Author Topic: Hypothetically, who could replace James Labrie if he ever left?  (Read 26936 times)

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Hypothetically, who could replace James Labrie if he ever left?
« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2014, 02:59:59 AM »
Don't know whether this has been posted before, but i would suggest Devin Townsend has failed his audition miserably, even with the cookie monster shorts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxKKI233rHE&list=UUxrUYiLBrluBqYo1wJidBAQ
 :o

Offline robwebster

« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2014, 05:11:00 AM »
Don't know whether this has been posted before, but i would suggest Devin Townsend has failed his audition miserably, even with the cookie monster shorts.
"We've got someone who can think for you instead, and he sounds just like... James LaBrie!"

That wasn't anywhere near as badass as Devin Townsend singing Burning My Soul should have been, but the more I see that, the less disappointed I am in what it isn't, and the more I enjoy what it is.

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2014, 11:28:04 AM »
What are you talking about? That's fucking awesome!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:34:51 AM by Konrad »

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #143 on: March 16, 2014, 11:31:28 AM »

Holy shit that is terrible!  :rollin
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2014, 03:51:03 AM »
For all of you who think that is terrible: just read what robwebster said. That's it, thank you :)

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2014, 05:29:54 AM »
Russel Allen

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2014, 01:12:47 PM »
Yeah... Roy Kahn   :metal

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2014, 07:10:19 PM »

Yep. That would be a MP to MM type upgrade; it's a different level. By the way, what happened to him?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2014, 07:12:13 PM »
It must just be me but I can't imagine Khan doing DT's catalogue  justice at all - and I really love his voice.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2014, 07:22:12 PM »
It must just be me but I can't imagine Khan doing DT's catalogue  justice at all - and I really love his voice.

He sounds nothing at all like JLB so it would fundamentally alter the impact of the songs. It is totally beyond question that he is technically better. In my opinion, his voice is just a better timbre too. And he isn't the type of singer who sounds from a particular era, and thus outdated 25 years later.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2014, 08:55:59 AM »
For all of you who think that is terrible: just read what robwebster said. That's it, thank you :)
Can I say that was terrible, a train-wreck AND awesome? :biggrin:

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2014, 01:49:34 PM »

Yep. That would be a MP to MM type upgrade; it's a different level. By the way, what happened to him?

I'm sure the hardcore Kamelot fans would know.  I just recently discovered them and him.  From what I've read though, it seems he has some anxiety and depression type issues, that caused him to leave the band/industry. 

Offline adastra

« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2014, 05:18:52 AM »

I'm sure the hardcore Kamelot fans would know.  I just recently discovered them and him.  From what I've read though, it seems he has some anxiety and depression type issues, that caused him to leave the band/industry.

He got depressed and was pretty worn out from touring.. Decided to leave music business because of health and Belief related issues.   That's what I heard.
While listening to his final wacken gig with kamelot, you can hear how fucked up he was..
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2014, 06:18:52 AM »
Don't have time to re-read the thread to see if his name's already been mentioned (probably), but I just saw a singer last night for the first time, who's name I've heard, but I've never heard his music, that would be an awesome replacement for JL: Tony Harnell (of TNT fame). The guy sang effortlessly and hit and held notes for an unbelievable amount of time (including part of an acoustic cover of Heart's Crazy on You, and a full acoustic cover of Boston's More Than a Feeling). Amazing performance and I'm gonna be checking out his music in the future. Wow!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2014, 06:26:17 AM »
Don't have time to re-read the thread to see if his name's already been mentioned (probably), but I just saw a singer last night for the first time, who's name I've heard, but I've never heard his music, that would be an awesome replacement for JL: Tony Harnell (of TNT fame). The guy sang effortlessly and hit and held notes for an unbelievable amount of time (including part of an acoustic cover of Heart's Crazy on You, and a full acoustic cover of Boston's More Than a Feeling). Amazing performance and I'm gonna be checking out his music in the future. Wow!

I don't think he has been mentioned but he'd be about top of my list too - he can hit notes we marvel at effortlessly. 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #155 on: March 29, 2014, 03:38:58 AM »

Thirded! I absolutely LOVE Tony Harnell as a singer. Saw a vid of him some 7 or 8 years ago where he sang songs from Tell No Tales. Man he sang them just as well if not better than on the album, high-pitched notes included. Just amazing!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #156 on: March 29, 2014, 08:12:00 AM »

He got depressed and was pretty worn out from touring.. Decided to leave music business because of health and Belief related issues.   That's what I heard.
While listening to his final wacken gig with kamelot, you can hear how fucked up he was..

That's too bad; he was a rarity as a vocalist in heavy music. I found out about him by accident. I was looking for videos on Epica's singer who is also good, and I remember seeing both of them doing a Kamelot song. I'm not a Kamelot fan but I'll listen to them to hear his work. I remember watching some of his performances from that live DVD and thinking "now THIS is how it should be done."

Did he have any good solo work?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2021, 11:17:37 AM »
I’m glad I saw this post before starting a new one. JLB live is the weak link obviously as vocal chords cannot be replaced like guitar strings. I still enjoy his vocals in studio, that said, I wouldn’t be crushed if they went with new blood that can nail it all live. If I had to choose a new voice here would be my guys.
1) Tommy Karavik
2) David Readman
3) Russel Allen
4) Will Shaw
5) Ross Jennings (MP would love that, ha!)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #158 on: August 21, 2021, 12:17:03 PM »
Rick Castellano.    He did an amazing job on Michael Romeo's solo album, and I could imagine him singing DT songs.
I hope Labrie is with DT to the end though..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Volante99

« Reply #159 on: August 21, 2021, 12:28:23 PM »
It’s been said a million times and I’ll say it again- JLB is the voice of DT. For better or worse he gives the band their distinctive sound. Lose him and it’s basically a different band, to me. Losing JP would be huge from a writing standpoint but there are a handful of players out there who can mimic that style/tone. If JLB goes, I think they should call it a day on DT and just start a new band.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #160 on: August 21, 2021, 12:38:24 PM »
Nope,  DT would not be DT without JP.. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Volante99

« Reply #161 on: August 21, 2021, 12:45:56 PM »
Nope,  DT would not be DT without JP..

I agree with that. But I ALSO feel the same about JLB, and I think a case could be made that losing him would alter the sound/feel of the band every bit as much as losing JP.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #162 on: August 21, 2021, 02:10:28 PM »
JP is truly the only irreplaceable DT member IMO. He has been the main music/lyric writer since the very beginning.

Back to the OP, if James ever left and needed to be replaced, the new vocalist should be on the operatic side and not a "tough guy vocals" singer like current Russell Allen, for example.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Volante99

« Reply #163 on: August 21, 2021, 02:17:13 PM »

Back to the OP, if James ever left and needed to be replaced, the new vocalist should be on the operatic side and not a "tough guy vocals" singer like current Russell Allen, for example.

I agree there. Too many people recommend power metal-type singers and that just isn’t LaBrie or DT style IMO.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #164 on: August 21, 2021, 02:22:45 PM »
Mike Portnoy

Offline Glasser

« Reply #165 on: August 21, 2021, 02:35:09 PM »
Geddy Lee.  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2021, 02:42:19 PM »
If JLB were to leave, I’d take Brittney Hayes (Slayes) from Unleash The Archers.  For my money, she is the best rock singer on the planet right now.  She can write a decent melody too.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2021, 02:43:37 PM »
I can't think of anyone. James has such a unique tone and feel.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #168 on: August 21, 2021, 02:47:47 PM »
James is DT's secret weapon. He's the one that really humanizes their music.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #169 on: August 21, 2021, 02:58:19 PM »
I love Serj Tankian's voice but I don't think it will fit in here.

I'm sure (if it ever happen) they will find an unknown monster out there in youtube, like Ritchie Blackmore did with Ronnie Romero.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #170 on: August 21, 2021, 04:10:50 PM »
If JLB were to leave, I’d take Brittney Hayes (Slayes) from Unleash The Archers.  For my money, she is the best rock singer on the planet right now.  She can write a decent melody too.

Now that would be a twist. I've heard some covers of DT songs with female vocals, and these songs sound great with the female tone. specifically Images and Words songs.

Brittney would be fantastic for it, if they were to go a different route for a new singer.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Mike Mills take over the reigns. He might be the only one I can imagine doing Take The Time and sounding good hitting those notes.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #171 on: August 21, 2021, 04:53:35 PM »
In the past they really considered to send LaBrie home (Lifting Shadows biography) but they desided he is the tone and voice of the band. Since Dominici he has shown variety on plenty of tracks and I do think he is irreplaceable, being so many years in. If he would leave now, at this age and in the fall of there carreer, I think (and honestly hope) they close the chapter.

A Trujillo-move would be painful and Dream Theater unworthy.

I disagree that he is not well performing live. Of course his voice has aged and therefore more boundaries, but he still gets me thrilled everytime.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #172 on: August 21, 2021, 05:31:47 PM »
In the past they really considered to send LaBrie home (Lifting Shadows biography) but they desided he is the tone and voice of the band. Since Dominici he has shown variety on plenty of tracks and I do think he is irreplaceable, being so many years in. If he would leave now, at this age and in the fall of there carreer, I think (and honestly hope) they close the chapter.

A Trujillo-move would be painful and Dream Theater unworthy.

I disagree that he is not well performing live. Of course his voice has aged and therefore more boundaries, but he still gets me thrilled everytime.

He also wasn't putting in effort and was given an ultimatum to get his act together and better his voice or get the boot. Glad he took it to heart and understood how whatever he was doing was having an effect on his vocals. You can hear it during the 6DOIT shows, and each tour up to the 8vm tour his live vocals really improved to where he is able to give some of those more complicated songs a try like Innocence Faded on Score.

It's very unfortunate that JLB is showing signs of aging, but at the same time, the band is utilizing JLB's vocals to compliment his capabilities now. I personally applaud JLB for doing those Images and Words and Beyond shows due to how different his vocal capabilities are today.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #173 on: August 21, 2021, 05:39:22 PM »

I simply cannot agree. I'd take the woman from Lost Domain over her, but neither is a good choice to join DT. That doesn't even make sense to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: August 21, 2021, 06:25:49 PM »
I am sure there is some 17 year old dude on TikTok who could hit all the notes, and even do it with some sort of regularity on tour. That doesn't mean he could replace James.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'