Author Topic: General questions about DT shows  (Read 1910 times)

Offline nicbor87

General questions about DT shows
« on: January 04, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »
Got a couple of general questions and figured this would be the right category to ask them.
First off: I've never been to a DT show (or any rock show) before. So if some of these questions are stupid, please bear with me  :D

1. What's a good time to be on the venue to get a decent spot? It says 6 PM on the ticket which seems quite early. The tickets are all General Admission/Standing (I'm attending the Munich show). I assume it's first come first serve as to where you end up standing, should I expect a lot of line-ups?

2. How to i prevent my feet from falling off?  :lol This is actually concerning me. I guess time will pass quickly, but my feet tend to hurt rather quickly from standing too long.. anyone got ideas on that?

Also if you got any general tips/advice on DT shows for a complete newbie, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: General questions about DT shows
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 04:22:19 PM »
1. Either get there reallllly early or just come in time for the show.  Being stuck in the middle is the worst.

2. Vicodin

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 06:56:30 PM »
Show up whenever and then just walk up to the front in a determined manner like you belong there.

You'll be moving about just enough to keep your feet from wearing out. Shift your weight a lot. Also, if you're prone to muscle cramps (which I am) I always drink a gin and tonic (or 6) before the show. The quinine in tonic water is good at preventing cramping.

Bonus pro-tip: dress like it's Summer.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 07:26:22 PM »
If you are worried about the standing then you probably don't want to get there early (more standing) and being in front (more standing because you won't want to go find somewhere to sit during the break because you'll lose your spot)

Offline philmcson

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 08:06:36 AM »
My questions:

Does anyone know the origin of the ambiental music which is played during intermission before the _____________[censored spoiler] starts (in the first 5-6 minutes)?

Does MM have some general principle not to give away any drumsticks? On three shows I haven't seen him doing so, even though I was begging for one yesterday.

To be fair, he at least posed for me  :hat

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 08:13:45 AM »
Nice picture!!!! :tup

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 09:10:04 AM »

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 11:02:02 AM »
If you've never been to a rock concert, then you've probably never been exposed to the loud volumes at the concerts. That was a wakeup call for me when I attended my first show (Rush in 1988) and was the one thing that kept that night from being perfect. When it's so loud that it's hard to figure out what song they're playing for the first minute or so, and you know every song by heart (as was the case with me), I think its safe to say it was a problem.

So bring ear plugs. Don't worry if you think that you'll look like a wimp or a wuss. Better to protect your hearing than try to look like a tough guy. And really, ear plugs will allow you to enjoy the music more since you'll be able to hear everything better. You may not be able to distinguish all the crisp detail of the cymbals, but it's a good trade-off, IMO. And if nothing else, you can always take them out if you think you can handle the volume.

Also, if you're prone to muscle cramps (which I am) I always drink a gin and tonic (or 6) before the show. The quinine in tonic water is good at preventing cramping.
Maybe 1 gin and tonic would be good, but don't drink too much of anything, or else you'll be losing your spot when you have to make a run to the bathroom! 
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline krands85

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 11:17:10 AM »
So bring ear plugs. Don't worry if you think that you'll look like a wimp or a wuss. Better to protect your hearing than try to look like a tough guy. And really, ear plugs will allow you to enjoy the music more since you'll be able to hear everything better. You may not be able to distinguish all the crisp detail of the cymbals, but it's a good trade-off, IMO. And if nothing else, you can always take them out if you think you can handle the volume.

Definitely this. Always makes me  :facepalm: when I hear people saying it's a sad/wimpy thing to do. Like you say, your hearing gets protected - no ringing in your ears for ages after the gig and a much reduced risk of long-term damage. Plus, the difference in clarity of sound is night and day. Since I started using them, I've enjoyed live music so much more, since I can actually hear the individual instruments much better and it's not just a wall of sound like it sometimes is without them.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww