Author Topic: Stuff you thought everyone knew, but apparently not  (Read 7563 times)

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Re: Stuff you thought everyone knew, but apparently not
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2014, 02:44:00 AM »
I'm always blown away when there's people who have to remind themselves where left and right are.

Some people just have a hard time with left and right. I myself have a hard time with them sometimes, and there's not much I can do about it. It's just the way that I am.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2014, 06:38:54 AM »
Back to the thread title, apparently not a lot of people know that ALOT is not a word.

Bugs the crap out of me.  In school these days (at least, the one my kids go to), they teach them not to use it.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2014, 09:04:26 AM »
Back to the thread title, apparently not a lot of people know that ALOT is not a word.
Another thing that perplexes me is that people don't use the Oxford comma when they should. However, I am aware it's sort of controversial; although when I don't see it used I notice it.
Personal note: I always used to use the Oxford Comma until I found out that it was such a contentious issue in grammarite circles and that its use was 'generally' on the wane. I still use it because it looks right and I'm so used to it, but I just want to break the habit and it is surprisingly incredibly hard to do so.

And finally, people panic and lose their minds at a 4-way stop. Why is this so damn complicated, and how did they pass their driving test if they don't know what to do?
Four-way stops just reveal way incredibly poor drivers people really are. When you combine the incompetents, the regular people and the folks the need to get to their destination RIGHT NOW AND FUCK EVERYONE ELSE ON THE ROAD, there're bound to be some problems as the fast-and-fuck-you drivers don't give two shits about right-of-way, the incompetents don't know about right-of-way and the regular folks just out to buy milk and condoms are stuck right in the center.

There is a particular four-way stop along the route that I take to work every day and at that particular four-way stop there is a right-turn lane where people making right-hand turns do not have to stop. There is a sign right there saying 'right turns do not have to stop' and yet, invariably, people stop. I understand that the first impulse when seeing traffic is to stop and be cautious but when there is a turn lane, a merging lane and a sign explicitly saying 'hey you fucker, don't stop here' maybe you should innate cautious nature take a brief nap.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2014, 09:25:38 AM »
There is a sign right there saying 'right turns do not have to stop' and yet, invariably, people stop. I understand that the first impulse when seeing traffic is to stop and be cautious but when there is a turn lane, a merging lane and a sign explicitly saying 'hey you fucker, don't stop here' maybe you should innate cautious nature take a brief nap.
Do they right turn into their own lane, or do they still have to merge with traffic approaching from the left? The former would be such a foreign concept down here that it'd probably confuse me too for a second, although I'd get used to it quickly enough.

As for the comma, I use them when it's necessary for the reason that JB pointed out, and don't when it's not because honestly I find them unpleasing to the eye.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2014, 09:45:29 AM »
There is a sign right there saying 'right turns do not have to stop' and yet, invariably, people stop. I understand that the first impulse when seeing traffic is to stop and be cautious but when there is a turn lane, a merging lane and a sign explicitly saying 'hey you fucker, don't stop here' maybe you should innate cautious nature take a brief nap.
Do they right turn into their own lane, or do they still have to merge with traffic approaching from the left? The former would be such a foreign concept down here that it'd probably confuse me too for a second, although I'd get used to it quickly enough.
You have to merge with traffic approaching from the left but you have at east 100 feet to do so before the right lane becomes no more.

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2014, 10:09:34 AM »
I'm uptight at 4-way stops.  I know what to do, but have no confidence in the other 3 drivers.  Just like with 4-way...er..nevermind

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2014, 10:49:49 AM »
Some people apparently don't realize that "no one" is not spelled "noone". I mean, after seeing it, how can you not notice there's an issue there?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2014, 11:00:48 AM »

Peter Noone, from Herman's Hermits.  I always think of him when people write "noone".

I'm uptight at 4-way stops.  I know what to do, but have no confidence in the other 3 drivers.  Just like with 4-way...er..nevermind

That's the thing.  I know what I'm supposed to do, but I can't trust the idiots in the other cars.

I drove to the mall the other day, and nearly got hit by some idiot blowing through a Stop sign.  Besides the well-known rule (but apparently not) that incoming traffic doesn't have to stop, he actually had a Stop sign and I didn't.  So I guess I thought he'd, you know, stop.  Nope, just blew right on through.  I took a quick second to check my rear-view mirror, then slammed on my brakes.  Asshole.

It's common sense.  Incoming traffic has to have the right of way, otherwise traffic will back up out onto the main road.  And even if you lack common sense, there's Stop signs for everyone except the road coming in.  What the hell, people?

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2014, 11:37:36 AM »
Roundabouts are even worse.  Not a bad idea in theory, but I'm convinced less than 40% of drivers get it.  It just doesn't work irl.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2014, 12:04:31 PM »
I just realized with that Oxford comma pic, that I've seen a hundred times, how odd it is to invite both JFK and Stalin to the same apparent party. Why pick those dudes?  :lol :metal

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2014, 01:26:08 PM »
I've started a thread about this a month or two ago. I decided that the people who think they know what they're doing are exactly the ones who are wrong. Since 4-ways invariably devolve into clusterfucks, it's best just accept that and go whenever the hell you want. Trying to abide by rules in an anarchy is just asking for trouble.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2014, 01:36:08 PM »
I think it's silly to blame the people who know the rules as opposed to those that don't or those that don't give a fuck. Tossing out the baby with the bath water just because a few fuckheads don't give a shit about anyone else is just asking for trouble. And this applies not just to traffic laws.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »
Roundabouts are even worse.  Not a bad idea in theory, but I'm convinced less than 40% of drivers get it.  It just doesn't work irl.
They put in roundabouts at a local highway exit about a year ago.  They have been awesome with everyone getting it, and they work much better than the old stoplights did.

But last weekend, I saw two different fucktards at the same roundabout who didn't know WTF was going on.  We laughed a lot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2014, 05:29:27 PM »

Bugs the crap out of me.  In school these days (at least, the one my kids go to), they teach them not to use it.

Ehh I think the bottom one works as well :dunno: Depends on context.

Perhaps you would write " We invited JFK, Stalin and the strippers " .

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2014, 06:10:53 PM »
True.  When the presence or absence of a comma will cause ambiguity, there's usually a way to rewrite it.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »
I use the oxford comma since I was taught that way. I won't hold it against someone who was taught the other way since common sense and context clues will usually solve the problem.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2014, 06:48:59 PM »

Yes it is. You just used it.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2014, 07:52:54 PM »
Regarding the OP:  I don't drink coffee and even I know that the different colored handle on the coffee pots (whether orange or green) are indicative of being decaf.
Regarding 4 way stops:  I'm also of the belief that I know what to do, but that I don't trust that everyone else knows what to do.  Just the other day I was in a shopping center and approached a 4 way stop in the parking lot- holy clusterfuck hell. 

Sometimes it baffles me that people don't know certain things (like coffee pot handle colors...come on...) 
But that being said, there are plenty of things along the way that I haven't known that people have been amazed by.
A perfect example of this:  I grew up in NJ and had never pumped my own gas, and didn't know how.  When I was 24 I started seeing a guy who lived in PA and when he found this out, he was dumbfounded (and rightfully so).  He promptly taught me how right after he found this out.  I know it sounds ridiculous that I didn't know something so basic, but it's actually illegal to pump your own gas in NJ and you have to wait for an attendant, so it was just never something I had to do.    And even when I would go to Philly, I always made it a point to fill up before I went over.

I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2014, 08:36:29 PM »
Some reasons why the coffee handle thing is a moot point:

1. It's seldom discussed. I've been using the internet since 1999 and this is literally the first time I've ever seen this topic mentioned and have never heard it come up in real life.

2. A very good chunk of folks don't work in places that even have free coffee on hand and some only have one machine which is a home model Mr. Coffee setup, not the food service-grade setup with color coding.

3. Even working in a place with free coffee doesn't mean you'll bother to drink it since many people just buy their coffee, get their caffeine from energy dranx or sodie, or just don't consume caffeine in the first place.

I never knew about the color coding until I began waiting tables and would've made it at least this far in life without knowing otherwise.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2014, 09:13:27 PM »
I hate coffee, and I haven't really had any caffeinated drinks in... a couple years now? For some reason I find myself LESS tired in the mornings, as long as I get some actual sleep. While I appreciate how intelligent many of my schoolmates are, it saddens me how much they hurt themselves by staying up until 3 in the morning to get their homework done (which is why I don't take AP classes), when they have to get back to school by 7:30. 4 and a half hours of sleep is not good for you, no matter the age.

Though in college I hear music (education for me) majors have it really hard, so I might end up like some of them  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2014, 09:53:55 AM »

Ehh I think the bottom one works as well :dunno: Depends on context.

Perhaps you would write " We invited JFK, Stalin and the strippers " .

Frankly, the whole Oxford comma is caused by the half-broken way English uses the comma. Every time i see a newspaper headline like "Car runs over woman, toddler" I shudder.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2014, 07:15:55 PM »
i was taught in school not to put the word "and" after a comma so I never have. Plus it looks wrong to me.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2014, 07:30:42 PM »
I was never taught that, and I do it all the time.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Grizz

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2014, 08:18:38 PM »
I always use an Oxford comma, because that's what I was taught. To me, omission looks too casual, almost like something you'd expect from a tweet.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2014, 08:24:13 PM »
I'm a big fan of the Oxford comma. I always use it.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2014, 08:31:27 PM »
i was taught in school not to put the word "and" after a comma

How do you write compound sentences with an and relationship?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2014, 08:23:18 AM »
They put in roundabouts at a local highway exit about a year ago.  They have been awesome with everyone getting it, and they work much better than the old stoplights did.

But last weekend, I saw two different fucktards at the same roundabout who didn't know WTF was going on.  We laughed a lot.

My civil engineer buddy was telling me tha traffic circles are different than roundabouts. In that one the people INSIDE the circle have the right of way, and the other it's opposite with the people entering the circle having the right of way.

back to the coffee thing, I always thought Denny's coasters were genius. Order de-caf get a coaster differently coloured that says DECAF. Waitress knows what you're drinking as she goes by to top you.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2014, 08:50:03 AM »
i was taught in school not to put the word "and" after a comma

How do you write compound sentences with an and relationship?

Give me an example.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2014, 08:57:22 AM »
I think what Kotow means is, don't write "I like oranges, and apples".

Even though, I find that actually perfectly permissible. It indicates a hesitation, which is subtly different from "I like oranges and apples".
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2014, 09:40:27 AM »
My civil engineer buddy was telling me tha traffic circles are different than roundabouts. In that one the people INSIDE the circle have the right of way, and the other it's opposite with the people entering the circle having the right of way.
I don't see how it could ever work with people entering having the right of way.  The circle would never move.  Except, of course, without massive casualties.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2014, 11:18:53 AM »
What should everybody know?  When the big light goes from red to green, you step on the pedal on the right.

I simply cannot tell you how much more of my life I have spent sitting at traffic lights because of people who clearly aren't paying attention.  Just this morning, I'm at a light.  Second in line.  Light turns green.  it took about 5-6 seconds for the lady to realize "Oh, it's green, I suppose I should go."  Sure, 5-6 seconds isn't a lot when you're the second car.  It IS a lot, when you're WAY back in a line of cars.  Because of the other thing that happens - when the person finally engages their brain and hits the gas, they eeeeeaaase on out into the intersection, as does everybody behind them who can't just GO.  Because of this, left turning vehicles from the opposing side of the road, who get a green arrow that reverts to a green light are enabled to get another 4-5 cars through their now green light, since it's still clear and all.

So when I'm the LEAD car at a red light, I try to think of those behind me.  As soon as the light turns green, I'm making freakin' tracks.  I'm well into the intersection in 2 seconds.  If opposing turners keep trying to strongarm their way throught the now green light, I lay on the horn and keep coming.  This allows everybody backed up behind me to move ass and get through the intersection.  More people through means that the guy in the back doesn't wait as long.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2014, 11:21:34 AM »
What should everybody know?  When the big light goes from red to green, you step on the pedal on the right.

I simply cannot tell you how much more of my life I have spent sitting at traffic lights because of people who clearly aren't paying attention.  Just this morning, I'm at a light.  Second in line.  Light turns green.  it took about 5-6 seconds for the lady to realize "Oh, it's green, I suppose I should go."  Sure, 5-6 seconds isn't a lot when you're the second car.  It IS a lot, when you're WAY back in a line of cars.  Because of the other thing that happens - when the person finally engages their brain and hits the gas, they eeeeeaaase on out into the intersection, as does everybody behind them who can't just GO.  Because of this, left turning vehicles from the opposing side of the road, who get a green arrow that reverts to a green light are enabled to get another 4-5 cars through their now green light, since it's still clear and all.

So when I'm the LEAD car at a red light, I try to think of those behind me.  As soon as the light turns green, I'm making freakin' tracks.  I'm well into the intersection in 2 seconds.  If opposing turners keep trying to strongarm their way throught the now green light, I lay on the horn and keep coming.  This allows everybody backed up behind me to move ass and get through the intersection.  More people through means that the guy in the back doesn't wait as long.

We get that a lot here.  It gets worse and worse because people are at a traffic light texting.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2014, 11:22:29 AM »
^^^THIS!!!  All day, every stinkin' day!!    >:( :censored
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2014, 11:48:46 AM »
The big intersection by my house always has a line of left turns each way, and people seem to think it's okay to just keep going even after it turns red for them.  Not just the one person who might've argued that it was still yellow, but two, three, sometimes four people.  They'll just keep going, long after it's red for them.  What are you gonna do?

I'll tell you what.  I was first at the green to go straight, so after the person in the intersection cleared, I started going.  I'm calling your bluff, old man.  I made eye contact with him and I was coming.  He knew he was blowing the red and I stared him down.  Then what does he do?  He stops right there in the intersection!  The line behind him was still coming and all of them had to slam on their brakes.  Now he's in the middle of the intersection, can't back up, I swerve around him and keep going, and the line behind me follows me.

Behind me, I can hear horns honking.  Okay yeah, a traffic jam, and I caused it.  But I had green, he had red, I went, he stopped, so sue me.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »
You are my fucking hero.  THAT is the spirit.  If I see opposing cars continuing to proceed, I immediately lay on the horn and stay on it all the way through the intersection.