Author Topic: True Detective on HBO (merged)  (Read 23624 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: True Detective on HBO (merged)
« Reply #175 on: March 19, 2015, 07:49:54 AM »
So I watched all this on catch-up on Now TV, and I thought it was really great. Really, truly dark and intense.

I think it's natural to be a little apprehensive about a second season of this sort of "anthology" show. I think one of the great things about the first season was the characterisation (including the superb acting) and the interactions between the two main characters. With those characters gone, it'll basically be a different show. So I'm fairly excited but also quite trepidatious as well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #176 on: March 19, 2015, 08:12:49 AM »
Loved the first season, looking forward to the next. But I think that the first one will always be the best in the eyes of the general population, no matter how season 2 does.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #177 on: March 19, 2015, 09:39:15 AM »
The first season will be the standard by which all others will be compared, for obvious reasons.  And that will make it harder for me to judge subsequent seasons on their own merit.  There will be the temptation to constantly think how Rust would've handled it differently, or what Marty would have said in the same situation, or whatever.  After the two main characters have had a couple of discussions, I'll be comparing their dialogue as well.  That sort of thing.

Kinda like how if a band's debut album really kicks ass, you're almost sure to be disappointed in the follow-up, unless the follow-up is noticeably better.  "More of the same" often isn't good enough; it alone can almost be seen as a failure, even if that "same" is on a stellar level.  Since it's the same guy writing it and the same core team producing it, it should be safe to assume that the next season will be of similar quality to the first.  Maybe he's just warming up and the second season will blow our minds.  Maybe he shot his load with the first season and the second will be lame.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #178 on: March 19, 2015, 10:06:58 AM »
I don't think I'm normally that way. In general I think I'm pretty good at judging a follow-up on its own merits. I guess the difference is that with a regular TV show that keeps the same characters/stories, you maybe give it a bit of lee-way because it's continuing the story and part of something bigger. With an anthology show, it's almost like it's a new, unrelated story and so you have to judge it separately.

I guess in that sense, it is a lot like a second album. But if anything I would say that, for me personally, it's easier to be objective. If it's as good as the first series but not better, then I'm unlikely to like it less just for being "more of the same" (unless they literally just do the same thing, but that seems unlikely!).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #179 on: March 19, 2015, 10:38:35 AM »
But that's kinda what I'm afraid of.  Well, not afraid, more like wary.  There were a lot of things that made the first season great, but any list would have to include the dialogue between Rust and Marty.  I would assume that the Season 2 leads would also have some great conversations; it seems to be one of the writer's strengths, so he would play to it.  Therefore, I'm going to be comparing the Season 2 dialogue with the Season 1 dialogue to see how it stacks up.  With the same writer, it will likely "feel" the same, making the comparison even more apt.  That kind of thing.

I could be completely wrong.  Season 2 could be so different in look and feel that it doesn't even make sense to compare them.  I'm actually hoping for that.  Different, but just as awesome.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #180 on: March 19, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »
Yeah I would agree with that.

For example, unless they had something specific in mind, I would probably prefer they don't spread the story across 20 years (or whatever it was) again. The way they did it in season 1, gradually bringing it more into the present day, was brilliant, but I think if they did that again it would really encourage direct comparisons to season 1, making it harder to enjoy it for what it is.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #181 on: March 19, 2015, 11:33:54 AM »
The first season was one of my favorite things on TV ever. 

I have complete faith in the writer and cast for the second season.  One thing that could produce a different feel (other than being a different story in a different location with different characters) is that, unlike season 1, they won't be using one director for the entire show.  So there may not be that same unity of vision for each episode. 

But that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2015, 01:37:51 PM »
Season 1 feels like such a vision. Someone knew exactly how they wanted that season of TV to be, drawing from the old 'Carcosa' and 'Yellow King' stuff. And from how the entire thing feels, it seems like someone had spent quite sometime crafting it. I just worry that season 2 won't have that same specific and focused overall vision.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: April 09, 2015, 12:33:06 PM »
Teaser trailer for season 2 is here, and the season is coming june 12th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OfU7CGY5DQ

Not much to evaluate, except for cinematography and character looks I guess, which all looks just fine.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2015, 01:04:56 PM »
Like you said not much to really evaluate but it "looks" like it's produced well again....I'm anxious to see how Vaughn does. It'd be nice to see him pull this off.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #185 on: April 09, 2015, 01:09:05 PM »
Haven't checked but are they doing the same production format as first season with one screenwriter and one director for the entire season?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: April 09, 2015, 01:26:03 PM »
Haven't checked but are they doing the same production format as first season with one screenwriter and one director for the entire season?

I don't think they are....which was the cause of the trepidation that Season II wouldn't be able to match that magic of Season I because of that....

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #187 on: April 09, 2015, 02:33:41 PM »
I'm fairly certain that it WILL be one writer, but it will definitely not be one director.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: April 09, 2015, 02:34:42 PM »
I'm fairly certain that it WILL be one writer, but it will definitely not be one director.

same writer from Season 1? It's way to easy to Google it.......

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
« Reply #189 on: April 09, 2015, 05:31:23 PM »
Same writer, yes. Pizolatto hit it out of the park, but Fukunaga an Arkapaw were responsible for all the nuance. Fukunaga has a thing for tracking shots, don't know much about Arkapaw's other stuff but my God was his vision for the show the best thing about it.

Justin Lin, (one of?) the new director(s?), hasn't done anything I'm a fan of personally, and nothing on Arkapaw's returning. How much of the first season would have been hackneyed shit had they not had that mesmerizing, consistently gorgeous mise en scene?  Had they not had McConaughey and Harrelson? Not sure I could have taken the whole "Crash" thing seriously with Farrell, certainly not Vaughn. We'll see, my lowered expectations only means that another home run will be a welcome kick in the ass.
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington

Offline faizoff

« Reply #190 on: April 09, 2015, 09:06:56 PM »
Haven't seen the season two teaser but I think it shouldn't be too much of an issue with Cary Fukunaga not returning. If he establishes the tone and direction to the other directors much like how David Fincher did with House of Cards, then it should follow the same look and feel of the previous season as the template.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #191 on: June 22, 2015, 05:30:07 AM »
Just finished the first season! Good show with solid chemistry between Rust and Marty. The ending was a bit meh but then again i'm not sure how diffrent they could do it. I don't like when a show ends with a "boss battle" if you know what I mean but it's unavoidable with a story like this.

I think Colin and Vince is definitely a weird pairing but i'm intrigued to see how Vince handles a serious role, haven't seen him doing anything like this.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #192 on: June 22, 2015, 07:12:12 AM »
Watched the first episode of season 2 last night.

Definitely a different feel from the first season, which was to be expected.  But I was pleased with everything I saw.  Except Rachel McAdams's character, who I immediately dislike.  Hope she has some growth and development through the series.

We'll see how it goes.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #193 on: June 22, 2015, 12:37:12 PM »
Really liked the first episode. There was quite a few parts moving so it took me a while to put the pieces together. But that is not a bad thing, and this was definetely a good episode, and I'm excited for the rest of the season.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #194 on: June 22, 2015, 01:32:45 PM »
Really liked the first episode. There was quite a few parts moving so it took me a while to put the pieces together. But that is not a bad thing, and this was definetely a good episode, and I'm excited for the rest of the season.
Yea alot of character setups and buliding story arcs in the first episode. More than the entire first season. Overall it was ok, as I said the first episode was more about setting up the season than delving right into a case. One thing that I felt a bit miffed about was when they used dramatic music between scenes that didn't really do anything imo. I don't know I just felt they tried to hard to create that same dark and gritty feel the locations in S1 had but in California.

I just hope the show will have the same dark and intense feel as the first season.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #195 on: June 22, 2015, 03:08:04 PM »
I didn't really like the vibe from the first episode but looking back they did open up four different storylines which seemed to converge at the end.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: June 22, 2015, 10:19:22 PM »

Definitely a different feel from the first season, which was to be expected.  But I was pleased with everything I saw.  Except Rachel McAdams's character, who I immediately dislike.  Hope she has some growth and development through the series.

I didn't mind McAdams character....despite it appearing she's a cliche abandoned girl/daddy/male issues chick.

I was prepared to be let down being I enjoyed season 1 so much but I thought it was a solid start. Just have to see how this all plays out.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #197 on: June 23, 2015, 08:40:47 AM »
Watched the premiere last night and loved it. All characters seem very intriguing and I was surprised there were so many, I thought there were only 2 main ones for some reason. This episode they didn't start with the mystery murder, but rather establish the characters first and then show the murder at the end with hints to it being not right. I already cannot wait for the next few episodes. Should be excellent! I love the drab look of all the characters, so defeated and the life washed out of them. Very haunting aerial shots I thought that really helped in setting the tone of the series. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: June 23, 2015, 09:12:26 AM »
Very haunting aerial shots I thought that really helped in setting the tone of the series.

I thought the imagery and 'look' of it all was just as cool as last season. That one scene of the aerial shot over the power plant at night was pretty killer....

Offline faizoff

« Reply #199 on: June 23, 2015, 09:17:20 AM »
Yeah I meant the aerial shots in the context of this season where the setting is in the city. Several of the night shots were particularly cool.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #200 on: June 23, 2015, 12:09:57 PM »
Also I got tricked into thinking Colin Farrell was talking to a police reporter instead of his lawyer in that opening scene. Nicely done.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: June 23, 2015, 12:50:32 PM »
Also I got tricked into thinking Colin Farrell was talking to a police reporter instead of his lawyer in that opening scene. Nicely done.

As did I.

Did it feel like to anyone else that given the flashback scene and the fact that Ferills character did Vaughn's character a favor with the reporter deal....that they've known each other a while? Even in the flashback scene it seemed like it might be one of those 'childhood' friends deals?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #202 on: June 23, 2015, 01:04:59 PM »
My take after that reporter beating and then followed by the meeting Colin has with Vince is that he's Vince's inside man in the police force. It might be an understanding or sense of loyalty to Vince after he gives Colin the alleged wife attacker.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #203 on: June 23, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »
Yeah Colin seems to be in Vince's pocket. "Most corrupt district in LA".

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: June 23, 2015, 01:36:23 PM »
Yeah Colin seems to be in Vince's pocket. "Most corrupt district in LA".

And it appears he doesn't discriminate on which vice he'll ingest at any given time... :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #205 on: June 23, 2015, 02:55:54 PM »

I didn't mind McAdams character....despite it appearing she's a cliche abandoned girl/daddy/male issues chick.
Well, all the characters are pretty cliche in that sense. And they're all pretty equally unlikeable. :lol

Solid start, but good lord this show is so damn bleak.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #206 on: June 23, 2015, 03:58:07 PM »
I was unable to really get into Season 1 of this (I am crazy, I know, as everyone I know has told me :lol), and I am not sure this season will do it for me either.  I don't mind dark and bleak, but this is almost too dark and bleak. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #207 on: June 23, 2015, 05:15:09 PM »
I was unable to really get into Season 1 of this (I am crazy, I know, as everyone I know has told me :lol), and I am not sure this season will do it for me either.  I don't mind dark and bleak, but this is almost too dark and bleak.
My God.

If you couldn't get into season 1 (one of the best seasons of episodic TV in history), why are you bothering with season 2?

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #208 on: June 27, 2015, 08:58:53 AM »
I definately enjoyed the first episode.  That scene on the motorcycle, when he turns the lights off at 100 mph gave me chills.  I love the setting.  I am getting a bit of a "Copland" vibe, which I don't mind at all.  I loved that movie also.  The ending of the episode with everyone merging on the body was a great scene as well.  I loved season 1, was  probably one of my favorites next to Breaking Bad.  I think this is a good start.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: June 27, 2015, 11:09:09 AM »
I was unable to really get into Season 1 of this (I am crazy, I know, as everyone I know has told me :lol)

Then next time we get together I owe it to the forum and all True Detective fans to slap your hands with a ruler..... :lol    how dare you!