Author Topic: Hypothetically, who could replace James Labrie if he ever left?  (Read 26939 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Hypothetically, who could replace James Labrie if he ever left?
« Reply #175 on: August 21, 2021, 06:43:26 PM »
I've always thought Darroh Sudderth (from the band Fair To Midland) would be a perfect replacement, he is younger than the band but he has a great voice that can hit the highs and lows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeafcZClGu0
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 03:06:27 PM by ReaperKK »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2021, 07:48:04 PM »
I remember the ultimatum which does say they would consider a new voice. With that said, I love his voice but he cannot use his upper register like he used to. IF the band decided on a replacement Im sure we would all get used to it. I remember when they gave him the gig, Portnoy told me he sounded like a modern day Dennis Deyoung. Then I received a cassette from MP with the Atco demo in the mail and my jaw dropped.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 11:02:19 PM by Glasser »

Offline sylentman

« Reply #177 on: August 21, 2021, 09:46:17 PM »
Don’t think they should ever consider replacing JLB (while he can still keep going of course). Don’t know if anyone else has mentioned this in this post or in any other; but i’ve thought that at some point if it gets unsustainable for JLB to do a full show with decent performance or aging affects him more, they could go with two vocals maybe getting a woman to compliment or take those difficult ‘higher notes’ (both on new songs they may compose or in concerts with old songs like I&W, etc…). That way they keep their vocal identity while recovering range and/or adding new possibilities ;).

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #178 on: August 22, 2021, 12:58:03 AM »
I would like Andrea Casali of Icefish to have a shot at it. He has JLB's combo of range with gentleness.

He was in a band who won a Dream Theater contest called Astra. here is an example of a live performance with Astra.:

Save Another Day

Here is an example of a more recent live performance with Icefish.

The Pieces

It Begins

Paralyzed

Icefish has all members who I think would be good replacements to Dream Theater members who would retire.  :rollin
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 01:18:36 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #179 on: August 22, 2021, 01:57:02 AM »
I think the singer of Circus Maximus - Michael Eriksen - would be a good replacement.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #180 on: August 22, 2021, 03:27:13 AM »
In his prime yes.  He has the same type of classy smooth voice as JLB but I’m not sure he’s still at that level anymore.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #181 on: August 22, 2021, 05:36:43 AM »
Dino Jelusick is the name of the moment!! Although he is more on the harsh vocals side Russell Allen-like.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #182 on: August 22, 2021, 06:53:57 AM »
I remember the ultimatum which does say they would consider a new voice. With that said, I love his voice but he cannot use his upper register like he used to. IF the band decided on a replacement Im sure we would all get used to it. I remember when they gave him the gig, Portnoy told me he sounded like a modern day Dennis Deyoung. Then I received a cassette from MP with the Atco demo in the mail and my jaw dropped.

Yep, JLB's vocals were jaw-dropping in the 90's.  I remember getting into them thanks to Images and Words, and JLB's voice was one of the two things that grabbed me immediately (Kevin Moore's keys were the other).   

That said, I agree that his voice isn't nearly what it used to be, and he struggles a lot live now (too many clips out there of him struggling to see it any other way now, IMO), but losing him would still be detrimental to the band, IMO.  I'd hate for them to become another of those bands that goes the "let's hire a young guy who sounds like our old singer" route, just for the sake of milking a few more albums or tours.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2021, 06:19:19 PM »
If JLB were to leave, I’d take Brittney Hayes (Slayes) from Unleash The Archers.  For my money, she is the best rock singer on the planet right now.  She can write a decent melody too.

I simply cannot agree. I'd take the woman from Lost Domain over her, but neither is a good choice to join DT. That doesn't even make sense to me.

I’ve never heard of Lost Domain so I can’t compare the two singers.  Not sure why it wouldn’t make sense though purely on a vocal level.  I’m pretty sure Brittney could sing the hell out of any DT song.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #184 on: August 22, 2021, 06:28:29 PM »
I'd hate for them to become another of those bands that goes the "let's hire a young guy who sounds like our old singer" route, just for the sake of milking a few more albums or tours.

I respectfully disagree big time here. Replacing JLB with someone who can actually sing better and sound alike would be great IMO. It's not like DT would be losing a charismatic front man :mehlin. JLB, for all his good points has been the weak link in DT for a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGG time IMO. While I'll always respect what he has done, I don't think the band should call it quits as soon as they feel JLB can no longer do it.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #185 on: August 22, 2021, 08:21:23 PM »
While I'll always respect what he has done, I don't think the band should call it quits as soon as they feel JLB can no longer do it.

That's it for me as well. And I feel that way for every member, not just JLB. I like to think of bands as sports teams, I don't mind personnel changes as long as they help mantain quality and add longevity to the team/band.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #186 on: August 22, 2021, 09:53:20 PM »
I'd hate for them to become another of those bands that goes the "let's hire a young guy who sounds like our old singer" route, just for the sake of milking a few more albums or tours.

I respectfully disagree big time here. Replacing JLB with someone who can actually sing better and sound alike would be great IMO. It's not like DT would be losing a charismatic front man :mehlin. JLB, for all his good points has been the weak link in DT for a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGG time IMO. While I'll always respect what he has done, I don't think the band should call it quits as soon as they feel JLB can no longer do it.

And I respectfully disagree big time with you. Like it or not, JLB is the glue that holds DT together (and I'm willing to debate anyone on this) and the day that he leaves (which is not gonna happen) is the day DT is over. 

It's not even about having a singer that can pull off the high notes on stage because you can choose between thousands of them, but having the voice that actually made DT what they are today. He is healthy, he performs the hell out of his voice each night and unlike you I do find him to be oddly charismatic in his own way. DT has *never* been a band that's about stage presence, with the small exception being the strong stage antics MP always brought with him but that never were enough to fill the void left by 3 bandmates that are fairly static and a singer that is not a jumper or a runner.

Do you think that if he was as much as the weak link you say he is JP wouldn't have parted ways with him by now? Derek Sherinian was a perfectly good fit for the band but he was no Rudess, and very swiftly the band parted ways with him. LaBrie gets far too many blows, way more than he deserves. I'm pretty aware that he's not what he used to be (nor he needs to), but it's funny to assume that we know better than JP on this matter because we certainly don't. I, for one, am perfectly comfortable with DT as it is now and as it's probably going to stay until they call it quits.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 10:01:15 PM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: August 22, 2021, 10:15:06 PM »
I like to think of bands as sports teams, I don't mind personnel changes as long as they help mantain quality and add longevity to the team/band.

Different people view bands differently. I am sure this analogy works well for many. It's about the brand, the name, and the music. For others, it is about a group of guys/gals who come together to create something bigger than they could achieve individually, and that collection of individuals means more than the name on the album cover.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2021, 12:24:47 AM »
I like to think of bands as sports teams, I don't mind personnel changes as long as they help mantain quality and add longevity to the team/band.

Different people view bands differently. I am sure this analogy works well for many. It's about the brand, the name, and the music. For others, it is about a group of guys/gals who come together to create something bigger than they could achieve individually, and that collection of individuals means more than the name on the album cover.

I think both views are good, and we all have our favorite band lineups and musicians that we prefer over the others. But bands change, people leave, move on, get tired and so on. I think a band should be able to continue if the rest of the guys want to keep doing it. Also, these changes are usually one by one through the years, it's not like JP wakes up one day and decides to fire all the other DT members and continue with some unknown crew. As long as changes happen smoothly and in the right terms, I'm fine with them.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline JLa

« Reply #189 on: August 23, 2021, 01:16:15 AM »
Floor Jansen

We need a female to hit those soaring 90's vocal lines. No-one better than the Dutch goddess.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #190 on: August 23, 2021, 07:25:09 AM »

And I respectfully disagree big time with you. Like it or not, JLB is the glue that holds DT together (and I'm willing to debate anyone on this) and the day that he leaves (which is not gonna happen) is the day DT is over. 

It's not even about having a singer that can pull off the high notes on stage because you can choose between thousands of them, but having the voice that actually made DT what they are today. He is healthy, he performs the hell out of his voice each night and unlike you I do find him to be oddly charismatic in his own way. DT has *never* been a band that's about stage presence, with the small exception being the strong stage antics MP always brought with him but that never were enough to fill the void left by 3 bandmates that are fairly static and a singer that is not a jumper or a runner.

Do you think that if he was as much as the weak link you say he is JP wouldn't have parted ways with him by now? Derek Sherinian was a perfectly good fit for the band but he was no Rudess, and very swiftly the band parted ways with him. LaBrie gets far too many blows, way more than he deserves. I'm pretty aware that he's not what he used to be (nor he needs to), but it's funny to assume that we know better than JP on this matter because we certainly don't. I, for one, am perfectly comfortable with DT as it is now and as it's probably going to stay until they call it quits.

I'd like to hear more about this "glue theory".  I'm a James fan - like Kev, it was his voice that largely got me into the band - but I think they can and do go on with a different singer if the fit is right and the will is there.   If there is glue, it is "PetrucciTM Brand Super Adhesives".

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2021, 09:25:00 AM »
Dino Jelusick for me.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2021, 10:49:59 AM »
Floor Jansen

We need a female to hit those soaring 90's vocal lines. No-one better than the Dutch goddess.

Interesting choice, she might be amazing in DT.  She's just so damn good.

I thought Ross Jennings did a really solid job doing DT with MP's Shattered Fortress, he might be able to do the job well in the band if it ever came to it, which I don't expect.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #193 on: August 23, 2021, 11:37:52 AM »
I just don't understand why people keep suggesting female choices. This isn't Nightwish or Epica, they've been a male fronted band for 36 years so far... they'd definitely get another guy if they needed a new singer.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: August 23, 2021, 11:59:53 AM »

I just don't understand why people keep suggesting female choices. This isn't Nightwish or Epica, they've been a male fronted band for 36 years so far... they'd definitely get another guy if they needed a new singer.

Floor Jansen has the power, skill, and versatility to pull off all the different sides of JLB's performances in a way that few singers, male or female could accomplish IMO. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: August 23, 2021, 12:19:26 PM »

I'd guess if this happens, it would 99% chance it would be a male voice.  Are there any examples of bands replacing a singer with someone of a different gender? 

Having said that, if you saw how Floor took control over the previous two singer's songs in Nightwish, you might at least consider the idea that she might actually perform really well with DT.  It's all hypothetical, so I don't see the idea of this being so odd or wrong.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #196 on: August 23, 2021, 12:40:03 PM »

I'd guess if this happens, it would 99% chance it would be a male voice.  Are there any examples of bands replacing a singer with someone of a different gender? 

Into Eternity, The Gathering, Arch Enemy, off the top of my head. I think there's more but I'd have to look it up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #197 on: August 23, 2021, 12:44:37 PM »

Having said that, if you saw how Floor took control over the previous two singer's songs in Nightwish, you might at least consider the idea that she might actually perform really well with DT.  It's all hypothetical, so I don't see the idea of this being so odd or wrong.

Oh, definitely. Floor is one of my favorite vocalists out there :metal I just find it funny that people suggest things like that, but as Adami pointed out, it's happened before, so what do I know? :P

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: August 23, 2021, 12:58:21 PM »

Into Eternity, The Gathering, Arch Enemy, off the top of my head. I think there's more but I'd have to look it up.

Interesting, I guess I don't know these bands that well as I only know of the females being replaced with another female  :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #199 on: August 23, 2021, 01:02:39 PM »

Oceans of Slumber

Offline Glasser

« Reply #200 on: August 23, 2021, 01:42:44 PM »
Unless I missed a mention of her, Ida Haukland from Triosphere is my personal favorite female metal vocalist, and she's quite the bassist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pazCfqD7kP0
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 01:48:43 PM by Glasser »

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #201 on: August 23, 2021, 03:48:38 PM »
Lee Douglas from the band Anathema

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #202 on: August 23, 2021, 03:50:38 PM »
I don't have anything to post other than the fact that I'm a dick.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #203 on: August 23, 2021, 05:36:56 PM »
JLB’s voice isn’t what it used to be. Definitely live, but in the studio as well. I’m thankful that I got to see him live when his voice was top notch.

With that said, I still look forward to seeing them live when they tour.  And I would never  pay money to see Dream Theater with anyone else besides James. Never.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #204 on: August 23, 2021, 06:21:00 PM »

Floor Jansen has the power, skill, and versatility to pull off all the different sides of JLB's performances in a way that few singers, male or female could accomplish IMO.

I know I’m in a huge minority here but Floor Jansen does nothing for me at all in the limited stuff I’ve heard from Nightwish.  I don’t get what all the fuss is about.  She seems more of an Symphonic Opera style singer from what I’ve heard which is not really DT.  I suggested Brittney Slayes as she is more of a rock/metal vocalist.  UTA aren’t really the typical Female Fronted band symphonic band.  They are a metal band with some prog tendencies and she can sing everything from smooth pretty celtic melody to full on Tate screams.  I think she’s versatile enough to do the whole range of DT styles whilst not turning them into your typical female fronted sounding band.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #205 on: August 23, 2021, 07:52:17 PM »

I know I’m in a huge minority here but Floor Jansen does nothing for me at all in the limited stuff I’ve heard from Nightwish.  I don’t get what all the fuss is about.  She seems more of an Symphonic Opera style singer from what I’ve heard which is not really DT.  I suggested Brittney Slayes as she is more of a rock/metal vocalist.  UTA aren’t really the typical Female Fronted band symphonic band.  They are a metal band with some prog tendencies and she can sing everything from smooth pretty celtic melody to full on Tate screams.  I think she’s versatile enough to do the whole range of DT styles whilst not turning them into your typical female fronted sounding band.
While Floor Jansen is a classically trained opera style singer, she can (and has) handle just about every style out there, including harsh vocals. She is more than capable of fronting just about any band.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline JLa

« Reply #206 on: August 24, 2021, 06:04:33 AM »

Must ... resist ... spamming thread with Floor videos ...  :lol

Just to be clear - I'd much rather have JLB than her in DT, but if JLB were to be replaced for whatever reason, let's just say I think she should be invited to an audition. :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #207 on: August 24, 2021, 06:49:03 AM »

it didn't happen because she turned it down, but Patty Smythe was Ed's first choice to replace Dave after Roth left.  I would've loved to have heard that.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: August 24, 2021, 09:04:55 AM »

Just to be clear - I'd much rather have JLB than her in DT, but if JLB were to be replaced for whatever reason, let's just say I think she should be invited to an audition. :)

She would be foolish to leave NW for DT IMO though.  But we are talking hypothetical, I'd love to see her sing a DT song OOC.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #209 on: August 24, 2021, 09:54:37 AM »

She would be foolish to leave NW for DT IMO though.  But we are talking hypothetical, I'd love to see her sing a DT song OOC.

From a financial/mainsteam standpoint, sure, but Nightwish and "permanent lead singer" just don't go well in the same sentence. The'll definitely replace her at some point :lol