Author Topic: DREAM THEATER INVITE THE BERKLEE COLLEGE OF MUSIC TO JOIN THEM IN BOSTON  (Read 22496 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
DREAM THEATER
--GRAMMY-NOMINATED PROGRESSIVE METAL TITANS--
INVITE THE ESTEEMED BERKLEE COLLEGE OF MUSIC
TO JOIN THEM FOR A ONE-OF-A-KIND SHOW
AT THE BOSTON OPERA HOUSE ON TUESDAY, MARCH 25, 2014

THIS EVENT WILL BE RECORDED FOR RELEASE AND IS PART OF THE BAND’S “ALONG FOR THE RIDE” NORTH AMERICAN TOUR LAUNCHING MARCH 20 IN SUPPORT OF THEIR NEW SELF-TITLED ALBUM

TICKETS ARE AVAILABLE HERE: https://HTTP://TINYURL.COM/N2FWVDX

THE BAND RECENTLY EARNED THEIR SECOND GRAMMY NOMINATION
FOR “BEST METAL PERFORMANCE” FOR THEIR SINGLE “THE ENEMY INSIDE”

DREAM THEATER--Grammy-nominated progressive metal titans--have invited the esteemed Berklee College of Music to join them for a one-of-a-kind show on the band’s upcoming “Along For The Ride” North American tour, when they visit the Boston Opera House on Tuesday, March 25. Tickets for this event start at $35 and are available here: https://tinyurl.com/n2fwvdx.

DREAM THEATER was founded in 1985 when founding members--guitarist John Petrucci, bassist John Myung, and former drummer Mike Portnoy--attended the Berklee College of Music.

Also adding to the significance of this collaboration: Mike Mangini (drums), who joined the band in 2010, is a former faculty member of the Berklee College of Music.

This special homecoming will be captured and recorded for a later release. DREAM THEATER will be joined by special guest ensembles the Berklee World Strings and the Berklee Concert Choir for the second half of the set. The ensembles will layer distinct dramatic elements to DREAM THEATER's production. The World Strings are an international group of creative improvisers who play with rhythmic qualities seldom heard from string instruments. The Concert Choir stretches its repertoire from traditional and contemporary music through a wide range of genres.

DREAM THEATER recently earned a second Grammy nomination for “Best Metal Performance” for the single “The Enemy Inside” from their current self-titled worldwide smash album (released September 24, 2013 on Roadrunner Records).

“DREAM THEATER” made a spectacular debut this past fall, topping Billboard’s “Hard Rock Albums” chart while simultaneously entering at #7 on the overall Billboard 200. The extraordinary chart position marked the group’s third consecutive top 10 debut, and also saw "DREAM THEATER" making top 5 chart debuts in Japan, Germany, Italy, Canada, Argentina, Switzerland, Holland, and Finland, as well as top 10 debuts in Denmark, Austria, and Norway, with career high debuts in the United Kingdom and Australia.

The band recently announced new tour dates for their North American headlining run which will pick up on March 20th in Toronto, ON following the band’s European tour.

For up-to-the-minute news, tour dates and ticket information, please visit https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=24446

So, here's the source: https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5862286/dream-theater-planting-seeds-for-album-no-13

Directly (well, not really directly, but assuming the journalist's pen is as neutral and true as it should be, we might as well say directly!) off the  lips of JP, we know that something cool is being organized for the upcoming March gig in Boston.

So, ideas, wishes? Will there be guests? Especially special songs? Anniversary occasions for the day? Meteorite showers? All or none of the above? Kevin Moore?

Let's talk about this!  :yarr

For myself, I'm rather curious to see what they have in mind to top Luna Park, assuming this is indeed the show that will be taped, which isn't at all a certainty. Obviously they can't use again the string quarted, or at least not only that. So, I'm pleasantly intrigued!  :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 08:27:34 AM by cyberdrummer »
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: A Cool Event in BOSTON...!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 04:52:48 PM »
Mike Mangini on all lead vocals, please.

:biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 04:54:43 PM »
Hopefully we find out soon. Obviously I'm intrigued!

A live taping would be great. The shift to The Opera House from the Orpheum was interesting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 04:55:08 PM »
Awake in its entirety?

Also: Good I bought my ticket!
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 04:55:48 PM »
When Mike and Mike ReUnite! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 04:56:30 PM »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 04:58:39 PM »
Relevant question: how's the acustic at the Orpheum? I recall that Boston bootlegs have become way better sounding in later times, I hope that wasn't due to the band choosing other, better sounding venues rather than the tapers becoming increasingly skilled.
- Marco

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 05:03:58 PM »
Imagine there is an actual real-life equivalent to "shitting bricks", only that while doing so you decide to shit a building. Problem is, your innards are molding from a diet of Guinness and Indian food.

The resulting building is the Orpheum.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 05:05:26 PM »
 I know Rumbo hates the Orpheum.  The Opera house is fantastic.  I've seen a few plays there with the wife and it was awesome sounding.  Interesting to see how it translates to a rock concert.

How about them playing all of the first Boston album?

HA!  Ninja'd!!! :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 05:11:08 PM »
Looking at the article, there's no confirmation on whether the "cool thing" is taking place on the March 25 gig or not.

Hopefully it'll be something more interesting than playing a couple songs with a guy on strings, which happened during the first ADTOE tour. Talk about underwhelming. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline dparrott

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 05:20:41 PM »
Season premiere/return of MTV Unplugged :) 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 05:22:55 PM »
In all fairness, that thing wasn't hyped all that much, and by the way, Eugene Friesen is not just one guy on a cello for DT fans, you know :D
I think Boston 2011 was meant to be a regular show with a little extra.

- Marco

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 05:24:35 PM »
In all fairness, that thing wasn't hyped all that much, and by the way, Eugene Friesen is not just one guy on a cello for DT fans, you know :D
I think Boston 2011 was meant to be a regular show with a little extra.

Well, that's what it felt like at the show. :lol

But yeah, it wasn't hyped much, they just announced that there would be a special guest the morning before. This sounds like it'll be a bit more interesting.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 05:28:29 PM »
Well I saw some drummer jump on stage to do a dual drum solo in 2002.  It was foreshadowing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 05:34:13 PM »
I think what we can get could be a DVD recording, a live album or a bootleg and perhaps one of those goes attached with an anniversary performance for either/both Scenes From a Memory or/and Awake.

I don't think it will be the DVD recording for this tour cycle because JP himself stated there will be one, but they don't know where yet, and the only thing we know about this "cool event" is the "where". Not even the date. I'm really curious about what it'll be, though. I could place my bet on anniversary bootlegs of one or both albums I mentioned.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 06:06:57 PM »
Here's an idea :

Don't film at Luna Park again. Or with Over The Edge.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 06:26:15 PM »
WDADU turns 25 March 6, 1989.
Awake turns 20 October 4th.
SFAM turns 15 October 26th.
If the Boston show is the 25th and they wanted it to celebrate an album, my money's on WDADU 25th anniversary, and maybe filmed to show Mangini on the whole thing (maybe with special guests Portnoy and/or Dominici?).
Or maybe they'll only play their epics for one show. IT, SDOIT, Octavarium, ACOS, TCOT, ITPOE. That's over 150 minutes. That'd be cool ;)

Offline pgf

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 06:54:08 PM »
Since Berklee is in Boston, maybe they will bring Eren and a string quartet to play the string section of IT, rather than doing whatever they have planned for the rest of the tour.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 06:54:12 PM »
An Epic Evening With Dream Theater !

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 06:59:05 PM »
Since Berklee is in Boston, maybe they will bring Eren and a string quartet to play the string section of IT, rather than doing whatever they have planned for the rest of the tour.

I have  a feeling that you are right
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 07:07:40 PM »
Awake in its entirety?

20 yr anniv! That's my guess! Wish I could be there!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 07:08:58 PM »
Saw them on the Awake tour at Berkley. :biggrin:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 07:09:32 PM »

And I hope you're right!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 07:29:12 PM »

Really?  That's odd.  I would have thought they'd be much more likely to play Berklee.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 07:31:40 PM »
I can't imagine that this will be anything other than some special guests making an appearance. Maybe they'll play something special for the occasion, but I have my doubts.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 07:36:04 PM »
How about them playing all of the first Boston album?

HA!  Ninja'd!!! :lol

Oooohhhh .... I like this!!   :metal

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 07:37:33 PM »
I'm kinda hoping they don't play an old album in its entirety, unless they expand the set time. I'd rather see them play a full, diverse setlist.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 07:38:19 PM »
I can't imagine that this will be anything other than some special guests making an appearance. Maybe they'll play something special for the occasion, but I have my doubts.

Just an addition to fan-dreams, but wouldn't it be neat if they played Awake in the second set, end it at the end of "Scarred", then bring out Kevin Moore to play "Space-Dye Vest" and then bring out Derek Sherinian to play "A Change of Seasons" for the encore?! Sure, that'd be a 30 minute encore, but who cares! It'd be something special, alright, and it would be a night to remember.

It would still give them about 70-80 minutes to play with in the first set, which is more than enough time to play new music and some other songs.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 07:39:43 PM »

Just an addition to fan-dreams, but wouldn't it be neat if they played Awake in the second set, end it at the end of "Scarred", then bring out Kevin Moore to play "Space-Dye Vest" and then bring out Derek Sherinian to play "A Change of Seasons" for the encore?! Sure, that'd be a 30 minute encore, but who cares! It'd be something special, alright, and it would be a night to remember.

It would still give them about 70-80 minutes to play with in the first set, which is more than enough time to play new music and some other songs.

-Marc.

That sounds torturous. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 07:40:46 PM »
no u

:P

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2014, 07:52:55 PM »

-Marc.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2014, 08:14:05 PM »

Really?  That's odd.  I would have thought they'd be much more likely to play Berklee.

You got me there partner.  I still saw them as B   e    r    k    l    e    e .  Did I do that right? :P :lol

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2014, 08:29:43 PM »

And I hope you're right!

I got a good feeling about this one as well!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2014, 08:40:43 PM »
Yes! DVD of the new tour.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 08:43:19 PM »
I would guess the Awake album in full, though that would make one wonder about SDV and if  that were the deal how could they not document that with a DVD release?   The other guess is what someone said about Eren playing strings with other musicians on random songs. 

Here's an idea :

Don't film at Luna Park again. Or with Over The Edge.

Thanks for the facts!