Author Topic: Systematic Chaos - Dream Theater Tribute Band  (Read 14423 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Systematic Chaos - Dream Theater Tribute Band
« on: December 31, 2013, 07:16:36 AM »
A friend of a friend (seriously) is in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC9ww4Z-Qa8&feature=youtu.be

They are based in San Diego I think... so all ya'll Southern Californians... keep your eyes open!

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Systematic Chaos - Dream Theater Tribute Band
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 08:30:11 AM »
As many of you know, I played for several years in a DT tribute band. We had one golden rule that was not to be violated: Do NOT try to look like the band members.

Seeing that video just now, the rule was there for a reason.

Regarding their skill, I would have to hear live audio to judge. This was all overdubbed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 08:41:34 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 08:34:22 AM »
DT is not a band with a strong image that should really be emulated by a cover/tribute band.
If you're forming a tribute band of some 70's or 80's bands, wigs are fine, but it looks really silly when you're trying to copy something like a modern prog band.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 08:38:11 AM »
The bass player is not doing a good job looking Asian.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 10:31:06 AM »
The bass player is not doing a good job looking Asian.

:rollin
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 10:50:10 AM »
Yeah, going for "the look" just seems....cheesy or something.  No one's going to see Dream Theater these days because of how hunky everyone in the band is  :lol

No offence to the guys themselves, of course.  ;)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 11:04:47 AM »
It's not just the look actually. If you look at the keyboard player, he has the swivel keyboard, the notation stand, and he does the Jordanesque "fist into the audience" at 2:20.

In my opinion, what they need is Nicky. He got James down to a T.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 11:19:04 AM »
Really? When I saw this I thought the look was REALLY cool. They really nail it because it's a lot more than just wigs. They really get the details. Even the overdub guy.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 12:31:24 PM »
This is hilarious. Although I gotta say the guy playing Jordan definitely has the mannerisms down pat :lol

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 01:02:41 PM »
The JP clone looks ridiculous

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 01:30:23 PM »
No DT with Portnoy clone band will ever be complete without a drum tech Jose imitator to swing the mic around.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 02:15:22 PM »

I was actually wondering whether they made him bulk up.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 02:19:48 PM »
I really would like to hear a live recording though. If they put as much effort into their playing as they put into their looks, they could be really good.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 02:58:50 PM »
Yeah and MP didn't spit all over the place.  Very inaccurate portrayal. 

Seriously though, like others have said, the image is ridiculous.  If it were an Ozzy tribute then sure, the vocalist could wear those blue circular glasses and waddle around like he shit himself, and that would be fine...but this was just odd. 

The music seemed pretty good.  The vocalist wasn't bad, but was very bad for a Dream Theater tribute band. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 03:04:12 PM »
If it were an Ozzy tribute then sure, the vocalist could wear those blue circular glasses and waddle around like he shit himself

lol so true

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 07:32:52 PM »

I would pay to see that band.

And promptly leave. But they'd still get my money for having the balls to go out there.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 08:23:56 PM »
Bassist looks like Mike Dirnt in a Myung wig

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hipodilski

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 07:44:22 AM »
Corny image or not, a band is as good as its drummer. And sorry, but this fellow is awfully bad. I mean, how bad can you be if you can't even play Honor Thy Father's intro properly?! It's one of the easiest MPisms ever.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 07:59:54 AM »
Yeah the drummer is pretty bad they should probably hold auditions soon to replace him.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 08:03:39 AM »
Yeah the drummer is pretty bad they should probably hold auditions soon to replace him.
Needless to say, they need to find 7 drummers who look like the ones who auditioned for DT :P

Offline ugly_guitar_guy

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 04:25:21 PM »

I was actually wondering whether they made him bulk up.

:rollin

Lol, this is my favorite thread about us yet guys! And no, I was not "asked" to "bulk up." I'm a pretty swol guy and a couple pushups before a performance to really enhance the guns is all it takes to really put it all together!  :tup

Most people don't separate "tribute" band from "cover" band. We're a tribute to dream theater, which is to give the audience the closest experience to a DT performance as possible (visual as well as audio). If you think that takes away from the music, then I'm sorry to hear that. We're gonna be out playing a lot this year, and we're looking forward to the fun times ahead playing DT music for their fans. We hope you can all make it to a show and if you still don't like it come up and talk to us. We're all nice guys and fellow DT fans, not ego-driven maniacs. Hell, I might even buy ya a beer.

Catch ya guys on the road!

C Bro  :metal

Offline MinistryOfLostSouls

• I'm a vewy vewy nithe guy
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 05:04:59 PM »
This is hilarious. Although I gotta say the guy playing Jordan definitely has the mannerisms down pat :lol

Jordan smiles when he is playing. 

Considering that they are "available for booking worldwide" and have a manager I'm hoping that they will be paying Dream Theater their performance royalties through The Harry Fox Agency and have appropriately applied for permission to Dream Theater and Road Runner, for the use of the bands likenesses and marks for the purposes of generating a profit. Wouldn't want to be accused of bootlegging a whole band. 

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 05:35:31 PM »
Wow, got to get rid of the wigs :loser: Other than that, not bad and I'd be interested in seeing you guys. :metal

Offline ugly_guitar_guy

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 05:38:09 PM »

Jordan smiles when he is playing. 

Considering that they are "available for booking worldwide" and have a manager I'm hoping that they will be paying Dream Theater their performance royalties through The Harry Fox Agency and have appropriately applied for permission to Dream Theater and Road Runner, for the use of the bands likenesses and marks for the purposes of generating a profit. Wouldn't want to be accused of bootlegging a whole band.

I wouldn't lose sleep worrying yourself about that, but thanks for your concern. ;)

Wow, got to get rid of the wigs :loser: Other than that, not bad and I'd be interested in seeing you guys. :metal

Who said we're wearing wigs?? :angel: Glad we've peaked your interest. See you at a show!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
No, you want to pique their interest. If you peak it, then they'll never be more interested in you. :P

Offline ugly_guitar_guy

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 05:45:19 PM »
No, you want to pique their interest. If you peak it, then they'll never be more interested in you. :P

I also can't spell annemone... wait... anemonknee.... dammit.....

You know what, I'm gonna stick with guitar. I've got songs to learn. Oh, and lifting.  :metal

Offline ImNewDontKillMe

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 06:09:07 PM »
Oh my god why

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 06:09:53 PM »

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 07:32:02 PM »
I think the 'tribute' side to it is less important than the sound, but it's cool to see you guys have gone all in and out. In any case, the music sounds great, so if that's what your DT covers sound like then rock on and keep it up is all I have to say.  ;)  :metal

Offline PetFish

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 09:15:41 PM »
This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen, great work.

How many people on Youtube have JP guitars and sound pretty much exactly like JP?  These guys not only have the sound but they're going the extra mile and I think that's admirable.  Every other 'tribute' band (KISS, Bon Jovi, etc) all look and act just like the real band so I dunno what the problem is with these guys doing the same.

Also, Fake James LaBrie was moving around way too much, he needs to stand perfectly still to *really* nail it.

Offline Dirty30

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 01:51:38 AM »

I agree, though it was a huge letdown not to see 'James' wail on the tambourine and swig from the water bottle.

All in all, great job. If you ever came to Missoula, MT.  I wouldn't miss the show.  :metal

Offline MinistryOfLostSouls

• I'm a vewy vewy nithe guy
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2014, 02:28:46 AM »

I wouldn't lose sleep worrying yourself about that, but thanks for your concern. ;)

I won't.  You would actually have to make money for Dream Theater to give a shit.  That will never happen.  :lol

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:12:40 AM by MinistryOfLostSouls »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2014, 02:38:08 AM »
That was cool and disturbing at the same time. Also, this is the closest we'll ever get to seeing Portnoy playing On the backs of angels and Bridges in the sky.  :lol

Offline mirko_metal_88

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2014, 02:43:25 AM »
This is ridiculous....

Offline ugly_guitar_guy

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 10:34:18 AM »

I won't.  You would actually have to make money for Dream Theater to give a shit.  That will never happen.  :lol

This is ridiculous....

If we were in this for the money I'm sure we could find more popular groups to tribute and get paid from. This is completely about the fun of it and being fans of DT ourselves. Just so happens we're all musicians that look "close enough" that we can take it to the next level of performance. I get that it's not for everybody, but how about a show of support for 5 guys getting together and having FUN playing DT music for DT fans?!

And for the record, we're already "unofficially" DT approved because they're using part of our EPK video in their touring intermission video. If it's good enough for them then hopefully it'll be good enough for all you guys!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hTzzusmZ4

For all the others who dig what we're doing, thanks a bunch! Now I gotta get back to practicing. Still got a lot of songs to learn...  ;D