Author Topic: True Detective on HBO (merged)  (Read 23673 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: True Detective on HBO (merged)
« Reply #280 on: August 03, 2015, 11:07:51 AM »
Amazing episode, really intense! This was just as good as something from season 1, I just wish they'd reached these highs a bit earlier.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #281 on: August 03, 2015, 11:15:44 AM »
Amazing episode, really intense! This was just as good as something from season 1, I just wish they'd reached these highs a bit earlier.

Watching Frank flip the switch and just go in to self preservation mode was awesome! I'm curious to see if he makes it out alive or not? And, I think it'd be cool for Ray's character if the wife came back and said the paternity results revealed he's actually the biological father....after all this time of seemingly 'knowing' he wasn't.

I'm very curious as to how this will all round out....and if any of the characters will get a happy ending?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #282 on: August 03, 2015, 09:28:54 PM »
Heartbreaking and another amazing episode. I'm going to have to rewatch this again and assimilate all the various storylines and characters.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #283 on: August 04, 2015, 02:16:38 AM »
Yeah this season is coming together really nicely. I was a little worried at first but it's been a ride these last few episodes. All the actors far surpassed what I expected from them, especially Regina George.

I really love that they used one of the ending songs from Season 1 in this episode, and it's pretty perplexing considering I don't think, unless I missed it, that they've used any other songs from the first season; or anything else for that matter, save for the title and similar opening. But it's a good song to use as well, it's just that it was fitting as well as a great song and a neat homage. I have a feeling they're saving something huge for the finale, I think this one will be more intense than S1's finale.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #284 on: August 04, 2015, 06:24:48 AM »
This article is a good summary of the last episode. It has some well thought out critiques though I personally don't have a problem with any of them but they are written and argued well.

Just one more episode! Can't wait.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #285 on: August 04, 2015, 06:27:48 AM »
I'm crazy confused, but I really an enjoying this season.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: August 04, 2015, 06:44:00 AM »
I agree with that article that Ray and Ani going at it together was kind of cheesy.  I liked how he initially backed off when she was drugged, but they went at it again later.  Otherwise another solid episode although a lot was going on and I may need to rewatch just to grasp everything.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #287 on: August 04, 2015, 07:53:12 AM »
Finally caught the last two episodes last night.

Holy crap.

I'm sorry some people aren't liking this season.  I think it is obviously a different creature than season 1, but I am enjoying it quite a bit.  Sorry to see wonder boy buy it at the end, but hey.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #288 on: August 04, 2015, 09:47:30 AM »
And an even more precise breakdown on the plot and characters of season 2 so far. I haven't read the entire article but it looks very thorough for people like me who need to fill in many pieces of this very intricate plot.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #289 on: August 04, 2015, 11:07:28 AM »
And an even more precise breakdown on the plot and characters of season 2 so far. I haven't read the entire article but it looks very thorough for people like me who need to fill in many pieces of this very intricate plot.
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: August 04, 2015, 12:02:35 PM »
I'm sorry some people aren't liking this season.  I think it is obviously a different creature than season 1, but I am enjoying it quite a bit.  Sorry to see wonder boy buy it at the end, but hey.

Yeah. If you have the ability to separate the two seasons and view them as two different shows...which they are....then this season has been highly entertaining and satisfactory. Very fun and good.

***bold print***  I don't know why it bothered me so much that he was killed. I think it was the way it was done. Ambushed from behind....no warning. A war hero of sorts, overall 'good' guy....getting killed like that, kid on the way....just bummed me out a tad.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #291 on: August 04, 2015, 12:09:17 PM »
Yeah it was pretty sad, but not very unexpected. I was pretty sure he'd die when he said "I'll call you back". And I don't know why, but the moment I knew he'd die was when he headed for the ladder leading out of the tunnels. Not that it wasn't good though, but the death of the episode was definetely Blake, Vaughn's red haired henchman. That was really gruesome.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: August 04, 2015, 12:10:43 PM »

Thanks for sharing, a great read.  The fact that there are so many intertwined storylines and the details are staggering is a testament to the show and the writer.  Really in depth storytelling that is so difficult to pick up just watching one episode a week, but it's all there.  I know I am glad I read that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: August 04, 2015, 12:18:04 PM »
but the death of the episode was definetely Blake, Vaughn's red haired henchman. That was really gruesome.

Especially being that he had to have had the feeling that he'd been 'forgiven' or 'made' it through getting caught. Then to be shot in the gut at close range and dying a slow, painful death...man that's brutal!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: August 04, 2015, 12:21:12 PM »
but the death of the episode was definetely Blake, Vaughn's red haired henchman. That was really gruesome.

Especially being that he had to have had the feeling that he'd been 'forgiven' or 'made' it through getting caught. Then to be shot in the gut at close range and dying a slow, painful death...man that's brutal!

It seemed that way, but Blake had to know he was dead.  He did a lot of damage behind Vaughn's back including the revelation that Velcoro's wife rapist was bs all aong.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #295 on: August 04, 2015, 12:44:54 PM »
Watch it be revealed next episode that it was the guy mowing the grass outside vince vaughn's club all along

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: August 09, 2015, 09:31:13 PM »
Hmmm...just got done watching and don't really know what I think? Frank was a bad dude and certainly "deserved" to die, but to be killed by that group of folks was demeaning to him in a way. Which I guess was the point.

Ray.....I mean, c'mon....you can't even let his final heartfelt message to his son make it through? That was just plain mean. Tough luck dude where nothing went right for him at all.

Not a big fan of the open ended "here's your story now run with it" I think it'd have been more satisfying to have more closure for me.

Anyway.....'twas entertaining but I'm on the fence about the finale.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #297 on: August 09, 2015, 10:07:52 PM »
They all should have got away. When I saw this was going another half hour I realized that everything was going downhill.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #298 on: August 09, 2015, 10:09:43 PM »
Thanks to HBO for trolling us for nine weeks.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #299 on: August 09, 2015, 11:15:42 PM »
I dunno i really liked it. I thought the bleakness of it all was quite well done and ended on the right tone. I actually cant wait to rewatch it. Im only disappointed that was no occult stuff.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #300 on: August 10, 2015, 02:41:07 AM »
Loved Season 1, Season 2 was meant to be entirely different and I loved that about it.

It started off slow, picked up, got slow again but then blew up in an awesome way.

Not perfect, but an awesome seaason.
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #301 on: August 10, 2015, 06:15:28 AM »
Wow, I'm pretty speechless

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: August 10, 2015, 07:28:03 AM »
They all should have got away.

Ehh....I think Frank had a fitting end. He was a very bad guy who basically deserved to be knifed in the kidneys and left for dead. But Ray....jeez, I mean.....can the guy catch a break? Just one horrid luck moment after another. It bothered me that he didn't get the 'happy ending'. I felt like he deserved it. But i think the rest of the story tied together good...it was a good season. Just bummed me out that they couldn't even let Rays message send to his kid, or let him find out that he was indeed his biological father before he got killed? On top of that...he gets pinned with (2) murders? Talk about kicking a guy when he's down.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #303 on: August 10, 2015, 11:47:10 AM »
I thought the first, like, 10 minutes felt a bit off. But everything was awesome after that. I think I'll appreciate all of this more once I rewatch it, because there was still much I just didn't get. A lot of information to take in.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: August 10, 2015, 12:21:18 PM »
Solid ending.  Pretty depressing ending, but I felt closure with what happened.  The corruption lives on!

When the episode was about half way over and everyone seemed set to have a happy ending, I knew something was going to happen. 

I thought the season was fantastic, another great HBO season!  Onto the Leftovers which I am just finishing season 1 of.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: August 10, 2015, 12:39:18 PM »
  The corruption lives on!

I'm guessing that was the 'point' of the season? With, a small glimmer of hope that maybe it'd be exposed?

I'm wondering though....did Frank get set up by the dudes who gave him the passport? I mean, he was in a fresh car...presumably no one would have known that was him? Then the Mexican gang hijacks him? Unless they were just tailing him the whole time I don't see how they'd have known he was in that Audi.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: August 10, 2015, 12:48:23 PM »
  The corruption lives on!

I'm guessing that was the 'point' of the season? With, a small glimmer of hope that maybe it'd be exposed?

I'm wondering though....did Frank get set up by the dudes who gave him the passport? I mean, he was in a fresh car...presumably no one would have known that was him? Then the Mexican gang hijacks him? Unless they were just tailing him the whole time I don't see how they'd have known he was in that Audi.

I thought the guys who gave him that passport looked questionable while doing it

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: August 10, 2015, 12:59:28 PM »
  The corruption lives on!

I thought the guys who gave him that passport looked questionable while doing it

they did share a glance....and that one dude even questioned him about what'd they'd end up hearing about him? I guess (if they did indeed betray him) I'd like to have known 'why' other than "they are bad guys and that's what bad guys do...betray each other"  Did they have a better deal with the Mexicans or Russians and were ticked that Frank spoiled it all?  Did Frank dick them over one time? I just thought the way he was hijacked seemed a bit too easy and actually for a person of Franks history...for him to be boxed in like that driving doesn't make a whole lot of sense. He'd have been expecting something along those lines....and that car in front of him stopped in the middle of the road for no reason...like he wouldn't have went around it or been suspicious about it?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: August 10, 2015, 01:05:50 PM »
I honestly took that as the "surprise" Everything seemed to be working out and the getaway looked good and then it was "surprise you forgot about the mexicans"  It was another tragic ending and that was sort of the end game for every character. 

I actually don't think Frank was really a bad guy either.  He seemed like his intentions were always to be good, but just couldn't get out of the bad.  He was always good to Velcoro too, even when you thought he betrayed him with the wife's rapists, Frank ended up not being the asshole.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: August 10, 2015, 01:18:03 PM »
I honestly took that as the "surprise" Everything seemed to be working out and the getaway looked good and then it was "surprise you forgot about the mexicans"  It was another tragic ending and that was sort of the end game for every character. 

I actually don't think Frank was really a bad guy either.  He seemed like his intentions were always to be good, but just couldn't get out of the bad.  He was always good to Velcoro too, even when you thought he betrayed him with the wife's rapists, Frank ended up not being the asshole.

When I say 'bad guy' it's a loose meaning....he did have a bunch of redeeming qualities but we saw him rip a guys teeth out, shoot a guy in the gut....and the picture painted about him is that he was either much worse in the past or at least just as menacing. So in that aspect, he was 'bad' and his fate is often what men like him end up getting....exactly what they deserve. I don't think in the grand scheme of things he 'deserved' to ride off into the sunset with his chic. Where, I think Ray did.  You're right about the Mexicans though...I bet he wasn't thinking of them at all and then BOOM....here we are!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #310 on: August 10, 2015, 09:05:51 PM »
So that dense episode 3 is where this brother and sister first made an appearance. I'm going to have a lot of fun rewatching this season again.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #311 on: August 11, 2015, 08:57:10 AM »
Finally caught the finale last night.

Holy crap, what a letdown.

I mean, I thought it was well-done.  But everybody dying was just a pisser. 

I was thinking of going back and rewatching some of the series, but now I don't see the point.

Hopefully, season 3 (if there is one) will be slightly more optimistic in its ending.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #312 on: August 11, 2015, 09:41:12 AM »
Season two is like the zelda 2 or super mario 2 of true detective

Wildly different. loved by some, disliked by many. I could see them going back to more of season one's formula for season 3

I personally really dug it for the most part though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: August 11, 2015, 09:47:24 AM »
But what formula was that different?  Completely different storylines, but I dont think the formula was that different.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #314 on: August 11, 2015, 10:44:20 AM »
Having interesting characters was missing from season 2's formula.