Author Topic: Hypothetically, who could replace James Labrie if he ever left?  (Read 26933 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Replacing James Labrie
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2014, 06:53:01 PM »
Realistically - if anyone else left the band now - they'd be done I think.

No way. If Mangini left they could get some other Mike.. that Portnoy guy is pretty good.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2014, 06:54:33 PM »
I'm not getting into THAT debate...

If MM quit - my only choice would be Thomas Lang.

The other 3 musicians are irreplaceable. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2014, 06:55:28 PM »
:facepalm: thread
I dunno - think about it. Would there be such a reaction if it was " Who could hypothetically replace John Myung ? "

Obviously nobody would suggest that Myung cannot play - just hypothetically - who could fill those shoes ?

Thread = " Who else could sound cool singing for DT ? "

People's reactions = " Labrie sucks - who should replace him ASAP ? "

Thank you for this,  :biggrin:

Well, yeah, I get what you are saying.  It's legitimate discussion that is not meant to bash the band or James, so I've left it open.  But one problem is that, because of the thread title, it is easy for someone to read the title and take the other interpretation of, "Oh, another thread bashing James and saying he should be replaced!"  Honestly, when I first read the thread title and hadn't yet read the discussion, I was immediately concerned that this would be a thread that needed to get locked or deleted.  Rather than do that, I'm going to take the liberty of chaning the thread title so it is more clear.  Konrad, if you prefer a different wording for the title than what I am changing it to, PM me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline LTE3

Re: Hypothetically, who could replace James Labrie if he ever left?
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2014, 10:41:03 PM »
Steve Perry
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2014, 10:56:41 PM »
I wouldn't say Marc is "way different" from ZP. I can tell them apart (I also prefer Marc), but they've got a similar tone and style.

Perhaps they both fit into the tenor category and all, but Marc's voice is a lot cleaner and I think his range is a bit wider than ZP's range. Either way, the change was for good since ZP's voice really went down over the last tours, and ZP is doing pretty well with I Am I, I think.

No way. If Mangini left they could get some other Mike.. that Portnoy guy is pretty good.

I think I wouldn't be able to see Mangini leaving DT. It would truly break my heart, and perhaps I wouldn't even be able to feel happy about Portnoy coming back. Maybe that's just me.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2014, 08:10:06 AM »
This guy
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2014, 08:37:03 AM »
I'm not getting into THAT debate...

If MM quit - my only choice would be Thomas Lang.

The other 3 musicians are irreplaceable.
It's a pointless debate indeed, but I think that both JM and MM are replaceable at this point, in the sense that DT could go on without them. Without JP or JLB there would be no DT, this applies to JR as well, although I could imagine that in a decade he'd like to call it quits and the band would continue without him for a few years, just because of the age difference.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2014, 09:16:30 AM »
Also interesting.

That JM could be replaced by JR couldn't. I reluctantly agree.

But that JR might retire ahead of the others. I could see that happening.

I'd give them another 10 years max before they really slow it down. I doubt they'd just quit though. I think we'll see the odd comeback/reunion tour or whatever once every 4 or 5 years. Maybe with an album. Maybe not. Comes back to the age old question around these parts of how long they'll keep the facility to do this. I reckon MM and JLB would go first in that sense.

Interesting that if it was legit that a member quits due to physically not being able to play the music any more then what?

How about DT enact a policy of recruiting a member around 20 - 25 years younger than the member they're replacing? 25 years time we could have an all new DT that had a gradual replacing of members to carry the torch forward. That would be weird but I dunno.....no one has ever done it so why not? I'd go for JP being the last man standing from the original line up!
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2014, 10:57:16 AM »
People said the same thing before MP left and look at where we are now.

And as someone else mentioned, the same thing was said for David Lee Roth, Ozzy, Steve Perry and other frontmen.

So it's possible that it could happen. Not that it's likely, but possible. And if it happen, I'd like to see someone who has the same or better range than JL (so that the old material could be done justice) and yet is different enough to stand out as not being a clone.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline angelillo

« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2014, 11:24:06 AM »

if that happened... I will go for Carl Lindquist, he would bring his own style but still makes me fill comfortable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O360fgD8Fk

Offline emtee

« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2014, 11:41:27 AM »
After being blown away by how good Stryper's No More Hell To Pay is...I'll throw Michael Sweet into the mix. Range. Power.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2014, 12:05:23 PM »
After being blown away by how good Stryper's No More Hell To Pay is...I'll throw Michael Sweet into the mix. Range. Power.

Actually I can't argue with that one at all. Michael Sweet was fantastic on No More Hell To Pay.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2014, 12:29:24 PM »
It seems weird to me someone's thoughts in the thread. Saying that I'd like to see some one like James with better range, much power and young is kind of disloyalty. I know it's hypothetical, at least for many but some thinks it's likely to happen. The reason behind this thought is seeing performed older stuff live as their gold days state. Yeah it's understandable wish but James is 50, he is still doing great, at least trying his best. So what could you expect more?
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2014, 01:26:50 PM »
I never really liked Labrie. Not only his singing, but also his 'timbre', his tone... It's kind of annoying to me. But thats ok, because he's part of the band's identity.
I guess that's ok, Dream Theater is annoying as a whole :D :D :D

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2014, 03:50:58 PM »
change thread name from "Hypothetically, who could replace James Labrie if he ever left?" to "Hypothetically, who could replace Mike Portnoy if he ever left Transatlantic?"  :tup

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2014, 05:26:27 PM »
....Why? ???

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2014, 05:33:04 PM »
It seems weird to me someone's thoughts in the thread. Saying that I'd like to see some one like James with better range, much power and young is kind of disloyalty. I know it's hypothetical, at least for many but some thinks it's likely to happen. The reason behind this thought is seeing performed older stuff live as their gold days state. Yeah it's understandable wish but James is 50, he is still doing great, at least trying his best. So what could you expect more?

I honestly can't think of even 5 Metal vocalists who have been around for as long and managed to preserve their range and power to the extent that James did. And most of them didn't even have to suffer through a throat injury. That JLB sounds the way he does now is an amazing feat.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline tnphelps

« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2014, 05:58:49 PM »
Michael Eriksen

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2014, 06:50:27 PM »

Actually I can't argue with that one at all. Michael Sweet was fantastic on No More Hell To Pay.
Yep -- hard to argue with this.  But frankly, I really like JLB and don't want him going anywhere.  I was relistening to SFAM today and thinking how perfectly he fits that album.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2014, 06:55:31 PM »
Nicky Spanjaards

Why is anybody else even an option?

He may not have the voice but he does have the mannerisms and afterall, that is why most of us listen to Dream Theater...so we can watch James LaBrie. 

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2014, 07:08:43 PM »
Nicky Spanjaards

Why is anybody else even an option?

He may not have the voice but he does have the mannerisms and afterall, that is why most of us listen to Dream Theater...so we can watch James LaBrie.
i agree with you. They like trolling Labrie.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2014, 09:23:37 PM »
WTF I'll play along.

Nils Rue from Pagans Mind.

I agree with this suggestion.  Would be my #1 (hypothetical) choice  :biggrin:  Nils is incredible.  Awesome range, power, presence, has a pretty wide range of vocal stylings and has his own unique timbre.  However, I will admit his voice did have to grow on me. 

Honestly though, now that I think about it I wouldn't want this to happen.  I love Pagan's Mind too much  :lol 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:37:49 PM by gm5k »

Offline voncorn

« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2014, 02:17:51 AM »
-
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:54:46 PM by voncorn »

Offline NotePad

« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2014, 01:13:23 PM »
Labrie does come of as being lame sometimes. I love him on Awake and ToT, where he has lots of harsh moments and actually sounds like a rock or metal singer. But I often groan when I'm listening to a DT song and hear Labrie enter the song with his operatic and overly dramatic voice. It gets tiring and too much of the same.

I wonder what it would be like if they replaced him. Would they lose a lot of their fan base? Often when a popular band gets a new vocalist they're popularity drops significantly. With Ripper Owens, Judas Priest went from stadiums to small clubs. But that's not always the case. Look at Black Sabbath with Dio; I'm not sure about their crowds with Tony Martin.

If DT had to get a new singer, I'd love to see Michael Kiske. I know this would never happen though. But Kiske is very talented and today is as good as he was when he was younger. He can still hit those high notes and makes it look so easy.

Jorn Lande would be awesome! He said he would love to join an already established and successful band, so I could see him taking the offer. But I can't see DT actually offering him the chance. Lande's reputation is well known.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2014, 01:22:40 PM »
If you often groan while listening to DT, I don't know why you would listen to DT in the first place.  :facepalm:
To each his own I guess.

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2014, 01:22:54 PM »
Ritchie Kotzen  ;D just cos he did a great job with MP and the Winery Dogs.

Offline kiwiclapton

« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2014, 01:27:58 PM »
If you often groan while listening to DT, I don't know why you would listen to DT in the first place.  :facepalm:
To each his own I guess.

I agrees with you, that's what makes James so bloody good , he's a dirty tone at moments and dramatic most often. I never groan or gringe when I listen to James. But, each to his own.

Offline Xersiz

« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2014, 01:57:04 PM »
Damian Wilson, he is the vocalist for the band Headspace and Threshold, he creates amazing vocal melodies and would suit great with DT's sound;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwNw4XLYpKQ

Offline kiwiclapton

« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2014, 02:01:33 PM »
 :tup

JUST checked it out,

Offline LTE3

« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2014, 03:13:30 PM »
Actually would love to hear Russell Allen sing their songs, granted he can't hit the real hit stuff but I love his voice. I think Kelly "Sundown" Carpenter could handle it ok as well. Check out the band Darkology with Michael Harris.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2014, 11:38:15 PM »
I don't totally hate him, and i don't ACTUALLY groan. But i often feel he could do more at certain times. I want to see him be more aggressive. But i feel he over-emotes a lot. And I'm a big fan on Through Her Eyes, great song and performance.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2014, 07:13:09 AM »
It would really change the band in a dramatic way.  And it might even allow for them to explore new ground, musically.

My first choice would be Russell Allen

Next would be the best vocalist you've never of: Anders Engberg

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2014, 08:00:39 AM »
It would really change the band in a dramatic way.  And it might even allow for them to explore new ground, musically.

My first choice would be Russell Allen

Next would be the best vocalist you've never of: Anders Engberg

Russ would be an awesome fit for DT. He'd nail the more metal side (ToT) which JLB's voice never suited and the prog, and all the slower stuff.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2014, 12:39:33 PM »
Can Russell Allen hit the high notes like JL? I also get the impression he isn't as "classy" as JL. Michael Kiske would be absolutely perfect. They be well off if they got a replacement whose been in a power metal band.

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2014, 02:18:59 PM »
Can Russell Allen hit the high notes like JL? I also get the impression he isn't as "classy" as JL. Michael Kiske would be absolutely perfect. They be well off if they got a replacement whose been in a power metal band.

As high as James Labrie? I don't know, but i'm sure he can sing it beautifully, which Labrie can't, in my opinion. James' high notes are painful to hear.
And Allen has a very powerful voice. Singing is not just about how high can you reach :D