Author Topic: Is Pot a Gateway Drug?  (Read 7954 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Is Pot a Gateway Drug?
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2014, 10:50:51 PM »
 :'(  I only have 23 stoner buddies.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2014, 11:05:42 PM »
:'(  I only have 23 stoner buddies.

I said I was sorry I got sober. Sheesh man!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2014, 11:13:53 PM »
That's alright.  I still got this guy:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nODi6OECzs
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2014, 12:49:30 AM »
 :rollin

tapsmiled, that was kind of a douchey thing to say. Potheads get on my nerves a lot (and I live in Colorado, an entire state that reeks of the stuff), but I would never make such assumptions about a person just because s/he smokes. There is a huuuge difference between an adult who smokes weed all day instead of working and an adult who occasionally partakes in pot because s/he enjoys it. Are you absolutely certain that everyone who smokes pot is doing it because they don't know how to deal with the world and haven't grown up? What if they just enjoy getting high occasionally, like some people enjoy getting drunk occasionally? No difference to me.

Not that it matters to you, because you don't seem to be able to admit that your opinion could be flawed  ;)
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2014, 02:30:07 AM »
What about those who toke up because of chronic pain? Due to severe osteoarthritis I must occassionally take vicodin. Some days up to four. Some days only one, and usually I can go three or four days at a stretch without taking any. I havent smoked ganja in a very long time, but I tell you, if my state allowed medical marijuana, you can bet Id seriously consider it over the damn opiates I have to take.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2014, 02:53:54 AM »
Just my opinion, but I think adults that smoke pot are fucking idiots. Grow up and learn to deal with the world like an adult.

Yeah, don't blast me. It's just my opinion.

I got baked on NYE. The last time I did it was over a year before that. I'm very much an adult with three young children who I adore and I'm a great father to. I work hard, own my own house and I'm studying towards a masters degree.

You're a pleb for over generalising. Just my opinion but I found your post really offensive. I don't use MJ as a way to cope with anything. I use it as a way to laugh my head off and eat too much chocolate when it's just my brother and I.

To the OP I'm going say most definitely no. You only ever do things that you already gave yourself permission to do.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2014, 05:08:18 AM »
Just my opinion, but I think adults that smoke pot are fucking idiots. Grow up and learn to deal with the world like an adult.

Wow. That's a pretty clueless remark. How does an adult deal with the world? I'm almost 30 and smoke pot every day. I have a full time job(at a bank), an engineering degree, and own a house. How is it that I don't deal with the world like an adult? Clearly the education system, mortgage brokers, and the bank I work at think I act sufficiently like an adult.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2014, 05:27:49 AM »
Pussy.

I'm with RJ.  It's a combination .  Some people have that addictive personality.

Hell for me it's food.  It's not a drug but what I intake is not good for me.
Chicken nuggets are a gateway to bacon double cheeseburgers!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2014, 05:34:14 AM »
Never had a problem with the pot.  But the story does not end there.  There are lots of other things that can be that gateway and lead you down a road you don't want to go down, and I speak from personal experience.  I shudder to think of the things I went through and the darkness I had to claw my way out of to leave that all behind me.  My gateway was definitely the pan.  It started with just a nonstick skillet.  But it didn't stop there, oh no.  The details of just how it increased, and what led me down the particular path I walked.  But by the end of it, I was doing several woks a day, and would even go for the occasional cauldron when I could get it.  Those were bad times, and I had to hit rock bottom before I snapped out of it.  Luckily, I got the help I needed and was able to clean up my act.
At least you never moved on to dutch ovens! Those are bad news!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2014, 05:38:31 AM »

Don't blast you? How about not being so abrasive? Usually people who judge so harshly have issues as well, that  they don't deal with and they don't use the same standard of measure for themselves. Just sayin...
Pussy.

I'm with RJ.  It's a combination .  Some people have that addictive personality.

Hell for me it's food.  It's not a drug but what I intake is not good for me.

Actually all a drug does is create a chemical reactions that can alter you or create addictions.  Some foods do too

Tick does call cleavage a drug...   :angel:
It is!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2014, 06:30:20 AM »
I can only speak about personal experience.  For me, Pot was a gateway drug.  I would have not just started taking hallucinogens, coke and opiates for the hell of it.  Pot use for me was an escape, it was my coping mechanism as a kid.  In my mid teens I needed more than just pot.  Everyone's different and I envy folks who have smoked for years and are able to do it in a social setting, with no  cross addiction or "gateway" issues.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2014, 06:47:25 AM »

Just my opinion, but I think that this was one of the most ignorant posts I've ever seen on these boards. Grow up and discuss topics such as this like an adult.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2014, 07:54:44 AM »
Wow, go to sleep and wake up to a shitstorm. I'm sorry you folks can't deal with someone having an opinion that differs from your own. I spent several years involved in the local music scene, and yes, perhaps my sample size of dozens is somewhat restricted to pothead musicians, but nearly every person I have dealt with who smoked did so regularly, not the random blunt here or there.  And yes, the vast majority of that group, whenever faced with adversity, turned to pot.  Get pissed, go smoke.  Long day, go smoke.  Got in a fight with a girl, go smoke.

I find it hysterical that people get so touchy about someone else's opinion.  I didn't call a single person or post out from this or any thread.  I made a generalization based upon my own personal experiences.  Sue me!!!  How about this, if you don't like what I say in this or any other thread, move on to the next post or topic. I don't call people out for the inane, ridiculous things that they might think because those things are, in fact, their opinion.

How about this....let's start a thread where we dictate what people think?  I think that is a great idea!!  Oh wait, I stated my opinion again....here we go.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2014, 07:57:54 AM »
I can only speak about personal experience.  For me, Pot was a gateway drug.  I would have not just started taking hallucinogens, coke and opiates for the hell of it.  Pot use for me was an escape, it was my coping mechanism as a kid.  In my mid teens I needed more than just pot.  Everyone's different and I envy folks who have smoked for years and are able to do it in a social setting, with no  cross addiction or "gateway" issues.
That's me in a nut shell. (oh no I'm in a nut shell. how did I get here?) I guess the general opinion is, ts our addictive personality traits and the pot use had nothing to do with trying other drugs. I don't agree, but who knows?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2014, 07:58:53 AM »
Wow, go to sleep and wake up to a shitstorm. I'm sorry you folks can't deal with someone having an opinion that differs from your own. I spent several years involved in the local music scene, and yes, perhaps my sample size of dozens is somewhat restricted to pothead musicians, but nearly every person I have dealt with who smoked did so regularly, not the random blunt here or there.  And yes, the vast majority of that group, whenever faced with adversity, turned to pot.  Get pissed, go smoke.  Long day, go smoke.  Got in a fight with a girl, go smoke.

I find it hysterical that people get so touchy about someone else's opinion.  I didn't call a single person or post out from this or any thread.  I made a generalization based upon my own personal experiences.  Sue me!!!  How about this, if you don't like what I say in this or any other thread, move on to the next post or topic. I don't call people out for the inane, ridiculous things that they might think because those things are, in fact, their opinion.

How about this....let's start a thread where we dictate what people think?  I think that is a great idea!!  Oh wait, I stated my opinion again....here we go.
Stating something is just your opinion doesn't shield you from disagreement or the criticism of others.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2014, 08:04:25 AM »
You're right, but why should my opinion which is, apparently, so contrary to others automatically open me up to criticism?  Am I not entitled to have my own thoughts on a subject?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2014, 08:07:31 AM »
You're right, but why should my opinion which is, apparently, so contrary to others automatically open me up to criticism?  Am I not entitled to have my own thoughts on a subject?
As I have learned over the years...its all in the delivery. When you state your opinion in that manner you are bound to insult people unknowingly.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2014, 08:10:13 AM »
Well if your opinion is just a generalization that you've based off your small scope on it, then yeah, it does open you up to that.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2014, 08:14:26 AM »
And I can accept that others may not like what I say, but by looking at the responses, you would think that I went on some long diatribe, naming names, and insulting families.

I happen to think drug use is foolish and stupid; I put pot in that same category.  I think those who were so easily offended should consider why someone else's opinion matters so much.

I actually support legalization. Even though I don't relate to drug users, I know that people are going to do what they want regardless of legality.  I may not agree with what others do, but it is not my place to either.  I can accept that not everyone is the same...opinions and all.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2014, 08:18:05 AM »
Well if your opinion is just a generalization that you've based off your small scope on it, then yeah, it does open you up to that.

Yet my "small scope" seemed, at least based upon the multiple ensuing responses, to be a topic of discussion since people couldn't believe that I knew dozens of people that were potheads. Not 23. Dozens.

So is it safe to say that I am the only person on this board to make broad generalizations based upon personal experience?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2014, 08:23:10 AM »
And I can accept that others may not like what I say, but by looking at the responses, you would think that I went on some long diatribe, naming names, and insulting families.

I happen to think drug use is foolish and stupid; I put pot in that same category.  I think those who were so easily offended should consider why someone else's opinion matters so much.

I actually support legalization. Even though I don't relate to drug users, I know that people are going to do what they want regardless of legality.  I may not agree with what others do, but it is not my place to either.  I can accept that not everyone is the same...opinions and all.
If you had just said..."I happen to think drug use is foolish and stupid" no remarks would have been forthcoming. You chose to say..."t I think adults that smoke pot are fucking idiots"
That's a bit much, imo.

but whatever, its not the end of the world. Lets just move on shall we.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2014, 08:34:36 AM »
Tick, I'm all for moving on, but I don't necessarily believe that everything has to be so politically correct. Opinions are like assholes; everyone's got 'em and most of them stink.  Why should I have to temper responses out of fear of offending others?  Ouch, I called people a name; perhaps the potheads aren't the only ones that need to grow up.  I'm not being intentionally abrasive (and that was not my intent before), but I think in an open forum, it is understandable that people will have dissenting views.

Here, I'll satiate others' delicate sensibilities:  "I think the more than 23 marijuana smoking people I have met in the 42 years of my life are complete doodoo heads".  Was that specific enough without being overly offensive?

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2014, 08:39:48 AM »
If I judged you on what I thought of someone else would that be fair?
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2014, 08:46:21 AM »
Tick, I'm all for moving on, but I don't necessarily believe that everything has to be so politically correct. Opinions are like assholes; everyone's got 'em and most of them stink.  Why should I have to temper responses out of fear of offending others?  Ouch, I called people a name; perhaps the potheads aren't the only ones that need to grow up.  I'm not being intentionally abrasive (and that was not my intent before), but I think in an open forum, it is understandable that people will have dissenting views.

Here, I'll satiate others' delicate sensibilities:  "I think the more than 23 marijuana smoking people I have met in the 42 years of my life are complete doodoo heads".  Was that specific enough without being overly offensive?
but here is the thing...if I am a 49 year man that chooses to smoke pot on occasion that doesn't make me a fucking idiot. Its not about political correctness as far as I'm concerned. Its about a generalized judgement. Once again, that's just how I feel. I think often times people who judge so harshly (myself included) rarely take the time to examine and judge the garbage in there own life. I have been guilty of this countless times, for the record.
That's the last I will say on this. I promise.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2014, 08:50:04 AM »
but I think in an open forum, it is understandable that people will have dissenting views.

Then why are you making such a big deal of people disagreeing with you?  :lol :\

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2014, 08:51:29 AM »
What about those who toke up because of chronic pain? Due to severe osteoarthritis I must occassionally take vicodin. Some days up to four. Some days only one, and usually I can go three or four days at a stretch without taking any. I havent smoked ganja in a very long time, but I tell you, if my state allowed medical marijuana, you can bet Id seriously consider it over the damn opiates I have to take.

Good point. Cannabis has way more tolerable side effects, and I've seen it do wonders for hospice patients and a few others. It's a bit of a joke in CO (like, anyone can get a red card if they say their fucking pinky hurts), but I do think MMJ is great.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2014, 08:53:42 AM »

Here's your problem. There are adults here who smoke regularly, so they are therefore included in the class you called fucking idiots. In P/R that would have earned you a warning, just as if I were to call all Republicans slimy, hate-mongering pedophiles. You have to take into account that when you express your opinion in such a way that you call other members of the forum fucking idiots, us fucking idiots might want to call you out on it for your poor choice of syntax and logic skills.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2014, 08:54:08 AM »

I am not saying it is right that I lump every person that does the same thing into a single category. I am not defending my opinion....I am defending the right to have my opinion.  Though I may judge (fairly or unfairly) it does not imply that I mistreat those individuals. As I said before, I am not the only member of this board to make sweeping generalizations about certain people based solely upon the direct relationship I have had with that group; it is human nature that people generalize.  Not saying it is right or wrong either.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2014, 08:56:08 AM »
Nobody's suggesting that you can't have your opinion on the matter, just that wording it as you did comes off abrasively.  It's like saying "People who have extremely strongly worded opinions about what other people do with their lives are dickheads."  As opposed to saying "I respect your opinion on the matter and I disagree."  As my mother always used to say.  "Its not what you say, it's how you say it."

My experience with pot has been with people (mainly musicians) who use it as a means of escape.  Escape from a bad day, or a fight with a girl, or any number of things.  Turning to pot to mellow out is always their answer.  It has always been a little disturbing to me that they could find no better way to cope with the day-to-day bullshit the rest of us also deal with sober.  Now you're very-once-in-a-while recreational smoker?  Meh.  No biggie, whatever floats your boat.  It's just always been, for me, a very off-putting personality trait when that's the answer to all a person's problems on a daily basis.

That's certainly a bit much on the comparison, but you can understand how the same opinion could've been worded a little more tactfully, right? 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2014, 08:56:14 AM »
but I think in an open forum, it is understandable that people will have dissenting views.

Then why are you making such a big deal of people disagreeing with you?  :lol :\

I'm guessing it's because he made a generalized comment that people found offensive, whereas others are now personally attacking him in a way that he finds offensive.  There is a difference when you make it personal instead of a generalization. 

Just a general comment toward everyone in the thread:  Be mindful of how you are supposed to interact on this board.  Different viewpoints are allowed, even if they may be personally offensive.  But when it crosses the line and becomes a personal attack, that is a problem.  I realize there is a fine line sometimes, but watch it.  Please.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2014, 08:57:04 AM »

I don't care that people disagree with me. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion, right?  Well, everyone except me apparently.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2014, 09:01:17 AM »
Everyone is entitled to have an opinion, right?  Well, everyone except me apparently.

I am pretty sure the problem people have is not with your opinion, but how you stated it.  You can't possible be this obtuse as to not realize that.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2014, 09:02:02 AM »

I'm guessing it's because he made a generalized comment that people found offensive, whereas others are now personally attacking him in a way that he finds offensive.  There is a difference when you make it personal instead of a generalization. 

Just a general comment toward everyone in the thread:  Be mindful of how you are supposed to interact on this board.  Different viewpoints are allowed, even if they may be personally offensive.  But when it crosses the line and becomes a personal attack, that is a problem.  I realize there is a fine line sometimes, but watch it.  Please.

Thank you Bosk. I appreciate your involvement.

Just to clarify, I am not "offended" per se, but I think it is a sad state when people are not entitled to express an opinion. I wasn't spewing hate speech or calling for anyone's head. I expressed my opinion.

@el barto, since you are obviously the go-to person on all things logical, I'll be sure to run all my posts past you prior to submission just so that they meet your high standards.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2014, 09:03:51 AM »
Everyone is entitled to have an opinion, right?  Well, everyone except me apparently.

I am pretty sure the problem people have is not with your opinion, but how you stated it.  You can't possible be this obtuse as to not realize that.

I already addressed this:

"Here, I'll satiate others' delicate sensibilities:  "I think the more than 23 marijuana smoking people I have met in the 42 years of my life are complete doodoo heads".  Was that specific enough without being overly offensive?"

Happy now?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2014, 09:07:14 AM »

I am not saying it is right that I lump every person that does the same thing into a single category. I am not defending my opinion....I am defending the right to have my opinion.  Though I may judge (fairly or unfairly) it does not imply that I mistreat those individuals. As I said before, I am not the only member of this board to make sweeping generalizations about certain people based solely upon the direct relationship I have had with that group; it is human nature that people generalize.  Not saying it is right or wrong either.
Look, few people here have opinions more generally offensive than me. At the same time, I craft them in such a way that they don't personally attack other members and people seem to be just fine with that. If you had said "all of the adults I've known who smoked dope are fucking idiots. They should yada, yada, yada. . ." there wouldn't be a problem. Nobody here would feel personally included in your remarks.

edit:

@el barto, since you are obviously the go-to person on all things logical, I'll be sure to run all my posts past you prior to submission just so that they meet your high standards.
Passive aggression aside, perhaps you could just think about how people might interpret your posts before hitting submit. Just a thought.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson