've been really good every time I've seen them in Vienna and that one time in Budapest too. James was officially on fire that night and seemed to have a great time, the others also appeared to be in a good mood.

The visuals and videos for the songs worked very well (especially Blob's album intro and the Spy vs. Spy Enigma Machine thing) and the YouTube mix during the intermission was a fun kind of contrast and break. Light design was fine, especially with the backdrop in red with blue/green/yellow moving across the stage and audience.

Sound was far from bad but could have been better like in previous years, some sections were a little muddy, boomy, or shrill. Then again my secret wish that they would drop the overall volume by 5% to give the individual instruments more separation and breathing space will probably never be fulfilled.

Already looking forward to the next time, let's try and get the DTF people together for a picture at Gasometer on the next tour.

Greetings...
Nef