Author Topic: 425's Top 50 Dream Theater Songs v. Singularities  (Read 30209 times)

Offline 425

425's Top 50 Dream Theater Songs v. Singularities
« on: January 04, 2014, 11:06:25 PM »
Okay, I suppose I'll start with a bit of background:
I became a Dream Theater fan a little over a year ago when I got Images and Words. I had Train of Thought a few months prior, but I wasn't a dedicated fan until I got IAW. I've just recently gotten out of the honeymoon phase of listening to Dream Theater almost exclusively, but I'm still one of those people who gets tarred as being a "fanboy," in that I think almost all of DT's songs are good. I really like all different types of Dream Theater songs, and though I came from a metal background, my current leanings are more in a prog direction. So it's not like this list is going to be all one side of DT's catalog. What I really love is music with great melodies and emotional depth (hence: Dream Theater). One other relevant thing about my background is that I am not a musician and have no knowledge of music theory. So when describing songs... I'll try my best, but I may say dumb things.

Okay, this list is going to be formatted like a normal list, you know, #50 then #49 etc. But, here's the thing. I love all of the songs on this list so strongly that they're all very close together. On any given day, for example, #37 and #38 could be switched, or even #26 and #38. I did my best to put it in order, but it's not really a set in stone thing, because I think it's really just impossible for me to come up with a definitive ranking. So before you get all "ZOMG #37 should be higher than #33," realize that those songs are so close in my regard that I probably halfway agree with you already.

Also, if anyone gets inspired to try and guess what I'm going to be putting next on my list by looking through my posting history to see if I left in clues there, you should know that that's not going to work. My tastes have shifted a lot over time and there's plenty of times on this forum where I've said "xyz is a top 20 song!" about a song that won't even be appearing on this list.

I plan to do two songs per day until I get to the top 10 and then do one per day, which should be exactly 30 days. Also, today, I'm going to start by listing six honorable mentions—some of the many songs that came close and that break my heart to be left out of the top 50, but over which I approximately prefer 50 DT songs.

So without further adieu: the honorable mentions—#s 51-56 (in the next post for the sake of neatness, this post will just contain a recap of the list).

Recap:
56. Constant Motion
55. The Shattered Fortress
54. Wither
53. The Looking Glass
52. Raise the Knife
51. Panic Attack
50. Along for the Ride
49. Voices
48. This Dying Soul
47. Blind Faith
46. The Mirror
45. Home
44. Hollow Years
43. Eve
42. Sacrificed Sons
41. The Spirit Carries On
40. Another Day
39. In the Presence of Enemies
38. One Last Time
37. Pull Me Under
36. Another Hand/The Killing Hand
35. Vacant
34. A Fortune in Lies
33. This Is the Life
32. Finally Free
31. A Change of Seasons
30. Stream of Consciousness
29. Beneath the Surface
28. On the Backs of Angels
27. Endless Sacrifice
26. Caught In a Web
25. Only a Matter of Time
24. The Ministry of Lost Souls
23. Scarred
22. These Walls
21. 6:00
20. Beyond This Life
19. The Glass Prison
18. Under a Glass Moon
17. Take the Time
16. Illumination Theory
15. Lines in the Sand
14. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
13. Space-Dye Vest
12. Surrounded
11. Wait for Sleep
10. The Bigger Picture
9. In the Name of God
8. A Nightmare to Remember
7. Far From Heaven
6. Trial of Tears
5. Learning to Live
4. Metropolis, Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper
3. The Count of Tuscany
2. Octavarium
1. Breaking All Illusions
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:49:03 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline 425

Re: 425's Top 50 Dream Theater Songs v. I don't have a witty title for this
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 11:08:27 PM »
56. Constant Motion

Tunnel vision at blinding speed
Controlling my thoughts, obsessing me

This is, of course, an unapologetically energetic heavy metal song. John Petrucci takes the lead with some very memorable riffs, namely that intro riff. My favorite riff, though, is the prechorus riff. I cannot describe very clearly in words my reaction to this riff, but it is just such a brilliant, fist-pumping part that leads perfectly into "Traveling through both space and time..." The solo section is a fun bit, particularly the guitar solo. The keyboard solo is a bit chaotic and hard to follow sometimes, but it fits well into the song.

One of the major elements of this song, and one that I think causes so many to dislike it, is the prominent role of Mike Portnoy's vocals and resulting reduced role for James. I can understand this, but I strongly disagree. I think Mike's voice gives the song some interesting vocal melodies that are of a unique variety in Dream Theater's discography, and he compliments James quite well in this song. The chorus, particularly, is so damn catchy because of the tradeoffs. I also love the second verse section, again because of Mike and James trading off lines, culminating in "Insane random thoughts of neat disorder" and then back into a section of vocal unison. How fun! Which is what this song really is, as a whole: a lot of fun. Dream Theater certainly has better songs, but few that are simply more fun.

Words:
Okay, so these are not Dream Theater's best lyrics ever. I'm not really even sure what "Forevermore, into the night, blistering" is supposed to mean. But, honestly, they're not bad. Mike's intended message about the obsessive nature of his personality is clear, well chosen to fit the music, and phrased quite well at parts. I don't have obsessive compulsive disorder, but I do have an obsessive personality and can empathize with these lyrics, since at times I do have "tunnel vision at blinding speed," and it is sometimes true that "no matter what I've found, I can never get enough." So while these aren't the best lyrics throughout the entire song, I like them and give them a pass for any rough patches because they are relatable to me personally.

55. The Shattered Fortress

I am responsible
When anyone, anywhere reaches out for help

The final song in the Twelve-Step Suite has always gotten a lot of flak, too much in my opinion, for being something of a medley. Yes, it reuses riffs, but they serve a purpose in concluding the suite, there are new lyrics and new melodies, and it really is its own song, and quite a good one at that—it's my third favorite in the Suite.

The introduction is simply killer. That riff builds slowly from Wither or Repentance, whichever way you're coming from, and then goes into a reprise of a number of melodies from the suite. It's quite an epic intro, and the song doesn't let up, carrying the listener right into the tradeoffs at the beginning. INVENTORY! Really, the whole Restraint section is exceedingly epic. The music does seem to me to suggest the image of a "fateful assent from darkest fires." James, by the way, sounds very sharp on this track, as he does on all of Black Clouds & Silver Linings.

The Receive section, after the solos, is probably the weakest part of the song. I'm rather ambivalent about the deep-voiced Portnoy voiceovers, and I somewhat agree with those who say that the transition out of that section is a bit sudden, though not jarringly so.

In any case, from there, we just race ahead to the epic finish. The riffing and soloing right before the vocals just builds things up so beautifully to that big release in James's final lines in the suite. Then, of course, this being Portnoy, we had to have the outro reprising earlier themes from the suite and ending in static. It's well done, though perhaps a bit too predictable (before hearing the song I did have at least an inkling that it would end in static).

On the whole, this song concludes the suite well and I don't have an issue with the reprises. This song is certainly worthy of belonging to the same composition as the other four parts.

Words:
I'm not overly familiar with the Twelve Steps, so I can't judge how well Mike presented the subject matter, but I do very much like the way he rewrote lyrics from earlier in the suite to reflect the positive outcome, like "fateful ascent" or "keep all of me." And the lyrics definitely read like they are describing the conclusion of an epic journey, so that's a good thing in my book.

54. Wither

I drown in hesitation
My words come crashing down

A gorgeous yet dark ballad that serves as a breather in Black Clouds & Silver Linings. Beautiful vocal melodies and great use of both clean and distorted guitar throughout the song, climaxing on the very good (if short) solo. John's backing vocals on the chorus are also a nice touch. This is a John song all the way, but Jordan's subtle contributions also add to the music. On the titular EP, we get to hear different versions of the song, too, which is fun. The piano version definitely has a different vibe, and though I think I'll take the album version, this one is good too. The version where John sings the lead is an interesting change, and I like that they included it, but it's obvious that the song is out of his natural range from the pitch correction and therefore it's certainly no comparison for the James version. Overall, this song is quite good but isn't expansive or deep enough to be one of my very favorites.

Words:
Wither has lyrics that are among my favorites of John's later output. I generally think he's a strong enough lyricist, but is the basic workhorse of lyric writing—he doesn't do anything spectacular most of the time, but all of his lyrics are at minimum, fairly good. My main gripes with his writing are that does tend to fall into some of his own tropes some of the time (water's edge), and that he sometimes writes words that are somewhat impersonal and devoid of emotion. Wither falls victim to neither, and is a brilliant description of the emotional impacts of writer's block. Absolutely dripping with powerful emotional imagery, as in the above quote.

53. The Looking Glass

Rather be stripped of all your pride
Than watch your dreams be cast aside

Before anything else: Yes, it sounds like Rush. Yes, the opening riff sounds like Limelight. But this is not a Rush ripoff. The song is still distinctly Dream Theater.

It is one of the songs on the self-titled where they do sound at times like a power trio + James, and Jordan certainly does take a back seat to Mike and the Johns (Myung is super audible and he sounds awesome!), but Jordan's subtle contributions in the back of the mix are nice (the piano bit after the intro and the stuff under the second verse section). What's really great about this song is that it really is a very concise rock song that has a catchy chorus (well sung by James) but does have some of the complexity and virtuoisity that we've come to expect and love from Dream Theater. John P's solo is a good one and well-placed as a transition into the last chorus. I will register this complaint, which I have about all of DT12: James really just sounds too processed, too layered, too doubled at times. I would like to hear them play most of the album, but this song particularly, live without too many triggered parts so we could get a more natural vocal.

Words:
The negative effects of fame is a topic that has been done before, namely by Rush in Limelight, which is an obvious inspiration for this song, but this is the first time we really hear John's take. I find John's perspective on this to be more relatable personally than Neil Peart's, because unlike Neil, I don't entirely shy away from attention. John seems to understand the initial motives of the fame seeker in these lyrics while at the same time criticizing the action of getting carried away with it and giving away yourself and your pride in the process. Not elite among Dream Theater lyrics, but they fit well in the song (particular with the Rushiness of it all) and are interesting enough.

52. Raise the Knife

Tortured artist bears his soul
Seems the pressure took its toll

Just to clarify, this is the only song from the 1996-97 sessions not on the Falling Into Infinity album that was even under consideration for this list. The reason is simply that the sound quality on the FII Demos is too low for me to really enjoy the songs that are on there, so I can't tell if I like them or not. Raise the Knife has the Score version, so I'm able to tell that I really like it.

This is a trademark 10-15 minute DT prog rock song. It is perhaps not as top-of-the-line and memorable throughout to reach the level of DT's best songs of this variety, but it still is a musical adventure without a dull moment. The variety of moods through which it travels seems ready-made for the emotional roller-coaster of Mike Portnoy's lyrics. The instrumental section of the song is perhaps not the typical DT instrumental, but I quite like it, particularly as a buildup to that last chorus.

The centerpiece of this song is honestly the chorus. One thing I'll mention often throughout this list that I think DT doesn't get enough credit for is writing brilliant and catchy choruses. This is one of those. I don't recall exactly who sings on the studio demo, but James and Mike trade lines very well on the Score version to really make it a memorable section. Speaking of James, he does well on the live performance, bringing the needed anger to sections like "Self-serving abortion" and the sadness to parts like "Until I turned my back on you my friend." Very well done.

Words:
I'm going to say this right now because it's going to come up a lot in this list: I really like Mike Portnoy and find that I think in a similar way to him from what I've seen. Raise the Knife is no exception, though I do want to clarify that I do not have anything personally against Kevin Moore—I do not know him and I will not take Mike Portnoy's description of his personality at face value. I do think Kevin is a great musician. Nevertheless, I empathize a lot with some of the words of Raise the Knife. I know exactly the type of person that Mike claims (rightly or wrongly) that Kevin Moore is in the section about him, and I tend to share Mike's perspective about that kind of person. Additionally, I recently came back to this song and it improved in my estimation because of a split I had with a friend who in some respects fit into the "tortured artist" description, and I do feel like I was making a significant life change—raising the knife to a picture of a life I once knew.

This song, more than any other, I think, has the potential to grow tremendously to my ear the more I listen to and relate to it. I'm already doubting this spot as I listen to it for this write-up, but I do know that there are a lot of songs that I just flat-out like better. However, it is a testament to how much I love all these songs.

51. Panic Attack

I am paralyzed
So afraid to die

One of those DT songs that's just a relentless all-out assault. As a result, it does showcase their ability to make stuff that is pretty fast, very heavy and quite melodic. I mean, this song hits hard, but it's entirely hummable and never seems inaccessibly harsh. Perhaps it's John's riff-writing ability, perhaps it's James nailing those melodies, perhaps it's Jordan's regular presence throughout the track, but the song is just so delightfully melodic and almost romantic even while being very heavy.

Vocally, this is perhaps the best James has sounded on a heavy song, certainly the best since Awake. The darker tinted backing vocals probably help, but unlike on songs like The Glass Prison or Constant Motion, the lead mic is James's all the way. I've said that Octavarium is his best album post-accident and perhaps best ever, and you can call me crazy all you want, but does he not elevate this track? Those chorus falsettos. Damn.

Words:
Another in a long line of Dream Theater songs written about mental health disorders. It's pretty descriptive, and obviously fit well to the music. But other than that, it doesn't stand out among this genre of JP lyrics, especially compared to stuff like About to Crash, Losing Time or Misunderstood.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:21:05 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 11:14:46 PM »
Voices off the Top 50.. BOOOOO   

:lol

I like how you are doing the write-ups by the way.  I'll be following this. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 11:35:02 PM »
Also disappointed that there will be no Erotomania on here.
How can you criticize the demo's audio quality and not DT12's? I think the FII demos sound a lot better than DT12. They're rough yeah but DT12 is just too overprocessed and that's even worse.
Voices this low really is a crime though. Hope you have some other good tricks up your sleeve.
I may stick to reading just the first section of these write-ups because very rarely do lyrics affect my opinion of a song and when they do it's usually negative... might read them anyways though because whynotlol

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 12:08:23 AM »
Voices really is many places too low, and the others are great picks.

I'm enjoying your write-up style here. Pretty unique. :tup Definitely following.

Offline 425

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 12:24:54 AM »

I'm enjoying your write-up style here. Pretty unique. :tup Definitely following.

Thanks!

How can you criticize the demo's audio quality and not DT12's? I think the FII demos sound a lot better than DT12. They're rough yeah but DT12 is just too overprocessed and that's even worse.

Well, I have the HDTracks of DT12 if it makes a difference. But with DT12, the only bit of the production that bothers me is the vocals, which do definitely sound overprocessed. I think the rest could have been better but don't bother me. Even if they are a bit too polished, each instrument has a very clear sound.

The FII demos, on the other hand, have a lot of extraneous noise that gives me a headache after a while and the instruments aren't clear. The mix is also not very good (obviously since it is a demo), it is far too bassy while the guitar is weak, which may contribute to my headache.

So though DT12 does sound a bit too polished, and I don't like the artistic choice for the vocals, at least everything is clear while on the FII demos it's muttled which gives me a headache and makes it hard to hear.

Voices this low really is a crime though. Hope you have some other good tricks up your sleeve.

I'm sure some of the things I'm going to do will be surprising. In fact, I'm almost positive that my top 10 will be highly controversial.

I may stick to reading just the first section of these write-ups because very rarely do lyrics affect my opinion of a song and when they do it's usually negative... might read them anyways though because whynotlol

I'm actually not too different from you. Most of the time that lyrics seriously impact my view of a song it is in a negative way (which hasn't happened too significantly for me with DT). Mostly, it's subject matter that damages it for me: if the subject matter is too shallow or typical (or repulsive), it drives me off. But DT doesn't tend to do that (the only possible exception is Light Fuse and Get Away because of the whole meaningless sex aspect of it all). Sometimes, lyrics will draw me into a song, like I mentioned earlier with Raise the Knife, but ultimately my opinion of the song is based on the merits of the music. The lyrics are only a hook to get me to listen more closely to the music. Sometimes, lyrics will drive a song to truly elite status by being especially good, but a song can be one of my favorites even with lyrics that are good but not great. Only if the lyrics are noticeably irritating or unfitting will they significantly impact my ranking of a song.

My reason for including a lyrics section is that I do really like lyrics even though they realistically aren't significantly affecting my placement of a song most of the time. Most of the time, I have thoughts of some sort about the lyrics of a particular song that I'm looking for an opportunity to share. So don't really view the "Words" section as an explanation of my ranking, just look at it as me gushing about lyrics and perhaps sharing an interesting thought or two.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 02:07:59 AM »
Voices off the Top 50.. BOOOOO   

:lol

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 02:15:18 AM »
Voices, Wither and RTK are too low (especially Voices), TLG is nowhere near my top 50 but AFTR is good. Following!

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 07:22:54 AM »
Voices :'(

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
Nice write ups
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 09:24:52 AM »
I like the lyrics concept too. Very interesting to read some opinions about songs' lyrics. Following.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Offline 425

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 11:30:12 AM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words! And also the responses of shock at the placement of Voices.

Actually, I'm going to be basically starting off my list with a retraction. I was in a bit of a hurry to get it ready to begin on time. I was listening through the list to make sure that everything made enough sense to me to go ahead, but I only got up to around 30. I figured that the top 30 would be songs that would all at least fit in the top 50, so I could go ahead. Turns out I was wrong. There are two songs on there (Overture 1928 and Strange Deja Vu, which is why there are two), that do not belong on my top 50 in my estimation anymore. I really like both songs, but I just can't justify putting them above some of the songs that just barely missed my top 50.

So here's what I'm going to do today: I'm going to move every song up two places, including Along for the Ride and Voices, which are now #50 and #49. Since they're now in my top 50, in interest of clarity in the formatting of the list, I'm going to remove them from the honorable mentions post and put them in a new post right below this one, and then I'm going to add two songs to the honorable mentions post at #56 and #55. Tomorrow, I'll adopt a pattern of some sort that actually makes sense when I share #48 and #47. I'm sorry to be confusing right off the bat, but I really do feel a lot more passionately about including these two (Constant Motion and The Shattered Fortress) than I do about Overture 1928 and Strange Deja Vu.

So: I'm moving Voices and Along for the Ride to the next post after this one. Make sure to check the honorable mentions post for new write ups for Constant Motion and The Shattered Fortress)
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline 425

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 11:33:17 AM »
50. Along for the Ride

I will not live under a shadow of fear
Never be crippled by chaos and doubt

This may seem like This is the Life's little brother, but it's different enough to seem very much like its own song. John and James described it before the album's release as sort of an anthemic song, and I can see it. The chorus just soars above the ballady verses that surround it, and James sings it just beautifully. Like Wither, this song uses distorted guitar to add the right amount of dynamic texture while keeping the clean sections to provide a nice contrast. A particular highlight of this song (which, I don't care what anyone says, is a highlight on the new album), is the bridge, which just builds this huge tension which is finally released in Jordan's solo which is just gorgeous (I am bothered a little by the fact that it starts a tiny bit late, like more than the actual intended pause, and hope that we get a live version in the future without this error, since I assume it is an editing error and not something done either intentionally or accidentally by Jordan).

Words:
The lyrics seem a bit clichéd on first look, and it is true that they probably aren't among John's best. But they seem to just work for this kind of song and for the context of the Boston Marathon bombing. It seems like John was finding a way to rise above a devastating and tragic event, and he did write some fairly uplifting, hopeful lyrics out of what I'm sure was emotional turmoil. Though I am not religious and the song does hint at religiosity, I'm not a person who would be at all bothered by that. Clearly, religion works for John to bring this type of motivation and hope, and he was able to write lyrics ambiguous enough for me to relate to them despite the fact that I am not religious, something, by the way, that he was under no obligation to do.

49. Voices

"Love, just don't stare"
He used to say to me every Sunday morning

Voices is an interesting beast, and I think has a divided view among fans. Some of you are probably thinking that this is perfect and some of you are thinking that I've put it 40 or 45 spots too low. Well, I do love this song, but I've never loved it like some seem to. It does transition powerfully through a variety of atmospheres. It does feature top-notch performances from all the musicians, especially James, who hits all the right notes, both actual and emotional, going from "Love... Just don't stare" to "Sex is death, death is sex." It really shows his versatility, especially the versatility he had during the Awake era. This is one of those songs on which his singing abilities almost seem superhuman. Of course, John deserves some credit as well for giving him such excellent melodies that took ample advantage of his considerable abilities. John's solo is also quite good, but, like the containing song, I don't hold it in the same regard as some do.

Words:
These lyrics are some of John's most obscure, but I think they do provide some kind of narrative, confusing as it may be. I'll have to do a full analysis sometime. Until then, I love the imagery he uses, especially the religious imagery. The mysterious lyrics also seem fit to the music somehow. Or maybe it's just James's brilliant execution of them. Either way, they sound quite excellent.

Since I won't have a later opportunity, I'll add this slight tidbit of controversy: this is the first and last time you will see any part of A Mind Beside Itself on this list. Erotomania and The Silent Man are both good, but don't quite do it for me.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:20:24 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 11:36:40 AM »
Really enjoying your write up style! I'll definitely be following this with great interest.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 11:41:36 AM »
The people spoke and you listened, though Voices is still too low.   ;)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 11:54:32 AM »
Constant Motion is about where I'd put it, definitely gets too much hate. Except Rudess' solo but w/e
TSF just doesn't do anything for me as much as the other four 12-step songs do so I can never really regard it highly.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 01:43:08 PM »
I've been thinking of a cool write up style and then you appear with that. Well, the only thing I can do is to follow this cool list  :tup.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 03:10:43 PM »
Voices is too high.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 08:09:06 AM »
Great write ups! I'll be following your list!

Offline 425

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 03:41:45 PM »
Voices is too high.
The people spoke and you listened, though Voices is still too low.   ;)

Voices is an interesting beast, and I think has a divided view among fans.

Called it. ;)

Again, thanks to everyone for the praise, especially of my write-up style (I was rather worried that they would be too long and people wouldn't read them, so it's good to hear that people are liking them).

Here's the next update:

48. This Dying Soul

I wanna feel your body breaking
Wanna feel your body breaking and shaking and left in the cold

This was the first lengthy DT song I was familiar with, since Train of Thought was my first DT album. Honestly, this song just flat-out opened my eyes to the world of musical composition. Before getting this album, I was familiar with Rush and with Iron Maiden, both of which have done songs of this length, and longer in the case of Rush, but I had never heard a song before that was this complex of a composition. I was simply floored

First of all, the first couple of minutes of the song include the development a number of those great Twelve-Step Suite melodies. That's one of the first things I loved about this song: the fact that it develops melodies at the beginning and comes back to them later. This is all, of course, right after that attention-grabbing intro.

The first section of the song, Reflections of Reality (Revisited) (Part IV of the Twelve Step Suite), is just brilliant. It's brutally heavy, probably heavier than anything I had heard before I got this album, but it's also got those beautiful melodies, chief among them that gorgeous chorus that James carries so well. The "rapped" section doesn't bother me in the slightest; it's tastefully done and fits in with the rest of the song.

Then, as the Release section begins, there's that riff. You know the riff. The one that knocks your socks clean off in The Glass Prison and is no less awesome when reprised here.

The Blackened section is where it goes down a little for me. The vocal melodies are (to me) a little less memorable and the music just isn't quite as amazing as the first half of the song. I also don't like how buried Mike's voice is under effects or whatever. I'd like to be able to hear him as clearly as I can on The Glass Prison. The instrumental section and solo is also quite good (and if it is "wankery," it's fun wankery), though still not as great as the amazing Reflections of Reality section.

Overall, this song gets nostalgia points for being the first to show me new heights in melodic composition and bonus points for managing to do that while also being crushingly heavy.

Words:
The lyrics are as solid as they are in the rest of the Twelve Step Suite. That is to say: not flawless, not overwhelmingly beautiful in most places, but still very very strong. I have to say also that I just love the chorus of Reflections of Reality. This is the one part that is overwhelmingly beautiful. There's just something so gorgeous about "I wanna feel your body breaking, wanna feel your body breaking and shaking and left in the cold/I wanna heal your conscience making a change to fix this dying soul, this dying soul." I also have to say that the opening verse appeals to me aesthetically quite a bit, but in a very dark way.

47. Blind Faith

Isn't it time we care, and lose the hate
Understand our fears

Like all the songs on Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Blind Faith is something of an oddball compositionally. This is one of those where the instrumentalists don't start off by trying to impress the listener with their virtuosity, they just set the mood and take the song to where it needs to before handing it off to James. Myung and Rudess are noticeably good in the beginning, but both take a backseat to James's soulful delivery of his lyrics. As for the controversial chorus, I don't find myself getting too worked up about it either way. It serves its purpose, but isn't a highlight of or detraction from the song. I do like the backing vocals, and I actually feel like it could catch fire live, perhaps. I always think that James could add a "c'mon" right before the chorus starts.

It's in the instrumental section that Jordan and John truly shine, taking the spotlight they shunned earlier (though Jordan especially is actually excellent throughout the song). The piano break is the highlight of the song, and Jordan's two solos are excellent as is the famous unison. I think this instrumental section as a whole does a good job of keeping with the vibe of the song while still sounding distinctly like Dream Theater and showing off the virtuosity of the musicians.

Words:
Honestly, this is one of the few DT songs where I hardly notice the lyrics at all, probably because I'm too focused on the way the song is so intent on setting a mood above all else. I do think that James's lyrics are well-written and the subject matter fits in with the mood (have I mentioned the mood yet?). And it's important that he's able to inject so much passion into his singing of his words. Other than that, I have little else to say on this particular topic.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:20:03 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 03:48:28 PM »
 :omg: Both awesome songs, and both WAAAAAAAAY too low!!

Still, glad to see some appreciation for TDS. But I thought it was all JLB vocals during the "Blackened" section?

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 03:54:55 PM »
Great picks. :tup Good to see some love for TDS. It's actually the first of the 12 step suite I had listened to and the chorus always stuck with me. The music wonderfully reflects the tone in the lyrics.

The instrumental passage in Blind Faith is godly. Petrucci's solo is just face melting and then it segues into one of my favorite DT riffs ever. Once the piano comes in, forget about it. :hefdaddy

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 04:08:13 PM »
Blind Faith deserves to be way higher, and I'm not a big fan of This Dying Soul. Its reprises in TROA and TSF are better than the song itself.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 04:08:29 PM »
TDS is right where it should be. And yeah, the reprising is well done there UNLIKE A CERTAIN OTHER SONG :V

As for Blind Faith, I'm just going to keep this image around every time it pops up
'cause it's the perfect description of how I feel about the song

Offline 425

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 04:13:33 PM »
Still, glad to see some appreciation for TDS. But I thought it was all JLB vocals during the "Blackened" section?

It's hard to tell, but I think it is. However, the last verse in the Release section ("These tormented ghosts of yesterday... ...Be at one with
God and man") I'm almost positive has Mike's voice underneath James's.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 07:58:12 PM »
TDS is too high; BF is way too low. 

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 08:20:18 PM »
Voices, Blind Faith and This Dying Soul TOO low  :P
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 08:27:51 PM »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 10:34:31 AM »
Nice picks, I really like BF so I'd probably rank that one in the top 30 or 25, but TDS seems about right to me where you have it.

Offline 425

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 07:18:51 PM »
Blind Faith is obviously a song that I like a lot, but I just don't see in it what others do and therefore can't in good conscience place it significantly higher than this.

Here are a couple more fan favorites that I think more than a few of you will be disappointed to see so soon:

46. The Mirror

Reflections of reality
Are slowly coming into view

This is a very heavy and dark song, but also an atmospheric one, thanks in no small part to the keyboard playing of Kevin Moore which are present throughout the song, contributing to the feel. James gives one of his most aggressive performances ever, making this song even more special. “Trusting in yaaaaaaaaaoooooooooooouuuuuuuuuu” is particularly a highlight as a line that, in my opinion, showcases the potential beauty in an aggressive vocal delivery. He also manages to handle the quiet verse expertly in my opinion, switching effortlessly between clean and aggressive vocals. John's riffing, of course, is central to the song and I would be remiss not to mention it. Even though the song is rather simple, I think, there is still quite a progressive feel to it due to John’s ability to switch from one very memorable riff to another.

If there is one complaint I have, it is that the song does not have a proper outro and instead goes directly into Lie, which is not nearly as good in my opinion. I think they should have made some kind of edit where the song ends properly and released it as a b-side or on the Greatest Hit CD. However, this small flaw cannot prevent this from being a spectacular song.

Words:
The Mirror has some of Mike Portnoy’s finest lyrics of all time, and I think a lot of it is due to the fact that they seem to basically represent him poring his heart onto the page and having James sing the words he wrote. The lyrics may not be the most poetically phrased, but they are a compelling demand to “look in the mirror, my friend” and are especially relevant in light of the Twelve Step Suite a few years later—evidence that Mike’s problems were as bad as he said they were in this song.

45. Home

Victoria watches and thoughtfully smiles
She’s taking me to my home

The centerpiece of the Scenes From a Memory concept album opens with a mysterious sitar intro which is also the start of the massive buildup that makes this song so great. It takes over a minute and a half for the song to reach the massive, delicious, catchy “WOMP WOMP” riff. And John Myung takes it there so excellently with his bass playing, doesn’t he?

The first verse is simply brilliant from all perspectives, plain and simple. The guitar riff and Jordan’s playing over it are infectiously catchy, and then the multipart vocal melodies are just beautiful. The same can be said about the post-chorus section, and in fact to a certain extent about the entire song, in which James simply brings these fictional characters to life.

The best section, of the three main vocal sections (The Sleeper, The Miracle and Nicholas) is unquestionably the second, The Miracle’s part. This is another one of those great home buildups, rising from the low, quiet lines “I remember the first time she came to me…” and building to the climax of this section, the reprise of the “watches and thoughtfully smiles…” melody from Metropolis, Pt. 1.

Speaking of climaxes, there is one section of this song that is not so popular. Personally, I think the orgasm samples make sense in the context of the story and the context of that musical passage. The moans just work and that’s that. Plus, they serve as an excellent transition (and possible double entendre?) into Jordan’s brilliantly gorgeous keyboard solo. The bit just after the nine minute mark is chill-inducing. This, of course, goes into John’s excellent solo which builds until it is time for James to come soaring in with Nicholas’s part, which is excellently done both by him and by John and Mike as the backing voices.

After the vocals are through, the song goes downhill, but only a tiny bit. The outro is a little too much of a change from the mood of the rest of the song for my taste and doesn’t seem fitting, though it is far from bad. Still, on the whole, this is an excellent Dream Theater song.

Words:
These may just seem like lyrics written by Mike Portnoy to tell three different stories on the concept album, but there’s an underlying theme that transcends the concept. The song is about three men who are all dealing in different ways with their fixation with one woman. The Miracle and The Sleeper are both in love with Victoria, but while Julian uses his love for her as a possible means by which to escape from his addiction, Edward grapples with the thought of betraying his brother by giving into his love for Victoria. After the band sets the context for the struggle for Victoria, emphasized as a temporary victory for Edward by the orgasm/slot-machine section, they bring in the third man who is obsessed with Victoria: Her reincarnation, Nicholas. Nicholas here serves to remind us not only that he, too, is obsessed with Victoria, but to tie the significance of The Miracle and The Sleeper’s feelings to the original story about Nicholas. On the whole, the lyrics to this song are more convoluted than usual since it is just one part of a concept album, but Mike rewards us here with complexity and intrigue.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 10:00:31 PM »
This applies once again :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2014, 10:04:25 PM »
I don't like The Mirror as much as some, but it is still a very good song. Home is great, and while I would place it higher, I don't have any real issue with your placement of it.

Good choices.

inb4 BAI is number 1.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 08:01:27 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2014, 11:31:26 PM »
Yeah both of these this low is very saddening  :'(
Agree on both counts of the outros at least but The Mirror's outro is still awesome if a bit abrupt. Home's though, yeah, least favorite part of the song for me.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2014, 12:17:58 AM »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.