Author Topic: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Final Results posted!!!  (Read 42880 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Round Eight results!
« Reply #385 on: February 15, 2014, 07:18:18 PM »

just wanted to say that I absolutely loved this restaurant
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Round Nine results; final underway!
« Reply #386 on: February 15, 2014, 07:21:03 PM »
Dunn.  What an appropriate surname... cuz that's exactly what you are - you just don't know it yet.  You may have honed in on exactly what to send, because you're arsenal just isn't as fantastic as mine.  I still have some choices and options to narrow down.  Will send in the morning.

Vegetables vs. Bacon!

Seems like the right time to update my avatar.

Oh, and I also just want everyone to take note of my sig.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #387 on: February 15, 2014, 07:37:15 PM »
Worrd Chad.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: February 15, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
Chad, I just want to point out the irony in my last post.  You'll get it at some point knowing you pulled a "Shmeg".
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #389 on: February 15, 2014, 08:11:57 PM »

"Usually" right doesn't mean always dude.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: February 15, 2014, 10:29:02 PM »
Worrd Chad.

It's inevitabre.  Inevitabre!!!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #391 on: February 15, 2014, 11:50:34 PM »
Fuck, this is harder than I thought. Got it narrowed down to three songs, gonna sleep on it and send in the morning.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: February 16, 2014, 06:21:14 AM »

I only need to be right one more time.

Conducting listening research at this very moment.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: February 16, 2014, 07:34:28 AM »

I only need to be right one more time.

The story of every married man.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #394 on: February 16, 2014, 08:15:23 AM »
And sent....

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #395 on: February 16, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »
I found interviews of chef and jingle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pquYAEfbBFM

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: February 16, 2014, 02:38:39 PM »
 :lol

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: February 16, 2014, 03:52:10 PM »
 :lol  I don't know why somebody took the time to do that, but I'm so glad they did.   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: February 16, 2014, 06:28:41 PM »
Sent (finally).  Sorry for the wait, had a lot of little things to get done today before leaving tomorrow morning.

First, you ran a top notch roulette Jaffa.  Kept everyone involved; kept the pace moving; offered great writeups.  :tup all around.

Second, you're going down chef.  Faster than a hobo on a Whopper.  Too bad I won't be able to bask in your bitter taste of defeat until Saturday.  Until then, I got a lot of live music to listen to.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: February 16, 2014, 07:04:56 PM »
First, you ran a top notch roulette Jaffa.  Kept everyone involved; kept the pace moving; offered great writeups.  :tup all around.

Cheers!  I wasn't sure how well I was doing at all, so this is nice to hear.  And I'm glad I could make it enjoyable for everybody (or at least you; but hopefully everybody).

Too bad I won't be able to bask in your bitter taste of defeat until Saturday.  Until then, I got a lot of live music to listen to.

Enjoy your cruise, by the way.   :tup 

On that note, just so everybody knows, I think I'll hold off on posting results until Saturday.  That way, Chad will be back, and both of the finalists will be able to see the results at around the same time.  Plus, that should give me plenty of time to sit with the songs and come to a sure decision. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:15:02 PM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: February 16, 2014, 07:06:50 PM »
Chad, always fucking things up.  That greedy bastard.

That's just my jealousy shining through about the awesome cruise.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: February 16, 2014, 07:45:52 PM »
I think we're all jealous on that point.   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: February 17, 2014, 02:53:39 PM »
Chad deserved to win the last round.  Makes me wonder why I never sent a song from that album.  :lol

Jaffa, Magnus Karlsson is also the man behind the band Last Tribe, the band I sent you are few rounds ago.  Seems like his work is right up your alley.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #403 on: February 17, 2014, 02:56:17 PM »
That was a monster round through and through. I don't envy anyone having to judge it.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: February 21, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »
That was a monster round through and through. I don't envy anyone having to judge it.

Well, you guys didn't make my life any easier with the final round, I can tell you that right now.   :lol 

After listening to both songs many times over the past few days, I think I've finally decided on a winner, but I still have to do the write-ups.  With only two songs to write about, you wouldn't think it would take too long, but I've been having difficulty summarizing my thoughts.  Still, hopefully I'll have results ready to post by tomorrow as I originally intended. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #405 on: February 21, 2014, 05:45:29 PM »
:caffeine:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: February 22, 2014, 07:31:25 AM »
:caffeine:

Yeah, lay it on us dude.  I leave in 2 hours.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: February 22, 2014, 09:27:52 AM »
Alright, guys, this is it.  It all comes down to this.  It’s been a hell of a ride, and it ends here. 

But before I post the results of the final round, I wanted to take a moment to thank all of you again for participating – not just the two finalists, but everybody who was involved in this.  Each and every one of you introduced me to some great music.  There are a lot of bands I’ve developed an interest in because of this roulette, and I’ll probably spend the next year (or more) trying to explore them all.  I made a list of albums that I want to check out, and there are about forty on the list – and that’s no more than one album per artist, for crying out loud!  Not even taking into consideration full discographies.  This roulette has opened my eyes to a lot of great artists, and I’m truly grateful to all of you.  I can’t thank you enough for your time and attention.  Truly, I am the winner of this roulette, and the only real loser is my bank account, which is going to be crying in submission sooner than later. 

Sincerely, thank you all very much.  I’ve had a lot of fun with this, and I hope some of you guys have as well.

Now that that’s out of the way, it’s time to bring this thing to a close.  Here we go, folks, final round results…

lonestar: Thoughts Factory – ‘Voices From Heaven’
Before I get into a proper review of the song, I want to provide some background information here.  I had a different experience with this one than I had with other songs in this roulette, because I pretty much knew what was coming ahead of time.  It was no secret that lonestar was over the moon about this album, and he wasn’t exactly subtle about his intention to send me something from it, either – when the album was officially released, he posted a link to the online stream, ‘for everyone except Jaffa.’  :lol  So I was pretty sure I was going to be receiving something from these guys here.  I didn’t listen to any of it ahead of time, but I did read his review of the album, which was so overwhelmingly positive that it raised my expectations to unsustainable levels, and I was pretty sure I was going to end up being disappointed with his submission.

But I wasn’t.  This song lives up to the hype.  If anything, I would say it actually exceeded my expectations, and certainly defied them; it was quite a curveball in some ways.  After reading the review and learning what the album was about, I was expecting something dark and tormented.  What I got instead was a surprisingly positive and uplifting song with a lot of hope and optimism.  There are shadows of hurt and loss, but they are tempered by the promise of brighter times ahead.  Listening to this, you feel like it’s possible to overcome any hardship, to traverse any darkness and find light on the other side.  That being said, it isn’t all sunshine; there’s a distinct sense of desperation running through it, and it certainly has its ominous moments (‘cause these voices… are in my head’).   And it ends on a somewhat somber note with a haunting piano passage that leaves me wondering whether or not everything is really going to be okay after all.  But the overall feeling is still quite positive.  It’s a song about making peace and seeking comfort.  It’s a deeply moving piece of music, intensely emotional and very passionate.  I feel like the band must hold this subject matter very close to their hearts.

And in terms of sheer musicianship, it’s pretty much a home run.  It’s stuffed full of beautiful melodies and lovely harmonies, the vocals are gorgeous throughout, the guitar playing is stellar from start to finish, and the keys are magnificent.  It has a great flow, covering a lot of ground with smooth strides and seamless transitions.  The slower passages are balanced very well with the more energetic parts of the song, striking a great blend of power and tenderness.  The lyrics are both interesting and evocative, the soaring vocal melodies are incredible, and the instrumental sections are terrific, boasting some excellent solos.  The whole thing is just… well, heavenly.  An absolutely wonderful piece of music. 

jingle.boy: Soul Secret – ‘Behind the Curtain’
After that last write-up, it might seem like lonestar has this in the bag, but we can’t count jingle out just yet, because this song is definitely a worthy contender!  For a little background information, Chad initially sent me two songs, giving me the option to choose whichever one I wanted for the final round.  He compared the two songs by saying that this one would engage lonestar in an all-out prog metal slugfest (it delivers) while the other would have been more of a flanking maneuver.  After a little confusion and some back-and-forth discussion, I eventually realized that the other song had JLB on vocals, and since I mentioned DT members as being restricted in the first post, I settled on this one.  I had never heard of these guys before this, so I went into it with few expectations and an open mind.

And it pretty much blew me away.  This song is instrumentally amazing, featuring masterful performances from everybody involved.  The drumming has a ton of character to it, with lots of little intricacies and nuances that add a lot of depth and complexity to the song, and on the whole it just explodes with life and power, holding the music together and driving it at a relentless pace.  The keys are all over the place, contributing to the background as well as the main substance of the song; they paint the music with a lot of color, breathing their life into the song with rich textures, vibrant melodies, awesome flourishes, and some absolutely beautiful soloing.  And speaking of soloing, how about that guitar solo?  Stunning.  The guitar player is on fire throughout the entire song, playing with a great tone and a lot of feeling, but that solo is a definite highlight.  And when the keys kick back in to join the party, the result is just mind-blowing, a flash of nearly blinding musical splendor.  That whole section is simply outstanding.  And then there’s the vocalist, whose unique voice and style are put to excellent use as he sings his heart out with an interesting combination of toughness and a sort of vulnerability; a powerful and emotional vocal performance for sure.  In this song, every element is of very high quality, and all the puzzle pieces fit together perfectly to form a brilliant whole with a great balance of technical proficiency and soul.

The song also has a really interesting feeling to it.  In some ways it is very polished, but at the same time it manages to feel raw and open.  I’m not sure how that works, exactly, but it does, and the result is that the song feels deeply personal and very fresh.  Listening to this, I really feel like the music is a part of me, and it’s an awesome feeling.  Incredible song.   

Results: It's a tie!
Since I love both submissions so much, I’m just going to go ahead and call it a tie!  =D… … … … … … Don’t worry, I’m kidding.  I’m pretty sure both of the finalists would physically attack me if I tried to go that route.  :lol  Ties are for sissies.  This thing needs a winner, and at the end of the day, that winner is…

….

……

lonestar

Congratulations, buddy!  It was a hell of a fight, but in the end, you came out on top.  And truth be told, there couldn’t be a more deserving winner.  While I’ve received a lot of awesome songs in this roulette, if I were to try to rank them all (which I’m not going to actually do, by the way, so don’t ask), four of your submissions would make my top ten.  That’s a pretty damn impressive record.  I can hardly believe that I almost had to eliminate you in the second round; thank goodness I implemented the immunity rule, because kicking you out that early would have been a travesty, and I would have missed out on some phenomenal music.  You set a very high standard for yourself in the opening round, and for the most part, you managed to live up to that standard very well.  Excellent job. 

And jingle.boy, for the record, you’ve got nothing to be ashamed of either.  You played very well yourself, and this was a pretty close call.  The gold medal was within your reach, but in the end, the Chef pulled off the win; I hope you can settle for your bright and shiny silver.  Congratulations on second place and a hard fought final round.  Thanks so much for participating.

Final Rankings:
1. lonestar
2. jingle.boy
3. SomeoneLikeHim
4. wolfking
5. adace
6. kingshmegland
7. Buddyhunter1
8. Dr. DTVT
9. Elite
10. Nekov

Again, thank you all for participating!  You all did a great job!  Even Nekov; I know I have you in ‘last place’ and you were the first to be eliminated, but that Subsignal song you sent me is fucking fantastic, and the Frost* tune has grown on me some with repeated listens as well.  Truth be told, I really don’t think I received a single bad song in this entire thing.  Even my least favorite songs were still solid 6/10s. 

And again, congratulations to lonestar!  :clap: I hadn’t really come up with any prizes for the winner of this thing, but you can rest assured that I’ll be putting some money toward some of the artists you’ve introduced me to.  And if you want, you can choose what my sig says or something goofy like that.  Not much of a prize, but there it is.  :lol

And with that… I think we’re done!  It’s been a blast, everybody.  Thanks for the opportunity! 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:33:52 AM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Final Results posted!!!
« Reply #408 on: February 22, 2014, 09:29:47 AM »
Congrats to Lonestar!!!!!!!

Jaffa, thanks again for having me and I loved hearing some new tune from everybody.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: February 22, 2014, 09:33:03 AM »
Jaffa, thanks again for having me

It was my pleasure! 

By the way, thanks to everybody for putting up with my unnecessarily long write-ups.  I'm not sure how many of you actually read all of them, but still.  :lol
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:56:56 AM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #410 on: February 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM »
OH. HELL. YES.

Thanks man, reading your write up of the song was reward enough, but rubbing this in Chad's face is just going to be awesome!!!!

Now go listen to the whole album, the only thing better than that song is where it goes to after, such a mind bending ride!!!

Massive props to all, especially Chad, I was truly nervous even though I was sending the best I had. And thanks Jaffa, hell of a class job at running this thing, feel free to do it again, I got more music. I still got the song I was agonizing over sending instead of Thoughts Factory

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: February 22, 2014, 10:14:48 AM »
I don't know if I'll ever do another roulette or not.  Certainly not for a while; I'm a bit worn out of doing write-ups, and anyway, the music I got in this one should last me quite a long time.  But if I do decide to do another in the future, you can rest assured that I'll invite you to participate again.   :tup

And yeah, I'll be checking out the album soon.  I'll probably listen to the online stream first, since it's there, but I'm prepared to pay for it just on the strength of Voices From Heaven.  If the rest of the album is anywhere near as good, my money is as good as spend.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: February 22, 2014, 10:30:52 AM »
Unfortunately, the first six songs on that Soul Secret album will make you completely lose interest by the time that song rolls around.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #413 on: February 22, 2014, 01:38:58 PM »
Thanks for running the roulette, I had fun while it lasted. :)

Enjoy Epicloud and Weather Systems!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: February 22, 2014, 04:39:15 PM »
And truth be told, there couldn’t be a more deserving winner. 

Sure there is... ME!!   :biggrin:

I can hardly believe that I almost had to eliminate you in the second round;

Proof it's better to be lucky than good.   :P :P

No shame in finishing 2nd in this group of participants, or 2nd to the chef.  There's a reason he's won 4 of these, and is the Grand Champion.  Truth be told, I knew I blew my load in the semi's with Magnus, and I also knew I wasn't going to be able to beat Thoughts Factory.  If only the last round deadline was before the 14th!   :rollin

And to think, if I won I was gonna share with you my Lines in the Sand video I took yesterday!  Oh well...

Well, at least the USA can beat Canada at something. Now Loney knows how it feels to be a Canadian Olympic hockey player.

Unfortunately, the first six songs on that Soul Secret album will make you completely lose interest by the time that song rolls around.

That album is gold top to bottom Mr. 8th Place.

I'll echo the sentiments again Jaffa... well run roulette with some really thoughtful and all around great writeups.  Gonna miss this one.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: February 22, 2014, 06:24:35 PM »
And to think, if I won I was gonna share with you my Lines in the Sand video I took yesterday!  Oh well...

:lol  Nice try, but if you're gonna bribe the judge, probably best to do it before the results are announced... :P
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #416 on: February 22, 2014, 07:44:11 PM »

That album is gold top to bottom Mr. 8th Place.

Ouch....

Oh, and Belcher, there seems to be a problem with your avatar.....

Edit- thank you :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:40:28 PM by lonestar »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: February 22, 2014, 11:44:01 PM »
Yet he keeps sending the same song from it...

Honestly, I've tried several times on that album.  When I listened to THAT song only, I noticed it.  However, in the past by the time I get to the last two songs, I've mentally checked out.  Not every album can be great.  Not every album can be good...or ok. 

And I'm pretty sure I still have more roulette wins than jingle.  So I have that as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: February 23, 2014, 02:55:02 AM »
Congrats Chef!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: February 23, 2014, 03:38:17 AM »
I just want to say Jaffa did great job with this one, the pace and write-ups were spot on. It was interesting to follow this one. :)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.