Author Topic: 2014-04-06 - Riverside Theater - Milwaukee, WI  (Read 3494 times)

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
2014-04-06 - Riverside Theater - Milwaukee, WI
« on: December 28, 2013, 11:31:53 AM »
Hey! After ten+ years of listening to them, this is gonna be my first DT show! Super excited!

Who else is gonna be there and grab a beer with me?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:35:30 AM by cyberdrummer »
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline teclas

Re: 2014-04-06 - The Riverside Theater - Milwaukee, WI
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 06:49:29 PM »
I'll be there. Third time seeing them but first time in Milwaukee  :xbones.
A journey to find
The answers inside
Our illusive mind

Online T-ski

Re: 2014-04-06 - Riverside Theater - Milwaukee, WI
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 10:00:53 AM »
first show for me as well.  I'll be the guy with his eyes wide open and his jaw on the floor.  :biggrin:
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline drb007

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 08:38:24 PM »
Count me in!  I'm going with my best friend and my 14 yo daughter who is a big DT fan. Third time seeing them. First Meet and Greet! Second row!

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
This is what happens when your grandmother breaks out of rehab
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 04:11:42 PM »
So, the person I was going to this show with had to drop out. I now have an extra ticket. Anyone in the area feel like seeing a DT show on me? Send me a PM.

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Beer, or, what made Milwaukee famous (Is going in my tummy)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 05:12:27 PM »
T-minus 1 hour and 49 minutes. I'm over at Mo's Irish pub across the street. Stop on by! I'll be the guy at the bar jamming out to Hell's Kitchen (Seriously, they're playing it right now. I think I love this place!)

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Online T-ski

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 05:47:40 PM »
Was at Mo's for dinner with my wife @ 5:30.  Gettin' excited for the show (not sure the wife is).  :D

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 12:24:09 AM »
Just got home from the show, and I gotta say that I was very impressed! Definitely one of the better shows I've seen from them (and I've now seen 53, including this one). The band really was on fire - James especially. His in-between song banter was great - even calling JP over (who was off to the side of the stage) in the middle of the show to see a pair of guys who apparently had very impressive facial hair. And he hit all the notes in Illumination Theory, which I honestly didn't expect.

Towards the end of TSF, you could tell that MM was not happy - something bad happened. Not sure if it was that his in-ear monitors failed completely or if he couldn't hear the click track. Either way, from what I could tell, it didn't affect his performance of the song and it appears that the problem was fixed by the end of OtBoA as he was his usual smiling self for the rest of the show.

Hope someone managed to tape the show as I'd love to get a copy of it (I've stopped taping).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Tim van Duijn

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 09:27:48 AM »
Just got home from the show, and I gotta say that I was very impressed! Definitely one of the better shows I've seen from them (and I've now seen 53, including this one). The band really was on fire - James especially. His in-between song banter was great - even calling JP over (who was off to the side of the stage) in the middle of the show to see a pair of guys who apparently had very impressive facial hair. And he hit all the notes in Illumination Theory, which I honestly didn't expect.

Towards the end of TSF, you could tell that MM was not happy - something bad happened. Not sure if it was that his in-ear monitors failed completely or if he couldn't hear the click track. Either way, from what I could tell, it didn't affect his performance of the song and it appears that the problem was fixed by the end of OtBoA as he was his usual smiling self for the rest of the show.

Hope someone managed to tape the show as I'd love to get a copy of it (I've stopped taping).

53 shows?? you get tickets for free or something?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
They don't call him Setlist Scotty for nothing. :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 12:15:44 PM »
Awesome Scott. I was hoping to hear your thoughts.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online T-ski

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 08:24:33 PM »
Well, my first DT concert was quite the experience to say the least.

As I've mentioned before my lovely wife showed her true love for me and accompanied me to the show.  We got dinner at Mo's Irish pub across the street from the theater and heard quite a bit of DT conversation.  Two tables down from us was a very "vocal" fan filling in his friends on everything they needed and didn't need to know about the band.  He was not shy about spouting his knowledge and he wasn't shy about drinking.  More on him later.

We got done with dinner around 6:30 and realized we forgot the tickets at the hotel, which thankfully was just across the street as well, so we walked back to pick them up.  While waiting for the elevator we just happened to run into one of my wife's friends husband who was there with his brother to see the show as well.  We talked a bit and said we'd meet up afterwards for a drink.

After getting to the theater I decided I was going to get some merch and put down for the hooded sweatshirt.  A little pricey, but hell, first show memories right?

We got to our seats about 15 minutes to showtime.  We were in the balcony on Petrucci's side about 5 seats in from the wall.  Good view.  Then we heard Mr. Loud Know-it-All from the bar from earlier.  I was very happy to see him not sitting anywhere near us but felt bad for the people who did.

The lights finally dimmed and BAM! My ears were not ready.  Holy shit was it loud.  I got used to it, but what a jolt.

Knowing the setlist going in I was ready for what I was to hear.  I'm not a fan of "The Enemy Inside" or "The Shattered Fortress" so I just soaked in the ambiance until the third song.  Like Scotty said earlier something happened during TSF and James took the time after the song to talk to the crowd to stall.  I personally didn't notice anything wrong, but in less than 2 minutes the show was back on.

"On the Backs of Angels" was next and after it was done my wife actually said to me, "I liked that one".  There is hope for her yet.  About this time I was starting to absorb the sound of the show.  From where I was, Petrucci's guitar seemed to dominate the sound and it was hard to pick up the rest of the band, especially James' singing.  I don't know if it was our seats being closer to the wall or the volume, but on some of the mellower songs the sound was great.

Loved "Through the Looking Glass" and "Trial of Tears".  Again, my wife approved of TofT.  "Enigma Machine" was fun as well with the animation.  "Along for the Ride" was ho-hum.  And it was at this point the show really took off for me.  "Breaking All Illusions" was beyond phenomenal.  It was too bad intermission happened right after this song because I was really into the show big time at this point.

During intermission, my wife's friends husband came over to talk to us.  Unfortunately for him, he was very near Mr.  Loud Know-it-All who was completely wasted at this point.  Thankfully this guy wasn't ruining the show for him.

The "Awake" set sent me back 20 years.  It's been a while since I've spun that album and these songs reminded me just how much I love "Awake".  "The Mirror" and "Lie" just slayed.  "Lifting Shadows" was gorgeous.  And then "Scarred".  "Scarred" is one of my all time favorite DT tracks and I was well beyond satisfied by the performance.  I was curious to see the crowd reaction to SDV.  Some definitely took the moment to go get a drink or use the facilities.  Petrucci added a bit of flair to the end of it but I was okay with it.  Glad I had the opportunity to see it performed live.

"Illumination Theory" was outstanding.  I had told my wife before the show that if nothing else, she would enjoy the orchestration portion of this one song, which she did.

The crowd was really into the encore, and I mean really into it.  Excellent stuff all the way around.

When the show ended I just took in as much as I could.  The 3 hours went by pretty quick.  It's truly amazing how gifted these guys are as musicians.  You could see the genuine joy on their faces all night as well, which was nice to see.  I couldn't really hear anything and I didn't really care.  Even my wife said she enjoyed the show.

We eventually met up with my wife's friends husband and his brother afterwards and again went to Mo's pub for a couple of drinks.  They told us how Mr. Loud Know-it-All had spilled one their drinks during the second half of the show and that he was nearly passed out by the time it ended.  While discussing the evenings events we noticed the bands buses were parked outside the bar and down the street.  We joked that maybe we'd run into them when we left.  About 12:15 my wife says, "hey there's the guy with the white beard."  Sure enough Jordan was outside getting on the bus and some fans had stopped for an autograph/picture opportunity.  She prodded me to go out and meet him and after finally agreeing, we went outside.  Just as we walked out the door Jordan got on the bus.  I didn't think anything of it.  I didn't want to be "that guy" and bother him.  So we turned around to go back inside.

At this point a few people across the street started making some noise.  We turned around and LaBrie had walked out to the bus.  My wife looked at me and said, "we are going over there."  Like I said, I didn't want to be that guy, but my wife is a spirited lady and she wouldn't take no for any answer.  We politely asked James for a picture and he graciously accepted, to which I now have this great memory....

The band was on all night.  James sounded flawless.  I got to hear some of my favorite DT songs of all time.  For a first time Dream Theater concert, I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

Offline Skee777

Re: This is what happens when your grandmother breaks out of rehab
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
So, the person I was going to this show with had to drop out. I now have an extra ticket. Anyone in the area feel like seeing a DT show on me? Send me a PM.

:-[

I was hoping to go, but didn't have money... and my account took one week to be aproved, so couldn't reply on time  :censored

Oh, well.