Author Topic: Your favorite single albums that have six songs or less  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your favorite single albums that have six songs or less
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2014, 08:25:40 AM »
Just a few:

Alcest - Escailles de Lune
Alcest - Souvenirs d'un auntre monde
Brian Eno - Ambient 1
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Emerson Lake & Palmer
Explosions in the Sky - Those Who Tell The Truth...
Genesis - Foxtrot
Godspeed You Black Emperor - F#A# Infinity
Pink Floyd - Animals
Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing
Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever
Wintersun - Time I
Yes - Close to the Edge

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014, 08:37:56 AM »
Might want to take off the handful of double albums you listed as well - Theory of Everything, Tales, 6DOIT - since I specifically said "single" albums...;)

Psh...does it matter what designation the album has because of the limitations of the physical medium? I mean, The Who's Tommy was once a double album on vinyl, but it is now a single CD. Who is to say that in a few years, if physical media still exists for music, that albums like SDOIT and TFTO wouldn't be single albums based on being able to hold 100+ minutes of music? Theoretically, there DO exist some 100 minute CD-R's, so those albums COULD fit on to a single disc, but most people don't use them.

Besides, in the digital-music era, terms like "double album" don't really mean much if the whole album just fits together as one album, regardless of how many discs it is in physical format. As someone who enjoys albums as a whole, double or single, when they're on my iPod, they're one album. I'm not the type to puts "XXXXX Album - Disc 1" separate from "XXXXX Album - Disc 2". Seems kind of pointless when, if released with the intention of being ONE WHOLE album, to keep them separated like that.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2014, 08:50:14 AM »
Isn't it even more impressive if it's a double album with six songs or less?  ;)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2014, 09:26:57 AM »
I agree with the above two posts.  The wall is just over 60 minutes total, and a double album; 99% of albums these days are 70+ minutes, and a single album.

But, your thread, so it's fair for you to call it out (no sarcasm).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2014, 09:31:15 AM »
The Wall is a little over 80 minutes. :biggrin:  I know this because back in the day before mp3 CDs, I used to fret that all of The Wall just barely wouldn't fit on one blank CD-R. :lol :lol

Marc, if you want to move the goalposts and apply your own standard, have at it, but it is pretty obvious what albums are commonly referred to as single albums and what albums are commonly referred to as double albums.  For example, if an album is so long that it cannot fit on one CD and is released on two, that is quite obviously a double album.  That is pretty much a given 99.999% of the time.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 09:40:05 AM »
Isn't it even more impressive if it's a double album with six songs or less?  ;)

Um, no, because as someone else pointed out, "Ayreon - The Theory of Everything" is a double album with only 4 songs  :biggrin:

Offline Theme Dreater

• The Destroyer of Worlds
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2014, 03:52:30 AM »
I am noticing a trend in which albums are getting mentioned...

Rush - 2112
Rush - Caress of Steel
Rush - A Farewell to Kings
Rush - Hemispheres
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Pink FLoyd - Animals
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
maudlin of the well - Part the Second
Frank Zappa - The Grand Wazoo
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings
Steven Wilson - The Raven
Camel - Mirage
Crippled Black Phoenix - I, Vigilante
Golden Earring - Moontan
Transatlantic - The Whirlwind
Porcupine Tree - Sky Moves Sideways

EDIT: had to throw that PT album on there
I was told if you dream of the next world, you'll find yourself swimming in a lake of fire.