Author Topic: Mladen's Top 50 albums v. #1 "Sorry, but it's time to go."  (Read 17333 times)

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
Re: Mladen's Top 50 albums v. 23 - 21
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2014, 04:14:22 PM »
18. Metallica - Ride the lightning (1984)

Metallica sure fooled me the first time I listened to this record. I put on this essential thrash metal album, wanting to get familiar with a new style of music. It started off with one of the most gorgeous acoustic melodies I’ve ever heard, and I honestly had no idea why I expected some insane heaviness. Then the riff kicked in, and my jaw hit the floor. For the next hour, I was immersed in this new world, knowing I’m listening to something that will definitely stick with me for time to come. I still find it to be an incredibly consistent album, filled with timeless classics that every metal fan is familiar with.

Favorite songs: Fight fire with fire, Ride the lightning, For whom the bell tolls
That was the first Met album for me and I had a similar experience:  I was working in a record store and someone put on this new album with all this nice acoustic guitar .... and then the thrashing kicked in and I raced back up to the turntable at the front of the store to see what this new album was.  Epic!!! :metal

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: Mladen's Top 50 albums v. 20 - 18
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2014, 07:13:48 PM »
Incredible update :metal

You've got consistently nice choices going on here. Makes me anxious for the top 10 even more.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2014, 07:45:43 PM »
1st mention of Twilight in a top 50 (great album)

only the 5th mention of Ride.  I thought there would have been more.

7th mention of The Beatles, but the first for Rubber Soul.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2014, 07:48:47 AM »
17. Judas Priest - Screaming for vengeance (1982)

Judas Priest is a band that changed up their style of metal quite a few times over the years, but this album is the absolute golden mean, as it has a little bit of everything. I would also call it traditional heavy metal at its best – this is what it’s all about. Rob Halford screams his lungs out, and the guitar duo of Glen Tipton and K.K. Downing lays down some of their best guitar harmonies ever. It’s filled with catchy songs one after the other, constantly delivering riffs and drum rolls that pack a punch, but also offering a breather here and there. It was fantastic to hear some of these songs live, in a once-in-a-lifetime concert I attended in 2011.

Favorite songs: Electric eye, (Take these) chains, Screaming for vengeance

16. Thin Lizzy – Black rose: A Rock legend (1979)

Fans can argue about it, but in my opinion, Thin Lizzy is one of the first bands that learned how to create some remarkable melodies using two guitars. This record is a true treat for guitarists, being that Gary Moore and Scott Gorham work amazing together. It also contains some of the best words Phil Lynnot has ever written and reminds me why I love his lyrics so much. The world he portrays on this album gives you an impression that it’s exactly what his own world looked like. The lyrics deal with street gangs, sickness, drugs, but there is also the heartfelt side of the spectrum, with love songs, some happy, some bitter.

Favorite songs: Waiting for an alibi, Got to give it up, Do anything you want to

15. The Dissociatives - The Dissociatives (2004)

Daniel Johns created some of his most breathtaking music outside of the band that made him famous, and this project perfectly captures his diversity and unbelievable talent. Most of the songs on this album are pretty calm and warm, and even the ones that rock offer some meditative sections. What stands out in particular are some of the most original chord progressions I’ve heard in my life. Reading about Daniel’s biography and watching videos and interviews from this period totally explains the cheerfulness of many of the songs on here – he was apparently the happiest man in the world.

Favorite songs: Somewhere down the barrel, Horror with eyeballs, Forever and a day

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mladen's Top 50 albums v. 17 - 15
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2014, 11:41:57 AM »
screaming for vengeance is heavy metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2014, 03:00:17 PM »
Yup - Screaming For Vengeance is a goody.  I'm a big Moore fan but never really clicked with Black Rose.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2014, 03:13:41 PM »
Screaming for Vengeance :metal :metal

Electric Eye was my introduction to Judas Priest, and what a way to start.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2014, 04:35:34 AM »
More Daniel Johns influence.  Never got into that project though.

SVF is as Jason said, heavy metal.  Black Rose is a fav of mine from Lizzy.  I wish Moore did more with Lizzy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2014, 05:57:38 AM »
More Daniel Johns influence.  Never got into that project though.
I bet you are surprised by someone putting it at number 15 on the list of all time favorites. Especially someone who's not from Australia.  ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2014, 06:06:21 AM »
Screaming For Vengeance was an Honorable Mention on The TAC Top 50.

Thin Lizzy is one of my favorite bands, but I don't rank Black Rose near the top. And I LOVE Gary Moore. Great call, M!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2014, 09:49:37 AM »
I find The Dissociatives record to be more or less as good if not slightly better than both Young Modern and Diorama. Nice pick.

btw, sounds like they will be releasing something in 2014 as well (a single or EP perhaps).

Offline Mladen

« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2014, 09:33:12 AM »
Four more albums before hitting the top 10! :metal

14. Megadeth - Countdown to extinction (1992)

This is a transitional record, showing a band going from their thrash metal roots into a more commercial, maybe even pop influenced material. As far as I’m concerned, it has the perfect balance, and you can hear that the band is immersed in creating something new for them. You might call it Megadeth’s answer to Metallica’s self titled album from the year prior, but that would be  too easy. A lot of music was changing at the time. Although the music is still heavy, there’s a lot less focus on speed and shredding, enabling the melodies to be in the forefront of songs that have more or less traditional arrangements.

Favorite songs: Skin o’ my teeth, Symphony of destruction, This was my life

13. Neutral milk hotel - In the aeroplane over the sea (1998)

I learned about this album online, since some of the forums I used to visit were flooded by hype and praise for this album. I realized that, if it is this beloved, it’s a must hear. Stylistically, it wasn’t something that I was familiar with. Everything is pretty raw produced, the vocals are off key at times, the sounds are distorted to the point where you can’t distinguish the tones being played. After a while, not only that I got used to it, I started wondering why isn’t more music like this out there. Its originality remains impressive 15 years later. The album became an underground cult, but the people in CD shops would have no idea it exists.

Favorite songs: Holland 1945, Oh Comely, The King of carrot flowers part 1

12. Dream Theater - Images and words (1992)

Here’s an album that revolutionized both metal and prog, successfully combining them and making one new style of music that was actually as accessible as it was deep and serious. Its opener is the band’s biggest hit and was also my first Dream Theater song. I remember hearing it in the spring of 2007 and being struck by the song’s length, complexity, technicality and insanely high vocals. It became obvious that I need to hear more of this, so the album immediately became one of my favorites. It took a while for me to get the ballads, but once I realized the band isn’t only about chops and epics, I started to love them as well.

Favorite songs: Metropolis- part I “The Miracle and the sleeper”, Learning to live, Under a glass moon

11. Iron Maiden - Seventh son of a seventh son (1988)

Here’s an Iron Maiden album where every song is great, and I wouldn’t change a thing about it. It’s no wonder the band went downhill from here, they might have been aware that they simply can’t improve on this. Seventh son of a seventh son is their most epic, most diverse, most progressive and most experimental record to date. The story can get somewhat vague, but it’s all a matter of interpretation, I think some of it is really awesome. Not to mention Bruce’s vocals, you can hear he loves singing the lyrics that tell a story. It was great to hear some of these songs live on the recent Maiden England tour, a dream come true indeed.

Favorite songs: Seventh son of a seventh son, Moonchild, Can I play with madness?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Mladen's Top 50 albums v. 14 - 11
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2014, 09:38:27 AM »
Bold to put SSoaSS here.  Great album.  And equally bold to call out CIPWM as a fav song... it's one of mine as well.  Simple, but fuckin awesome.

:birch:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2014, 09:43:52 AM »
Neutral Milk Hotel is a good, but unexpected choice.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2014, 10:11:28 AM »
Bold to put SSoaSS here.  Great album.  And equally bold to call out CIPWM as a fav song... it's one of mine as well.  Simple, but fuckin awesome.

:birch:

believe it or not, but Seventh Son is tied with Somewhere in Time for most Iron Maiden top 50 mentions at 7.  And based on ranking points it is just slightly behind SiT as the #2 most popular DT album on DTF.

Album                          Count   Points
Somewhere in Time              7       181
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son   7       173
Number of the Beast            5       145
Powerslave                     6       141
A Matter of Life and Death     3       93
The X-Factor                   2       75
Killers                        3       54
The Final Frontier             1       32
Piece of Mind                  1       18
Brave New World                1       17
Dance of Death                 1       9
Winger would be better!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2014, 12:22:29 PM »
Great update. My favorite DT album and my favorite Maiden album.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2014, 03:19:32 PM »
Haven't heard any Megadeth besides Rust In Peace and Peace Sells so I should check that one out. Besides that,all are amazing albums. Especially ITAOTS.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2014, 03:34:31 PM »
Awesome Maiden album, and of course, I&W!! :metal

It's cool you like CTE that much. I remember being very disappointed with it when it came out. It's not bad though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2014, 03:36:13 PM »
believe it or not, but Seventh Son is tied with Somewhere in Time for most Iron Maiden top 50 mentions at 7.  And based on ranking points it is just slightly behind SiT as the #2 most popular DT album on DTF.

Album                          Count   Points
Somewhere in Time              7       181
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son   7       173
Number of the Beast            5       145
Powerslave                     6       141
A Matter of Life and Death     3       93
The X-Factor                   2       75
Killers                        3       54
The Final Frontier             1       32
Piece of Mind                  1       18
Brave New World                1       17
Dance of Death                 1       9

That's cool, Hath. How do you figure the points?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2014, 03:41:10 PM »
on each person's list the #1 album gets 50 points, #2 album gets 49 points  . . . #49 gets 2 points, #50 gets 1 point
Winger would be better!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2014, 04:46:04 PM »
I prefer Rust in Peace but Countdown to Extinction is a great choice. :metal

Images and Words and Seventh Son :hefdaddy I've really enjoyed the list so far. Your top 10 oughtta be interesting.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2014, 11:23:54 PM »
Flawless update.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2014, 12:15:06 AM »
Neutral Milk Hotel are amazing.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2014, 03:50:54 AM »
Eh. I don't like Countdown to Extinction that much, it's one of my least favourite Megadeth records. The last two songs are pretty good though, and Ashes In Your Mouth on Rude Awakening is awesome.

No complaints about Images and Words or its placement.

Seventh Son is neither one of my Maiden albums, it's somewhere in the middle. Moonchild, The Prophecy and The Clairvoyant are amazing songs, but Can I Play With Madness is a bottom 5 Maiden song for me.

Haven't heard any Megadeth besides Rust In Peace and Peace Sells so I should check that one out.

If you liked them, I'd advise you to listen to Endgame. Youthanasia and The System Has Failed are essential records too and showcase the rock side of Megadeth better IMO.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2014, 10:58:27 AM »
The debut and So Far So Good So What are nice albums too.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2014, 11:35:11 AM »
SFSGSW is my favorite Megadeth album.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2014, 02:42:03 PM »
SFSGSW is my favorite Megadeth album.

Here, here.  Although I like the remaster better.  There is WAY too much reverb on Chuck's snare in the original release.  They cleaned it up a lot in the remaster.  In fact, I'd say every remaster up to SFSGSW is superior than the original, in terms of production.  They messed up when they started trying to 'fix' Rust in Peace onwards.  You can't fix perfection.  Oh, except Youthanasia, thank GOD they took the Cabasa out of the percussion mix :lol that shit was graaaating. 

Also, I'm surprised at how lackadaisical (lol) people are about Seventh Son.  Seventh Son and Piece of Mind are probably my two favourite 'classic' Maiden albums, and are by far the most 'proggy' of their output from that era, along with Somewhere in Time.   

Offline Mladen

« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2014, 03:28:21 AM »
10. Rush - Permanent waves (1980)

The transitional Rush album that achieved the perfect balance between their prog roots and mainstream modern sound that was about to follow. It has some hits that casual fans are familiar with, but also satisfies prog rock fans with a couple of lengthier, more complex songs. Especially impressive is the fact that the band managed to cram all of their elements into such a short album. Every aspect of the band’s sound can be heard on this record, and every member reveals their complete diversity, yet they only needed 36 minutes to say everything that needs to be said about Rush. Quite an achievement.

Favorite songs: Natural science, Jacob’s ladder, The Spirit of radio

9. Helloween - Keeper of the seven keys 1 (1987)

This was probably my first oldschool metal album. It’s strange that I heard it before Iron Maiden, Metallica and other bigger bands, so it holds a special place in my heart. The thing is, when I put it on today, it still impresses me. I see this album and the power metal genre in general as a cross between the speed and agression of thrash metal bands and the melody of heavy metal bands. The combination results in a groundbreaking album recorded by very young guys, especially the singer, who was only 18 at the time. It’s also not a very lengthy piece of music, so the only thing you can do is press the replay button and enjoy.

Favorite songs: Halloween, A Tale that wasn’t right, Twilight of the gods

8. Black Sabbath - Master of reality (1971)

People must have been frightened by this album back in the day. It still sounds heavy, scary and intense forty years later, and I can only imagine what it was like to hear such a heavy riff in the early seventies when music listeners were used to something completely different. Musically, the band is very adventurous but still focused and not as experimental as on their subsequent records. It also contains some of my favorite lyrics by the band, and it is a shame that rarely anyone paid attention to how humane the words are, mostly due to the reputation the band got for what some thought were their “satanic” lyrics.

Favorite songs: Into the void, Sweet leaf, After forever

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mladen's Top 50 albums v. getting into an all classics top 10
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2014, 03:33:33 AM »
What a fucking update.  :hefdaddy

3 absolute classics right there.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2014, 07:05:36 AM »
If you liked them, I'd advise you to listen to Endgame. Youthanasia and The System Has Failed are essential records too and showcase the rock side of Megadeth better IMO.

+ Cryptic Writings, which is my favourite of their "rock albums" together with Youthanasia.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2014, 07:27:26 AM »
What a fucking update.  :hefdaddy

3 absolute classics right there.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2014, 10:08:36 AM »
Mladen knows what's up :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2014, 06:49:11 PM »
Good update.  Love the Rush... part of the best 5 album run by any band, in the history of ever.

Helloween and Sabbath weren't bands that I ever got heavily attached to.  I recognize the iconicness of these albums, and should probably give them another go sometime.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mladen

« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2014, 12:08:33 PM »
7. Yes - Close to the edge (1972)

If you had to sum up progressive rock in one single release, this record would most likely be the way to go. The band took as much time as they could to create something special and as perfect as it gets. Reportedly, the reason the drummer Bill Bruford left the band right after its release was that he thought the band could never outdo this masterpiece. They truly mastered their craft, creating something so wild and chaotic that immediately gets you worked up, but also delivering some of the most wonderful melodies that move you to tears. I could listen to it over and over again and every time get excited about the little details here and there.

Favorite songs: And you and I, Close to the edge, Siberian khatru

6. Dream Theater - Scenes from a memory (1999)

The group fought for their creative freedom for a while, and with this album they finally got the chance to prove themselves. This is the best record to portray how enthusiastic  musicians can be when they have complete control about everything they do. That’s why it’s filled with memorable melodies, pounding riffs, insanely tight virtuostic instrumentals and soaring vocals. The album also has a great flow and musically follows the lyrical concept very nicely. It’s one of the most influential albums of its time, being that many bands jumped on the concept album bandwagon once these guys resurrected such an idea and made it a success.

Favorite songs: Beyond this life, Fatal tragedy, The Dance of eternity

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Mladen's Top 50 albums v. #7 and #6
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2014, 12:41:06 PM »
sweet update.  I've been familiar with CTTE for a while now, but the recent 5.1 blu-ray just blew me away.
Winger would be better!