Author Topic: 425's Top 50 Dream Theater Songs v. Singularities  (Read 30202 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 425's Top 50 Dream Theater Songs v. Singularities
« Reply #315 on: February 06, 2014, 08:11:45 PM »
I can live with that  ;D 

I can't see myself putting DTF through my Top 50 DT songs as it would be way too predictable and very much concentrated around 3-4 albums.............I&W probably wouldn't get a mention until close to the Top 10 or 15 and then it'd be all over it.  ;D

Out of the non -I&W songs that would be strong contenders BAI is certainly right up there and a worthy #1  - it brings together everything I like best about DT .........musicianship, melody and complexity.  Unlike a number of other DT songs of similar length it doesn't overstay its welcome either - enough going on with the melodies to keep my interest from start to finish.

So you cheated on Learning to Live with BAI  :'(

3. The Count of Tuscany
2. Octavarium
1. Breaking All Illusions

Two songs that i wouldn't even put in my top 50 together with 8V, which we both have near the same spot :rollin

But talking seriously, they are the most overrated DT songs ever imo.

COT over rated - yeah I could agree.  BAI - not at all IMO.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #316 on: February 06, 2014, 08:13:02 PM »
Seriously though, this is a good choice. It's a great song, even though I wouldn't place it quite so high.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #317 on: February 06, 2014, 08:14:57 PM »
5/5 for my Top 5 guesses  :biggrin:

Completely overrated, but still great. I really love the music in it, but it leaves me bored. It feels way too long, but it also feels the right length...I don't know it's very frustrating because I do love the song. It just for some reason make me bored  :lol

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #318 on: February 06, 2014, 09:22:29 PM »
BAI is the best song off of ADTOE, without question. Until recently, I didn't grasped what that album had to offer, but on first listen BAI just blew me away, and it still does. I wouldn't have it as high as #1, but that's why this is your list. :tup

3. The Count of Tuscany
2. Octavarium
1. Breaking All Illusions

Two songs that i wouldn't even put in my top 50 together with 8V, which we both have near the same spot :rollin

But talking seriously, they are the most overrated DT songs ever imo.

Both are not overrated in the slightest at all IMO. The love they get is pretty well deserved. (In fact, TCOT is probably underrated in the sense that I see far more dislike for it than love).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: 425's Top 50 Dream Theater Songs v. Top 10 Tomorrow
« Reply #319 on: February 06, 2014, 11:01:22 PM »
1. Learning to Live
2. Far From Heaven
3. Metropolis
4. Trial of Tears
5. Octavarium
6. The Dark Eternal Night (eugh :<)
7. In The Name of God
8. The Count of Tuscany
9. The Answer Lies Within
10. Breaking All Illusions

8 out of 10, not half bad. Even if I put your #1 at #10 :lol
I don't know if BAI is 100% my favorite Petrucci solo but it's unquestionably top 5. I don't think I could pick a favorite. I mean, goddamn, we have LITS too, and TBOT as well... Petrucci is really a legend though, that man knows how to goddamn play a guitar.
Anyways, BAI is a faaaantastic song and it being a #1 is both something I haven't seen before and something I am certainly elated about

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #320 on: February 07, 2014, 03:41:20 AM »
Breking All Illusions is a great song overall, but it doesn't beat LTL in my opionion. Still, you have a nice taste.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #321 on: February 07, 2014, 07:48:59 AM »
BAI is definitely worthy of top 1.
I also like it more than LTL, so have a :tup.

I really enjoyed this list and actually agree with the top 10 for the most part once in a while.  :lol

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #322 on: February 07, 2014, 08:06:49 AM »
I agree with half of your top 10: ITNOG,TO :'(,LTL, Metropolis and 8V (though i only have two of those in my top 10, which is more of an enjoyment thing rather than the three others don't being worthy of praise).
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.