Author Topic: 2014-04-09 - Uptown Theatre - Kansas City, MO  (Read 6005 times)

Offline badger

2014-04-09 - Uptown Theatre - Kansas City, MO
« on: December 31, 2013, 09:49:12 AM »
Traveling from Iowa again to see them.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:34:03 AM by cyberdrummer »
When did we all let you down?

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
Re: 2014-04-09 - Uptown theatre - Kansas City, MO
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 07:46:13 AM »
Just snagged my tickets this week -- fourth row on MP's side.  Very excited!!! :metal

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
Re: 2014-04-09 - Uptown Theatre - Kansas City, MO
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 08:15:20 PM »
Just snagged my tickets this week -- fourth row on MP's side.  Very excited!!! :metal

I'm assuming you mean JP? :rollin

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 08:18:20 PM »
 :omg: Wow, yeah, that was a bad typo!!  Yes, Petrucci, to be clear.   :biggrin:

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 03:33:27 PM »
3rd row - Center.  This should be a blast.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 12:17:36 PM »
Three friends and I will be making the drive on Wednesday to see this show.  It will be my 2nd DT concert in five days. :metal :coolio :hat

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 12:53:14 PM »
Closest concert to me this tour, but I'm not going to be able to make it.  You guys rock it extra hard for me.    :metal

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 05:23:18 PM »
Three friends and I will be making the drive on Wednesday to see this show.  It will be my 2nd DT concert in five days. :metal :coolio :hat

Very cool, Kev.  Where are you guys sitting?  I'll be on the end of the 4th row towards the center section on Petrucci's side. :2metal:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 10:43:34 PM »
I think we'll be only a few rows back, but on Myung's side.  If you know what you are gonna be wearing or whatever, let me know and I'll look for ya to say hey! That goes for anybody else going as well. :hat

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 05:53:07 AM »
I'll be in a gray Rush tour shirt.   :metal

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 08:28:22 PM »
I looked this evening at the ticket website and was a bit shocked to see that only about half the venue is sold.  :omg:  Hopefully there are lots of last-minute concertgoers waiting to get their tickets tomorrow .... I'd hate for DT to come out to a half-empty theater.   :|

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 09:34:07 PM »
I'll look for ya.

As for the turnout, nothing against KC, but maybe a bad turnout there will convince them to freaking come to St. Louis for a change.  It is packed every time they come here.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 11:29:48 PM »
I looked this evening at the ticket website and was a bit shocked to see that only about half the venue is sold.  :omg:  Hopefully there are lots of last-minute concertgoers waiting to get their tickets tomorrow .... I'd hate for DT to come out to a half-empty theater.   :|

I did some snooping around to see how other venues were selling and I saw that too.  The KC theatre also looked quite a bit smaller than the Chicago theater which was pretty much sold out except for some stray seats in the very back. 

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 05:31:17 AM »
The Uptown Theater is rather small, Kev; I saw Kyng and Danzig there a couple years ago.  As you'll see tonight, it's a beautiful old venue on the inside, but a pretty interior ain't what we're after, tonight!!   :lol

As for KC versus St. Louis, I'm driving either way, although KC is a 3.5-hour drive for me whereas St. Louis would've been a bit over 5 hours.   :biggrin:

Offline badger

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 06:20:20 AM »
Been following the amount of tix left also :facepalm:  Not sure why it doesn't sell more.  Although DT makes up for it in price.  Seems about 10% more than other locations.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 06:30:14 AM »
Where are you sitting tonight, badger?

Offline ronrule

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 01:32:52 PM »
Just snagged two tickets on StubHub. Front row, left side for $40 each!

Offline ronrule

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 01:40:08 PM »
I'm going to be cutting it close getting there on time. Website says show at 8pm. Anybody know how closing they've been starting on showtimes this tour?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 03:29:13 PM »
I'm going to be cutting it close getting there on time. Website says show at 8pm. Anybody know how closing they've been starting on showtimes this tour?

Started at 8 o clock on the dot in Chicago. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 04:13:34 PM »
I'll look for ya.

As for the turnout, nothing against KC, but maybe a bad turnout there will convince them to freaking come to St. Louis for a change.  It is packed every time they come here.

A to the friggin' MEN.......wish I could have went Kev but I am typing this from my office desk at a quarter past 5..... :'(
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 06:09:30 PM »
Hope it's a good show.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 09:41:46 PM »
I'll look for ya.

A to the friggin' MEN.......wish I could have went Kev but I am typing this from my office desk at a quarter past 5..... :'(

Keep in mind, its not like Dream Theater is given a list of tour dates and they say, "Aww man, St. Louis again?  Why can't we play in Kansas City?  They have better BBQ." 

They put out a tour itinerary and promoters contact THEM to make offers.  There may have been no theaters available or willing in the St. Louis area so they went to Kansas City instead. 

Every tour leg, they pretty much hit Chicago since it is a big market.  for the first leg of the ADTOE tour they didn't actually play IN Chicago.  They played in a suburb called Rosemont.  There probably wasn't a venue available IN Chicago on the night they specified or there was, but there wasn't one availabile in Milwaukee for the day before or after so they decided rather than skip a city like Milwaukee that has a good turnout and is a short drive that creates less stress on the band and crew, they opted to play Rosemont instead.

So it is all logistics, nothing against St. Louis I'm sure.  But hey, if you guys can up your BBQ game then maybe you'll get your wish.   

Offline ronrule

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 07:53:42 AM »
Here's a few videos I took of the band, and me and the nerdling enjoying it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC_7sd0dV58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFHQatGDHfE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjweUuRK-44

He'll be 9 in two weeks. Dream Theater is pretty much the only band he takes much interest in. He was kind of embarrassed to be there, because he felt like the only kid and he didn't want to stand up, though pretty much everyone else was! But I told him how cool he is to be a fan of such a mature band, when most kids are listening to Justin Bieber, etc. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 09:30:52 AM »
Actually, Madman, our BBQ here now is really good, even though we don't have the rep KC has for it.  Hehe.  But I know what you are saying.  It just sucks that they never come here anymore.

Anyway, good show last night, but, holy shit on a stick, it was loud. I am talking ear-splitting loud.  After the perfect volume of Saturday's show in Chicago, it was a shock to the system for last night's to be so crushingly loud.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 11:10:21 AM »

He'll be 9 in two weeks. Dream Theater is pretty much the only band he takes much interest in. He was kind of embarrassed to be there, because he felt like the only kid and he didn't want to stand up, though pretty much everyone else was! But I told him how cool he is to be a fan of such a mature band, when most kids are listening to Justin Bieber, etc. :)

Hope your son enjoyed the show.  He did seem a bit embarrassed.  Something he can tell his friends about.  I remember in the late 90's, my daughter and son were into Aerosmith.  I took them both, but 2 years apart. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 11:25:35 AM »

Were you in the first row on the far left, right in front of the speakers?

Offline ronrule

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 01:15:29 PM »

Yep!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 02:37:12 PM »
I'll be in a gray Rush tour shirt.   :metal

We got there literally two minutes before the show began (not my fault, as I am one of those people who'd rather be super early), so I had no time to look for ya.  Darn it. :facepalm:

Yep!

Wow, you guys were directly in front of us.  We were the four guys next to the couple on the aisle in the row behind you, although one of my friends and I bolted for the balcony after The Shattered Fortress - the other two stayed down there - because being right in front of those speakers made it sound like a huge blur of noise. There were a lot of spots open up top, so we found a great spot right in the middle about four rows up. :tup :tup  I did come down with them for Space Dye Vest, but bolted back upstairs for the rest.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 04:46:32 PM »
Actually, Madman, our BBQ here now is really good, even though we don't have the rep KC has for it. 

I need names.  I have been known to drive for almost 3 hours for good BBQ.  I wouldn't be opposed to another hour and a half if it as good as you say. 

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 05:48:07 PM »

Badass! I think I saw you all there.  It looked like JP was trying to give him a pick at the end of the show, but everyone kind of swarmed him.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2014, 08:11:45 PM »
Last night's show was a great experience!!  Loved every minute of it.

Regarding the volume, someone on here had mentioned that they play loud.  I hit many concerts every year and typically don't do ear plugs, but seeing a post about the volume made me toss a pair of ear plugs in my pocket just in case.  I didn't wear them during the first set and thought, "This doesn't seem that loud."  At the first break I went out to grab a drink and was shocked at the loud buzz in my ears after only the first set so I put those ear plugs in for the remainder of the night and woke up this morning with no ear ringing whatsoever.

This was my vantage point last night:

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2014, 09:24:04 PM »
I really enjoyed last night's show.  I was about 4 rows from the speakers on JP's side, didn't wear earplugs, and was surprised at how quickly the ringing subsided.  I told some friends it was "tastefully loud".  I did noticed it was rather difficult to make out what JLB was singing, and had I not known the sings already, I wouldn't have been able to follow along.  I'm assuming this was because of how close I was to the speakers.

I especially enjoyed MM's little goof during The Enigma Machine including his "crap!" exclamation - haha.  I loved the show, one of my favorite ones so far, I think.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline badger

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2014, 05:38:19 AM »
My ears are still ringing.  We where row D on left side and it hurt.  Excellent show except for that.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 05:52:18 AM by badger »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2014, 10:40:31 PM »
Actually, Madman, our BBQ here now is really good, even though we don't have the rep KC has for it. 

I need names.  I have been known to drive for almost 3 hours for good BBQ.  I wouldn't be opposed to another hour and a half if it as good as you say.

Pappy's is pretty highly-regarded by everyone who goes there.  Even my younger brother, who is a bit of a food snob (which he would admit to), absolutely loves it.  Rib City is another really good one.  Bogart's is supposed to be awesome, as well, although I've yet to eat there. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 03:24:32 PM »

Pappy's is pretty highly-regarded by everyone who goes there.  Even my younger brother, who is a bit of a food snob (which he would admit to), absolutely loves it.  Rib City is another really good one.  Bogart's is supposed to be awesome, as well, although I've yet to eat there.

Thanks man.  I think talking about ribs made me crave them so when I went to Iowa City I tried a place called The Pit.   I've known that place existed for 10 years but never tried it.  Big mistake.  The meat itself wasn't anything too special.  I did like it.  But their BBQ sauces were straight up amazing.  Now I feel like I may need to head down to St. Louis to see if its all its cracked up to be.