Author Topic: Mladen's Top 50 albums v. #1 "Sorry, but it's time to go."  (Read 17334 times)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: Mladen's Top 50 albums v. 41 - 39
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 11:44:04 AM »
Trout Mask Replica freaked the hell out of me at first. Thought it was too weird, but it's a definite grower. I can't explain what it is that attracted me to it either :lol

Considering how big a fan of Maiden I am, I've been meaning to check out some of Bruce's solo stuff. I guess this would be the place to start.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2014, 12:13:05 PM »
Trout Mask Replica has been under my radar for a few years now, as I really like the stuff Captain Beefheart did with Zappa, but I never got around to listening to it. Playing it now, and it's as weird and awesome as I was expecting it to be!

Revolver is a fantastic album, one of my favorites from The Beatles. I love the direction they took with this album.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2014, 12:28:49 PM »
I know Captain Beefheart was a big influence on Tom Waits, who I love, so I should probably check them out.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2014, 08:07:41 AM »
38. Kiss - Rock and roll over (1976)

I don’t consider myself to be a Kiss fan, knowing that I haven’t listened to more than two thirds of their discography. However, I enjoy their early records, and this is the one to put on when I’m in the mood for a short album that simply entertains me. Here is an album that is all about catchy choruses and rockin’ riffs, containing ten songs with your usual song structure. The drums give it a great driving vibe, the guitar sound is dirty, the solos are in your face but sometimes surprise you with a meticulous guitar harmony. It’s good old back-to-the-roots rock record, that makes you headbang and sing along.

Favorite songs: Calling Dr. Love, Love ‘em and leave ‘em, Take me

37. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime (1988)

Queensryche is another band that I’m not really a huge fan of, but man, they totally bought me with this record. It is heavy metal at its best, but what makes it special is the conceptual feel provided by the story and a bunch of intros and moodsetters. In my opinion, it is not really a progressive metal album, despite its operatic and epic nature. The biggest highlight of the album is the vocal performance by Geoff Tate. His delivery on the ballads is tremendous, and he perfectly utilizes his higher register, making the album even more beautiful and emotional. A great fun listen but also an album with depth.

Favorite songs: Eyes of the stranger, The Mission, Speak

36. King Crimson – Lizard (1970)

Less successful and more jazzy than its predecessors, Lizard often gets neglected by the fans. It’s also the only album featuring Gordon Haskel on vocals, and the fact that there was no promotional tour for the album makes it even more unique. Everything about it makes it so obscure and weird, that it influences the feeling I get when I listen to it. The only problem I have with Lizard is the fact that it’s too short. I wish there was more material from this period, but unfortunately, I’m pretty sure there isn’t. I learned to see this record as something one of a kind, which also gives it a special charm.

Favorite songs: Lizard, Lady of the dancing water, Circus

Offline Lowdz

Re: Mladen's Top 50 albums v. 38 - 36
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2014, 08:14:53 AM »
2/3 there for me. Whilst not my favourite early KISS album (that would be Love Gun) I love R&RO.
Mindcrime was joint top of my top 50. A classic.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2014, 08:32:19 AM »
I hope I'm not late to the party: following :D
Great picks so far. O:M is among my favorites, too ;)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2014, 10:13:48 AM »
2/3 for me too. That's my favorite 70s Kiss and O:M is my all time favorite album. Cool update!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2014, 11:36:59 AM »
O:M isn't Prog Metal!?!?!?  Strangest thing I've heard in a while.  And I'm married.

With teenagers.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2014, 11:44:19 AM »
Lizard is an incredible album and one of their best.

Operation: Mindcrime was one of my favorites for a while, but Queensryche doesn't really do much for me anymore. Still a great album though and its influence can't be denied.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2014, 11:46:50 AM »
I was never too big with Kiss, but Mindcrime is absolute masterpiece.

Of all King Crimson albums, I usually wouldn't expect Lizard to make the top 50 over a lot of their other classics, but a great choice nonetheless.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2014, 12:56:59 PM »
1st ever mention of RARO in a top 50 list

15th mention of O:MC

2nd mention of Lizard (Sketchy had it at #3)
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2014, 02:43:18 PM »
1st ever mention of RARO in a top 50 list
Wow, that's pretty cool.  :smiley:

Thanks for everybody that came along for the ride (no pun intended), it's never too late.  :tup

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2014, 05:03:50 PM »
yeah, it's only the 3rd mention of Kiss at all.  The other two were Hotter Than Hell and Alive II.
Winger would be better!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2014, 05:22:17 PM »
CHEMICAL WEDDING SHOULD BE MUCH HIGHER.  It was lightyears ahead of anything Maiden was doing at the time.  I'd go so far to say it is one of the greatest metal albums of all time.  When it's light, it's heavenly, when it's dark, it's evil as fuck. 

Anyhoos, great list thus far. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2014, 05:24:56 PM »
Rock And Roll Over?!?! :metal :metal :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2014, 05:45:30 PM »
Rock and Roll Over is just pure guitar rock.  Love it!! :metal

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2014, 06:10:14 PM »
Rock And Roll Over, Destroyer, and Love Gun were the three Kiss albums I remember my brother had on 8-track when I was just Little Hath.  I remember staring at those album cover stickers on the cassettes for what seemed like hours.
Winger would be better!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2014, 07:02:55 PM »
And I wore out two cassettes of Mindcrime before getting it on CD. :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2014, 07:06:25 PM »
Rock And Roll Over, Destroyer, and Love Gun were the three Kiss albums I remember my brother had on 8-track when I was just Little Hath.  I remember staring at those album cover stickers on the cassettes for what seemed like hours.
My parents got me Alive! for Christmas in '75 when I was 7 years old.  It was all over after that.  I was KISS obsessed through the remainder of childhood and well into the teen years -- and I was able to blame my parents for starting it all.   :o

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2014, 06:03:29 AM »
And I wore out two cassettes of Mindcrime before getting it on CD. :metal

I wore out my VHS copy of Livecrime!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2014, 12:49:27 PM »
Rock And Roll Over?!?! :metal :metal :metal

Nice album. My favorite classic Kiss album though is Hotter Than Hell ( as referenced in The TAC Top 50).
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2014, 12:52:08 PM »
Chemical Wedding  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Operation Mindcrime is classic too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2014, 03:06:48 AM »
35. of Montreal – Skeletal lamping (2008)

It’s peculiar how I went from really not getting this album at all into absolutely loving it. I guess I could say that happens with the albums of this complexity, being that it consists of 15 songs all broken into shorter songs, but another factor was the sweetness and overly positive nature of the music. Lyrically, this is Kevin Barnes at his most bizarre, creating a concept album about his alter ego Georgie Fruit, and sometimes you don’t know if the words are written from Kevin’s or Georgie’s perspective. It helps making the album even weirder and quite an interesting listening experience.

Favorite songs: An eluardian instance, Triphallus, to punctuate!, St. Exquisite’s confessions

34. Camel – Mirage (1974)

This was one of my first classic prog records. As years went by, I realized that prog rock can sometimes be intense, dark, even sinister sounding. However, it is such a diverse genre, that this album would be an example of something completely opposite. This is one of the brightest, most mellow and happiest sounding prog rock records, at least musically, since I honestly haven’t really showed interest for its lyrical content. Then again, there aren’t that many lyrics on here. What gives the album a nice touch and particularly warm feeling is Andrew Latimer’s flute, for Camel is one of the few bands that knows to use it so well.

Favorite songs: Lady fantasy, Supertwister, Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider

33. Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon (1973)

Pink Floyd is the band that creates the most emotional music I’ve ever experienced in my life. On this particular album they managed to do it by completely pulling you in with everything they’ve got. Some of the songs are long, some are short, some are calm, some are intense. There are extended jams, there are meticulously crafted solos. It contains cinematic sound effects that add another layer to the mood of the record. It also doesn’t quite yet abandon the psychadelic nature of their early works. The lyrics and singing also get you to a place you’ve never been to before. It’s epic. It’s adventurous. It’s Pink Floyd.

Favorite songs: The Great gig in the sky, Breathe, Brain damage

Offline Mladen

Re: Mladen's Top 50 albums v. 35 - 33
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2014, 12:13:29 PM »
Wow, I really lost you with the previous update, didn't I? Well, hopefully this one won't go unnoticed.  ;D

32. Radiohead - Kid A (2000)

This album was one of my first experiences with music that heavily features electronica. I was amazed how well it creates the darkest, coldest and most eccentric vibe I’ve ever heard. The variety of sounds is stunning, but the record is not completely deprived of live instrumentation. The brass and strings play a prominent role in some of the songs, making you not really missing the guitar sound. When introduced, however, the guitars take a back seat and work perfectly as just one of the many things you hear. The vocals get very ominous as well, not delivering your usual vocal melodies. I admire records this uncompromising.

Favorite songs: Everything in its right place, How to disappear completely, Kid A

31. Iron Maiden - A Matter of life and death (2006)

When I first heard this record, I was already familiar with Powerslave, Piece of mind and some of the hits. However, this particular one sealed the deal, which is strange, because it’s a strong contender for one of their bleakest albums and also their least accessible work. Lyrically, it’s one of their most focused releases, being that it mostly handles topics like war and religion, which makes it even more intense and even frightening at times. The star of the album is Bruce Dickinson, who manages at the age of 48 to pull off what I think is his strongest vocal performance ever – every possible aspect of his voice can be heard at its best.

Favorite songs: The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, Brighter than a thousand suns, The Legacy

30. Pink Floyd - Wish you were here (1975)

The story of the album is touching and really grabs me. It portrays the feelings of musicians who are exploited by the industry and are learning to deal with it, while also living with the saddening fact that a good friend, former bandmate of theirs isn’t sharing the success with them. All of these emotions are to be heard in pretty much every note on the album. It’s also one of their most progressive works, containing long songs where the musicians don’t need to change the time signature or tempo for twenty times in five minutes. The focus is on the mood, flow and some of the most beautiful melodies I’ve ever heard.

Favorite songs: Shine on you crazy diamond, parts I–V, Shine on you crazy diamond, parts VI-IX, Wish you were here

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Re: Mladen's Top 50 albums v. 32 - 30
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2014, 12:17:56 PM »
I have heard exactly zero of the last six albums. :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2014, 12:34:36 PM »
I have heard exactly zero of the last six albums. :lol

DSOTM and WYWH?  How is that even possible?
Winger would be better!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2014, 12:36:17 PM »
I don't really care for Pink Floyd, outside of a few songs.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2014, 12:37:49 PM »
so you've heard PF songs, but none from these two albums?
Winger would be better!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2014, 12:38:07 PM »

:youfail:

AMOLD is a good album, not my fave of the reunion era, but it's good.  WYWH... it's a staple of these Top 50s for sure.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2014, 12:38:39 PM »
AMOLAD is so EPIC!!!

I love WYWH. Not a Floyd fan by any stretch but that album is great (along with Animals).
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2014, 12:40:40 PM »

Yeah.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2014, 12:41:56 PM »

:youfail:

AMOLD is a good album, not my fave of the reunion era, but it's good.  WYWH... it's a staple of these Top 50s for sure.

broski, you just said you hadn't heard Mastodon. That deserves a :youfail: just as much. :P

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2014, 12:46:47 PM »

Yeah.

color me slightly flabbergasted
Winger would be better!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2014, 12:47:42 PM »
Sorry man. I like some stuff from The Wall, but nothing else I've heard from them has interested me in the slightest.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2014, 12:49:44 PM »
Last two updates were great! Mirage is one of my all-time favorites, and I love WYWH and DSOT. I haven't listened to Kid A (or any Radiohead album for that matter) in ages, but it's great.