Author Topic: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Final Results posted!!!  (Read 42878 times)

Offline adace

Re: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Round Seven results; final four!
« Reply #315 on: February 01, 2014, 10:14:45 PM »
Oh well. I had fun and I'm glad you enjoyed the songs I sent. Thanks for the opportunity and I hope to participate in your next roulette if you have one.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: February 01, 2014, 11:14:13 PM »
Cheers.  Once again, thanks very much for participating.  Glad you had some fun.

And thanks for getting me started on TRTRTS.   :tup
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: February 02, 2014, 03:10:34 AM »
Good round, and a surprising an interesting pick from Chad from the Twilight Chronicles album.

No idea what I'm gonna send here, I need some time.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #318 on: February 02, 2014, 07:44:07 AM »
Yeah, I probably wouldn't have gone that route if I didn't have immunity.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: February 02, 2014, 11:58:24 AM »
Also... I'm sent.  It all comes full circle.  Clearly, it was fate for me to send what I did.

Jaffa... since your songs are all (so far) 20+ minutes, I'm ok if you need a bit of extra time to digest/absorb them.  You'll need to find time to listen to them all in one setting, so that might not come as easily as hammering out 5-10 minute listens.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #320 on: February 02, 2014, 12:14:13 PM »
Yeah, you should totally take your time with this one. Lots of these songs are probably growers.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: February 02, 2014, 12:58:57 PM »
Thanks for understanding.  I do fully intend to take my time with this round, so it's nice to know that you're okay with that.   :tup
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: February 03, 2014, 06:36:31 PM »
I'll send something tonight.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: February 03, 2014, 06:54:32 PM »
It's not like it's gonna matter.  :neverusethis:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: February 03, 2014, 07:16:17 PM »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #325 on: February 03, 2014, 07:27:31 PM »
I'm disturbingly turned on by that to be honest....

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: February 03, 2014, 08:11:13 PM »

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: February 04, 2014, 12:09:43 PM »
This round is going to melt my brain.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: February 04, 2014, 12:23:13 PM »
This is your brain:

This is your brain on Epic music:

Any questions?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #329 on: February 04, 2014, 12:24:38 PM »
This round is going to melt my brain.

Mission accomplished :RJ:

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #330 on: February 04, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »
Just think of it as your average Transatlantic album!

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: February 04, 2014, 12:58:34 PM »
Just think of it as your average Transatlantic album!

Well, I've already received about 80 minutes of music, and I'm still waiting on wolfking's song.   :lol

But it's not the quantity that's boggling my mind, it's the quality. Three excellent songs so far. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: February 04, 2014, 01:27:02 PM »
But it's not the quantity that's boggling my mind, it's the quality. Three excellent songs so far. 

Told ya Kade!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: February 04, 2014, 03:14:35 PM »

Told ya Kade!

Shit, forgot to send something, Jaffa, you will have something in 12 hours.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #334 on: February 04, 2014, 05:25:43 PM »
I don't envy you bro. Rating four epics and having to eliminate one, damn...

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #335 on: February 04, 2014, 05:29:03 PM »
I'm excited for this round; I want to see what everyone sent.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: February 06, 2014, 06:27:18 AM »
Alright, I've received everybody's submissions.  Haven't listened to wolfking's submission yet (don't really have time at the moment; it's a whopper), but I'll get to it shortly.  As Chad suggested, this round is going to take a bit longer to judge than the others have, but I'll try not to keep you waiting too long.

:soon:
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #337 on: February 06, 2014, 07:16:03 AM »
As I said, take your time. I'm looking forward to it! :corn

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: February 10, 2014, 10:31:31 AM »
:bump:

Ok, we're 10 days since the last round.  What's the dealio?

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: February 11, 2014, 02:08:12 PM »
I think this could be my fault.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: February 11, 2014, 02:11:27 PM »
Blame Australia!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: February 11, 2014, 04:53:28 PM »
Yes, blame wolfking, Australia, and Blob.  Anybody but me.  ... :neverusethis:

Seriously, though, sorry it took me so long this time around.  I received a total of about 140 minutes of music this round, which presented a couple of challenges.  One of the challenges was simply finding time to listen to everything enough, but of course I knew that would be an issue when I chose the theme.  The write-ups were another problem, one which I hadn’t really thought about ahead of time; I found it pretty difficult to listen to 25 minutes (or an hour, as the case may be) of music and summarize my thoughts.  It should go without saying that my write-ups ended up even longer than usual this round. 

Quality was another issue.  Every song I received this round was amazing.  Quite frankly, none of you deserve to be eliminated this round.  I’d like to just call it a four way tie for first place, but I couldn’t do that, so I had some tough decisions to make.  Ranking these songs felt like trying to decide which of my senses are most important to me.   

At any rate, my apologies for the wait.  Without further ado, here are the results.

SomeoneLikeHim: The Flower Kings – ‘Stardust We Are’
I had kind of a funny experience with this song.  At first, it felt kind of incomplete vocally, and I couldn’t figure out why.  Eventually, after a trip to Wikipedia, I realized what it was: I kept waiting for Neal Morse to chime in because I’m used to hearing Roine Stolt’s voice as part of the Transatlantic mix.  :lolpalm:  Anyway, enough about me being a moron.  This is an amazing song.  In some ways, it reminds me of great fantasy novels.  It’s very majestic, and it has a marvelous sense of adventure to it; it takes you on a journey, and every step of the way, you’re eager to find out where the next step will take you, because you feel like you could go anywhere.  The song’s imagination is simply wonderful.  It evokes in me a sense of wonder, making me feel like anything is possible.  Musically, the song is beautifully composed and impressively executed.  Roine Stolt’s guitar playing positively sparkles with life, energy, and emotion.  His vocals are also very nice, with some great melodies, particularly the refrains of the title later in the song.  And some of the keyboard passages are just gorgeous; the section starting around the 15 minute mark is divine.  In fact, I’m thinking ‘divine’ is a pretty good word to describe this song overall.  I really can’t come up with anything to complain about. 

lonestar: Silent Memorial – ‘Retrospective’
Well, you were right to be confident.  This song is pretty much mind-blowing.  I’d say it’s honestly one of the best long-form songs I’ve ever heard.  In the long run, I could even see this potentially giving A Change of Seasons a run for its money (and ACoS is one of my favorite songs ever, so don’t take this comment lightly).  I can’t believe how consistent it is.  Typically long songs have ebbs and flows to them, and this one does too, in its own way, but it never loses momentum; when it slows down a bit, it just feels like I’m catching my breath before plunging full speed ahead.  Its intensity and sheer scope really encapsulate the meaning of the word ‘epic’, and yet it really doesn’t feel long at all.  It is twenty-two minutes long, but I get so lost in it that it seems like it goes by in the blink of an eye, which is remarkable.  (Incidentally, at 22 minutes, this is actually the shortest song I received this round.  That’s kind of insane when I stop to think about it.  :lol)  It’s extremely powerful, and as you said in your message, it really is the whole package: everybody’s on fire all over the place.  I couldn’t single out a weak link if I tried.  Just spectacular. 

jingle.boy: Dimension Act – ‘Drawing the Lines of Mortal Existence’
This one’s pretty phenomenal too.  I don’t know anything about this band, but I already have a lot of respect for them, because I can feel their passion flowing through this music.  It almost feels like the music itself is alive, with its own thoughts, its own heartbeat, its own spirit, and its own emotions.  As a suite, it manages to achieve a really grand scale, conceptually and structurally as well as musically.  There’s a lot of depth to it, and its range is tremendous – as you said in your message, it has a little bit of everything, and it’s all blended together very well.  It covers a lot of ground without ever taking a misstep. I love how philosophical it is.  Sometimes when music tries to address philosophy, the results are contrived, clumsy, and cheesy, but that is not the case here at all.  With this suite, they address huge concepts with grace, power, control, and a subtle sense of mystery, and their passionate vocals and instrumentation inspire a genuine yearning for understanding.  And more to the point, the music is just terrific, showcasing an enormous amount of skill from everybody involved.  Heck, even if you chop it into pieces, the individual tracks are more than capable of standing on their own; the opening track could have been a strong contender in the instrumental round all by itself, with some stellar guitar playing and some jaw-dropping drumming, and those trends continue throughout the suite.  Excellent stuff.

wolfking: Green Carnation – ‘Light of Day, Day of Darkness’
Clocking in at one hour and seven seconds, this was by far the longest song I received this round.  In some ways the length is a definite advantage – the song really has time to stretch its musical legs and grow organically, and the build-up is incredible.  It draws me in more and more as it moves along, so that by the time it’s over, I’m totally lost in it.  The song also has a wonderful atmosphere holding it together; it has a feeling of consistency to it, a certain tone that it never really strays from, yet it never gets boring, either.  For such a lengthy song to maintain itself like that is extremely impressive.   That being said, the song is not without its faults.  There a couple parts I just can’t get into.  In particular, about halfway through it, there’s a section of female vocals that just doesn’t work for me – her voice is certainly impressive, but after a minute it seems like she basically just starts wailing, and I feel like it’s supposed to be a huge emotional moment, but it actually kind of hurts my ears.  :lol  Plus I do feel that the song tends to drag a bit during some of the slower passages.  There are a couple points where I always feel like the song is winding down to a close, and I have to remind myself that there’s still a long way to go.  Still, this is an excellent song overall.  I’m not going to try to break down my favorite parts, but suffice to say that there’s a ton of awesome stuff here.  Every instrument gets plenty of chances to shine, the choir parts are outstanding, the string arrangements are very well done, and the vocalist is great.  I have very few complaints.  Definitely epic.

Again, ranking these songs was absolutely not easy.  But at the end of the day, it had to be done, so I did it…

Round Eight rankings:
1. lonestar
2. jingle.boy
3. SomeoneLikeHim
4. wolfking

Sorry, wolfking, but you’re eliminated.  You’ve got nothing to be ashamed of, though; as I said, there was just some ridiculously steep competition this round.  You really don’t deserve to be eliminated for sending such an awesome song, but that’s just the way the ball bounces here I’m afraid.  I'll understand if you're bitter, since I sort of kind of talked you into sending this song.   :lol  At any rate, thank you very much for your time and participation.  I hope you've had some fun, because I certainly have; you've sent me some great music, and I'm really grateful.

Meanwhile, the Chef climbs back to the top of the pack again.  Congratulations, lonestar.  That song is unbelievable.  I look forward to seeing what you’ve got left up your sleeves. 

And with that, we’re down to three!  An interesting mix, I think, with two veteran rouletters and a newcomer vying for spots in the final.  At this point, I couldn’t pick a favorite.  All three of you have played extremely well, winning at least two rounds each.  Any of you would be a deserving winner.  That being said, I still have to eliminate two of you, so let’s move on to the next round, shall we?

Round Nine: …

Okay, I’m pretty much out of ideas for good themes at this point.  :lol  But that works out okay, because now that we’re getting so close to the end, I think you have all earned the right to be unleashed.  Open round.  Just send me whatever you want. 

Do keep in mind that the ten minute warning is now back in effect.  You’re still free to try to send a longer song if you want, but if you do, it’s at your own risk.   

Since you three have all been very prompt about sending, I’m not going to bother setting a deadline.  Just submit your songs as soon as you’re ready. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Round Eight results!
« Reply #344 on: February 11, 2014, 04:58:11 PM »
Mother fucker!

Did you listen to the first song I submitted before you made me change my mind?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #345 on: February 11, 2014, 04:59:51 PM »
Great.  Now I need to check out the songs Chad and RJ sent.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: February 11, 2014, 05:01:53 PM »
Mother fucker!

Hey, let's be fair here, I didn't MAKE you change your mind, I just offered to let you.   :lol  But yeah, sorry about that.  I accidentally deleted the message with the first song you sent, so no, I haven't listened to it.  If you want to remind me of what it was, I'll check it out, but I'll probably say that I like Green Carnation better just to stop you from killing me.   :lol

Yes.  You do. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #347 on: February 11, 2014, 05:02:02 PM »
Green Carnation! :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: February 11, 2014, 05:06:34 PM »
Mother fucker!

Hey, let's be fair here, I didn't MAKE you change your mind, I just offered to let you.   :lol  But yeah, sorry about that.  I accidentally deleted the message with the first song you sent, so no, I haven't listened to it.  If you want to remind me of what it was, I'll check it out, but I'll probably say that I like Green Carnation better just to stop you from killing me.   :lol

Yes.  You do.

:lol  That's cool man, I'm just messing, all is good.  The first song I initially sent was Riverside - Second Life Syndrome, but I was worried that it might not have been epic enough, you offering me to change just sealed the deal.  Knowing my luck it would have beaten Light of Day.  :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #349 on: February 11, 2014, 05:15:42 PM »
Oh hell yeah!!!!!!

It's funny you mention Change of Seasons, I was listening to Retrospective yesterday, and had kind of the same thought. Just to beat out Stardust are We is quite an accomplishment, that's an amazing song. The other two I will need to give some attention to.

I will send something later tonight.....