Author Topic: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Final Results posted!!!  (Read 42364 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette v. IT'S (NOT QUITE YET) PROGGIN' TIME
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 03:18:49 AM »
Apologies if this has been answered but are we just sending you the youtube link my PM or will you proivde an email?

Well, I was thinking we'd just do it through PM, but I suppose I could provide an email if it's necessary.

If you would prefer not to give out your email, PM's are fine, just make sure you are on top of your inbox and that should be fine.  PM ultimately would be easier.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette v. IT'S (NOT QUITE YET) PROGGIN' TIME
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2013, 05:15:50 PM »
It looks like Doc is back from vacation, so I'm ready to get this party started!  Which means...

Round One is officially underway!

Remember, the first round is a freebie; I won't be eliminating anyone until round 2, so this is your chance to get a little bit of a feel for my tastes.  It's also a totally open round, with no themes or restrictions, so send me whatever you want.  PM me your submissions as soon as you're ready.  :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 05:21:28 PM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette v. (NOW) IT'S PROGGIN' TIME
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2013, 05:36:30 PM »
How long have we got to send?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2013, 05:55:59 PM »
I think I'll set January 3rd as the deadline for the first round, if that sounds okay with everyone.  I want to make sure everybody has at least a couple days to get their submission in, and some people might not be checking this thread until January 1st since I said I wasn't starting until the new year. 

So, yeah.  Get your songs sent by January 3rd, everybody. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2013, 05:56:37 PM »
Works for me.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2013, 05:58:32 PM »
I'll send something tonight.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2013, 06:34:19 PM »
Sent
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2013, 07:20:38 PM »
I'll send something tonight.

Ditto for me... maybe tomorrow morning.  You might need to tape your socks on, because Ima gonna knock them off!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2013, 09:16:07 PM »
Sent something pretty heavy. Nobody's getting eliminated, so I might as well send something I wouldn't normally submit. :P
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2013, 12:59:48 AM »
Sent. Getting the big guns out of the way before someone *cough cough CHAD cough cough* cock blocks me.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2013, 02:58:33 AM »
Sent. :corn
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2013, 05:21:49 AM »
Sent. Getting the big guns out of the way before someone *cough cough CHAD cough cough* cock blocks me.

Nah... I'm gonna play with some morality and ethics this time.  Anything you, Doc, or the two Kings have sent me will stay as yours.  Diego didn't have to worry, cuz he's never sent me anything I'd consider re-gifting.  :neverusethis:

I'm sent btw.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline adace

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2013, 12:05:59 PM »
Sent.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2013, 12:58:03 PM »

Nah... I'm gonna play with some morality and ethics this time.  Anything you, Doc, or the two Kings have sent me will stay as yours.  Diego didn't have to worry, cuz he's never sent me anything I'd consider re-gifting.  :neverusethis:

I'm sent btw.

:lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2013, 05:05:18 PM »
 :lol

Aaaaaaaannndddd SENT!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2013, 09:30:43 PM »
Following this.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2014, 03:24:45 PM »
So, I've received eight songs so far and listened to each of them at least twice, and I have to say, this is shaping up to be a very impressive first round.  I'm glad I don't have to eliminate anybody yet!  If this keeps up, I'm going to have some tough decisions to make in the later rounds.  (Yes, Chad, you told me so.)

Just waiting on a couple submissions at this point, and then I should have results ready pretty soon. 

Also, thanks to the non-participants who are following this.  I appreciate your interest.  :)
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2014, 01:52:01 AM »
I sent just now, first time checking this thread since 2014 started.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2014, 03:38:36 AM »
Just sent now man.  Sorry I didn't get mine in earlier, had a few things come up the last 2 days.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2014, 05:31:55 AM »

I'm sent btw.

Same goes for you my friend  ;)
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2014, 09:44:27 AM »
Just sent now man.  Sorry I didn't get mine in earlier, had a few things come up the last 2 days.

No need to apologize.  The deadline isn't until tomorrow, and anyway, you warned me that it'd be a while before you sent.   :tup

Now that I've received everybody's submissions, I'm going to try to have results ready within the next couple days.  Stay tuned!

EDIT: I should probably have mentioned this sooner, but I want to warn you guys that I have a habit of rambling.  I mention this now because I'm in the process of typing up my thoughts on each of the songs, and some of my write-ups are fairly sizable paragraphs.  Is that going to bother anybody?  I don't want to bore you guys to tears, so I can try to tone it down if you'd prefer. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:35:31 PM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2014, 10:01:27 PM »

I'm sent btw.

Same goes for you my friend  ;)
   :-*

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2014, 10:34:35 PM »
EDIT: I should probably have mentioned this sooner, but I want to warn you guys that I have a habit of rambling.  I mention this now because I'm in the process of typing up my thoughts on each of the songs, and some of my write-ups are fairly sizable paragraphs.  Is that going to bother anybody?  I don't want to bore you guys to tears, so I can try to tone it down if you'd prefer.

That's a good thing! :tup

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2014, 02:39:03 AM »

That's a good thing! :tup
I agree. I want to know exactly what you thought abaut the songs. :tup
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2014, 04:26:27 AM »

No need to apologize.  The deadline isn't until tomorrow, and anyway, you warned me that it'd be a while before you sent.   :tup

Now that I've received everybody's submissions, I'm going to try to have results ready within the next couple days.  Stay tuned!

It's your thing dude.  Post whatever you want, more indepth thoughts about the tracks would be most welcome.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2014, 06:02:03 AM »
Yeah, I got no problem either.  I'll definitely read the writeup on my song, and depending on my level of curiosity with others, skim/read them.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2014, 07:01:00 AM »
Yeah, I got no problem either.  I'll definitely read the writeup on my song, and depending on my level of curiosity with others, skim/read them.

You selfish bastard! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2014, 02:44:40 PM »

You selfish bastard! :lol

I'm with Chad.  Most of the time, I don't read writeups on other peoples submission at all.  :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2014, 05:18:21 PM »
I do then check out the song to get an idea.  Picking on Chad is fun.  We do it to each other all the time.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2014, 05:23:45 PM »
Results time!

As I said, these write-ups are pretty lengthy.  For my own sake, I’ll probably tone it down a bit from now on (I’m going to be receiving more than sixty songs in this roulette, and typing this much for each of them could be a bit of a hassle :lol).  For now, feel free to skim if you don’t want to read it all. 

First I’ll post my thoughts on each song in the order that I received them:

Dr. DTVT: Jolly – ‘Firewell’
Between the hard-hitting drums, the driving bass, and the raspy (for lack of a better word) quality of the vocals, this song has a really cool edge to it.  The guitar solo kicks all kinds of ass, and the chorus is actually really catchy.  I do feel that the song goes on a little longer than it really needs to, and there were a couple short passages where I found myself sort of losing interest.  I think it could probably really benefit from just a bit of trimming.  Still, overall, this is a pretty awesome song.  Definitely gets the adrenaline flowing, and the softer parts provide a great contrast for the edginess of it.  I’m not totally in love with it, but it’s got a lot of cool stuff going for it. 

Nekov: Subsignal – ‘A New Reliance’
What a fun ride!  I don’t know if this will make any sense to anybody, but I feel incredibly free while listening to this song, as if anything could happen.  It has a sort of whimsical quality about it.  On first listen, it caught me off guard on several occasions, turning in directions that were totally unexpected but that nevertheless felt perfect and natural.  I couldn’t wait to find out what was coming next.  And even now that I know what’s coming next, after repeated listens, each turn still feels fresh and new and exciting to me.  The chorus in particular is fantastic, a breath of fresh air every time I hear it.  And the whole thing just has a really unique vibe; I can’t really compare it to anything else I’ve ever heard.  In your message, you said this wasn’t a super strong submission.  Well, I look forward to hearing your idea of a super strong submission, because I think this song is wonderful.  Great rhythms, great flow, great melodies… just, greatness. 

Buddyhunter1: Gojira – ‘Oroborus’
This is definitely the heaviest submission I received this round, and I appreciate your taking that risk, but I’m afraid it doesn’t do very much for me.  It’s a pretty good song, but not much better than pretty good.  I think the vocalist does a great job establishing a unique voice for himself – I often find that harsh vocals tend to all sound pretty similar to me, but this guy stands out pretty well.  The main riff is sick, too.  And the ending is really cool as well, though it doesn’t really seem to fit with the rest of the song.  So there’s good stuff here, and overall I can tell that these guys are talented.  And I do like heavy music in general, so I don’t want to discourage you from sending more in future rounds if you want to.  This song in particular just isn’t quite clicking with me. 

jingle.boy: Avantasia – ‘The Wicked Symphony’
Wow, this song starts off strong.  The intro has a really cool atmosphere, sort of an epic fairy tale feeling, and it sets up beautifully for the rest of the song.  I love the way the main riff kind of explodes after the lighter intro.  Great stuff.  Actually there’s a lot of great stuff in this one.  In terms of vocals, this is definitely the strongest submission I received this round, featuring awesome performances from multiple talented singers.  The vocal melodies are insanely catchy for a song of this style – the chorus has been stuck in my head off and on for a couple days now, and I’m not even complaining about it.  I really feel that the vocalists steal the show here.  Don’t get me wrong, the song as lot going for it musically as well, but the vocals are definitely the highlight for me. 

lonestar: IQ – ‘Frequency’
In your message, you warned me that this group seems to be hit-or-miss for some people.  Well, I think you can safely consider me a bullseye, because this song is fucking amazing, plain and simple.  Wonderfully atmospheric, with every element – from the smooth vocals to the subtle, dreamlike keyboards – working together in perfect harmony to create a truly beautiful soundscape.  Listening to this for the first time, I felt transformed and transported.  I don’t know exactly where it took me, but it’s a place I’ve been happy to go back to again and again, as I’ve revisited this song more than any other this round.  I keep expecting to get tired of it, but I seem to enjoy it more each time I listen to it.  I feel like I could get lost in this song for days.  Happily.  It blew me away on first listen, and it simply hasn’t stopped blowing me away.  I honestly can’t think of enough nice things to say about it.  With this song, you’ve set the bar very high for yourself, and I look forward to seeing whether or not you’re able to keep up that high standard.

SomeoneLikeHim: Genesis – ‘Firth of Fifth’
Ah, Genesis.  This is probably one of those songs that I really should have heard before now.  But, alas, I hadn’t.  I’ve heard a few Genesis songs here and there over the years, but I’ve never taken the time to explore them in depth.  Unfortunately, I’m not a big fan of Peter Gabriel as a vocalist.  I know, I know, I’m weird.  But I can’t help it; his voice just doesn’t do much for me.  Luckily, his vocal contributions are fairly limited on this one, with large portions of the song being purely instrumental.  And musically, this song is gorgeous.  The piano intro is downright lovely, I love the flute section, and the whole instrumental section is really nice.  I would love to hear an instrumental version of this one.  As it is, I’m afraid Gabriel’s vocals do hold me back a bit from totally connecting with the song.  Nevertheless, the music itself is exquisite. 

adace: Threshold – ‘Ashes’
I find I don’t really have a lot to say about this one.  For some reason it just doesn’t make much of an impression on me.  I enjoy it while I’m listening to it (I’m tapping my feet and headbanging a bit even as I type this), but I just haven’t felt compelled to listen to it much.  It’s definitely a solid song, with great drumming, strong vocals, and an awesome guitar solo.  Just doesn’t seem to have much staying power for me, unfortunately. 

kingshmegland: Enchant – ‘Juggling Knives’
This one has been a huge grower for me.  On first listen, I didn’t like it very much at all.  Contrary to your hopes, I actually found the singer kind of annoying at first.  That was a little discouraging, considering you’d specifically mentioned how much you loved him.  :lol  But now that I’ve had the chance to get used to his voice, I’ve grown to like it, and I’ve warmed up to the song a lot as a result.  In particular, I love the lyrics.  I hadn’t paid much attention to them at first, but they’re really, really good.  The song also has some really tasty grooves, and the keyboard solo is simply outstanding.  So, while I can’t say I love this song, I’ve definitely grown to like it quite a lot. 

Elite: Seventh Wonder – ‘Hide and Seek’
Magnificent.  In my opinion, this song really embodies the best qualities of progressive music: it goes all over the place, but it always manages to keep a focus on its final destination, and it never seems to take a misstep.  It’s always moving forward.  Every moment counts.  That is really, really impressive for a song with this much going on in it.  And it excels on pretty much every level; vocally, lyrically, melodically, technically… homerun performances all around.  It’s pretty rare for a song to get everything right, but this one does.  Every instrument gets a chance to shine, and there’s never a dull moment.  I like the power metal flavors here and there as well, especially in the soaring vocals.  Truly a brilliant song.  If every song on the album is as good as this one, it’s no mystery to me that you love it so much. 

Wolfking: Evergrey – ‘Masterplan’
I was kind of hoping somebody would send me some Evergrey.  I’ve been interested in exploring them ever since I first heard A Touch of Blessing (which I absolutely fucking love), but for some reason I’ve never gotten around to it.  This one isn’t nearly as good as AToB, in my opinion, but it’s still a damn good song.  I imagine it must be amazing live; it has a lot of energy, and the chorus would be a great one for the audience to scream along with.  I get chills just thinking about it, actually.  I love the drums in this songs; very powerful.  I find myself air drumming along with them, even though I know next to nothing about actually playing the drums.  :lol  Awesome guitar playing, too.  This is definitely a band I’ll be checking out more of.     

And now, without further ado, the rankings…

1. lonestar
2. Elite
3. Nekov
4. Wolfking
5. jingle.boy
6. SomeoneLikeHim
7. Dr. DTVT
8. kingshmegland
9. adace
10. Buddyhunter1

Ranking these songs was not easy, because, as you can see from my write-ups, I had very positive opinions of several songs, and I didn’t really dislike any of them.  In fact, if I was rating them on a scale of one to ten, none of these songs would score lower than a six.  But I’m not rating them, I’m ranking them, and that means somebody has to be in last place.  Sorry Buddyhunter.  But eliminations don’t start until next round, so you’re still in the game!

Congratulations to lonestar for coming out on top in the first round!  It was a hard fought victory and a tough decision, but in the end, I had to go with Frequency as the winner.  Absolutely terrific song. 

And that brings the first round to a close.  Thanks for your contributions, everybody; I’ve already discovered some really awesome music, and I’m eager to hear more from all of you.  So let’s get round 2 underway, shall we?

Round Two: First Impressions

This round, I’m only going to listen to each song once before ranking them.  I’m sure I’ll revisit many of them after I’ve decided on the rankings, but I’ll be making my decisions based only on the first listen.  That means it’s your job to come up with a song that makes a strong first impression.  How you do that is up to you.  You may want to send something with some catchy melodies that’ll get stuck in my head, or you may want to go with a standout solo section or something.  Your call. 

Submit your songs by January 7th. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Round One results!
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2014, 05:31:47 PM »
Dead last. :lol

Interesting round theme... I'll have to think about this one.
EDIT: Sent.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:57:43 PM by Buddyhunter1 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2014, 05:57:02 PM »
Wow... that's a quality group of 9 songs (I'm not a Gojira fan either).  I got no problem coming 5th fiddle to Subsignal, IQ, Evergrey and Seventh Wonder.  Guess I can scratch off the thought of using SW or Evergrey!  And Ashes is #9!!!  Wow.  That's a killer track!

I know exactly what I'm sending, and luckily it fits the theme.  If I'm going down, I'm going down with the band I always pimp in roulettes.  PM forthcoming.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2014, 06:04:11 PM »
If you think you got lost in that track, just remember Iq has ten studio albums for you to explore.

Not sure I can top them, they're my favorite band. But I surely have much  more quality stuff in my library.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2014, 06:12:17 PM »
If you think you got lost in that track, just remember Iq has ten studio albums for you to explore.

I can attest to this.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2014, 06:17:19 PM »
Hey lonestar, how would you rank Dark Matter against the rest of IQ's discography? That's the only one I have, and parts of it I like, other parts I'm not so crazy about.