Author Topic: Hello from Omega and H  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Ħ

Hello from Omega and H
« on: January 13, 2014, 02:25:26 PM »
Just checking in. (No I am not returning.)

I'm currently posting from the library at Biola University (where I am attending grad school, and am privileged to take a class with William Lane Craig on philosophy of time...there is a pending debate with theoretical cosmologist and physicist Sean Carroll in February, check it out).

Things are going good. Hope everyone is well.

And Omega/SovereignDream/Prometheus says hi (though he wants me to let Rumborak know that he doesn't lift.)

Peace!  :coolio
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 02:52:30 PM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Hello from Omega and H
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 03:26:42 PM »
Good to hear you're doing well, Hayden! That's awesome and it sounds way over my head. The only debate of time I have is whether Ocarina of Time is the best Zelda.  :lol Take care dooders.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 05:52:39 AM »
Good to hear from you, buddy.  I'm glad to hear things are going well for you.   :D
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 09:09:28 AM »
Hey there, H!

(though he wants me to let Rumborak know that he doesn't lift.)

Oh, trust me, I can lift  :hat

But, I just have to ask, are you becoming a minister now?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 03:28:51 PM »
Hey there, H!

(though he wants me to let Rumborak know that he doesn't lift.)

Oh, trust me, I can lift  :hat
We quite hoped that your reaction would have been more abrasive. Drat! I was itching to cross swords with you once again.

But, I just have to ask, are you becoming a minister now?
I don't imagine I would do that any time in the near future, if at all. That takes a unique set of skills to say the least. No, I am earning an MA in Philosophy and hope to get a PhD after that. Hooray for student loans and years of paying off debt!

Totally irrelevant...but are you seeing anyone?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 03:50:40 PM »
wait, are you literally with Omega?

I would love to meet you for lunch when/where it is convenient for you...just hollar

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 04:18:24 PM »
Yes, I am literally with Omega. Because I am Omega.

No. But we are in the same class, though he is just sitting in. He's less of a troll IRL...but only slightly.

I do have our lunch date in mind, I haven't forgotten. Things have just been so busy.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 05:05:48 PM »
Yes, I am literally with Omega. Because I am Omega.

I literally saw my life flash before my eye :rollins as I read that

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 05:19:48 PM »
Hey H, good to see you back!

Pro-tip: Maybe you're too passionate about your field to listen to me now, but don't go in to debt for a humanities PhD. Just please don't. It's easier to get a spot in the NBA than a tenured academic gig in the humanities. And even if you get one of them research fellowship or teaching assistant rides, you still might not want to do it. After all, your time is your ultimate investment, right?

Just giving you some honesty that you won't necessarily get from your professors.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 05:35:49 PM »
I would offer some advice as well, but unfortunately, H decided he doesn't like me anymore at some point.  Not sure why.  Bummer, too.  John Petrucci was just asking me if I was going to bring "that chick that came with you to the last after party" when they swing through town on tour again.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 06:00:51 PM »
Hey H, good to see you back!

Pro-tip: Maybe you're too passionate about your field to listen to me now, but don't go in to debt for a humanities PhD. Just please don't. It's easier to get a spot in the NBA than a tenured academic gig in the humanities. And even if you get one of them research fellowship or teaching assistant rides, you still might not want to do it. After all, your time is your ultimate investment, right?

Just giving you some honesty that you won't necessarily get from your professors.
Thank you for the advice (and for the "welcome back").

I would offer some advice as well, but unfortunately, H decided he doesn't like me anymore at some point.  Not sure why.  Bummer, too.  John Petrucci was just asking me if I was going to bring "that chick that came with you to the last after party" when they swing through town on tour again.
That's because every time I get around to liking you again, you fling another poopy insult my way, you...you...you...you stupid idiot.  :biggrin:

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 06:03:59 PM »
reported
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 07:08:32 PM »
am privileged to take a class with William Lane Craig on philosophy of time

I'm so sorry.

Seriously though, sounds like this is all a great opportunity for you.  Study hard and enjoy being more educated than I'll probably ever be. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 05:49:08 AM »
Forgive my ignorance, but what does one do with advanced degrees in philosophy?  Besides become a philosophy professor?

Whatever lies in your future, I wish you nothing but the best.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 10:55:38 AM »
I would too suggest to run dual-track with another subject at least during undergrad, so that you have something to fall back on. Getting a PhD in philosophy from a university that's in the bottom third nationally (according to Forbes) puts your later job prospects close to nil.
Am I correct in assuming Craig is the reason you're going to Biola?

Either way, best of luck anyway. College time will be one of the best times in your life.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:04:13 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 12:35:04 PM »
I would too suggest to run dual-track with another subject at least during undergrad, so that you have something to fall back on. Getting a PhD in philosophy from a university that's in the bottom third nationally (according to Forbes) puts your later job prospects close to nil.

Not to dampen the mood or anything, but this is also worth considering.  The job market for academics in America is piss-poor right now, and the humanities have been hit the hardest.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »
You're posting, so you're back. Welcome back.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 02:06:18 PM »
Great, now that you've said that we'll never hear from him again!  :censored

:P

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 07:50:36 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but what does one do with advanced degrees in philosophy?  Besides become a philosophy professor?
Whatever lies in your future, I wish you nothing but the best.
Besides becoming a philosophy professor, there is nothing. I understand that many people with a PhD in philosophy will go on to pursue additional degrees (a PhD in physics, say), but this is usually a natural extension of your area of specialization.
Am I correct in assuming Craig is the reason you're going to Biola?

Either way, best of luck anyway. College time will be one of the best times in your life.
Thanks for the advice. I did get my BA in philosophy from UC Davis, so I'm in Biola's graduate philosophy program, Talbot, which is pretty solid. (I don't know enough about the rest of the university to speak to the poor Forbes ranking. But Talbot has a good reputation for their philosophy program.) Craig is the initial drawing factor for most including myself, though he only teaches once a year for two weeks. However I am still happy I'm here for other reasons. The idea, though, is to get a PhD at a different university when it comes time to move on.

Omega, however, is looking to get a BA in Philosophy and then go to law school. Definitely the better option from a financial standpoint! But that is really not what I would like to do. I want to go for the PhD. But as an absolute fallback if I do not get into a PhD program, I am prepared to go to law school. Apparently philosophy majors dominate the standardized tests.

But I'm definitely not back. And of course I wish you all the best, too.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 08:04:17 PM »
Greetings & Salutations... glad to hear things are going well.