Author Topic: What's your ideal Dream Theater concert?  (Read 21147 times)

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Re: What's your ideal Dream Theater concert?
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2014, 11:01:19 AM »
Do you really want Charlie runing A Change of Seasons like that

I totally didn't think of that  :facepalm:

How about this instead:

---Encore 2---
***JP, JM, JLB, JR, MM, KM, MP, and DS beat Charlie into submission so he can't sing the next song***
A Change of Seasons (w/ Derek, Kev, and Mike, but not Charlie, because he sounds better when he doesn't sing, and every DT fan wants to forget he ever existed)

Am I supposed to be typing in a different color? I'm new to this forum....
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:02:54 PM by OpenYourEyes311 »
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2014, 11:50:01 AM »
No, you're just not supposed to type that:lol

lol yea green is for sarcasm.

....you want Charlie on SPACE DYE VEST??!??  ??? :| o.O

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2014, 12:01:07 PM »
haha, I think it would be fun to hear Charlie perform some stuff he's never done before! And since we already have a "normal" live version coming with the next live DVD, I thought a Charlie version would be neat. Although I was debating between SDV and Eve for the Kevin Moore song, so maybe that would make more sense.

I also think Charlie would be great on LitS, doing Pinnick's parts, and maybe trading lines or whole verses with James. I personally love Charlie and thought he did a great job in 2004, I would love to see more of him and DT together.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2014, 03:25:26 PM »
The idea of a 30 year anniversary setlist is kinda neat, but IMO it lacks maybe a few too many of the BIG songs. No Octavarium? No Metropolis Part 1?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2014, 04:23:42 PM »
The idea of a 30 year anniversary setlist is kinda neat, but IMO it lacks maybe a few too many of the BIG songs. No Octavarium? No Metropolis Part 1?

Those both were done on Score, the bands 20th anniversary so I could see them skipping those altough that in no means that they arent important songs in DTs catalog, but with the amount of material they have, somethings gotta give.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2014, 06:07:57 PM »
Okay...okay! I Know I've already done TWO of these, but I didn't really "clock" either one of them, and I wanted to be a little more realistic in my selections. Also I wanted to correct some mistakes that I made, especially regarding some songs that I wanted in the show, but forgot about and put the "wrong" ones in instead. Best of all, this time there will be NO medleys! The total playing time clocks in at about ten minutes shy of three hours, unless the band were to do some extended jams/instrumental passages. Now, some people might think that I'm "pandering" or "going for the obvious"  or "being too commercial" with some of my selections, but you'll never please everybody, no matter what you do. As Mike Portnoy once said about the release of one of their albums "We could deliver the second coming of CHRIST and still not please everybody!" Another thing that some people may not like is that this show is planned as a retrospective of their ENTIRE CAREER, with at least one song from every album More or less in chronological order. But at least they're all FULL-LENGTH songs, the shortest one being just shy of five minutes!
But since we are still on the "Along for the Ride" tour I wanted to include a few extra songs from the new album, and fortunately MOST of those songs are SHORT enough that they'll fit in with my format.

Anyway-on with the show!

First Set:
The Intro Tape will be "eve"
Opener>
1) Surrender to Reason
2) Lost Not Forgotten>
I thought it would be fun to start by inverting a couple of newer songs like they sometimes do anyway. Also I wanted to include an extra song from "Dramatic" because it was the first DT album that Mr. Mangini played on, so he can be in more "familiar territory." So after the first two songs, Mr. LaBrie would give a little speech thanking the audience, welcoming them to the show, and explaining that tonight's show is going to cover the entire history of the band (or something to that effect) Starting with
"When Dream and day unite:"

3) Only a Matter of Time>
More or less my favorite song off the album. The "Budokan" version was excellant, so I'm sure it'll still sound great.
4) Metropolis> This is one song the audience never seems to get tired of, and I guess I really don't, either.
5) Scarred>
I know this song was in the previous setlist, but it's still thev 20th anniversary of "Awake," so why not keep the longest single song from that album in the set?
6) Just Let Me Breathe>
I kind of wanted to include a more "epic" track like "Lines in the Sand" or "New Millennium" but I think this onev fits better time-wise. Besides, I don't think they've played this song since "Metropolis 2000."
7) The Spirit Carries On>Another song the audience never seems to get tired of, and is also the right length to fit my "format"
8) Keyboard Solo>
Mr. Rudess could maybe play some samples from the original "Overture" and/or expand the piano intro by at least a minute or two, going into...
9)...About to Crash>This track fits my idea because of the strong guitar and piano parts in it, it would make a good segue from- Keyboard Solo-to itself-to...
10)...Guitar Solo> a good way to come out of "Crash." Mr. Petrucci normally plays a 7 or 8 minute solo, but maybe this time he could play a shorter (like around 5:00), heavier solo that would fit in perfectly with the heavy "fuzz-tone" intro to...
11)...As I Am>
After the heaviness of that song we'll conclude the first set by "bringing it down" and "mellowing it out" with the song that the tour is/was named for. That way we ease the audience into the intermission instead of just throwing us/them into it. Also I thought it would be a good idea to "bookend" the first set with a couple of songs from the new album. And so we finish Part One with...

12) Along for the Ride

INTERMISSION:
When I saw the A.f.t.R. show at the Mesa Arts Center on Easter Sunday of this year, they showed some hilarious videos from youtube or whatever of people making fun of the band, the band making fun of themselves, etc., during the intermissiopn, but it was only for about ten minutes. I would like to see more of this, and when I mean more, I would like it to go for at least 15 min., maybe 20.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled program!

Second Set:
1) Sacrificed Sons> I don't think they've played this song since the "Octavarium" tour. I don't like a lot of James LaBrie's lyrical contributions to the band, but in this case he nailed it! This song strikes an emotional chord with a lot of people, and I think it's a pretty good representation of the album. Also, I think the slow intro is a good way to ease the audience (and themselves) back into the show...
2) Forsaken> The only thing that made it easy for me to pick this song was it's length. I do like this song, and a lot of us like horror/vampire stories, so I'm not unhappy with it. But...I would like to maybe have included "Constant Motion." However, without Mr. Portnoy there to sing his part of it, it just wouldn't sound as good. I don't like overdubs-especially vocals-at live shows. There's already too much of that in the "Luna Park" video.
3) A Rite of Passage> On my previous list or lists I included "The Count of Tuscany" because for some stupid reason I clean forgot about this song. It's pretty much my favorite (other than "The Shattered Fortress"and their fantastic cover of "Stargazer") off of B.C.&S.L. It's a cool song about a controversial subject, has great instrumentation, and a very singable chorus. What's not to like? And it would be a great segue-way into the...
4)...Drum Solo> A lot of people like the extended jams/instrumental pieces, so you might like my idea: The Drum Solo would go straight into...
5)... Enigma Machine>...Which would incorporate a lead/solo bass jam by Mr. Myung for about two or three minutes, expanding a six minute instrumental to about nine. Also, I wanted to spread the new tracks out instead of cramming them all into the first set or at the end of the show.
6) On the Backs of Angels>Lyrically, this is more or less my favorite song from "Dramatic." It seems to have something to do with conspiracy theories, and I'm somewhat of a conspiracy buff.
7) A Change of Seasons> Yes, that's right! The first big one, in it's ENTIRETY! Another song that has been MIA for WAY too long! I think it's been about ten years since they've played it, and I'm sure Mangini has never played it at all. I thought it would be interesting to place it here in the set, instead of having it be the VERY last song, or put in too early, because at this point in the show, the band would hopefully be a little more relaxed and not want to "rush" through it. BUT...the audience would probably think that was it. But wat!...There's more! First there's ONE MORE SONG ito conclude the second set:
8) Behind the veil> I think this song is the most interesting song lyrically from the new disc. I've always liked songs and stories about the conflict between good and evil, and this one is kind of like a condensed version of "In the Presence of Enemies."

So there we have it: Two sets that when I added them up totaled about 80 min. each, thus fitting into the "less than three hours format."

What's that you say? "What about an ENCORE?" No encore? Would I do that to you? Of COURSE not!...And you KNOW that there's only ONE way we could properly wrap this thing up. If you peeked at the end (And SHAME ON YOU if you did!) then you ALREADY KNOW...that the encore is....:

PULL ME UNDER!!!>
I swear I think I'm the only one who included this (Their best-known song!!) in my "perfect set list." I can understand why. it's been "done to death," and they don't do much with it when they play it live. But...a lot of us still love this song. It's the one that put them on map! So to speak. I really think that after the more than two-and-a-half hours of over-the-top insanity that I've just served you with, concluding with this song would be THE way to satisfy the most number of people. I think it would probably do it for me.

Anyway, my friends, thank for your patient indulgance if you've borne with me up until now. I hope you enjoyed my selections and my comments, and asny feedback would be MORE than welcome!

And so...until I change my mind again...

I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Grizz

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2014, 11:54:50 PM »
As I Am's intro is on bass.

Sacrificed Sons was done in '09-'10.

Put ACoS as the encore and PMU in the second set and it'll work a lot better. Or swap ACoS and Behind the Veil and replace PMU with LtL (with or without Wait For Sleep), Octavarium, The Count, BaI, etc.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2014, 08:02:09 AM »
Pull Me Under should never be a set closer or encore.  For one, the intro is too difficult to play well live, so it comes off too limp to start with at that stage of a show.  The way they did it on the Awake tour was perfect: it opened the show, and the first 55 seconds was from the CD and played as they came on stage, and then as soon as the song kicks up a notch, they all start playing it live.  That is the perfect way to do that song. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2014, 08:03:51 AM »
Pull Me Under should never be a set closer or encore.  For one, the intro is too difficult to play well live, so it comes off too limp to start with at that stage of a show.  The way they did it on the Awake tour was perfect: it opened the show, and the first 55 seconds was from the CD and played as they came on stage, and then as soon as the song kicks up a notch, they all start playing it live.  That is the perfect way to do that song.

I agree. But they could really place it anywhere WITHOUT the intro, similar to what they did with Home in 2010.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grizz

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2014, 10:59:51 AM »
Pull My Metropolis worked fine as the set closer in 2010. I don't think that Pull Me Under would benefit from having its intro castrated.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2014, 11:17:30 AM »
I think it gets castrated when they play it live, since it's nearly impossible for JP to get the right amount of both echo (or whatever that effect is) and power during it for it to sound not limp live. 

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2014, 11:20:08 AM »

I agree. But they could really place it anywhere WITHOUT the intro, similar to what they did with Home in 2010.

They did it with PMU itself in 1998 and at least once in 2002. Especially efficient to get the crowd pumped.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2014, 12:50:48 PM »
Actually, Pull me Under WAS the encore of the second show at Luna Park. I thought it it sounded fine in that spot. but the version of Metropolis from the first day was better. Anyway, a lot of people don't seem to feel they've gotten a complete DT show unless they hear that song, and I'm sure that a lot of other people in the audience would love to hear it as an encore.  I always wondered why they never used it for an encore until the "Dramatic" tour. Now I guess I know. As for anything else I may of gotten wrong, I DID say things like "I don't think," or "As far as I know." And yes, I also know that there were a few spelling errors. I just listened to the  Luna Park version of Pull Me Under while I was writing this, and I found very little to be wrong with the way it sounded. A lot of songs, even by them are going to have vocal or instrumental parts that don't come off that well live. Also, even if I'm wrong about As I Am's intro, I STILL think a heavy guitar solo would be a damn good bridge between the end of About to Crash, and the beginning of that song. One of the biggest problems with way too many of you people is that you want to suck the life out of everything my making it too technically precise until it becomes your version of perfect. PLEASE try to remember that this is a ROCK band.!!! They don't always do everything the same way every time, nor should they be expected to! They probably make little changes in the way that they play and sing the songs because they get BORED doing the same s**t day after day, week after week, month after month, YEAR after YEAR! As John petrucci himself has actually said in one of their videos "we are NOT machines!" If you want the songs to stay exactly the same, stay home and listen to their albums. Don't GO to their live shows or listen to their live albums or watch their concert DVDs! Maybe some of us who do would LIKE to hear something a little different! And we don't mind a few mistakes now and again, because, like I said, it reminds us that they ARE human beings, and not just a buch of f***ing machines!!! Try to have a sense of humor about it, would you please?
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
When I made my second attempt at this I kind of got carried away. cramx3 was right to ask that question, but the FOUR (not three, as I mistakenly said before) was the only way I could think of to get the variety that I wanted, and represent the band's overall output. Still, I think I did a pretty good job on my "third draft" of creating a far more realistic and "doable" concert.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2014, 11:12:31 PM »
In the name of your preferred prophet, settle down!

And as far as the whole thing about them doing rock variances, they kind of gave that up with the arrival of MM if you haven't noticed. But I get that it's an ideal show, and my ideal show would have variety too. I was just offering my two cents.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2014, 05:53:54 AM »
I think what makes the Score anniversary so great is that it has both surprises like Another Won and Raise the Knife, it has epics like 6DOIT and Octavarium, and a few "must have" like Metropolis and The Spirit Carries On. It's perhaps not a perfect setlist since it's a little bit more to the Octavarium side of things, but overall I think it's fairly balanced. Some new surprises, they tried getting something from each album and also include some fan favorites.

I'll admit my knowledge of what songs they have performed live and not is not the best, apart from Space Dye-Vest which they did recently. Are there any other major stand-outs that hasn't been played live? If so, that could be something truly special for an anniversary setlist.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2014, 05:55:59 AM »
You Not Me :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2014, 09:58:10 AM »
The only unplayed material are some obscure Majesty songs,  The Best of Times, one of the FII demos (Don't Look Past Me?) and the three song run off of the new album.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2014, 10:02:32 AM »
The only unplayed material are some obscure Majesty songs,  The Best of Times, one of the FII demos (Don't Look Past Me?) and the three song run off of the new album.

DLPM is from the IaW demos, actually. But yeah, it hasn't been played.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2014, 11:41:04 AM »

The Best of Times would probably make for a really special live song if played on an anniversary. But it was written by MP right? So the chances of them playing it (because I think it was a very personal song for him?) feels slim at best. Maybe if they manage to smooth over the rough relationship with MP and get him to join them on stage for that song, who knows.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2014, 05:23:17 PM »
I'd wish they'd bring TCOT back so it could be filmed for a Blu-Ray release.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2014, 08:36:31 AM »
I'd wish they'd bring TCOT back so it could be filmed for a Blu-Ray release.

YES!  so much this.  Can we start a petition?

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2014, 02:42:09 PM »
For now, if you know how to download a youtube video (or even if you don't), sync these up with the Happy Holidays audio-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVuyHW7mrcc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf6sXh7ouc4

Pro audio and multi-cam video is not so far off from the DVD experience.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2014, 05:20:55 PM »
For now, if you know how to download a youtube video (or even if you don't), sync these up with the Happy Holidays audio-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVuyHW7mrcc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf6sXh7ouc4

Pro audio and multi-cam video is not so far off from the DVD experience.
:lol Nice!  Why is it when you edit a video it end up twice as big? even when cutting out parts.  I feel like once I combine these two videos, I'll end up with a DVD sized file for just one song.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2014, 10:58:49 AM »
It has to do with compression. The way you're probably editing re-encodes the video to a higher quality, but encoding videos multiple times degrades quality.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2014, 07:54:07 AM »
Id still rather have a professional product of TCOT on Blu Ray so I could experience it as close to as I can as being there.

Offline tnphelps

« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2014, 06:00:20 PM »
A couple of Florida dates in 2014 would be ideal...

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2014, 10:37:41 AM »
A couple of Florida dates in 2014 would be ideal...
Yup. This. I'd take a neutered 90 min set at this point. I just want DT in Florida damnit!

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2014, 10:49:41 AM »
My ideal  concert is an Evening with...show in Southeast Florida,...hell, anywhere in Florida. I would've driven the state to see them as I've done numerous times before. Any list of songs would do. Obviously, for whatever reason (promoters, asking for too much money etc etc), this is NEVER going to happen. I'm sorry DT, but I cannot and will not spend my hard earned dollars to see another half-show filled with medleys and other bands I could care nothing about. It is simply not worth my money or my time. Extremely disappointed in Miami.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:02:36 PM by bluehaze1933 »

Offline Mike PornToy

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2014, 07:47:55 AM »
Epic concert  :tup

Enemies Part1 & 2
Another Hand - Killing Hand
Tuscany
Honor thy Father
Octavarium

Change of Seasons
Kitchen + Lines
Disapear
Scarred
Home
Breaking all illusion

Illumination  Theory

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2014, 12:53:59 PM »
The Necromancer! :D

Offline MiracleSleeper

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2014, 03:36:22 PM »
My dream concert? It would either have to be about 6 hours long, or spread across two nights lol. There's a lot of songs I want to hear.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2014, 10:04:07 PM »
I would love for their upcoming Melbourne concert to play Octavarium and Six Degrees or at least Goodnight Kiss and then another two hours of their masterpieces.  :smiley:

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2014, 01:38:20 PM »
This is EASY...my IDEAL DT concert would be any setlist as long as Mike Portnoy was back on drums! :metal :hefdaddy

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2014, 11:17:14 AM »
My ideal DT concert is if they would make an appearance within within 250 miles of my home city of Nashville, Tennessee.  Whining and bitching aside, any chance to see these guys would be on my bucket list.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.