Author Topic: Stuff you thought everyone knew, but apparently not  (Read 7562 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Stuff you thought everyone knew, but apparently not
« on: January 10, 2014, 12:44:24 PM »
In the office where I work, we have one of those Bunn coffee machines like in restaurants.  It has three burners: the two in front are usually occupied by pots of Regular and Decaffeinated; the one in back is where the empty pot sits.  You fill the empty one with water and pour it in the top to make a new pot of Regular or Decaf.  Basic setup.  It's understood that the pot with the orange handle is for Decaf and the brown handle is Regular.  This is America.  This is how it works.

So after lunch, I go to get some coffee, and there's Decaf but no Regular at the moment; someone is in the middle of making a fresh pot of Regular.  Cool, I'll wait.  He's fumbling around, trying to open the stupid coffee packets (which admittedly are a pain in the ass) and sees me standing there, so he points at the orange-handled pot and says something like "Here's some, this might take me a minute."

I tell him "No thanks, I'll wait for Regular."  He looks all confused.  "That's Decaf," I explain. 

He still looks confused.  "How can you tell?"

"You know, the orange handle."  What, is this guy an idiot?

He says "Oh, is that how that works?"

I wanted to say "What the fuck planet are you from, dipshit?!  The orange handle is Decaf; the brown handle is Regular.  Everyone knows that!"  Instead, I tried (probably unsuccessfully) to not adopt a condescending tone and said "Well, yeah" (but I still added "you moron" in my mind).

So... what, he thought one of the pots just happened to have a different colored handle, meanwhile we just guess as to which pot has Regular and which has Decaf, because there's no correlation between the two?  Doesn't everyone know this?

And then it hit me:  Oh shit!  What if, in his obviously extreme ignorance, he's been putting Decaf in the brown-handled pot?!

I grabbed the pot out of his hand and smashed it across his face.  A shard of glass must've severed an artery or something because there was a lot of blood and it just kept flowing, like a fountain, as I stood there triumphantly, laughing, secure in the knowledge that I'd rid the world (and more importantly, my office) of a horrible menace.

Okay, I might have made that last part up.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Stuff you thought everyone knew, but apparently not
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 12:50:24 PM »
 :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 12:52:29 PM »
Not everyone knows basic things like that. I know of places whom use a green and black handle,  others have both orange and green. But he shouldve known which side is decaff and which isn't.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 12:54:31 PM »
If there's green and black, the green is Decaf.  If there's orange and green, whoever orders supplies needs to be fired.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 12:55:19 PM »
I'm not a coffee drinker so I would have had no clue.  Never made a pot of coffee in my life.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 12:55:49 PM »
Yeah, younger people and non-coffee drinkers wouldn't know.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 12:56:59 PM »
I'm not a coffee drinker so I would have had no clue.  Never made a pot of coffee in my life.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 12:57:38 PM »
Also, decaf doesn't exist in this office... so it's perfectly acceptable to brew regular in whatever color vessel you like :)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 12:59:01 PM »
I never drink coffee, and I knew that. Though I guess I could see how someone might not. But not someone who drinks enough coffee that they would go to the trouble to make some in their office if the pot was empty.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 01:13:53 PM »
I'd look at you funny because I've never seen Orange mean decaff, just green.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 01:24:34 PM »
Put me down as another ignorant to coffee practices.

I'll add to the thread though. I was having dinner at my girlfriend's house, and her mom mentions that she has a dentist appointment the next day at 2:30. I kind of smile and say, "Was that intentional?" They look at my confusedly. "You know...two-thirty...tooth hurty? What time do you go to the dentist?" They had never heard that before. That was like the first joke I'd ever heard right after the chicken crossing the road. Come on.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 01:48:09 PM »
If there's green and black, the green is Decaf.  If there's orange and green, whoever orders supplies needs to be fired.

:lol

I feel your pain!

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 02:08:46 PM »
I didn't know that. I've never worked in an office, and the only coffee pot I've used it at my home.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 03:16:04 PM »
Okay, maybe I should have qualified it to "Stuff you thought everyone who actually partakes in a certain activity should know about that particular activity, but apparently not".  But I think there's a limit to the length of a thread title.  Obviously people who don't drink coffee or work in an office wouldn't need to know this.  But there's still no excuse for just blindly doing something when common sense would tell you that there are protocols to be observed.  Find out how it's done, and do it properly this time and every time.

I'll add to the thread though. I was having dinner at my girlfriend's house, and her mom mentions that she has a dentist appointment the next day at 2:30. I kind of smile and say, "Was that intentional?" They look at my confusedly. "You know...two-thirty...tooth hurty? What time do you go to the dentist?" They had never heard that before. That was like the first joke I'd ever heard right after the chicken crossing the road. Come on.

Thank You!  This really wasn't supposed to be another Orbert rant thread.  I was hoping for more stuff that we can all mock.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 04:02:33 PM »
I was jumping up and down and punching the air while I was reading that last paragraph but then I read the last line.  >:(

Anway, I'm from Australia and our coffee setups are completely different, but I would have worked that out.  I was going to say that non coffee drinkers are pretty much little pussys when it comes to coffee you reading that he is a coffee drinker, so he is obviously a fuckhead and isn't man enough to even drink coffee IMO.  You should have done what you wrote in your last paragraph.

Also, what the fuck is with going to a coffee shop ordering a triple shot mocha or tipe flat white and you see a 17 year old kid making the coffee and you get it and it tastes like shit.  Why do franchises teach non coffee drinkers how to make coffee.  If I had my own coffee shop, when I'm hiring part of the interview would be me putting a triple espresso in front of the candidate and asking them to drink it.  If they cringe or grimace, or tell me they don't drink coffee, interview over!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 04:45:54 PM »
Okay, maybe I should have qualified it to "Stuff you thought everyone who actually partakes in a certain activity should know about that particular activity, but apparently not".  But I think there's a limit to the length of a thread title.  Obviously people who don't drink coffee or work in an office wouldn't need to know this.  But there's still no excuse for just blindly doing something when common sense would tell you that there are protocols to be observed.  Find out how it's done, and do it properly this time and every time.

Working with the people I do for the last 15 years, I've learned that some people are intellectually curious and others aren't. I explained this to one of them earlier today, in fact. I'm always thinking to myself "I wonder why that is." "I wonder if there's a better way to do this?" "There has to be a reason why there are three different types of tape here. They must work differently." My coworkers are the sort to always do what they know worked once and resist change at all cost. Learning new things is boring. Thinking is boring. New concepts are boring. They've probably been exposed to enough coffee pots to know the color coding, but if they hadn't been explicitly told the difference before, they never once would have questioned it and most likely never would have even noticed it.

For the record, I despise these sorts of people. This is the sort of thing that drives me apeshit:

Nimrod: Why are you doing it that way?
Barto: Well, I've found that if you do this, this and this, it prevents such and such from happening.
Nimrod: I've never had such and such happen before.
Barto: So? Do you recognize that such and such is always a possibility and maybe doing something the best way is better than just doing it however works?
Nimrod: [vacant look] [walks off to discuss 2 Broke Girls with somebody else]

Anton LaVey said it's a shame that stupidity isn't painful (wonderful sentiment, BTW). I'm convinced that to half the world it's in fact thinking that is painful. There are just too many people who would rather not have to think at any cost. Not only does this sadden me, but it saddles the rest of us with a society of mediocrity.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 05:06:21 PM »
Barto...stupidity is painful. It's painful to those of us who have to deal with stupidity.  :biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »
And then it hit me:  Oh shit!  What if, in his obviously extreme ignorance, he's been putting Decaf in the brown-handled pot?!

The bigger (and more likely) problem is that this fucker has been brewing regular in the decaf pot.  How many people looking for a splash of decaf at the end of the day have been bugeyed until 2 in the morning wondering why abbreviation is such a long word?  Or if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 05:11:46 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 06:41:57 PM »
EB, I hear you, and I've never understood that either. What's even worse, this steadfast dogheadedness is something revered by the public. The first German chancellor was once confronted with having changed his mind about a topic, and his curt reply was "what do I care about my own yesterday's rambling?". You could not pull off a quote like that these days. In this day and age taking new information and subsequently changing your opinion on something is seen as a sign of moral weakness.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 06:53:19 PM »
 :lol at the end of the OP

I knew about the coffee, but there are definitely "basic" things I found out later in life so I can't judge.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 06:56:30 PM »
I'm always blown away when there's people who have to remind themselves where left and right are.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 07:29:34 PM »
Barto...stupidity is painful. It's painful to those of us who have to deal with stupidity.  :biggrin:

"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 07:57:26 PM »

The fact that stupid people aren't smart enough to realize that they're lacking is really fascinating to me, and it explains a great deal. I've always been amused at how people who can't comprehend what I'm saying invariably think the reason they don't get it is because I'm stupid. Then it keeps reinforcing itself because the more you try to explain it to them the dumber you look in their eyes.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 08:12:32 PM »
There's actually an interesting psychological concept behind it. In just about all aspects of life, people on average overestimate their standing as compared to the general public. So, unless they got it somehow certified that they're below average, people think they're smarter than average. And even if, I'm sure everybody has heard the "street smarts" stuff, which is just another way for the brain to convince yourself you're above average at "what counts".

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 08:42:23 PM »
There's actually an interesting psychological concept behind it. In just about all aspects of life, people on average overestimate their standing as compared to the general public. So, unless they got it somehow certified that they're below average, people think they're smarter than average. And even if, I'm sure everybody has heard the "street smarts" stuff, which is just another way for the brain to convince yourself you're above average at "what counts".
I definitely grew out of feeling superior to everyone in terms of intelligence. But now I just feel like I'm dumber and less valuable overall. And since I'm the youngest, least experienced, and least skilled dude at work, it is probably true.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 09:20:29 PM »

The bigger (and more likely) problem is that this fucker has been brewing regular in the decaf pot.  How many people looking for a splash of decaf at the end of the day have been bugeyed until 2 in the morning wondering why abbreviation is such a long word?  Or if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about.

You're right, this is a bigger deal.  If I think I'm drinking caffeinated, psychologically I'm wired up, and half the time I don't need it anyway; it's just something to sip on while I work because I'm used to doing so.

But someone who really doesn't want or need caffeine getting a dose, that's not cool.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 09:40:18 PM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 09:42:45 PM »
Reminds me of a video game called The Stanley Parable.

Yeah, as a relatively young member of this forum it saddens me that much older people.. Find pain or strangeness in thinking. I'm just glad the field I'm pursuing (music education) doesn't require me to be around such people (assuming my fellow high school teachers aren't all boring, and I know I've had many amazing teachers at the school I am now, so I'm hopeful. The kids should theoretically be fine as my classmates in orchestra are generally very intelligent, some of the most intelligent in the school.).
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 09:50:06 PM »
Another psychological element is it seems that to know you're no good at something requires exactly the same cognitive skill set as it does to actually be good at it. Put another way, to know that you're deficient in something requires you to understand what it is that you're deficient in. Therefore simple people lack precisely what they need to know that they're simple. A practical aspect of it is a coworker of mine who thinks I'm a pendejo because she thinks I'm talking nonsense to her couldn't possibly see it any other way if she can't realize that I'm not talking nonsense to her in the first place.

edit: and back to the coffee, I've decided that caffeine is absolutely insidious. When I was trying to fight off a stomach bug over Christmas I stopped drinking coffee in the morning and replaced it with hot cocoa which is actually quite good for the tummy. After a couple of days I developed a splitting headache that no amount of Tylenol could knock down. It'd actually wake me up at night. Resolving it was a simple matter of fighting off the bug so I could fix a pot of coffee in the morning. I've started waning myself down further. I was drinking half-calf, and now I mixed up my last pound at 40-60 and will continue to swing it 20% a pound to see how it goes.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:00:43 PM by El Barto »
E.F. Benson

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 10:19:40 PM »
I work at a certain big box retailer. We all carry walkie talkies in order to quickly communicate with one another. Yesterday, I forgot to turn mine off as I sat in the lounge on my lunch break. Our customer service desk associate, a rather ditzy girl of about 18, comes on the walkie and says, "I have a customer on the phone who wants to know if we carry lumber," at which point I start chuckling because anyone with half a brain can tell that we have nothing of the sort. Before I can respond, a fellow manager says over the walkie, "I can't believe you just asked that," at which point I really start laughing. The girl responds, in total seriousness, "I don't know what that is."

I almost fell off the couch.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 11:29:32 PM »
:facepalm:

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2014, 11:43:05 PM »
I know for a fact that someone at my work asked me the same question about coffee pots. I wasn't able to hold back my remarks though.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2014, 12:17:18 AM »
Back to the thread title, apparently not a lot of people know that ALOT is not a word.
Another thing that perplexes me is that people don't use the Oxford comma when they should. However, I am aware it's sort of controversial; although when I don't see it used I notice it.
And finally, people panic and lose their minds at a 4-way stop. Why is this so damn complicated, and how did they pass their driving test if they don't know what to do?
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."