Author Topic: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Final Results posted!!!  (Read 42780 times)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Round Six results
« Reply #280 on: February 01, 2014, 09:09:14 AM »
Dammit I should have sent Vanishing Point in round 2!

Over Cockroach King?  No.  Out of all the songs I've received in this thing so far, CK remains one of my absolute favorites.  I'm very grateful to you for sending it to me.  :)

Anyway, results time!

jingle.boy: Ten – ‘Elysium Fields’
This is a really nice song.  On first listen, it didn’t really do much for me, but after giving it a few more chances, it’s grown on me quite a lot.  Nice vocal melodies; I love the chorus in particular.  The singer nails it.  “Puuure melodyyyy…”  <3  The guitar solo is really good, too: tasteful and emotional, perfect for the song.  Overall, the song as a whole isn’t extraordinary, but it’s quite good, and it fits the theme very well.  Very relaxing.  I like it.  I don’t love it, but I like it. 

SomeoneLikeHim: Porcupine Tree – ‘A Smart Kid’
This is pretty much perfect.  When I decided on the theme for this round, this was almost exactly what I had in mind.  It manages to be soft and mellow without ever being dull or boring; every moment is captivating.  It’s very tranquil and very atmospheric, but also very emotional, with a haunting sense of melancholy and longing.  I have absolutely nothing to complain about.  Every instrument does a great job here, I love the vocals (this is Steven Wilson singing, right?  I’m starting to really like this guy…), and the guitar solo is outstanding, dripping with feeling.  Excellent song.

Lonestar: Jadis – ‘Wonderful World’
Delightful.  This is a little more upbeat than the other songs I received this round, but it still fits the theme pretty well.  It’s… peaceful.  Listening to it makes me feel calm and content.  And theme aside, it’s just a lovely song overall.  Nice positive attitude with a lot of hope.  Wonderful melodies.  There are some sweet guitar and keyboard combinations, as well as a couple outstanding guitar passages.  The instrumentation throughout is very nice.  The vocal melodies are great, too, especially during the main refrain, and the singer has a beautiful voice.  Gorgeous piece of music. 

adace: Nightwish – ‘The Islander’
I really like most of the Nightwish songs I’ve heard, but for some reason, none of their softer, slower songs have ever really clicked with me, and I’m afraid this is no exception.  Nothing wrong with it, really; in fact, it’s a pretty good song, with strong vocal melodies and a cool folksy vibe.  But for some reason it just doesn’t quite capture my attention.  If it ever came on a shuffled playlist, I wouldn’t mind, but I don’t think I’d ever actively seek it out as something to listen to.   

wolfking: Pendragon – ‘The Voyager’
I would say this song is about half good and half great.  The first few minutes and the very end are good, with nice vocals and lovely melodies, especially the keyboard parts.  But I wasn’t totally sold on it until the instrumental section kicked in; that’s when it becomes great for me.  The keyboard melodies there are haunting, the drumming is great, and the guitar playing is awesome.   It has a nice flow to it, and a great atmosphere.  I really think that instrumental could be made into its own separate song.  As it is, the vocal parts don’t quite live up to the instrumental section, but I’d still say the song is great on average.   

(kingshmegland: Slow Motion Reign – ‘Life Simulator’)
Since king is out of the competition already, I’m not going to dwell on this song for very long here, but I did want to mention it, since he was kind enough to send it to me despite being eliminated.  And I’m really glad he did, because this is a great song.  Thanks for sharing, buddy. 

Round Seven rankings:
1. SomeoneLikeHim
2. lonestar
3. wolfking
4. jingle.boy
5. adace

Congratulations to SomeoneLikeHim!  You’ve earned… well, nothing, really, since there’s no more immunity.  But you should still feel good about yourself, because once again, you nailed the theme.  That song is amazing, and I thank you very much for sending it.  I couldn’t have asked for a better introduction to Porcupine Tree. 

Meanwhile, sorry adace, but you’re out.  You actually played very well, and I can totally understand why you would send me Nightwish, because a lot of their music is a perfect fit for me.  But as I said, I’ve never quite been able to get into their softer side.  Sorry.  But again, you played very well, and I’m grateful for your participation.  Thanks for playing. 

… And with that, we’re down to the final four!  Congratulations to all four of you; you’re doing great!  I hope you’re all ready for the next round…

Round Eight: Epic
For the most part, everybody has done a good job being mindful of song lengths, with only a handful of songs exceeding the ten minute mark, and even then only by a minute or two.  Now that we’re down to the final four, I think it’s time to let you go nuts.  So, for one round only, the ten minute warning is off.  I’m committed to listening to every song I receive this round from start to finish, regardless of length.  If you want to send me an epic without any risk, now’s your chance. 

Please note that you don’t have to send me a long song this round.  Some songs manage to feel epic and grand in a relatively short amount of time (that Beyond the Bridge instrumental, for instance), so if you want to go that route, feel free.  Just know that you can go with a long-form song if you want to.

Submit your songs by February 5th.  Good luck!
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
Re: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Round Seven results; final four!
« Reply #281 on: February 01, 2014, 09:20:23 AM »
Yay! Too bad theres no immunity. Could I still have the, ahem, token?  :P

I'll have to think a bit about the next one.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: February 01, 2014, 09:22:19 AM »

If you want.  At this point it's probably infected with something, so you can forget about 'immunity', but yeah, go nuts.   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #283 on: February 01, 2014, 09:25:35 AM »
 :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #284 on: February 01, 2014, 09:49:42 AM »
That round ended up just as I expected.  I knew that Elysian Fields was a middle-of-the-road track, but with Immunity, this was the round to send it.

It's all yours.  RJ and wore the 'ribs' right out of it.  And I don't think there's any soap or sanitizer in the world strong enough to disinfect it now.

As for this round, sending shortly.  Was gonna send this tune at some point regardless (fuck the 10 minute rule, you would've listened to the whole thing anyway).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #285 on: February 01, 2014, 09:52:04 AM »
I was thinking of jingle who killed me in round 2.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: February 01, 2014, 09:58:53 AM »
As for this round, sending shortly.  Was gonna send this tune at some point regardless (fuck the 10 minute rule, you would've listened to the whole thing anyway).

You're right.  I would have.  Unfortunately, I already did.   :lol  Sorry to shoot you down when you're so confident about it, but as I said in my PM, I actually did mention that band as a restricted artist, so I don't feel too bad about this. 

But yeah, if I wasn't already familiar with it, that would have been an excellent choice for this round. 

Ah, lol.  That makes more sense. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: February 01, 2014, 10:02:10 AM »

You're right.  I would have.  Unfortunately, I already did.   :lol  Sorry to shoot you down when you're so confident about it, but as I said in my PM, I actually did mention that band as a restricted artist, so I don't feel too bad about this. 

But yeah, if I wasn't already familiar with it, that would have been an excellent choice for this round. 

:brainfart:  No problem, I'll just go peruse my "Epic" playlist.  It's like you're reviewing my playlists to come up with themes!

Ah, lol.  That makes more sense. 

Cross thread confusion.  Wouldn't have worked Doc, I have all three albums - thanks to wolfking from my first roulette.  Unless of course you were going to send me unreleased material  :eyebrows:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: February 01, 2014, 10:06:15 AM »
Out of curiosity, what's your stance on reusing bands that have already been (successfully) used?  I'm assuming that's cheating, but I'm not above doing that.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: February 01, 2014, 10:19:41 AM »
I'd say if they've been used successfully, they're probably off limits, yeah.  I mean, there's no guarantee that I'm going to like all of a band's music just because I liked one song, but it seems like an unfair advantage. 

That being said, feel free to ask me about a specific artist.  I may make an exception if it's a band I'm not quite sold on yet.

... I realize that's not a very helpful answer.   :lol  I'm just kinda playing this by ear.  For instance, if you want to send something with vocals from a band that I listened to in the instrumental round, that would probably be okay, since it would be introducing me to a totally new element of the band's sound. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: February 01, 2014, 10:26:11 AM »
Nah, I was thinking Symphony X, but given two songs of theirs did the trick, I'll go on to something else.  One last question... what about a "suite" of songs?  Kinda like Six Degrees... where multiple tracks make up a single song.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: February 01, 2014, 10:31:23 AM »
Ah.  Yeah, I'd say Symphony X is off limits at this point.  Thanks for checking.  :)

And yeah, I'm okay with suites for this round.  As long as it's sort of meant to be taken as one piece of music.  If I wasn't already familiar with Transatlantic's The Whirlwind, I would probably even accept that. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #292 on: February 01, 2014, 10:47:59 AM »
Sent! Just out of curiosity, what song did jingle try to send?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: February 01, 2014, 10:49:23 AM »
Transatlantic - Duel with the Devil.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #294 on: February 01, 2014, 12:20:19 PM »
Oh, I could see that being a top scorer even though it's not the best epic on the album!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #295 on: February 01, 2014, 12:38:48 PM »
Hella sweet!!! I knew you'd dig that one.

And I know just the song for this round........

Aaaaaaaaaand sent....

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: February 01, 2014, 12:59:04 PM »
You seem really confident about this one, lonestar.  I'll look forward to checking it out. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #297 on: February 01, 2014, 01:00:40 PM »
If someone doesn't send The Great Escape, I will be disappointed.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: February 01, 2014, 01:08:55 PM »
If you're talking about Seventh Wonder, keep in mind that Elite already wowed me with them in the first round.  Even if somebody does send it, I might not accept it as a submission (though I'll definitely check it out at some point here).
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #299 on: February 01, 2014, 01:10:44 PM »
Oh. In that case, listen to it anyway. :D

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #300 on: February 01, 2014, 01:21:53 PM »
You seem really confident about this one, lonestar.  I'll look forward to checking it out.

Yeah, I wasn't too subtle in my message, was I?  ::)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: February 01, 2014, 01:40:33 PM »

Yeah, I wasn't too subtle in my message, was I?  ::)

Subtle as a heart attack?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #302 on: February 01, 2014, 01:43:59 PM »
 :biggrin:

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: February 01, 2014, 02:05:04 PM »
Nah, heart attacks are more subtle than lonestar's confidence. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #304 on: February 01, 2014, 02:08:37 PM »
Ohh!  Epic battle here folks.  I'm going to waste more of your time Jaffa and send another just because turning people onto bands is what I truly love about these roulettes.

That and the smack talking between the old fogies are fun too.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #305 on: February 01, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »
Nah, heart attacks are more subtle than lonestar's confidence.

:RJ:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: February 01, 2014, 03:22:58 PM »

You should know, you're the oldest of them all.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: February 01, 2014, 05:45:13 PM »

You should know, you're the oldest of them all.

Out if us 3 old farts.........  yes!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: February 01, 2014, 06:30:12 PM »
I'll bet I can guess what 'epic' King is sending.  It's just too bad he wasn't fit enough to survive long enough to send it.  :neverusethis:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: February 01, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »
 :lol

You're mine in March!

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: February 01, 2014, 07:54:23 PM »
Dare I ask what happens in March?   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: February 01, 2014, 07:55:22 PM »
We're "hooking up".

Just remember King, I pitch.   :-*

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: February 01, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
As in a pitcher of beer maybe! :lol

Jaffa, don't worry.  Chad and I will send you a picture with a salute.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: February 01, 2014, 08:32:13 PM »
I'm terrified that the immunity idol is going to show up in this picture.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: February 01, 2014, 08:33:25 PM »
You have seen Chad's picture with whom he meets up with I hope?  It's always a one finger salute! :lol