Author Topic: "Dream Theater" by Dream Theater - Fact Finder  (Read 14485 times)

Offline robwebster

"Dream Theater" by Dream Theater - Fact Finder
« on: April 07, 2013, 06:02:51 AM »
Vital Statistics

Tracks and Titles

The album title was confirmed as "Dream Theater" in a press release on 6th June, 2013.

The artwork (by Hugh Syme) and full tracklist were revealed on 9th July, 2013.

1. False Awakening Suite
(i. Sleep Paralysis / ii. Night Terrors / iii. Lucid Dream)
2. The Enemy Inside
3. The Looking Glass
4. Enigma Machine
5. The Bigger Picture
6. Behind the Veil
7. Surrender to Reason
8. Along for the Ride
9. Illumination Theory
(i. Paradoxe de la Lumičre Noire, ii. Live, Die, Kill, iii. The Embracing Circle, iv. The Pursuit of Truth, v. Surrender, Trust & Passion)

Singles

New single -- "The Enemy Inside" official lyric video available Aug. 6, 2013:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoVAUUFjl0I&feature=youtu.be
      Original preview (Aug. 5, 2013):  https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2013/08/05/dream-theater-enemy-inside-premiere/2613895/

Other info regarding tracks

It was confirmed on YouTube (28th March, 2013) that at least one of these songs is instrumental. Episode 2 of the RoadRunner podcast later confirmed that one song on the album is longer than twenty minutes, but also stated that at least one song is very concise, running under five minutes. (3rd July, 2013)

Working Titles

Working titles for all songs were revealed in a cut of Over the Edge's "InStudio" documentary, through the RoadRunner UK website. (7th June, 2013.)

1. Reap the Harvest
2. Bad Larry
3. Vinegar Seed
4. Dolphin Safe
5. The Clover
6. Along for the Ride
7. Epic
8. Smoothen

Other tracks listed on the same board are an opening song, called "YARGGG," and a tenth track called "Easter Egg." Of these, only Along for the Ride appears to have retained its title. As there are only eight songs on the board, and nine tracks on the album, it seems likely that at least one of YARGGG and Easter Egg is listed among the final tracklist. As YARGGG was listed as an intro track, one possibility is that it became the False Awakening Suite. Note that these songs are unlikely to be listed in track order – during the Systematic Chaos sessions, for instance, the numbers referred to the order in which the songs were written.

It has also been confirmed that one of these tracks is instrumental. (28th March, 2013) Judging by the chart, this would appear to be The Clover.

Confirmed personnel
James LaBrie - Vocals
Mike Mangini - Drums
John Myung - Bass
John Petrucci - Guitar
Jordan Rudess - Keyboard

Richard Chycki - Engineer (Confirmed 5th Jan, 2013)
Eren Başbuğ (Confirmed 23rd June, 2013)

N.B. The identity of the cover artist has yet to be confirmed.

Release date
24th September, 2013. (Confirmed 6th June, 2013)

Note that CD release dates vary by territory, often to synchronise with the weekly charts. Billboard is compiled on a Monday, so CDs release in the USA on Tuesdays to provide a full week of sales. In the UK, the album will almost certainly be released 23rd September for Sunday's charts, and in Germany it's likely to be released as early as Friday the 20th.

Label
Roadrunner Records, as part of a new three-album deal. (Confirmed 3rd Dec, 2012)

Recording schedule
Dream Theater entered Cove City Sound Studios on Long Island in the first week of January, 2013.

Drum recording began at some point between the 6th and the 9th April, 2013, and drums and guitar had both been finished by the 11th April, with bass shortly to follow. Any last music writing had also been finished by the 11th. By 23rd April, 2013, keyboard recording was already taking place. A photo-shoot for the album took place on the 8th and 9th May, 2013.

By 18th May, 2013, John Petrucci had written his final lyrics for the album. The band finished recording vocals on 29th May, 2013, at which point John Petrucci commenced recording solos – traditionally the last part of the album. Recording wrapped on 31st May, 2013.

Mixing began on 11th June, 2013 and continued until 28th June. Mastering then began on 2nd July.

On 6th June, 2013 a photo of James LaBrie recording vocals was posted to the Cove City Facebook page where a sheet of lyrics, apparently from The Enemy Inside, was clearly visible. The photo has since been taken down, but the timestamp can be confirmed here.

Lyrics
John Myung has stated his intention to write lyrics for a song on the new album. (Confirmed 28th March, 2013)

In the Studio with Dream Theater (official videos):
Episode 1:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc_1fwJmBk8
Episode 2:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTPg6xpZkG0
Episode 3:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIzd4zAT6Hs&feature=youtu.be
Episode 4:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ox5X5E9Mw&feature=youtu.be

Chart Positions

Argentina: #3
Australia: #15
Austria: #7
Canada: #5
Czech Republic: #5
Denmark: #6
Finland: #2
France: #18
Germany: #4
Italy: #2
Japan: #1
Netherlands: #4
Norway: #7
Poland: #4
Portugal: #10
Spain: #10
Sweden: #5
Switzerland: #5
UK: #15
UK Rock Chart: #1
US Billboard 200: #7

Album Pre-order information:

DREAM THEATER'S 2013 SELF TITLED ALBUM NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER!
Pre-order your copy now on iTunes: https://smarturl.it/dtitunes

OR

Get your physical copies at the below links!

Limited Edition Box Set - https://smarturl.it/dtlimitededitionbox

2LP 180gram Vinyl - https://smarturl.it/dtvinyl

Deluxe Special Edition - https://smarturl.it/dtdeluxeedition

Standard Edition - https://smarturl.it/dtselftitled
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 05:45:34 AM by cyberdrummer »

Offline robwebster

Re: Dream Theater's Twelfth Album - Fact Finder
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 06:03:12 AM »
Quotes 'n' Notes

Re-Signing with Roadrunner

Press release:
“We are all very excited to be re-signing with Roadrunner Records! Over the past 5 years from the release of Systematic Chaos to our latest A Dramatic Turn of Events, we've developed strong creative and professional bonds with everyone at Roadrunner as well as many great friendships along the way. [...] They are a record company we relate to as an organization firmly rooted in its ideals and mission, while always pushing the envelope in an effort to keep things moving ever forward. We’ve reached many career defining milestones while at Roadrunner and are all incredibly pumped in anticipation of our continued future together!”
(Dream Theater - DreamTheater.net - 3rd December 2012)

Why they stayed:
"There were other offers that we were considering, but we definitely felt strongest about Roadrunner and building on the relationships and the history. With the people that are there, and what we’ve done together, and how they know how we operate and how we know they operate, there’s a lot to be said for that. When the label understands the band, and the band understands the label, there’s a bond. [...] Since that relationship was strengthened and developed over three albums, continuing made so much sense."
(John Petrucci – MetalInsider.net – 7th December 2012.)

Release Schedule

Initial Plans:
"We’re on the same schedule as A Dramatic Turn of Events, meaning that we entered the studio at the same time to work on that album, and it didn’t come out until September. It’s too early to tell if it will follow the same release schedule. By the time we’re done, writing, recording, mixing, mastering, it could be May-ish, and then we hit the Summer festival season in Europe around July or so, it’ll probably be a similar schedule."
(John Petrucci – MetalInsider.net – 7th December 2012.)

Tracks and Lyrics

Mangini's writing:
“The main difference is that this time we have Mike Mangini in the studio with us. The last time we were in the studio we had no drummer, we had a drum machine, so the drum machine was a compositional tool for us – to get ideas down, and to make sure we understood the rhythmic aspects of what we were writing. This time, the drums can play a real role.”
(Jordan Rudess – Noisecreep.com – 11th January 2013.)

Myung's lyrics:
“This question is submitted from @EmilMoodysson, and the question is, ‘Is there any chance John Myung will be writing lyrics on this album?’ And the answer is… yes! There’s a bunch of songs here, and I’ll most likely take one, and I’m looking forward to that.”
(John Myung – Twitter Q&A (Via YouTube) – 28th March 2013.)

Instrumental track:
“We actually finished the instrumental not too long ago, and it’s really cool, and I can’t wait for you to hear it.”
(John Myung – Twitter Q&A (Via YouTube) – 28th March 2013.)

Band interviews:

Mike Mangini interview by Metal Insider on July 31, 2013
John Petrucci interview by Ultimate Guitar on August 12, 2013

Track by Track

1. False Awakening Suite
"When we play live and before we hit the stage, we like to have some sort of dramatic piece of music and something cinematic to bring us onstage. The last tour was a piece from the movie "Inception" and it was kinda like, "Well, let's write our own. We can do this. How hard could it be?" So we wrote our own cinematic opening and the cool thing is it has real strings on it and it has that cinematic vibe but it's in the style of metal and it's kind of a progressive version of it. It's our spin on that type of opening."
(John Petrucci - Ultimate Guitar: "You Don't Have to Be Afraid" - 12th August 2013.)

2. The Enemy Inside
The Enemy Inside was released to the public on Monday 5th August 2013. The lyric video is available here, and was released on the 6th.

3. The Looking Glass

4. Enigma Machine
Confirmed as an instrumental in an interview with John Petrucci, conducted by Ultimate Guitar and published 12th August 2013.

5. The Bigger Picture
"To me with producing - and this goes to the song The Bigger Picture - it's being able to step back and really see what you're trying to do from the beginning. Then to put all the pieces in place so that you follow that road to where when you're done you can say, "OK, this is what I expected it to be. I did all the things that made it happen." That's really, really important to me to keep that focus and to have a really good grasp of the bigger picture, and that's what that song is actually about."
(John Petrucci - Ultimate Guitar: "You Don't Have to Be Afraid" - 12th August 2013.)

"The Bigger Picture is like a show closer where it's so poignant and the melody is really strong and you want to sing along to it and it's very open and simpler in a lot of ways."

6. Behind the Veil

7. Surrender to Reason
"That's just a reckless solo. That's the type of thing where I transport myself into a small, smoky club with a trio. It's late at night and you're just going for it. I wanted to make that solo right in your face. With the exception of during the pick scratches, the whole solo is just dry - just really obnoxious and dry and right in your face. I would have went on longer if I could but that's it."

8. Along for the Ride

9. Illumination Theory
"The first thing you start with is that you go in knowing, "OK, this is gonna be an epic piece. It's gonna be 20 minutes long." You know you have room for parts to develop and grow. Once you do that you can get a good idea of the type of shape of it that you want. For example in this case, I knew I wanted us to do an atmospheric breakdown in the center with almost like a ballet-sounding string thing just to be totally, totally different in the middle. Similarly with the ending progression that's repeating, that's something we had worked on at a soundcheck in Asia at one point. As soon as we did that, I'm like, "This will be used for the ending of a song somewhere on our next album." So you have an idea and you have these little pins like on a map. It's a matter of shaping what happens in-between those moments."

"After all the silence at the very end? Yeah, that's like a little Easter egg we stuck in there. It has a very string kind of sound to it."
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:58:46 PM by ariich »

Offline robwebster

Re: Dream Theater's Twelfth Album - Fact Finder
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 06:03:28 AM »
NB: This is a fact finder thread, shortly to be locked and stickied at Nick's request. I hope it's fairly comprehensive, but there's always a chance that I've missed something, so if you have any corrections, suggestions or new information, do e-mail dtfactfinder@outlook.com, and I'll incorporate it into subsequent drafts.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: "Dream Theater" by Dream Theater - Fact Finder
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »
Updated 7th June 2013.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 02:40:36 AM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 03:37:55 PM »
Updated 9th July, thanks to Rob for providing me with the update!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 09:05:36 AM »
Updated 7/23 to include links to all three "in studio" videos.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 10:37:23 AM »
Updated for Mike Mangini interview.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 10:28:21 AM »
Updated to include info regarding The Enemy Inside as the first single release Aug. 5, 2013

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 09:12:02 AM »
The Enemy Insider link updated.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 09:09:14 AM »
Updated to include:  (1) album pre-order information and (2) TEI official lyric video

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 12:59:58 PM »
Updated second post with link to new JP interview, and brand new Track By Track section with descriptions of what we know!

Thanks to Rob again for all the collation and formatting. :)

I be am boner inducing.