Author Topic: True Detective on HBO (merged)  (Read 23645 times)

Online faizoff

Re: True Detective on HBO (merged)
« Reply #210 on: June 27, 2015, 11:13:30 AM »
I know many people who couldn't get into True Detective, nothing wrong with that. Sometimes the hype kills the expectations.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #211 on: June 28, 2015, 10:14:22 PM »
Great episode again, I really enjoyed it. I'm also coming around to really liking the theme song.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2015, 10:48:53 PM »
Wow...I guess George RR Martin wrote that episode!?  :lol I liked it....good start to the season.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2015, 10:55:27 PM »
Great episode!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #214 on: June 29, 2015, 10:32:48 AM »
I loved this episode, even before that ending! Some of that familiar season 1-style dialogue was more prominent here, interesting and bleak with a touch of that dark humour as well.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #215 on: June 29, 2015, 11:28:11 AM »
WTH?  :lol Here I was, about to fall a sleep and shit got real quickly. I'm not really feeling this season yet but still, it's only two episodes in and current events made me a bit more interested so i'm hopeful.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: June 29, 2015, 12:18:37 PM »
I'm not really feeling this season yet

It definitely has an entire different 'vibe' than the first season. From the characters to the story....just different. I doubt that any season will compare to the first one or be able to match what it was....but I've been entertained with the opening two episodes and am invested in the story already. Especially now where...unless ol' boy had one heck of a bullet proof vest on....one of (what we thought was) the main characters just gets flat out blasted in episode 2!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: July 05, 2015, 08:10:24 AM »
Finally watched both episodes and I really like it. Had to watch the first one twice to fully understand cause I wasn't completely paying attention the first time. Really great ending to both episodes and it would be interesting if he is dead, but I don't know...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #218 on: July 06, 2015, 07:13:50 AM »
Was it me, or was episode 3 more "dense" than the first two?  I feel like I need to watch it again.

Of course, I was really tired and struggling to stay awake, so maybe that was it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #219 on: July 06, 2015, 08:20:14 AM »
Yea the episode was a slow burner, some interesting moments but again more backstory. I too will have to watch again as I saw it very late last night.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #220 on: July 06, 2015, 01:09:33 PM »
There is definetely a lot of information to keep track of this season, more than the first. But again, I liked this episode. Not as much as last week though, since I thought Farrel's fake-out death was a bit of a cheep cheat, and last week had a bit more of that interesting True Detective dialogue.

Online faizoff

« Reply #221 on: July 06, 2015, 01:20:50 PM »
I keep waiting for the occult stuff to kick in or at least I hope there's some creepy occult stuff this season.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #222 on: July 06, 2015, 02:39:28 PM »
The weird bird mask from last week seems to indicate that there's somehing strange like that going on.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: July 06, 2015, 02:52:25 PM »
I read an interesting article that speculated the idea that the occult stuff is related between the two seasons, that would be cool to have  some sort of tie in.  It was just speculation and admit tingly likely a wrong theory, but it was a cool possible idea (and still possible I think).  I cant find the link now of course

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: July 07, 2015, 10:22:34 PM »
Was it me, or was episode 3 more "dense" than the first two?  I feel like I need to watch it again.

Lots of things happening behind the scenes it appears. The city of Vinci leadership is clearly tied to the murder....way too many quick glances and concerned looks in the scene with them all in the room.

You have Vaughns underling giving and getting a hard stare from the Mexican leader in that underground meeting...and then the Russian dude seems fishy as well as he keeps insisting he's not making the calls.

And, I loved the scene where Vaughn kicked the crap out of Ol' boy and took his teeth.  :lol

I read an interesting article that speculated the idea that the occult stuff is related between the two seasons, that would be cool to have  some sort of tie in.  It was just speculation and admit tingly likely a wrong theory, but it was a cool possible idea (and still possible I think).  I cant find the link now of course

I read that. It was neat and really gave the impression that it is possible to link the two seasons (and subsequent seasons) to an overall, underlying...nationwide occult. It'd be tough to do but very impressive for,sure.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: July 08, 2015, 05:42:14 AM »
Yea definitely a lot going on, I've had to watch every episode twice now to understand, and I honestly feel like I still am missing things even though I understand the general story and whats going on.  This season just has a lot more characters than last and that makes it more complicated.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #226 on: July 08, 2015, 08:42:45 AM »
"You can keep the rings on."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: July 08, 2015, 09:05:33 AM »
"You can keep the rings on."

:metal   That was great!

Vaughn/Farrel aren't at the level of acting that Harrelson/McConehey gave us last season.....but they haven't been slouches by any means. I was a tad nervous about them being cast, but all in all I think they've done a good job. They haven't 'ruined' it at least IMO.

And, pure speculation obviously, but I think the Crow Masked man was/is Farrells boss.....the tall skinny dark haired detective. Same build...with his actions and mannerisms in the de-briefing and him being on scene afterwards....just a hunch but I think he's heavily involved.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: July 08, 2015, 09:11:03 AM »
Yea, that guy is vey sketchy, but I wonder if thats just to throw us off since its so blatant.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #229 on: July 09, 2015, 06:33:45 PM »

[/quote]
And, pure speculation obviously, but I think the Crow Masked man was/is Farrells boss.....the tall skinny dark haired detective. Same build...with his actions and mannerisms in the de-briefing and him being on scene afterwards....just a hunch but I think he's heavily involved.
[/quote]

I think you have something there.  The use of police issued  rubber shotgun shells for one.  2nd, the reason for the rubber pellets, as a possible warning to Ray, who was following a lead on Vaughns characters information without informing his superiors.  Meaning, they still need Ray, but didnt want to kill him, which would have brought a shitstorm of attention on the case. I can see it being that Boss for sure.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: July 12, 2015, 10:03:21 PM »
I thought that was one of the better episodes. A lot going on there. And the shoot out scene wasn't exactly that 6 minute one continuous shot scene from last season but it was pretty cool.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #231 on: July 13, 2015, 12:00:22 PM »
Yeah, that was really intense. Awesome episode this week as well.

Online faizoff

« Reply #232 on: July 14, 2015, 11:42:47 PM »
Shootout was excellent indeed, I feel like I'm missing some obvious stuff with all this dialogue. I think I'll have to rewatch these episodes back to back and pay real close attention.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: July 15, 2015, 05:37:33 AM »
Finally watched this weeks episode and I really enjoyed it.  I tried to avoid spoilers, but I saw a bunch of headlines that seemed very negative towards the show after that episode so I thought it would be boring or something.  It was the opposite, maybe the best episode so far this season although there is so much going on right now it is hard to keep up which also leads me to really wonder how this all ties together and comes to a conclusion.

Online faizoff

« Reply #234 on: July 15, 2015, 07:02:56 AM »
I think the running theme this season so far has been emphasizing a lot on each character's troubled past more than the actual crime story thus far. Which is somewhat different than last season, we did get glimpses into the broken past of the two leads but it felt like it was going along with the crime at hand. This season the back story seems to take precedence and that may be purely due to having more main characters. I personally have enjoyed all the episodes this season and am still intrigued, the difference I think is this season isn't as captivating as last season in terms of execution of this theme.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: July 15, 2015, 07:15:46 AM »
I get that this season "isn't Season 1"....but really, did anyone expect it to be? (by anyone I primarily mean the critics blasting season 2 right now) I went in to viewing the season with the mindset that there was no possible way the magic of Season 1 would be recaptured...there just isn't. The Genie is out of the bottle. I see (and read) these headlines and critics bashing this season and it's sad because all in all it's a good show. The imagery and cinematography is just as impressive (if not more) as the First Season and I think the writing has been good also.

What I think hasn't been matched is Mcconaughey or Harrelson's acting performance. Vaughn and Ferrel are getting the job done but what Mcconaughey and Harrelson did in the first season is what propelled that First Season into the lore that it's wrapped in now.

I'm invested in the show to see how it shakes out and it entertains me....what more can you ask from a show?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: July 15, 2015, 08:36:46 AM »
Agreed and honestly, I felt McConaughey made season 1.  His acting was so ridiculously good and amazing, that if you took it out, I don't see that big of a difference between s1 and s2 besides the obvious storyline.  I have no problems with the current actors, they seem fine, but that single performance from last season was one of the best (maybe THE best) I had ever seen on TV.  I came into this season not expecting s1 and I am satisfied so far.  The filmography is still top notch.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #237 on: July 15, 2015, 08:45:08 AM »
He's not quite on McConaughey's level, but I think Will Ferrell especially is doing a fantastic job so far. But then again, it might just be the character. No character this season is really as entertaining and intriguing as Rust was, with his heartbreaking background and deep weird comments on stuff.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: July 15, 2015, 09:22:45 AM »
He's not quite on McConaughey's level, but I think Will Colin Ferrell especially is doing a fantastic job so far. But then again, it might just be the character. No character this season is really as entertaining and intriguing as Rust was, with his heartbreaking background and deep weird comments on stuff.

Fix'd....although I'd love to see Will Ferrel in a "serious" role like that. And, I agree....Ferrel has done a pretty good job with this character

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #239 on: July 15, 2015, 09:39:43 AM »
Hahaha well shit.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: July 15, 2015, 09:42:52 AM »
Will Ferrel is staring in a new HBO show so it's close enough lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #241 on: July 16, 2015, 08:52:48 AM »
Will Ferrell announced for True Detective season 3!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #242 on: July 16, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
I actually don't think I could take him seriously. I never doubted Vince Vaughn, but no way I could buy Will Ferrell in a serious role.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: July 16, 2015, 09:47:19 AM »
I actually don't think I could take him seriously. I never doubted Vince Vaughn, but no way I could buy Will Ferrell in a serious role.

Agreed it would be hard, but Jim Carrey was able to do it.  You never know.

Online faizoff

« Reply #244 on: July 16, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »
There was a Will Ferrell movie which he had a mostly serious role with Maggie Gyllenhall and that was a pretty good movie, can't think of the name right now.