Author Topic: Dracula on NBC  (Read 1292 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Dracula on NBC
« on: January 17, 2014, 10:22:38 PM »
This show has really grown on me. There are only so many ways you can interpret this tale. I wanted to like the show when if began, but honestly didn't think I would. There are times the storyline begins to drag, but then I'm surprised with just the right amount of extreme vampiric violence and gore. What does DTF think?
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Dracula on NBC
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 02:46:28 AM »
I've stayed away.  Is it really worth checking out?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 05:51:14 AM »
It looks as I may be the only one, but yes, I believe that it is. Jonathan Rhys Meyers does an excellent job, and the period acting is fairly strong and well suited.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 09:55:23 AM »
Seen every episode. I love the show personally. Its improved from week to week.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 10:04:04 AM »
I didn't like it at all. I thought it was overacted, fairly cheesy, and something that seems a bit too familiar; I also abhor the love aspect of the show. I'm sick and tired of these vampires with feelings, let alone the king of them all. That, and I really don't like Meyers at all, so that didn't help (and Van Helsing is a loser in this one). It wasn't utterly horrible, but it's not worth my time and there's much better shows airing and/or going to be airing soon that I'd much rather give my time to.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 10:28:33 AM »
I thought about watching but I intended to whittle down the list of shows I've been watching.....until I got access to free Netflix.....now I don't sleep at all.

It looked like something I'd be in to....I may marathon watch it 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline smaug

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 05:14:41 PM »
I watch it. It's okay, but good enough for me to keep coming back. I just watched this week's dvr'd episode...be interesting so see what Lucy gets up to now...

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 09:19:08 PM »
I enjoyed the first several episodes and have since kind of lost track of it. It's not great, but like smaug just said, it's good enough to get me to watch again.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 12:15:40 AM »
I didn't like it at all. I thought it was overacted, fairly cheesy, and something that seems a bit too familiar; I also abhor the love aspect of the show. I'm sick and tired of these vampires with feelings, let alone the king of them all. That, and I really don't like Meyers at all, so that didn't help (and Van Helsing is a loser in this one). It wasn't utterly horrible, but it's not worth my time and there's much better shows airing and/or going to be airing soon that I'd much rather give my time to.

If you don't like Meyers at all, then I totally get you wouldn't really be able to get into it. But you do realize the love story IS the story, right? Besides Satan he's the most powerful creature on the planet; with enough power to crush entire armies if he so chose. But it's his love and obsession with Mina and his awareness that in his current state as a vampire that he cannot be loved in return that is his torment. The love story is his Achilles heal.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 03:20:24 AM »
I see.  Well, it doesn't sound like anything I would like, either.  I don't buy the "vampire in love" trope that has become popular in recent years.  I mean, I guess I could understand with a fresh vampire, but not with Dracula, the king of them all. 

If someone did a series/film showing him as a totally evil bloodsucker, I would like that better.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 03:48:18 AM »
I see.  Well, it doesn't sound like anything I would like, either.  I don't buy the "vampire in love" trope that has become popular in recent years.  I mean, I guess I could understand with a fresh vampire, but not with Dracula, the king of them all. 

If someone did a series/film showing him as a totally evil bloodsucker, I would like that better.

But the whole "love trope" is true to the original Bram Stoker version already. His obsession of Mina as another of his vampire brides was his original downfall. Although it was the story line in Coppolas version that she was his former wife Elisabetta. Thats really when the whole "dark love affair" really took off. It went from sociopath/ monster obsession to love. In the book Mina was totally committed to Jonathan. In the movie she begins to fall for Vlad when he gets to London.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:07:55 AM by TempusVox »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 04:31:11 AM »

But the whole "love trope" is true to the original Bram Stoker version already. His obsession of Mina as another of his vampire brides was his original downfall. Although it was the story line in Coppolas version that she was his former wife Elisabetta. Thats really when the whole "dark love affair" really took off. It went from sociopath/ monster obsession to love. In the book Mina was totally committed to Jonathan. In the movie she begins to fall for Vlad when he gets to London.
I didn't get any "love" from Dracula in the novel.  He seemed obsessed with her, but it seemed more strategic than anything else to me.  She was a tactic he was using against his adversaries.

Of course, it's been a looooong time since I read it, so I may be way off-base here.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 05:19:31 AM »
No. I agree. He was obsessed in the novel. The love aspect came out in film adaptations.